Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Luff posted:

Weird. The second (standard) pack I'm trying to open softlocked the game twice

Edit: Three times. Opening another type of pack worked fine

this just happened to me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

very hosed up if they're just gonna let people lucky enough to open the packs early a bunch of legendaries wtf

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

RatHat posted:

It’s a Battlegrounds thing

Did it auto-smash for anyone? I wanted the new gameboard but it seemed like I waited too long and auto-smashed the bartender, which is whatever, but, curious

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Lurks With Wolves posted:

As far as I know it's a stock animation, like a bad slot machine. You don't stop it at a specific time to get what you want, you just roll the dice and if you want something besides what you get you have to buy the hammer pass and play enough to get the rest.

Oh I get it but lmao at $10 for pure cosmetics, some of which will never even see the light of day

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

AnacondaHL posted:

Oh yea reminder that 2022 World Championship is on now and all this weekend, youtube only, with drops

Lineups here (it's p grim)
https://www.d0nkey.top/wc/2022

are there? how do you get these

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Bless priest, death rattle rogue, and quest DH all look like they’ve been swung at. No idea if they survive. Glad Anub’Rekhan was messed with

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Desert Bus posted:

Battlegrounds is 100% better than the Mercenaries bullshit.

Agreed 1000% but these folks aren’t wrong that there are some serious flaws with Battlegrounds. Why is there not a catalog of every card active in the game at any given moment? The only way you can figure out what cards exist and do is to play a *loving lot.* Even more to figure out how the tribes best synergies work, even MORE to figure out how to get non-tribes to synergize.

Example: Nagas. There’s a card early on that gets health +2 whenever you use a spellcraft. This card is p much a trap. It sounds good but it has such slow implementation and very slow scaling that it’s actually not usually worth using at all. But your average person will see that and go, hey, that scales will all my other Naga spells, perfect.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I’m not really saying it’s bad design, it just requires such an advanced level of experience to use properly that most newer players will get frustrated why certain things aren’t paying off.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Disargeria posted:

Right, like picking up a sunbacon relaxer on 5 gold, selling him and pickup up the snail gives some really solid tempo if you don’t have a tribal build coming together on your first rolls.

This is probably my biggest struggle right now. Knowing when the tribal build isn’t paying off or giving me the right cards and figuring out whether to switch tribe or try one of the mixed minion setups (which I still don’t really know how to do).

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Starsfan posted:

were you playing the game or were you doing the trick where you start a game and then leave it for 30 minutes before quitting out?

I’m listening

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Boatswain posted:

The concoction Rogue is lowkey goated when whirlkick rogue is the vibe :suicide:

:bighow:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

The meta feels worse than it ever has imo. So many decks are barely even playing minions. Ramp Druid does nothing for 5-8 turns. Spitter, Burn Mage and DK mostly just store spells before they can burst you down in one. Rogue is still doing goofy miracle poo poo that it’s impossible to play around. Warrior hasn’t been seen in months.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

It feels like they’ll need to move up the new standard year because this poo poo will be unplayable in like two months. No one will survive to April.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

bravesword posted:

I really want to hear the super genius explanation for no constructed balance changes. This format is garbo and has been for over a month.

I hate complaints about class favoritism because it’s usually bullshit, but it really does seem like Rogue gets consistently more rope than just about any other class.

I don’t disagree with you but, honestly, it feels worse in the inverse. When was the last time Warrior was playable…at all? Priest had one archetype (that was p bullshit but v hard to play) and that got nerfed into the ground.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mayveena posted:

After seeing Regis's video where he spent $2K on Snap to collect all of the stuff I lost interest. There's a lot wrong with HS, but you can get a complete standard collection for less than $2K.

They have completely different payment philosophies. Snap is a game where you're not meant to drop money to get stuff and it overvalues that stuff as a result. It's a game where you slowly collect the same collection as everyone else and make do.

I also highly recommend Marvel Snap, it's quick, it's fun, it's designed for mobile, and incidentally, it's the only card game I can personally build decks in.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Toshimo posted:

I think you will find a lot of people are not interested in having the game doled out to them in a drip, especially when you can RNG into not having the counters for popular decks you will face.

It is certainly a different philosophy, and not one for everyone.

alternatively, I've been playing Hearthstone for years and have never, ever, ever been able to afford more than two decent meta decks at a time (I am poor)

e; not saying one is better or worse, just different. and if you're frustrated with the current meta of HS, why not give this other f2p, supported (rip gwent) DCG a try

Sandwolf fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 17, 2023

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

AnacondaHL posted:

In esports news, the 2023 HS schedule has finally been revealed:

https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23904520/climb-the-ladder-with-hearthstone-esports-in-2023

Awful, just terrible. So many steps backwards.

That FAQ :captainpop:

Sandwolf fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 20, 2023

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Was Astalor problematic? What part? The 8mana, 16 damage?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Starsfan posted:

I'll agree with the poster above me and say that there was nothing really wrong with the design of the card. To the extent that the card was overtuned it was that you could cheat out Brann and the 8 mana Astalor on the same turn for 32 damage, or Rogue could bounce any of the various stages of Astalor back to their hand multiple times for way more damage than that across multiple turns, or if you were a Druid you could play Brann into Anub'Rekhan into 5 mana Astalor into 2 copies of the 8 mana Astalor for 64 damage in one turn... basically the card was OP because of other poo poo which is known to be problematic that is currently in the game (Brann, Wildheart Guff, Shadowstep).

**interesting piece of Hearthstone history: with this nerf, Wildpaw Gnoll is the most nerfed card in standard Hearthstone history! nerfed 3 times (and buffed once) in just over a year in standard. The card that Blizzard couldn't get right lol.

I know I’m preaching to the loving choir here but wouldn’t it be so much easier (and healthier for the game) to just loving fix (or remove) Brann, Guff, Shadowstep?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Do the achievements in this game actually bestow anything??

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

thebardyspoon posted:

That's a shame, people seem to be enjoying Dragonflight but it's probably paying for the sins of the last 2 expansions and also the idea of paying £12 a month to play a game these days is tough.

And overwatch 2 was just literally overwatch 1 with all the monetization turned up to 11. Tryna sell skins like it’s Fortnite except you never get to see your player character lol

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I thought… in this card game with classes that getting other’s classes cards would be not a boon but a slight handicap to play around. This feels.. bad, long term. Nerf DK by buffing DKs cards for the classes that can steal them?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I feel like this is the kind of take everyone has, until they play enough decks that play their opponent's cards. It sounds reasonable, but then you play a few games of Thief Priest or Thief Rogue or any of the tavern brawls that involve playing your opponent's cards and it just feels like poo poo. Because when you look at the cards people actually play that have corpse costs, they aren't unplayable, they're just boring and massively overcosted so your hand just gets clogged up with cards you hate.

personally, I don't think Thief Priest or Thief Rogue should be able to be perma-good by piggybacking other classes good, specially-crafted-for-that-class cards. Those archetypes should specifically have BS that clogs their hand, it balances them.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

World War Mammories posted:

lmao, can confirm that my tracking stopped on game 2 of step 4 and I didn't get any exp for it either. undone by my own greed............

same, looks like it was hastily patched out??

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Julio Cruz posted:

looking through the cards which are rotating and gotta say I'm loving delighted that Guff and the Hunter questline are going

Ooh where can I find this list?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Excelzior posted:

looks like Amazon Prime might start giving out free Hearthstone drops again? There's a free standard epic card available now until April 19th.

since it's Standard i'm going to wait for Festival of legends to release before redeeming it

How do you get that?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

When Pigs Cry posted:

I don't know how often Druid actually wants to press the button, but this seems insane

3 Dmg 3 Armor for 2 mana every turn...

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

have they said when the specific release date of the expansion is?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

It only really makes sense to buy packs in groups of 10 right?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

RatHat posted:

Why would you do that?

I thought you got some benefit to buying them in chunks of 10 but I may be making this up/harkening back to a long time ago.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Tried coming back after a long hiatus. Opened two hundred packs that accumulated from free promos, lost two dozen games in a tow, uninstalled again.

You inspired me to come back and try new stuff out, what’s the best of the new loaner decks?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

lmfao I have been trying desperately to climb with Highlander Shaman and Staff of the Nine Frogs getting a nerf while all the classes that stick Shaman’s face in poo poo largely escaping nerfs feels bad man

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Chernabog posted:

I doubt that. I think it will be a 1/9 which is actually a pretty significant nerf.

Doesn’t invalidate it but it does make it fuckin lame as poo poo against anything but DK I’d guess.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Shockeh posted:

Whether they're good or not (they're not) I am very, very tired of watching Plagues & Helya hit the board. Especially when the only counteroptions are Kill Them or Steamcleaner, and they so casually delete Reno as a function.

sorry op I know how annoying it is to get your Reno’d cards turned off but also it’s good that there’s a counter for those decks

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Shockeh posted:

I love that there's counters, that's not the issue at all. I want there to be options back & forth.

(Rustrot is the single best card they're printed in years, and I wish there was equivalent quality tech cards for Secrets, Reno, etc. that both players could play around)

I mean, isn’t that what Steamcleaner is for? earnestly. Isn’t that the back and forth? I have been playing Plague DK and I definitely saw a guy turn off all my plagues and then I couldn’t get enough back in there before he played his Reno, etc

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the difference is that steamcleaner is a much bigger burden to put in your deck; tradeable is what makes Rustrot such a great tech card, you can always treat it as a 1 mana draw 1 in the matchups where it isn't relevant. Steamcleaner just sits in your hand and has worse stats for its cost

That strikes me as a pretty reasonable burden to counter the one deck type that is the specific rock to Reno deck’s scissors, no?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

flatluigi posted:

nah, always play it out. even with a helya I've had games with a dozen plagues shuffled in and they just never draw one. don't think you've lost until you actually lose

Yeah I gotta say it’s a very different experience from my end. I’ve even had mirrors where I draw every plague over and over while they draw none.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Shockeh posted:

Fuckin’ full OTK on T6 with no coin. What a truly interactive experience.

Velarok Rogue?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I can’t wait for Sunken City to gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Color Printer posted:

lmao at pendant of earth getting completely poo poo on

I’m glad I got to play against the “have 30 armor on T2” thing before it disappeared but having to do like 180 damage to Druid over the course of a game is loving stupid and I hope that deck rots.