Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So I just want to confirm, but the cellphone data confidentiality stuff was not properly handled by Jones' team after the judge gave them a brief extension, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh okay, I wasn't sure if the phone evidence was free and clear now.

Also, I still get a hearty laugh at Reynal trying to argue that Mark was violating the "spirit" of the law by wanting Alex's lawyers to follow the word of law. I mean, he's a lawyer, he should understand that the word of law is their bread and butter. Also, that he never actually gave a followup link like he said he was going to kind of puts a different light on the whole "spirit" of what he was trying to do.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Devor posted:

*Words about Spirit of law and not being a dick*

Oh, I understand that fully, and like I said, considering Reynal never actually sent a followup link like he said, he can argue "Spirit of law" all he wants, it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't following the spirit of the law himself, especially considering how he was acting towards Mark the first few days.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm not a frog! I'M A MAN!

But did it turn you gay?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

chainchompz posted:

Buy 'em a few drinks first, usually.

Tangentially related I still can't wrap my head around the fact that any women saw young Alex Jones or current Alex Jones and thought, "ya know what? I'm gonna marry that lunatic and tether my life to that!"

I listened to the Behind the Bastards episodes on Alex Jones, and they talked about his early career. It definitely seemed like early on, he was much less 100% conspiracy nut, and it seems much easier to believe that early Alex Jones-as-we-know-him WAS more of a character than how he actually was, but over time, 9/11 broke him and he fell into the fear mongering snake oil salesman mindset that ended up taking root in his brain.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"My company is bankrupt because I keep selling out of all my product and have to buy more" is certainly... A strategy. Not sure I would want to say that I'm ONLY making almost a million a week when trying to convince a court that I have no money though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

kntfkr posted:

Alex Jones would be less able to obfuscate finances and hold up restitution if he were nailed to a cross.

My God man, don't you know that if you nailed Alex to a cross, all he would have to do is UNLEASH HIS ALPHA MALE SUPERVITALITY GIVEN TO HIM BY HIS OMEGAFORCE BRAWN PILLS, AND JUST SNAP THE CROSS LIKE A TWIG AND BEAT US ALL TO DEATH WITH IT?

I can see him making a pitch like that on Infowars if they even mentioned crucifying him in any context.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pattis just now filed a motion to disqualify the judge from his show cause hearing tomorrow.

https://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=23358319

For someone who doesn't understand legalese, what is Pattis trying to argue? That the judge is obviously biased against him because the judge is holding him accountable for his own actions?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Plan R posted:

Hey guys! Did you know that everybody that isn't AJ and his thralls are satanists and pedophiles?! It's like somebody scraped off my eyelids!

"Did you ever take the LORD'S name in vain? That's what I thought, you vile heathen. And did you ever look in a mirror while naked as a child? Exactly, you sick freak. Bing bong everyone is a satanic pedophile."

Probably how Alex Jones would defend it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mark said he destroyed the copies he had recieved as soon as he realized he had them, right? I'm assuming that's what Reynar was SUPPOSED to have done, but had kept ahold of them for ~reasons~ and whoopsiedoodle, passed them along?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So basically, after not joining the CT case, Reynal should have deleted the medical files (at the very least) but didn't because ??? (I'm guessing it's because he's bad at his job, as shown by this entire cluster gently caress of a trial).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If this was a normal case and Alex/Reynal weren't being such gigantic shitheads, would "please disregard" have been enough for Mark to not use the files out of professional courtesy?

In general, from what I understand, yes. From what I understand of the timeline, Reynal sent the files, was informed that he sent the wrong files, said "Can you pwetty pwease dewete the files uwu", and then proceeded to act like a complete douchbag to Mark in court, complete with swearing and offensive gestures, and to to top it off, never even tried sending a figleaf cover of "here's a link to some related materials so you have no reason to keep the other files".

That to me is the most damning part of the whole thing. It would be one thing if Reynal was acting like a dick in court but cooperating with Mark behind the scenes, because Alex Jones probably expects his lawyers to be loud and bombastic jerks, but when he can't actually follow through with something as simple as "I threw some files into a Google drive link and sent it to Mark to cover my own rear end after my fuckup"... well, you get what you get.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Personally, I would have thought 12 days later when your office's fuckup was publicized to the world would have been the worst day of your career, or the day after when you tried to undo some of the damages, and got verbally slapped by the judge who basically said "Maybe if you and your client weren't such fuckwits and actually complied with the court, you wouldn't be in this mess" in a court case that was, once again being streamed for the whole world to see.

But what do I know, I'm not a lawyer.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Troubadour posted:

I immediately [after changing my underwear and waiting a whole day]

I hadn't actually read the article, I didn't realize that he is now trying to claim that he didn't learn about the leak until the day Mark brought it up in court. Reynar... knows that when he said he emailed Mark to please disregard the link 13 days prior, that it was being streamed and the video is available for the world to see on YouTube, right? Does he just have that compulsion to constantly lie?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

StrangersInTheNight posted:

it's honestly kind of amazing that lawyers get ten full days after making a fuckup that big in the first place to try and reverse it

any other industry, you send that kind of sensitive info in an email as a fuckup, and that's it, the info is out, you're done

ten fullll days and he still didn't get it back lollll

10 days kind of makes sense when yoy consider that 1) The fuckup usually wouldn't be "Here is 300 gigs of data, 290 gigs of which you should have had a year ago" and 2) Considering the legal implications, having 10 days to make sure that protected documents are properly identified and the judge has time to sign off on the rollback makes sense.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Who are you people and what is this thread about? The only thing I can remember is a large red man charging at me with a large vat of chili. Who is this Alex Jones fellow? He sounds smart, handsome and above all else, 100% truthful and trustworthy in everything he says.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

In bankruptcy updates, they released the CT plaintiffs entirely and have a hearing set on a motion to disqualify Schwartz as the debtor in possession as he's just controlled by jones and to appoint tort claims committee.

For us laypeople, what does that mean? That's... a good thing, right?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yes Mr Jones, it is a predetermined outcome. Because you hosed around for so long that the courts decided you needed to find out. This isn't your days in court, that ship sailed, this is just seeing how much you owe.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

1hey, listen, Alex Jones said he wasn't afraid of being martyred the NWO. People coming after him because he repeatedly called them crisis actors after their loved ones were killed in a mass shooting and made them the targets of extended harassment by his wingnut followers? That's another thing entirely. Alex Jones NEEDS all thise bodyguards to protect him from the repercussions of his own actions!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So is today the day that the defense gets thrown out of court for contempt? How much longer can the Judge's patience hold out?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

That email from November 2020 from personal email accounts with "re: depo names" and a rough bio on witnesses had to come from the dropbox cache right? No way they provided that in discovery

Didn't they provide entire psychiatric evaluations of random people during discovery? Alex Jones/Infowars is stupid enough to provide that stuff. That could even be the same thing we're both talking about.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Confusedslight posted:

Wonder if the outcome of the last trial shook him and he'll be uncharacteristically less uhh Alex Jones if that makes sense.

Unfortunately, Alex Jones made up a special batch of chili to eat through his depression over the massive loss, and forgot any lessons that may have been learned from the trial.

At least that's what I figure considering the poo poo he's already up to in the past week about this trial.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/MoString/status/1572221330279505920?cxt=HHwWgIDRuYm-09ErAAAA

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Faust IX posted:

Fake edit: I went back to the footage: Jones says it costs $4 to make a single VASOBOOST, but they sell for $40, or $20 on sale. So that’s either 10 times the cost or 5 times. And this is relevant because he kept repeating that the average viewer was working class and could figure out basic math.

Yeah, that’s going to go over well.

Didn't he also blurt that out after trying to lie claim that their product markup was only 30%, not even the 80% that was listed in the phone dump? I'm pretty sure the jury is also able to figure out basic math. Mattei did a really good job getting under Jones' skin and getting Jones to shoot himself in the foot so badly it took off his leg. Honestly, I'm wondering how this trial can go for 4 weeks after that, I'm honestly wondering what either side can present to try to offset that clusterfuck of a show.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

that was in regards to what was said in the tx case and jones is correcting the record there in that he was claiming it was ~30% in his depo then

Either way, most people would, y'know, not brag about how little a product costs to make and how much they sell it for when you're also trying to convince people that your company doesn't make that much money, especially after you tried to say that there was only a slim 30% markup.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

waydownLo posted:

he also said the judge is being controlled by mattei, which is an awesome thing for the judge to learn about!

Calling the judge a puppet in a press conference on the steps of her courthouse the day after being warned that any more outbursts will get him found in contempt of court is... is it really playing with fire (as opposed to just self-immolating) if you're standing on a massive lake of gasoline while also dousing yourself in kerosene while doing so?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/annamerlan/status/1575157723276070916

Alex Jones is a literal ghoul, can the jury sentence him to the gulag for crimes against humanity?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

InsertPotPun posted:

uuuuuuuuuugh. i hate this. but...why are they focusing on the events of the day and not the damage jones himself has done?
i know i know i know: it is horrible, never never saying otherwise but...this case is about what jones has done and said, why aren't they playing clips of what jones did and said? and giving testimony of what "info warriors" have done to them on jones' behest?
again: i know, i know, it's horrid, it's horrible, i feel for these poor poor parents and what they've had to go through but this lawsuit isn't about what happened that day.

I thought they had already shown a portion of what he had been saying. This is more "This is how these people are connected to the shooting, and this is the poo poo they've gone through as a result of Jones' toxic bile". You don't need to keep replaying the same clips for every witness.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

InsertPotPun posted:

yeah i get that, but they're testifying about what happened the day off the shooting and not what jones did to them. i get in the abstract, that establishing that they loved their children helps, but what about testifying about the letters and emails and phone calls they've received paired with what jones has said on his show?

Because they already showed that earlier in the trial that he's called them all actors. Repeatedly. Now it's the families of the victims having a chance to explain how they have been personally affected by Jones' lies. They don't need to inflict Alex Jones' show on the jury every time someone hurt by his words takes the stand.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Where was it that Alex Jones' lawyers tried to claim that the money was tied up in a company owned by a mysterious individual known only by the initials AEJ and the prosecution asked what Alex Jones' middle name was?

Randalor fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 4, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hey, you can't expect me to spend 10 seconds to Google Alex Jones' full name. That's 10 seconds longer than he spends looking up facts for anything on his show.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Your honor, we decided that in addition to all of the money generated by Alex Jones since Sandy Hook be awarded to the plaintiffs, that Alex Jones should also be forced to subside solely on the products he sells through his store for a period of no less than 1 year".

Or would that fall under "cruel and unusual torture"?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

goatface posted:

Editing out the sighing or adding in the eyerolls?

"So... do we just make a note to assume that he rolled his eyes every time the prosecution said anything, or do we just copy and paste "Alex Jones rolled his eyes" between every second word?"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Do the jury members continue to deliberate over the weekend, or just during the week?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Now now, death is too easy a way out for Jones. Just make him have to live off of his own products for the span of time equal to the time his followers spent harassing the families of those killed in Sandy Hook. Per family member.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Come on "All of the income generated from Infowars and Alex Jones since it's inception!"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

OneMoreTime posted:

You are 100% correct. To be fair, I imagine it's just a lot of weird animal sounds and the words "Kangaroo Court"

An obvious pause as you hear Alex Jones say "10 Trillion dollars" before ending thr live feed and going on about how viewers need to buy and donate to pay off the astronomical amount.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So they're going to find Alex dead in his studio tomorrow when he drank himself to death, aren't they?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I just had a disturbing thought, Jones has always come off as being just a few feet or so from going over the edge and shooting up a courthouse or government office himself (and let's be honest, when you spew brainworm poison for a living, even if you know it's all BS, at some point it's going to start living in your head), is there a non-zero chance that he tries take as many people with him as he can after this? Especially when it goes through appeals and he's still left owing more money than he can possibly actually make in the remainder of his life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

We should start a pool for "Where in the World is Alex Jones?" The lowest payouts would be Russia and at home in a post-chili coma.

Where does "Ate enough memory-wiping chili that he became a blank slate and had a new personality and history implanted. He now lives in Ohio under the name of Mark Fedderburg, who had been in a coma for the past 30 years, and only emerged recently to discover his family had passed away, but had left him a generous inheritance where he now lives peacefully raising chickens and helping out at local homeless shelters" fall on the payouts? And do I need to have the new alias or resident state right, or does just having the general gist count? I would hate to lose if he lived in Nebraska and I got everything else right.