Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'm really hoping they point out that Jones had money coming in from FOX as Tucker used one of his properties for his nut-oils-are-evil documentary. Just take him for every penny he's worth and drag down his stealth supporters at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

loving Moron posted:

I completely forgot about that militant conspiracy nut job. Wasn't it a cop that took him out? I want to say he did suicide by cop.

So Cooper's death is one that would be sad and weird if he was anywhere near a decent person. For the last couple years of his life he was a "fugitive" on tax evasion charges. The government was worried about Ruby Ridge Pt. 2 if they tried to arrest him, so he was just living in his house and going into town freely, still doing his radio show.

In that time his wife left him, taking their daughter because Cooper was a violent drunk his entire life and somehow was never *as* bad to them as his previous families, but it finally got so bad that the wife realized a house insulated with guns on a hill miles from anyone was a bad place to live with an abuser. Then his daughter from his first marriage came back into his life and realized he was a monster and didn't want to live in the gun-insulation house either and fled with the help of the Feds.

He had become a problem in town over time as well, constantly threatening people and ranting about his enemies in town on air. Anyways, the cops waited until the one guy who didn't want Cooper to die in a hail of bullets wasn't in town to fake a car breaking down on his driveway and lit him up when he came down to tell them to get off his lawn. Depressed, drunk and armed like he spent most of the last few years of his life.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I wonder if Alex Jones credibly understands what consequences actually are. Like he seems handicapped if he's literally going off to rant about the trial. And his lawyer's inability to wrangle his behavior is also suspect.

That's beyond the pale in stupidity. Even if the goal is to stretch things out that's a great way to lose hard and lose fast.

I have a theory that he knows he's hosed and the lawyers are trying to get a mistrial to extend things further so he can fundraise as much as possible for as long as possible. This is a short term windfall for him as he's got a movie and book coming out and can use the attention from the trial to promote those things to people who might not know much about him. His reach has been pretty limited for the last ten or so years, so this is his chance to get back into the spotlight in modern conspiracy community. The fact that he's a big transphobe and Margorie Taylor Greene appears about weekly on his show indicates he's trying to get into the zeitgeist again and his stunts around the trial are a good indication he's expecting more attention than he's getting. If there was a media circus there every day I promise you he would be skipping his show to shout and scream at cameras instead. The best thing for Alex right now is if the judge decides the defense is not adequate to the task and this has to be litigated again as it gives him more time to lure in suckers and morons while selling his movie and book to idiots. I hate Alex Jones on a fundamental level, though, so maybe I'm guessing at things that aren't borne out by reality.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Oh man, Owen saying that Infowars covered Epstein for "decades" before anyone cared is probably the favorite Alex Jones Was Right lie people trot out. Alex didn't care about Epstein until well after he was arrested the first time, but because he endlessly talked about Hollywood/Washington Sex Clubs he moved the goalposts and claimed he was talking about Epstein and the Lolita Express forever.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Knuckle Sammich posted:

Love seeing these expert witnesses who seem unassuming easily negating the defense's "Aha, gotcha!" questions.

What's the over-under on the defense getting their own witnesses to expose what pieces of poo poo they are?

Owen self owned pretty hard when he was on the stand.

At this point the defense is just throwing everything they can at the wall and hoping something hits. Right before the break there was an exchange that was basically:

Defense: And in 2016 didn't Hillary Clinton run ads tying Donald Trump to Alex Jones?

Witness: I...don't remember ever seeing one of those (and no doubt that was because he lives in a Blue ocean where that wouldn't have played).

Defense: *Pause* But she did run those ads.

Witness: I never saw any.

The defense lawyers are like those sitcom characters who tear apart their own houses to find their keys only to discover the keys were in the left pocket and not the right pocket like usual based on how often they just completely play themselves.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Froghammer posted:

Kind of tough to put pn an effective defense when you aren't allowed to introduce evidence or dispute facts

They had a chance to produce evidence, it was called "discovery" and the fact that they outright refused to hand over documents or provide representatives of the company who were prepared on the topics they were told they would be asked about is why they are here. Alex's lawyers can't protest his innocence because he's already been found at fault. They can't talk about the 1st Amendment because this is a civil case and no one in government limited his speech. He had years to get his poo poo together and didn't. Don't feel bad for Alex Jones or even try to argue the system is stacked against him, he's just experiencing consequences for his own ghoulish actions.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I fully expect zero yelling from Alex tomorrow. I think he'll also then go back to the studio and scream and shout about how he just had to be respectful because he had instructions on what he was allowed to say and held himself to a higher standard while the court is bought and paid for by Soros.

Maybe he whines about being out of money in both instances, it's possible. He's incredibly bad when he doesn't have power or is fighting a hypothetical enemy, I can't see him trying to chew scenery in the courtroom.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

KitConstantine posted:

I'm not so sure. Alex hasn't had to deal with an unfriendly interviewer that he isn't allowed to shout down in a long time. Doubly so in public.

Mark and Bill have his number. They are gonna pull every move they think they can get away with (and some they might not) in order to break him on the stand. I don't think Alex has the ability to take that without losing his poo poo.
He'll say something nuts, I don't think he'll go off the rails, though. I assume heavy medication is in order before he gets on the stand. He's a hail Mary for the defense and they can't have him getting kicked out for violent outbursts.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Piell posted:

FYI the Connecticut trial is going to be starting as well, they're doing jury selection today.

https://twitter.com/Middletownpress/status/1554401666023038976

This'll be interesting. Probably not as many outright dumb chuds to screen out of the pool, but CT has a ton of right wingers who seem totally normal for hours before they throw out "They call it monkeypox because it came from black people." and you just wonder what the gently caress is wrong with them.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there a good legal strategy to allowing a default judgement instead of actually trying to avoid it?

I kind of assumed that they knew the default was coming and just let it happen in order to avoid providing damaging documents about finances or internal policies. Imagine if Alex Jones was using company funds to pay hush money to a mistress or something similar like there being payouts for sexual harassment. If they hadn't somehow produced documents that were not asked for during discovery (along with stuff they couldn't identify the origin of to this day) it would almost be a reasonable conclusion. The fact that he's potentially suing his lawyers for providing inadequate services indicates it was incompetence more than anything that got him here. I would accept that some documents were held back due to there being more damaging information on them than what has come out already, but I don't think this was some sort of master stroke move on his part.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

goatface posted:

Via video so they can pull the plug if he starts winding up?

Probably so he can turn it into content for his show. I would almost imagine that he'll broadcast the whole testimony and somehow violate more court orders.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

LionYeti posted:

Like a ton of things he grabs elements and bits from it but wants to think that its all in his own mind so he doesn't call it that. See also the Deep State that totally isn't the Swamp from Q world.

I think most of us are viewing Alex solely through the lens of Knowledge Fight and so don't get all of the crazy, just the stuff that is interesting or weird enough to qualify for time on the podcast. It's probably the only good way to listen to Alex as it 1) doesn't give him listeners and 2) doesn't force you to hear him ramble for three hours, punctuated by screaming and crying. Instead of using that as the basis, look at his behavior. if you do you'll see that Alex isn't a SovCit. He gets upset when any form of government does stuff he doesn't like, but he registers his cars, files taxes, has a broadcast license and while he dislikes the federal system as it is, he still believes it exists and doesn't try to repeat the magic words to get you out of trouble like SovCits do. His dislike of higher authority comes with the caveat that it's OK if he likes the person in that position. Even SovCits wouldn't say that "DeSantis is a good governor" because they don't think the government is real. Alex isn't making claims that the US is actually a British owned corporation. A lot of people are mistaking extreme libertarian views and a love of big authoritarian kings as SovCit beliefs in this case.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

We're headed to a Alex breakdown once he realizes how hosed he is with that phone download.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'm legit wondering if the phone dump is now part of public record or if there's a process. I assume if there are medical records on there those would need to be censored, but goddamn wouldn't it be great to see three years of Alex texts and documents?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SalTheBard posted:

He's trying to say that Hillary Clinton magnifying these claims is what caused the actual damage and that Jones had very little reach.

It's that whole "Hillary tried to tie Alex Jones to Trump in ads" thing that they brought up at one point like it was a thing.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

BigglesSWE posted:

I wonder how many nuclear wars Alex will predict on his next show.

My guy, Alex may shoot himself on his next show based on the number of parties who have said they want to subpoena those phone records. The January 6th committee has already said they want it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'm starting to wonder how badly Alex hosed himself, not through his testimony or lying about what was on his phone, but by pulling the bankruptcy stunt and delaying this trial. Basically, does the defense accidentally upload the phone image to the dropbox (and somehow ignore questions on if they meant to do so) if the trial went off when it was originally scheduled? Alex pulling a dumb and transparent stunt only to have it completely gently caress his life would be par for the course and all, but this is a new level of loving.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Mr. Nice! posted:

2-3 years which goes back to the start of the pandemic or before.

Considering the specific text he had from Paul Joseph Watson was about a early COVID conspiracy and we consider that to be the first text he has just as a guess then the archive of messages would go back to the Spring of 2020.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really, really, really hope this is what finally undoes a LOT of republicans' careers. Cold hard evidence of their treachery and stupidity, getting them ALL in immense legal trouble.

If so, this might end up being bigger than Watergate.

Bloatedgate.

I'll accept IodineGate or BrainForceGate

I think we'll find some stuff that looks bad on the phone, but maybe nothing illegal with elected officials. Probably more stuff from Stewart Rhodes and the various Proud Boys he was affiliated with. He was trying to yell at people to not storm the Capitol on J6, so I don't know how much conspiratorial thinking I'll put into him working with Cruz or whoever to overthrow the government.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Baron von Eevl posted:

Not doom posting, but he won't. I hope CT ends up being a higher figure, and that there is some fallout from the phone, and that other families decide to go after him too, but all that is iffy and none of it is going to result in him being broke.

CT is probably going to go a bit better because 1) CT remembers this poo poo; everyone I know can tell you where they were when they heard the shooting happened. It would be difficult to get a jury with enough chuds on it who won't have an emotional reaction to hearing Jones call it fake and a hoax. 2) Leonard Pozner spent YEARS fighting misinformation about his son's death online and got endlessly harassed both on the internet and real life by the weirdos who believe Alex. He was instrumental in getting a bunch of InfoWars stuff taken off YouTube because Alex posted his personal details including home address online. His ex wife, Veronique De La Rosa, experienced a ton of harassment as well and is part of the suit. This is direct-can-tie-to-Infowars stuff. Alex was always more worried about the CT case, he did less loving around with representation here (even if Norm Pattis is not an ideal choice in any scenario) and launched this most recent bankruptcy sham to avoid this trial specifically.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

BigglesSWE posted:

"....that's not...true?"

"Well that's our position your honor!"

:allears:

I'm following this from a distance. Context to what isn't true?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Piell posted:

Reynal (Alex's laywer) claimed that he didn't know about the accidental disclosure of documents until Alex was on the stand a couple days ago. Judge said "that's not true, you gave me the email that shows they told you 14 days ago"

Oh. LM and I can't stress this enough AO

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Your Gay Uncle posted:

This isn't me wishing death on anyone or anything like that, but I am curious if after all the trials are done and people start actually coming for the money, will Alex go out Bill Cooper style ? Bill Cooper was a piece of poo poo, but at least he (literally) stuck to his guns when it came down fighting the government.

It's kind of dangerous mythmaking to think Cooper "stuck to his guns" on fighting the government until the end. He was a broken drunk who was a danger to everyone around him and was allowed to be so for multiple years because the government didn't want to have a shootout with him after Ruby Ridge and Waco. When they finally did move against him it was because the one guy who was keeping that from happening wasn't around so the local law enforcement decided it was time to be heroes. Cooper wasn't holed up in his house or anything either, he was regularly in town, had guests coming and going and was still broadcasting for years after warrants were issued. Cooper "fighting the government" was him having more guns than a Borderlands game and more ammo than food in his house.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I haven't watched any infowars and I don't intend to, so for all I know Jones could have a capacity for humor, but Donald Trump has absolutely never been funny on purpose.

Jones is funny in the "haha, what the gently caress?" Sense. He'll get completely heated and start saying things that would be weird in context, and then when you hear a clip a few days later it's a joke. The "turning the freaking frogs gay" line is something based on real research that shows a higher than normal PPM of a chemical waters where specific frogs live is tied to a lowered rate of reproduction. Jones takes this and turns it into a massive conspiracy where frogs are just the vanguards for the plans of the globalists and everyone laughs at him getting mad over gay frogs.

On purpose funny stuff from Jones is always of the "racist uncle talking about 'chinamen'" variety and is just incredibly cringey.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Scam Likely posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/10/podcasts/the-daily/911-conspiracy-theories-loose-change.html?smid=url-share

NY Times Daily had a fantastic retrospective look at Loose Change 20 years later, and it's eye opening how young the internet was and how naive the users were. Google Videos really made it possible.

The biggest takeaway is just how amateurish it was made, literally by teenage boys in their bedrooms. It's super pathetic in hindsight and anyone who still gives it credibility is 100% a loving moron.

The best part of Loose Change was when the kids who made it had to face down actual structural engineers who explained how incredibly wrong every one of their assumptions were. In a perfect world that would have been the end of the Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams theories, but in this reality you can just claim that the engineers are part of the NWO and WOULD say something like that.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Tree Dude posted:

-Reynal ordered to appear in CT later in the month (17th?) to do some 'splainin' about why he had the medical records for all of the plaintiffs in that case.

This one is maybe more interesting than the timeline of events after the files were sent. The data Reynal uploaded in error had psychological files on the Sandy Hook parents suing Jones in Connecticut and other information that clearly came from Norm Pattis, the defense lawyer in the CT case. There was an agreement between the TX and CT systems that allowed for the plaintiffs to share specific information, but the defense was barred from doing the same. Either Reynal or one of the previous lawyers (I'm thinking it was Barnes) had direct contact with Pattis and was getting information that should have been exclusive to the CT case. That raises the question on what Reynal/TX defense had provided to Pattis in return. So if Reynal was talking to Pattis this whole time he may be hosed in CT. If a series of Infowars Texas lawyers were talking to the CT defense team THEY could also be hosed depending on how long this has been going on and who initiated contact.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

mojo1701a posted:

What's the reason why he wouldn't? I mean, isn't it the same defendant?

IANAL so I don't know.

I would think the different plaintiffs would make it pointless to share information even if it is the same defendant.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

PhazonLink posted:

Isnt Stone a literally actual cuck that pays other people to eff his eff wife?

he would watch and not participate.

He's also a cone head.

They "used" to be swingers and he would take out ads for him and his wife trying to find partners. He's claimed to have found Jesus when he was angling for a pardon from Trump for lying to the FBI.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Apparently Tucker is losing his poo poo because he and aj apparently texted like every day about intimate things. Now the Jan 6 committee has that, and that's gotta make your rear end in a top hat pucker.

Part of Tucker's End of Men documentary was filmed at a Jones owned property. The fact that they talked regularly wouldn't surprise me. I'd find it interesting if Tucker was asking Alex to cover specific topics in an effort to start laundering talking points from internet rumor mills into mainstream conservative thought.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also in the Texas trial, Bankston and co. weren't going to object to him segueing to a pill plug because it made Jones look terrible.

Sure, they totally could've, but if he wants to show how he's so obsessed with selling his dick pills that he crowbars it into his own testimony instead of expressing sympathy for his victims? Sure, keep making yourself look like a loving ghoul, Alex. Take your time.

I like to imagine that the left hemisphere of Alex's brain is dumb conspiracy theories and racism and the right is things he can say about his pills. No matter where you are or what you are doing when you encounter Alex Jones you are going to be called a slur and be asked to buy some amazing supplements that help keep this his property.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Animal-Mother posted:

I miss the harmless fun of 90's X-Files and Unsolved Mysteries type conspiracy theories. Now its all about demonizing "gun grabbers" and LGBTQ people and Jewish people and intellectuals and liberals and basically anybody that isn't a WASP, I guess.

A friend of mine and I were talking about this the other day, he introduced me to Knowledge Fight and I got him to listen to QAnonAnonymous, so we're both well versed in conspiracy theories and have some nostalgia for the good old days when some dude would travel the country claiming there was a 3000 foot deep UFO base in New Mexico where the US army was constantly fighting the Greys they had captured. It was fun and harmless and only one person I know of died due to the whole Chemtrails conspiracy theory, and that guy's death was more a byproduct of a completely different set of beliefs cooked up by a bible decoder who somehow formed a cult through an internet radio show.

I would love if we could go back to the harmless "politicians are Reptilians" phase of conspiratorial thinking. That was easy to mock and there was nothing on the line for either side, and it was rightly tagged as a fringe stupid theory. Today I could propose something like that and a bunch of internet weirdos on Gab would believe it so long as I hooked the Jews in somehow.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The one that almost drew me in was Bohemian Grove because goddamn it's easy to believe a bunch of billionaires listening to a talking owl statue is something sinister instead of day camp for drunk dumb rich idiots

Moloch's symbol/form is a bull. That's the easiest way to short circuit most of these dumb conspiracies.

Nixon also called it "The faggiest goddamn thing I've ever seen" which is...something.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I have to wonder if the Texas jurors are looking at the awards and wondering if they should have put the pedal to the floor as well.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

B-Rock452 posted:

I feel bad for whoever hired him for a murder trial in NYC. Can't really inspire much confidence if the week before your trial for murder, your lawyer loses a case and his client gets hit for a billion dollars in damages

As terrible a person as Pattis has proven himself to be, these are really two different scenarios. Norm was trying to get himself removed from the case between the default and the trial because he knew there was almost nothing he could do to reduce the damage. Part of that was just the mountains of evidence, some of which only came out after the Perry Mason Moment in Texas, showing Infowars and Alex knew what they were doing hammering on the Sandy Hook theories. The other fact was that Alex was clearly directing the course Norm was going to take through the case. Norm's talking points are near identical to things Alex has been saying on air, on the stand and in front of the courthouse about the whole trial. The bits where Alex has spoken on air about Norm calling him and apologizing about something Liz Williamson tweeted and explaining himself says a lot about that relationship.

Why he feels he owes this to Alex is a great question. I think that with the size of these judgements it means that Alex may start suing his lawyers and Norm is trying to prove he did everything asked of him.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

StoryTime posted:

Lol, I wonder if the fucker is already in Russia.

He's probably in California again begging Peter Thiel for money or trying to meet with Elon to get his Twitter account back.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

yook posted:

Didn't he list his cat as a financial asset so he could use 'they're coming after my daughter's cat' as a way to garner sympathy?

How much is his cat? I want to buy the cat.

It's a fancy cat that he valued at like $2,500. I think he had to list it simply because of the value. It it was a cat from a shelter or something it probably wouldn't be on the list.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Scam Likely posted:

If all his poo poo gets liquidated, and Elon proceeds to build him a broadcasting studio in X HQ, can the court then liquidate all of THAT poo poo too?

I'm looking forward to the era of Knowledge Fight where Alex just does Twitter Spaces blackout drunk and begging Elon to come on and save him.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

dr_rat posted:

Yeah none of the billionaire are doing fun crazy billionaire stuff, just boring billionaire stuff.

I think that guy who made the ultima games built a castle or something? But no weird genetic engineering of prehistoric animals or anything, alas.

Are you not aware of the weirdos that are trying to breed Mammoths? They won't pull it off, but it's a thing people are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Songbearer posted:

Goonfunding the rescue of the Alex Jones Cat and arranging 1 hour custody slots a week for people who donate $20 or more

I was telling my friend that when Jones finally liquidates everything my dream is to buy his giant desk no matter the cost and just keep it in my dimly lit basement and just casually show it to people who come to visit. Slowly, the rumor will spread that a guy in town owns the Infowars desk and is just letting it rust in his basement, turning my house into a pilgrimage site for the biggest idiots around.