Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The main city of Fontaine, the aquabus tracks, and the giant tower out of bounds on the east side of the map there are now visible from the Sumeru rainforest. Urban sprawl encroaches on natural vistas even in open world anime video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The bureaucracy questline is pretty funny. You spend three consecutive (in-game) days doing three consecutive quests where you leave the room you're in exactly once and do nothing but talk to people and deal with paperwork. The punchline is that each individual quest in this line is a separate Fontaine reputation quest, so you get 60% of an Archon Quest's worth of reputation for 15 minutes of watching a young bureaucrat descend into madness.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Someone tested it in multiplayer and Anemo Traveler's whirlwind does synergize with Hydro Traveler's water orb, so they can carry enemies along with the orb and get the hits in on them and it is sort of a combo...

...Except that's the C0 orb. At C2, it slows down and no longer keeps up with the tornado.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
In fairness it is inconsistent how enemy shields work and what things are most effective against them, as well as how immunities work and whether a permanent infusion does or does not make the enemy immune to the same damage type. The latter case is especially bad because there are cases like Andrius where he never infuses Anemo but is immune to it. I guess it's somewhat excusable with bosses because you can always just warp out.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
There are three easy spots for underwater Condessence Ore: Under the Elynas skull, and to the SE and NW of the central underwater warp spot south of the city. For aboveground ore, start marking the daily ore spots and about 8 or so places to check will come up, and there are a few more in the Elynas region that can be spotted from the mountaintop (and one directly below the mountaintop that doesn't appear to be a daily ore spawn spot, though getting near the ore there spawns two enemies). Both the Belleau Region daily spots are along the coastline. The daily spots are kind of bad compared to the underwater clusters, but it's something.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
They can always add new underwater powers, so that gives them the option for expansion. However, if they isolate those new powers to new underwater areas they will also open the prospect of degenerate backporting of new powers to old areas to do silly things, because as long as you teleport to an underwater waypoint while underwater, you don't lose your current power, meaning even if they put a new power in a new completely cordoned-off underwater spot, you could still smuggle it out.

I'd guess that's harmless though, because unless you have the "right" power for the task they designed, you're not really getting anything done, at least for puzzles.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Possibly if the bug started in the Chinese sphere then by the time we were made aware of it it'd already been reported and they were working on fixing it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Traveller posted:

The Fatui seem to be a huge organization where branches aren't really worried about the business of the others. Arlecchino's gang wants the Hydro gnosis but also to save Fontaine from drowning, which is not really relevant to the Mondstadt delegation holed up in the Goth hotel, or the Chasm strike force in Liyue.
The Chasm team is so out of the loop that the last time they heard anything, they were engaged in a joint anti-Abyss operation with the full support of Liyue's government and are deeply confused as to why the Traveler is mad at them for being in the place they were both ordered and allowed to go to.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Excelzior posted:

I demand a veritable cavalcade of hatgirls starting in 4.2, drat it.
Can't tell if that's a typo, but fortunately for you if not, every confirmed playable Fontaine female character so far has a hat. Navia? Hat. Clorinde? Hat? Charlotte? Hat. Furina? Oh yes, she's got a very silly hat. I would say Lynette doesn't but she in fact does, she just doesn't wear it much. I think Sigewinne or whoever has a nurse cap, that's technically also a hat. Assuming we see Furina/Navia/Clorinde in some rough order in the next 4-5 patches, and at least Charlotte as a 4* on one banner, that's as close to a veritable cavalcade as it gets. Hat lovers may rest easy.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
She was always on standard. The banner was an experiment in whether standard characters could have their own banners. The experiment clearly did not do so well, but the later "This character is brand new but will be going to standard after" experiments must have done better.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Meowywitch posted:

They can't gently caress up furina
They could gently caress her up in the opposite direction. Are you ready for Furina Impact?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

MoonCrab posted:

PSA theres some 4.2 leaks out that, how can I say this...

Some stuff, that should not normally have story leaks, does have story leaks this time?? Basically, I've been bullied :(
To elaborate on this: Do not even look at visual leaks for 4.2 if you are even remotely concerned about possible story spoilers. The beta preload must be out because all the UI graphics (splash screens, character art, namecards, boss pictures, etc.) are being leaked. They do spoil some things if you look at them closely.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You can poorly summarize just about any story and then translate that summary into a foreign language and it will sound like complete nonsense.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Something else worth noting is that leakers don't actually seem to understand both the plot and mechanics of the game. They frequently get math wrong, make claims about party roles that aren't borne out in actual gameplay (or at least in optimized gameplay), confuse aspects of boss fights with playable character kits (e.g. Childe, Raiden, Scaramouche) thinking those mechanics will carry over when they obviously wouldn't, and don't seem to have ever bothered to actually test anything because they want to be the first to break news on it (nevermind being able to meaningfully answer any follow-up questions).

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Apparently early theorycrafting is that Festering Desire might be better than Jade Cutter and Key on Furina, but that is subject to knowing how much energy she generates (but still, 70 cost Burst). Festering Desire also gives more Elemental Skill DMG than her personal weapon, without any conditions, and some crit. Her weapon is looking like a Yelan situation too where it's pretty nice but a lot of the time you might just run Favonius instead to keep Bursting on cooldown. She also seems like she might be the best baseline Fav Sword user anyway with innate Crit Rate, and her skill deals damage when deploying the turrets, so she might be able to pop out and crit with that and catch particles while Bursting or something.

Also rumors are her sword may be paired with Baizhu's weapon, so uh, consider your options before rolling.

SiKboy posted:

As someone who doesnt pay attention to actual announcements, let along spoilers, I just realised that I dont actually know; I've been assuming we get more explorable land mass this patch, right?
Don't forget more explorable water mass! :haw:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
We also don't know if her posse follows you around or is static, which could be kind of irritating with a 20s CD.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

MarquiseMindfang posted:

If this is true, that has a 30s duration, does it not...?
It has a 20s CD, so it's infinite duration.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

MoonCrab posted:

Mademoiselle Crabaletta :swoon:

But realtalk it's amazing how little we know about her considering how much of her kit we have. All I've got for now is that A) She's probably gonna be a good unit (stc) and B) I don't think she's beating the Fav Sword allegations :/
I don't think that's such a bad thing, but yeah. Her personal weapon seems to really require that you luck out on Energy Recharge substats or run an ER sands, as she needs to keep that Burst going so it can ramp up every cycle. Festering Desire gives her damage while also giving ER, and Fav takes advantage of her high natural Crit Rate to generate more team energy. She's Max HP scaling so none of this really hurts her in any meaningful sense. So... basically exactly the same considerations as Yelan (except FD is a compromise option if you have it between damage and ER).

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Was not expecting a reference to "The Circular Ruins" in Genshin loving Impact.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Because of the way Neuvillette's passive works, you don't actually give up a stack of it from running Zhongli because Hydro Crystallize counts. Or you could run Layla/Diona. They're all pretty viable options at C0 and he doesn't have to worry about interruption if he's shielded. Also Beidou exists for some setups.

C1 mostly seems like it's there to make running him with another Hydro (particularly Furina I'm guessing) not a loss of stack damage by letting you have more flexible team compositions. But his best teams right now don't really even need a second Hydro. The IR is just kind of gravy and I guess lets you run him in shield/IR-less teams.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Aren't Tighnari and Collei cops? I mean they're like park rangers or game wardens. Are park rangers cops?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Curious to see what buffs or nerfs, if any, Furina or her signature end up getting with the beta patch tomorrow. Doubt they'll make any major changes, but should be interesting if they shift any numbers. And very funny if they nerf her even a tiny bit, even if adjusting something up elsewhere; imagine the doomposting then.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

RareAcumen posted:

I'm surprised how entertaining I find Wriothesely. As boring an environment as the fortress is and I'm sure they'll keep him in there for it, I think I'll do his archon quest sooner rather than later when he's available honestly.

Guy's so wry- no pun intended- that I can't help but like him. He and Kaeya would get along great.
The most practical man in Fontaine. "Prophecy of an apocalyptic flood? I'll just build a boat then lmao how has nobody thought of this."

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Okay, this yseut "the cold hand" doesn't gently caress around
Interestingly, the torches around where she spawns will keep relighting during the fight, so you can potentially get off some Pyro Swirls without actually having a Pyro character in-party. And you might not want Bennett around since he self-applies Pyro and that can let her Melt you.

In general the Operatives are really neat enemies because they are chunky HP-wise and do enormous damage but are incredibly vulnerable to being immobilized and pulled. I'm sure it's a total coincidence that Venti is back in the patch that introduces them, but other things work like Kazuha, Jean CA launches, Overload, even basic attack strings can kinda juggle them once they're poise-broken. Just make drat sure they don't hit you.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Meiteron posted:

The key thing that took me awhile to understand is that each passage has two doors. The big arrow in the centre of the gear opens the door closest to the centre. The small arrows that can be picked up and moved open the door closest to the actual side room. Each of the four spots you can place a small arrow on the mechanism corresponds to a specific side room.

The two arrows need to be facing one another, and usually they never will from starting positions. Instead you need to pick up the small arrow entirely, let the big arrow move around a few steps until it's in the right spot, and then place the small arrow back so that they will rotate correctly. It's a huge pain, and I'm glad I only had to do this poo poo once.
The real key thing to know is that the arrows only have to be theoretically facing each other. What you can do is place one of the small gears in the direction of the door you want to open and the other one anywhere else, rotate the first small gear until it points toward the center, remove it, and then rotate the big arrow with the other gear (since it needs one to move) until it's pointing where the second small gear used to be.

I'm not sure if this is intentional -- there is an argument to be made that it is if you think about what the rotation is actually mechanically doing -- but it works for some reason. You don't even have to put the small gear back in place, though you can.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The thing that bugs me is that Childe has been a very important character the whole Fontaine arc but has no voiced lines whatsoever in 4.1 even though he appears several times and has a couple lines which are shown in text but not voiced for some reason. This apparently continues into 4.2 with him not having been determined to have any voiced lines there either. Like what, is Griffin Burns or Kimura Ryohei or whoever busy lately? Clorinde doesn't exactly talk much, but they still got her VAs in.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Traveller posted:

HSR has taken over for Genshin in my game time, a lot easier to keep up with the grind and BP and stuff, and the Trailblazer is just so good compared to the Traveler.
To be fair though I think this is kind of selective memory. Physical Trailblazer is extremely mediocre, it's Fire Trailblazer that's good because tanks are in short supply if you didn't luck into Gepard or pull for Fu Xuan and their specific shield generation method happens to play really well into the Preservation path in Simulated Universe, where they work great as a secondary tank, Fire breaker, and Path Resonance charger. Comparable viability to Dendro Traveler in having good niches and teams where they excel, especially if you're already running better options elsewhere.

If Dendro had been the second Traveler and we only had Anemo + Dendro right now, it would be a lot easier to say "The Traveler's pretty good! Anemo's kinda mediocre unless you're lacking a good unit to use VV, but Dendro's amazing!" We'll have to see if Trailblazer has as many viable specs when they're 5 Paths in. It is true that TB has way cooler weapons and flashier ults though.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
That area is a structure with some stuff above and below it on different levels and walls and such, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the orbs just spawned on top of the wall or under the floor or on the opposite side of the wall and ended up out of range.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Trying to imagine the laziest possible Furina team and I'm not sure if it's between all-Archons AFK Hyperbloom or just running Furina with Kokomi as the on-field DPS and tapping LMB and E/Q occasionally while watching something else on another screen.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Maxwell Adams posted:

I think my favorite team for him is EM Raiden/Nahida/Beidou. I already ran this team with on-field Kokomi driving hyperblooms, but Neuvillette can do that while dealing hilarious amounts of damage. This team works great against groups of enemies, but for single target fights, you probably want something with Fischl and Kazuha. I have trouble getting Kazuha to consistenty swirl hydro, though, and I probably need to wait for Sevvy to make a video about that exact subject.
Apparently the trick to reliable Hydro swirling off Neuvillette is to just have him toss out a normal attack in addition to his E/Q.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

sushibandit posted:

IIRC his "charged" elemental skill generates more energy than just tapping, but you only need to hold the control for a brief moment to count as "charged", not do the whole extended charge+animation. Higher base damage from the 5* sword may well be worthwhile over fav if you use that method, then again in the overworld it doesn't really matter so...
I think his tap E generates either 2 or 3 particles and charging it to stage 1 guarantees 3. But part of the point of the tap skill is how fast it comes out and then lets you switch off Bennett to funnel the particles, so I don't know that it's worthwhile to do that for particle consistency alone.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I would not trust the CR leak as far as one can throw it, the leaks on the Lantern Rite character have been swaying back and forth for months and they frankly all seem like guesswork. Even the most accurate pre-beta Furina leaks were sorta wrong -- her stacks supposedly scaled up in power at certain thresholds, which may have been part of an early design but did not show up at all by beta where they've always been a single value -- and leakers have had huge misses recently like "Wriothesley is Cryo Polearm and Standard" which nobody disputed with Cryo Catalyst until a week or two before the beta. They were guessing Chiori was a 4*, which may or may not still be true and, if not true, may or may not have been true at the time they "leaked" it (which could just have been them guessing); possibly, she was always meant to be a 5*, or possibly they decided to bump her up to one.

They also said things like "4.6 will be the last Fontaine patch" which appears to contradict the number of 5* characters they now have to get through, and nobody has been able to reliably peg Clorinde's actual release patch with anything even approaching reliability. If these "leakers" are correct about much of anything this far out it's just an accident.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Oh, I was wondering because I need to go find the "Millenial Pearl Seahorse" and I wasn't sure if this was a Sumeru/Inazuma-style "hope you like mashing through Paimon talking to key npcs for awhile to unlock key chunks of content" situation with uhhh Fontaine?
No, it's just right there on the map. You do have to swim through a little underground tunnel to the west of the boss icon to reach its cavern but nothing actually prevents you from getting there. It is all the way on the north end of Fontaine but it's not exactly difficult to cross Fontaine because it's not a land of infinite cliffs like Sumeru.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Stare-Out posted:

Ancient or not, not listing the ones you can pull up from the ground is just utterly bad.
I suspect that the way the search function works it just literally can't do that. The "trap" whopperflowers do not exist unless spawned by proximity or picking up the trigger item, and the search thing works by directing you to the location of the nearest registered "thing." Many, if not most, of the "things" are not registered, which is another problem, but the whopperflower thing is probably just a nasty side effect of that specific tricky spawn method. To make it work it'd have to instead direct you to the spawn triggers, and I assume they're not interested in doing that much work or they'd also update the lists of things to incorporate the addition of new ones.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Quick warning for anyone concerned for 4.2 spoilers: The preload is up, the in-game text has been datamined (for the AQ, WQs, and Furina's SQ), any "speculation" hereafter may end up just being actual spoilers. If you want to avoid that poo poo at all costs, do not go looking at anything until Tuesday.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Not having an actual numerical stack counter or icon for Fanfare is incredibly irritating. More irritating than the stuff it puts on the screen, actually, that poo poo's fine just let me have a buff icon with a number on it this isn't hard.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I noticed that sometimes Navia has the sunglasses on during her attack string and takes them off at the end.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Leraika posted:

geo the element of kicking your weapon at people
I legit wonder if it will be dash-cancelable and retain the kicked weapon hits like Zhongli.

Mailer posted:

I'm not sure why animations are a spoiler but Navia is very immersion-breaking. If sunglasses existed in this world there is no way Diluc would not be wearing them. At night.
His Vision is augmented.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
So... Mono Hydro is actually kind of a thing with Furina. Kokomi/Yelan/Kazuha/Furina. Drop Furina's pals and Burst, have Kazuha do his thing, set up the Yelan Burst and generate energy with her skill, then swap to Kokomi, Q, and spam. 3/4 of your party are built like freight trains and you have infinite healing, so you can just facetank everything (Kokomi can probably just run HP% goblet with Furina+Yelan buffs and get even swoler). Also probably scales in a very silly manner with Yelan C4, Furina C2, and Kazuha C6 (but what doesn't get better with a better Kazuha).

EDIT: Just 36 starred Abyss with it, it's a pretty smooth rotation and is incredibly forgiving. Just don't run it against anything Hydro immune.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 10, 2023

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I began to appreciate Furina more once I stopped trying to shove her into all my teams and set up one or two that she makes really good and then left the rest alone. Not trying to make her work with Neuvillette allowed me to 36 star this Abyss rotation (which I am usually far too lazy to do) because I could run a goofy-rear end Furina-fueled Mono Hydro team (that ONLY worked because of her) and save all my non-Hydro ringers like Fischl to use on Neuvillette's side.

Also running Furina with either Kokomi or Baizhu/Yaoyao is just really funny for overworld stuff, you can finish a fight banged up, swap Furina's pets out so they don't commit violence on an extinguished campire, and heal up pretty much instantly from the Singer and Jellyfish/radishes/whatever. Then swap Furina back and continue on.

I think people might also be underselling the value of Furina having an absurdly long-range heal for bosses with invincibility phases. Oh, I can't do any damage to you? Guess I'll just run around being healed anywhere in this arena while I wait to be able to damage you again, good luck killing me. Let me know when you're vulnerable again so I can tag in Mademoiselle Crabaletta off the top rope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Furina/Nahida/Raiden is basically the laziest Hyperbloom team (well, if you had C2 Baizhu it would probably be the actual laziest). But you still technically have to push buttons so it's not quite AFKing to victory.