Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
The Traveler is a feinting goat and I'm tired of it. Is there any situation where their first resort isn't falling down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
That lvl 90 guy is an npc and not a rollable character right? Tears in the rain.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Oh No! The robot is sad and now I'm sad! :smith::smith::smith:

Poor clicking puppy :smith:

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Excuse me, I will not have my "Drop Rocks on Everything as Fast as Possible" playstyle dismissed.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I like the game part of the game, where I push buttons and things happen. The characterization is very much tertiary to me.

Ningguang is a good example. Throw rocks, put up a wall, throw more rocks, power move is throwing the most rocks and, at C6, following it up with even more rocks. Tons of fun. Her characterization is some kind of rags to riches high class lady? She's some kind of bureaucracy queen? Sure. fine. Why is she going on this adventure with me? why is she climbing mountains to get flowers and jumping into streams to catch fish? Why is she doing all of these rough and tumble things in heels? If she's a load bearing functionary shouldn't she be fulfilling her responsibilities in a tacky golden office?

Kokomi is another example. During her quest I remember thinking 'delegate delegate delegate, good leaders cultivate competent staff.' She's setting up her entire city to collapse from her getting food poisoning or the flu. With all the terrible burden of her necessity what the hell is she doing flouncing around with me goofing off and doing these dumb event activities?

The character's I like most are the lower class screw ups. Razor is a feral man who is completely at home getting covered in adventure grime. Bennett is the perennial screw up refusing to let reality douse his optimism. Fischl is trying to live up to the beauty of her delusions. Mona REALLY needs the money. Itto is going to win that banana doll and show that carnie who's boss. All the divine royalties in this game should just ask their handlers to front them a line of credit and stop bothering me with how special their torment is.

The writing is at the same time front loaded and withheld: you're given these big dumps of text slowly doled out, sentence after sentence, over perfunctory little animations. If it was a single big paragraph I could read it and move on but someone had to storyboard the logistician's 'story about a wagon' and why we need to really soak in the dangers of moving things on a wagon and every NPC has these hidden, meaningless depths. My response to the chasm NPC's cough was hoping she'd die at the end or erupt into some kind of fun to fight goop monster. No such luck. After however many chapters of ignoring good advice her big moment was following good advice. A grand vindication for people who only needed to be told once.

It's all so trite. Let me hit things and take their stuff.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Boat Stuck posted:

The canonical story is it's just you and Paimon, and occasionally someone joins you (the "5th" party member). All the other characters you play as are not actually there for plot purposes. That's why when you talk to an NPC, the game will swap in Traveler for the cutscene.

What kind of stupid bullshit is that? The shapeshifting thing-creature theory was more fun than that. The traveler might as well have cracked their head open on the beach we met them on and the rest of this is //just a dream//. No wonder the writing is crap.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Mix. posted:

is it really that much of an issue that a gacha game's combat isn't a 1:1 to the story events :v:

It isn't :sweatdrop: I just need to come to terms with this game being a way to sell candy flavored smut to nerds. That just makes the writing defenders more baffling.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Under no circumstance is my spittle ridden dismay to be construed as not liking the little plant dudes! Their only short-coming is not being pals with the cuter stripes of fungi.

Edit: Let me put cute fungi into the teapot mihoyo. Do the right thing.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 9, 2022

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Is the 'Gladiator's Finale' set best in slot for anyone? I'm tempted to convert all of them and I can't remember ever seeking that set out.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I've complained about being shown up and chumped by NPCs in cutscenes but it's totally ok if the cute little plant guys do it.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm just waiting for them to finally let us play as cutscene Traveler, who has the power to quickswap elements. And if that's too complicated (it probably is) maybe we'll eventually get double elements Traveler. Anemo + Geo (as seen in a cutscene!), Electro + Dendro, Hydro + Pyro and then Ice can sit in the corner and be sad.

Alternatively maybe we'll get to recruit our sibling as an Abyss element user and they'll be OP.

Someone up-thread suggested letting the traveler take up multiple slots as different elements. That would be pretty cool.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Remove all player ICDs or give enemies ICDs. Being frozen over and over again by the Cryo-Whopperflower you made me fight in water is no fun if I can't inflict the same bullshit on enemies.

Edit: Make teleporting strip all shields from an enemy. I can deal with teleporting or shields but enemies that make heavy use of both feels passive aggressive. I'm talking about YOU oneiric euthymia.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 23, 2022

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
The game needs a feast mechanic where you invite a set number of characters to eat a set number of dishes and get a mini cutscene and friendship points. The food-lore is going to waste.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I couldn't stand any of the gremlin characters when I started playing this game. The first crack in that wall was Sayu. Her utility talent let me get the jump on critters and get that tasty tasty unagi meat. Now Nahida is in the mix and her utility talent is amazing. I imagine my traveler gripping her by both legs and swinging her around like a dowsing rod.

"Pick these flowers" "Now pick these fruits" "Now scoop up these beetles" "I don't know what these are but I'm running low and you can pick them"

Her being an absolute beast in combat is the icing on the tiny, big-headed cake.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Fontaine had better have trains.

And one of those trains had better become haunted.

And we had better be able to fight the ghost train.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
The 'mouche fight feels like a transformers commercial trying to sell a digimon.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

basically there are three conflicting design priorities when it comes to F2P mmo boss design

1. straight DPS races where you don't have to think about mechanics at all are boring. the solution to this is to introduce mechanics you literally can't ignore, but if done naively, that leads to problem number 2

2. phases where the boss is invulnerable and you can't advance the win condition, only "avoid dying" or w/e, are boring (invuln is fine if there's something pro-active to do like gathering glowy bits or killing certain adds or something, but just "dodge for 10 seconds" is no bueno. never leave the player with only reactive options.)

the solution to BOTH the above problems is do them at the same time. make the player dodge nasty attack patterns while dealing DPS and/or pursuing mandatory secondary objectives. this, however, runs into design constraint #3

3. F2P games almost inevitably power creep and power creep, past a certain point, almost inevitably enables/creates a subset of whales who disagree with point #1 and are willing to spend bajillions of dollars to opt out of having to actually play the game. this is often the most financially lucrative audience to chase, and the minute you start catering to them is the same moment you start hemorrhaging normal players who actually enjoy video games

genshin isn't nearly as far down this self-destructive spiral as some stuff i've played (rip Dungeon Fighter Online) but there are hints of it here and there

This is really insightful.

The thing I hate most about the combat is teleporting. I have to chase the boss (Or the whopperflower or the abyss mage or the cicin mage or the mirror maiden...) for the fight I want to have. Raiden and Scaramouche both climb into giant mecha and both blink out of the way of my foot-bound dps. It's sad that the most obvious solution is to grind big enough numbers to obviate the mechanics of those fights but even if I do that there are bosses that waste my time with what can only be described as dance solos.

Edit: After using Heizou and his enemy seeking E & Q a lot, there's no excuse for Ningguang's lovely tracking. The lady has too much poise to have such a sloppy Q.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 22, 2022

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Gotta confess, when I first played the game I totally thought the twist of XQ’s story quest would be that he was a girl disguising herself as a boy for some sort of pseudo-Shakespearean reason.

Lady authors used to do that to be taken seriously as writers. I'm not sure how likely that is in Tevyat or how we'd solve that issue through domains and puzzles...

Edit: On second thought this doesn't make sense. I'm pretty sure most of Tevyat's leaders and archons are ladies.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 26, 2022

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
There are politics threads for talking about politics and I prefer that this thread stay a game thread for talking about a game.

That being said I hope the Mihoyo devs stay safe through all the happenstance of civil disruption.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I use Barbara because she was my first security blanket healer when I started and I don't like benching anyone for too long once they're developed. She even does incidental damage if you give her an ocean-hued clam. It isn't optimal but optimal play never appealed to me.

I got Chongyun to 90/90 9/9/9 before reading his talent descriptions. I don't have the diligence or basic awareness for optimal play.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I started playing because I wanted to play Breath of the Wild on PC :shrug:. I was immediately disappointed by the lack of dress up.

The last gatcha game I had played was Gems of War.

Edit: Also I remember first reading about this game and every third post being about re-rolling new accounts for better characters, it nearly scared me off. God drat that was weird.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 5, 2022

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Baiard posted:

Never. Well, maybe. There's always a chance!

The game has split selves, time hijinks and multiple flavors of synthetic life. Never say never.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I did the 'Mouche quest and I wish good guy 'Mouche could have stuck around longer. I really thought they were going for a Raiden/Ei dynamic where disaster 'Mouche screams about friendship being a lie told by the weak and good guy 'Mouche interjecting that he likes friendship (and dango.)

Does anything like that come through in the friendship lines?

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
There's lots of fancy dresses in game but they're all too over designed to be swishy. Give me more swishy dresses.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
No evil from the traveler's past will ever compare to them scaring foxes to steal their delicious apples.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

I knew this would happen but seeing it feels weird. These being the two best best shop characters to C6. I still want to max out the rest of freebie crew just because of how much I used them in the early game.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

I like yunjin's design but I've never actually used her I think

I hate Yunijin's design and have never used her. :colbert:

There are so so so many better designs for an opera singer, why did you go with puff-basket mihoyo??

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Find an opera where a general sings about how amazing his horse is and give Yunjin that outfit. The general's or the horse's, I don't care. Either would be better than the dippin'-dots she has now.

Speaking of outfit woes and Kokomi: All this time I though Kokomi was wearing a dress but NO! A jacket with super long tails and thigh-highs a dress does not make! Give me slinky full-length dresses or give me pantless with thigh-highs for men! It's 2023 dammit!

Gearhead posted:

EDIT: For context, this is the kind of character Yun Jin specializes in.

Edit: The gems are cool and good, it's the silhouette distorting bonnet and puffs that I hate. Make it a crown or a circlet but a bonnet?? gently caress Off. I want it to be sharper instead of this rounded plate they've put it in. A spiky Yunjin is a cooler Yunjin.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 8, 2023

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I want a bike gadget. I don't think it's likely because special sprints and mobility talents help sell characters. If fontaine is all techy then I want to see people pedal around. Diving might also be fun but water levels are usually a big departure from gameplay so maybe not.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

All of the bosses are a pain in the rear end

All bosses should be replaced by dance-off QTEs.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I thought Kojou Sara's C6 was a boring (but still respectable) elecro-res shred. 60% bonus electro crit damage under her buff is absurd. :eek:

Edit: and mine's C0 :(

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 14, 2023

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Characters in this game are too perfect for me to care about. Gods, paragons and prodigies don't have anything to really risk since they're all too competent for any of their set-backs to last. For the longest time I thought Ganyu and Shenhe were the same character because all of their involvement was neatly sequestered to the time mihoyo was pushing them. Ditto Ayaka and Kokomi. Ganyu being a 3000 year old pushover killed any investment I had in her character development, she might as well be a seinfeld character trapped in infinite syndication.

Once I get a character and start using them they begin to grow on me since they start actually doing things instead of reciting their ad-copy. Nahida has been the stand-out, if she's on my team I have a very real chance of being distracted by picking flowers. Superb in game characterization.

It would be easier for me to care about anyone if they were demoted. Gorou should be a scout, not a general. Raiden should be a fanatical retainer, not the big show itself. Ningguang an actuary or a reeve. Xiao can stay where he is, his job is over and he's waiting by the hotline for the next big crisis.

Give me losers. You can put losers anywhere and their scrambling matters. If they win there's no guarantee that win will last and if they lose they're not important enough for anyone to rush in and save them. Perfectly flawed wonder pouters are the reason I still want a skip cutscene button.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Itto is the loving best.

You could give Itto universe splitting, horizon scouring power and he will still be tricked into a crisis of identity because he lost a 'cup and ball' game.

Best character. Put him in everything. Give him more outfits.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Endorph posted:

i mean this game cant really do 'losers' or 'unimportant characters' because its trying to do a world spanning adventure and they release characters so slowly. arknights can do unimportant ground level characters because it has 200+ characters in it. goldenglow can be a barber who had her house burned down in a tax fraud scheme because they can also put out a bunch of characters who are actually important to the plot and world.

genshin cant do that. when you only release like, 20 characters a year, every one of those characters has to be important to the world and setting if they also want to tell the stories and do the worldbuilding they want to do. thats why even someone like yaoyao has to work for fairly important people, or why itto has to have a personal connection to ayato and sara.

I get this but here's the thing: the more powerful you are in a given status-quo the more likely you are to deny that the same status-quo is melting beneath your feet. Powerful, connected and comfortable people are the first to tell you everything's fine, keep working and don't question how involved I was in causing this mess.

This touches on another stitch I have. I've collected four archons but they're all real cagey about what's going on and what the rules really are. If these were the antagonists it would make sense that they would hide what they know but I'm getting their friendships scores higher and higher. Why be so coy? Losers would be out of the loop but these are the movers and shakers. Why does my time with them count for so little other than nice dates?

Edit: D-D-Doublepost!

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I cannot see any advantages to demoting characters a tier. Oh wow now they have a uniquely modeled boss for us all to wish for great! I don't see how that helps.

I want characters to be demoted socially not mechanically. King becomes duke, Knight becomes Squire, that sort of thing. Five stars stay five stars and four four. I don't want to see anyone wishing for Dvalin or Azhdaha, I want characters to be demoted writing-wise. People on the rear end end of a setting are way more enthusiastic about up-ending it and that's the fun part of the writing for me.

Edit: God playing as any of the set-piece bosses would be misery.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 7, 2023

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I'm still pretty tickled by the idea of playable bosses and the characterization thereof.

Hi I'm Azhdaha. RAGABAGABAGABAGA

Hi I'm Dvalin. I was a loyal servant of the wind archon until: RAGABAGABAGABAGA

Hi I'm Andrius. I was also a loyal servant of the wind archon until: RAGABAGABAGABAGA

Hi I'm Raiden. I'm trapped in the pursuit of eternity so: RAGABAGABAGABAGA

Hi I'm Childe. I let my Vision and Delusion touch so: RAGABAGABAGABAGA

Hi I'm Signora. I couldn't stop huffing liquid flame so: RAGABAGABAGABAGA

Hi I'm Scaramouche. I couldn't get my mech's RPMs right so: RAGABAGABAGABAGA

RareAcumen posted:

I was trying to say 'Okay we move everyone down one step on the social ladder, and what does that change?' Because if now everyone's a vice president or vice prime minister what exactly does that do for us? Now there's someone in charge that we're not seeing or interacting with that's got all the actual power. Cool, now everybody gets their own Varka, I don't see what Thoma being the next-best Fixer in Inazuma does to fix things.

Because if you do that then you need to fill that spot with a different character that we never see and I don't really understand why that'd be an improvement.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood your post.

The people on top are trying to plug the holes as everything comes undone but as those problems become more and more apparent it falls first and hardest on the folks at the fringes.

Thomas is kind of a bad example, a fixer is exactly the kind of person to be sent out to figure out what is going on while ghost wolves and thunder birds suddenly become a problem while the load bearing leaders (Ayato, Raiden and Kokomi) stay put to keep things together at the core. If 'THINGS' suddenly started happening Jean wouldn't leave Mondstadt to jump on mushrooms and complete challenges with the traveler, she'd put the second stringers on it (like Bennett and Razor.) Re-write all of those leaders as NPCs stapled to their responsibilities and unable to galivant and let expendable, flawed and failure capable losers take their place.

Writing this out I realize I have no sense of timescale regarding of the story. Are things rapidly approaching crescendo or is this a multi-year slow boil where the conflicts of the game build up under the surface? How serious is the 'Mouches 'build your own god' scheme compared to the toy making event?

This would be easier to ignore if I could play dress-up Mihoyo!

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 7, 2023

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Didn't rate/roast Paimon voted 1.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Wow. Had to complete, in whole or in part, 6 separate quests to do the last archon quest. That's a new record for me, and it is very, very annoying.

Anyway Wanderer is still very punchable and I don't know why I needed to go through his backstory again but oh well.

You are appreciating every iota of my anguish especially the parts about how little I care if you notice. Now shut up and check out my giant robot that belongs in a different game.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
The already dead post apocalypse robots are cooler because they don't wear out their welcome and I don't have to put up with their bullshit every week. :colbert:

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Are any of the star-glitter weapons good? I've started to buy constellations for the freebie characters even though I don't use most of them, should I be buying those weapons instead?

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I rolled for a gay wizard and by god I got a gay wizard, haters can gently caress off.

Also the notion that some sliver of the fan base is nervous about ladies liking a game is just adorable. I need to go through my steam library to make sure I'm not playing games for ladies lest I be spoken ill of in the tiktok comments.