Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SiKboy posted:

Honestly, all pickups from all defeated enemies should just be immediately added to your inventory (with the same pop-up on the left of the screen you currently get for picking stuff up) instead of dropped on the ground. I dont see what making me chase a whopperflower nectar down a slope to press a button to pick it up adds to the game other than occasional annoyance.

probably an anti-botting / AFK farming thing, that's where a lot of really lovely design choices endemic across F2P games come from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

The bards still sing of the legendary sixth character model, which the gods sealed away long ago.

playable hilichurl whose Q turns them into a lawachurl

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nyoro posted:

I caught up in the story and wow Sumeru has been shockingly good???

It always frustrates me how the only words / phrases English has to describe "tonal whiplash" are so implicitly negative, when I genuinely consider that kind of contrast, executed properly, a good thing. Genshin has it in spades; the extended Sumeru sidequest with the deku shrubs Aranara being a prime example.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

really i'm just waiting to see what they do with Khaenri'ah, the Abyss, and Celestia being more "colonial invaders from another dimension" than "benevolent deities", because every single time that comes up i'm like "yes i would like to join Team Rocket please" while the game seems more interested in equivocating between the two

like where's the Aether / Lumine side B route, because I want to play that game

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it's funny how every Archon has to be more-or-less blameless in the unspeakably rotten system they work for since they have to at least be friendly and relatable enough to be playable characters

then again Tartaglia is playable and he gets a pass for being evil purely on account of being that cool so who knows

really looking forward to finding out what the Tsaritsa's deal is in 2032 or so

FractalSandwich posted:

Maybe that's what the mysterious Kaenri'ah chapter is supposed to be.

fingers crossed

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

No Wave posted:

raiden... blameless?

with respect to upholding the Heavenly Principles specifically. like obviously she hosed up in all kinds of other ways but that particular point isn't one of them (in fact IIRC her fear of the same thing happening to her people was her whole motivation for everything she did do wrong)

No Wave posted:

The archons have mostly been shown to be uncomfortable with the current state of affairs which is why they're constantly hiding or retiring or outright helping the tsaritsa collect the gnoses.

right, that's what i was trying to get at

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There are also a lot of scenes where you do something as <character> and people react as if the Traveler did it. (Particularly using elemental powers by swapping characters.)

I kind of figured it's more an abstract way of representing the Traveler's mastery of the elements, like you're imitating their techniques or something.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also i'm currently running around with/as Tighnari as I snoop around behind Tighnari's back so he doesn't find out we're on to him

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i went back to rewatch the opening cinematic now that i've got the context from the (current) end of the main quest and my main takeaway is goddamn, we used to be able to FLY. i want that back! the stamina system sucks!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

If the Ice and water Archons are playable, I hope they're busted and their bursts cause rain and hail so you can have incredibly easy Melt and Vaporize on demand

same but mostly just the rain part. BLOOMS FOR THE BLOOM GOD

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

if the Akademiya can invent the internet surely our friends in Fontaine can develop some sort of Horseless Karriage

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Maxwell Adams posted:

Genshin Impact Tree.2 : Scaramouche, Scaramouche, Would you like a Milk Dango

:eyepop:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i wasn't around for it but apparently the game also used to support 120 FPS and then just... stopped? baffling decisions all around

i'd also kill for an actual FOV slider instead of the stupid useless zoom options but to my knowledge that one never existed in the first place

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nyoro posted:

i've concluded tigh is dreamy, actually

I accept the fennec fox boy

:sickos:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

All the playable characters that show up in the world also have silent thoughts sadly. Guess katheryne falls into that camp. Playable katheryne when?

Katheryne is actually the Tsaritsa and we've been secret Fatui sleeper agents all along

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

MNSNTZR posted:

jesus christ… why does hoyo insist on making character quests so terrible? it feels like work, and i’m one of those people who gets sweaty about artifact farming

I like some of them (having only just started playing like a month ago, so I'm still working through the backlog) but it's very hit or miss. Kokomi's and Xianling's were hilarious (and do a good job of establishing why you're there) and Raiden Shogun's was relevant to the main plot but on the other hand you also have a bunch that are basically "spend 20 minutes running back and forth between waypoints and then watch a cinematic about hanging out with some random character you barely know."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

are there any vacuum / gathering CC characters who aren't anemo?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Excelzior posted:

It literally zooms in on the platform the first time you do it and prompts you :

Genshin devs mostly continue to forget the golden rule of game design: "Players never READ"

When I got to this phase during the story quest the latch-on point didn't work. It was extremely frustrating (but then I beat him by brute force anyways).

LibrarianCroaker posted:

of course there's actually a second grapple point that isn't in view here that you need to go to first to reach the one you can see, so you might wander around until the vulnerability phase ends wondering why this stupid poo poo is so finicky

... or that might explain it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

a game where it can take weeks to bring a new character up to spec in all of their various aspects shouldn't be asking you to switch out entire teams of characters for a boss in the first place

like that should be the difference between absolute best-time speed clears, not "does this basic mechanic function as intended"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Happy Underpants posted:

And we had better be able to fight suplex the ghost train.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

No Wave posted:

I didn't understand why people seemed to have a blind spot about kuki shinobu because she's so perfect and intuitive for the role yet raiden seemed to be more popular. But a lot of players are looking for reasons to not run kuki (which is fair). Xingqiu helps a lot tho and I've been treating HP as kuki's second best stat because it boosts her healing and makes her a bit more durable.

i think she occupies a very awkward middle ground where if you're good enough at dodging you don't want a healer at all and if you're bad enough at dodging a healer who puts herself into one-shot range is a hard sell

you can avoid this through a balancing act re: how long she stays on-field but balancing acts are a lot more frustrating and difficult to get right than simple maximization

also personally i really like archers and using grass ring effectively requires you to throw away one of archers' key advantages. i still use her but it's all very annoying

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

mikemil828 posted:

If you haven't had enough of overworked ladies in Genshin Impact, Hoyoverse has you covered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXFg0bsuvcs

sleep deprived animes is millennial representation

Tae posted:

As far as niche, we don't have a hydro shielder (Which was one of the main cons to the Nilou bloom teams) so she literally can just be a XQ/Yelan but also a shield.

i wouldn't say no to a hydro CC / gather character either

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 11, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it's obviously tarzhonglia

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

all the archons we've met already have three names and that's not even counting the ones with doppelgangers with fuzzy "kinda sorta the same person but not really" circumstances like Raiden and Greater Lord Rukkhadevata

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tsyni posted:

Yeah, that reminds me...wasn't Nahida called Bule or something in one of the quests? Like...literally 2-3x and then never again? What

Buer, the name of a goetic demon sometimes portrayed as a disembodied lion's head with five rotating legs.

Every Archon has a goetic demon name, rarely used (although not unheard of) among their subjects, seemingly assigned when they became Archons. Notably the only non-Archon (as far as we know) character to follow this scheme is... Paimon. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 14, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zhongli is also Rex Lapis. I might have just been mistaken about Venti / Barbatos, he doesn't seem to have a non-goetic popular name beyond "the Anemo Archon."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Speaking of bow characters, are there any decent all-archer compositions? Or maybe "all archer except the healer" in a pinch.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Tighnari, Collei, Fischl, and Diona would work rather well. Replacing Diona with Shinobu if you aren't hard committed to the gimmick.

Perfect, I'm a Tighnari main and while I'm currently running Tighnari/Nilou/Nahida/Barbara just because that's who I have I've been planning on splitting that team up into separate Aggravate and Bloom compositions once I have a few more electro characters leveled and geared anyways.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Clarste posted:

The witches are just Fatui, and whenever you actually talk to a Fatui it turns out that they are less mustache twirling evil and more like... just people doing a job. Which I think to a lot of people makes them sympathetic.

also the fatui are obviously working on the whole attack and dethrone god thing and therefore the good guys, even if their methods are a little unscrupulous

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Eimi posted:

Teyvat means boat, but more specifically, ark and of course Project Ark from Honkai launched a ship into space. :tinfoil:

so Genshin is a stealth Book of the Long Sun adaptation?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

zhongli mostly comes across as just "out of touch and a man/dragon of his word" in the main archon quest but his personal story stuff really pushes home the idea that yeah, this is not someone primarily motivated by morality, this is someone with a completely inhuman frame of reference and you're just lucky it lines up with helping you out and leaving humanity alone

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If they were all good gods there wouldn't be anything left for tabibito-san to fix.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Captain France posted:

Does anyone ever go into aim mode by holding attack on purpose?

i do, but then again i'm a pc-only tighnari main

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Can't loving stand Scara's first phase, you get rid of the floor hazards and then he just does that move again. Or the lasers when there's no way for you to get more blocks in time.

the lasers are slow enough that you can spend a second or two regaining stamina and then dodge i-frame through them

or bring stamina food :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

basically there are three conflicting design priorities when it comes to F2P mmo boss design

1. straight DPS races where you don't have to think about mechanics at all are boring. the solution to this is to introduce mechanics you literally can't ignore, but if done naively, that leads to problem number 2

2. phases where the boss is invulnerable and you can't advance the win condition, only "avoid dying" or w/e, are boring (invuln is fine if there's something pro-active to do like gathering glowy bits or killing certain adds or something, but just "dodge for 10 seconds" is no bueno. never leave the player with only reactive options.)

the solution to BOTH the above problems is do them at the same time. make the player dodge nasty attack patterns while dealing DPS and/or pursuing mandatory secondary objectives. this, however, runs into design constraint #3

3. F2P games almost inevitably power creep and power creep, past a certain point, almost inevitably enables/creates a subset of whales who disagree with point #1 and are willing to spend bajillions of dollars to opt out of having to actually play the game. this is often the most financially lucrative audience to chase, and the minute you start catering to them is the same moment you start hemorrhaging normal players who actually enjoy video games

genshin isn't nearly as far down this self-destructive spiral as some stuff i've played (rip Dungeon Fighter Online) but there are hints of it here and there

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 21, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the idea that Signora is something they needed to "correct for" -- whether that poster was correct or not -- is really bizarre to me because, like, she's one of the best bossfights in the game? i'm not a fan of the tornado mini-phase for hopefully obvious reasons but apart from that she's fantastic

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

oh, right, this is probably archer privilege speaking again lol

what if we compromise and give the player a universal teleport of their own

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

no singleplayer encounter holds up forever unless it's extremely amenable to speedrunning / high score chasing / etc., which also requires a pretty specific mindset as a player and arguably, even as someone who loves doing that sort of thing, probably shouldn't be your first design priority

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Traveller posted:

I kinda set Genshin aside for now but I think you should know that Wanderer in the Spanish localization was rendered as Trotamundos.

You know. Globetrotter.

THE ARROGATION OF B-BALLERS ENDS NOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

shinobu fills the SSS+ meta role of being Arataki Itto's straight man