Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
First draft of the new set and my rares are 3 x Urza Assembles The Titans, good show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I've been curious for a while, how does duplomancy combo with Jin Gitaxis?

It doesn't, copies aren't cast.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cheap pack in the shop

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Calibanibal posted:

haha oh g*d i conceded a free game then

i didnt even let it resolve i just read the text and quit as fast as i could

Compare with Deputy of Detention, which is a token killing machine

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

I built a Go-Shintai deck and probably 2/3 of my matchups are either mirrors or Jodah.

Haven't seen a single Go-Shintai when not playing it myself, and Jodah maybe a couple times.

I see a lot of Go-Shintai (sometimes 4-5 games in a row) playing Lagrella

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

So far I've cast Rakdos the showstopper against green decks twice, and twice it's killed my Gisa and nothing of theirs

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

precision posted:

yeah i'm like 99% sure it's bugged, which is lol

I cast it a third time and it killed the only thing of theirs I didn't want it to kill, returning a Craterhoof to the top of their deck and killing me

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It always amazes me how badly Wizards manages to gently caress up a simple message on the Mastery screen basically every time. In the past things like the wrong set have been named, the current one says the nonsense "Unspent orbs from this mastery will be lost when the next set's mastery is complete."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm sure it's been said before but this guy has the worst voice in existence

Like why does he talk like that.

He looks exactly like he sounds like (plus he does a lot of content that isn't for whales, which is nice)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

it felt winnable for like 20 minutes and then it was sunk cost

"What do I have to draw and what do they have to draw for me to win" is a good way of knowing when to scoop games vs control. Play to your outs, but if you've got none then

Corbeau posted:

I genuinely honest-to-god love control mirrors that go to decking. Some of the most fun I've had on Arena was playing Esper Doom against Bant Ramp back in the T3feri + Elspeth Conquers Death days.

Same, op

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I'm having a fun time with Bant Ramp in the event, except when I was on the draw facing a jund deck which dropped turn 3 new sheoldred. Fair dos to my 2nd opponent for scooping to turn 1 Esper Sentinel

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

kalel posted:

which you'll see very rarely, right? I mean how good were meld cards during soi/emn standard

Terrible but I once melded Graf Rats in a draft and it felt 10/10

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Horace Kinch posted:

Friendly thread reminder that the game is going to be a little crash-y today so maybe wait a little while for stuff to stabilize before drafting unless you really like writing emails to customer support.

Aka "free cards"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

7-1 with gruul aggro sealed (plus a Platinum Angel, which won a game on its own)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol wasted 20 minutes on this match durdling about and after maximum amount of my time wasted out comes the hullfucking horror

How were you planning to win even without the Hullbreaker? They're at 28 life AND have a much better board AND are playing a deck with better late game. You lost this a long time before the clock hit 20 minutes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I've been playing Azorius control with a similar build and your deck looks like it'll get eaten up basically all the time. Grindy value midrange doesn't have a good time against control, and you'd be surprised how little decking is actually a threat once the deck gets established (the only times I've decked playing it have been deliberately when I have no outs left and just do a Silver Scrutiny for (deck size + 1) to lose in style). Once they get board control, Teferi spirits means that life totals can change very quickly.

The deck usually runs lots of board wipes, so if there's a period where they're just kind of durdling around for a bit in the midgame it's usually because they're waiting for you to try to slam something dangerous (I assume that's what happened when your creatures vanished but the replay doesn't show it).

Try playing the deck a bit yourself - note that even if they didn't have a wipe in hand when you played the Seraph, they still had a good while to dig for an answer because they didn't have any life total pressure.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ariong posted:

Isn't that an above average performance?

Yes, it is

"Stop when you reach 3 losses" is actually quite a harsh criterion. The "average player" (ie one who wins exactly 50% of the time) will end up with a 0-3, 1-3 or 2-3 record as often as not. The mean number of wins is 2.87.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

3-3, the so-called "above-average"... my war chest has been completely annihilated this week, down to 5 drafts

It's not so-called, it is above average.

Remember that WOTC doesn't want you going infinite. You need 52% winrate to get >3 expected wins, but that's only a payout of 889 gems; it's 56% to get >1000 gems on average, and 68% to get >1500 gems on average. The very low payouts for 0-2 wins are likely chosen to make you feel frustrated about not getting to 3 wins and make you want to put money in.

The drafts may not be rigged, but the payouts are - don't beat yourself up about not hitting a target that's been deliberately and specifically designed to feel attainable while being out of reach for almost everyone.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tempest block I think, long after the Brothers War

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Have they broken the automatic Sheoldred upkeep stop again, I just lost because it skipped straight to my draw when I had multiple instant speed removal spells in hand

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

precision posted:

Like seriously, for real, how do these piles of nonsense always have it????

Mostly they don't and lose before you know they're a pile of nonsense

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It is a paper format, it just never took off - there's not a big audience for "casual format where you have to keep updating the deck with cards that have their prices overinflated due to being in Standard", it turns out

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

precision posted:

CovertGoBlue has done a video every day all month it seems

Aside from a short holiday a year ago, he's put out a video every day for several years at this point

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

There is some kind of free chat now, but nobody uses it.
A few pages ago a goon had an opponent who figured out how to use it.

That was the friends list

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

Which set in current standard is the best is an interesting question to be honest.

Probably a tie between BRO and DMU, because those two together make up the majority of the Soldiers archetype at the moment - most other notable decks use a range of cards from multiple sets throughout the rotation.

This isn't a standard like a few years ago where you could make an entire top tier competitive deck out of basically only cards from a single set (ELD).

Well, there was the cycling deck from Ikoria that was both a draft archetype and somehow a reliable way to get to mythic

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Least favourite? Brazen Borrower

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Just lost a close, fun game because I was manually tapping for mana and my Gate to Seatower - without asking for confirmation - assumed I was activating its once per game ability rather than tapping for blue

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

9-9 (50%), war chest is being completely obliterated

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

dead to poison fliers, 2-3 [11-12], 47.83%, absolutely gently caress this game

Let's say your chance of winning a given game is 53%, the win percentage from the previous set. The odds of you having 11 or fewer victories in 23 games is around 2/5. The way you react to very likely events is not healthy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I'm a big fan of JI but I don't think the art works for Norn

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Boxman posted:

Is Arena busted for anyone else? I can't open it on a Mac or a Windows machine - just get a black screen on launch - which feels weird. Status pages show nothing wrong, though.

EDIT: There are streamers playing, so the problem is probably on my end, somehow. Hm.

All of my games are currently just ending in a draw before they load in

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Urcher posted:

They cast with X=7, but do not get a token copy for some reason. I'm not sure if that's a bug or some corner case in the rules.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Urcher posted:

Thanks. I missed that somehow.

It's not an obvious interaction, I've seen people also get v confused when trying to copy creature lands.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

except it seems in this it's phyrexians coming out of every portal, everywhere, all at the same time.

MOM Elesh Norn revealed

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Arena is a digital card game which doubles down on all the lovely things about paper magic.

It absolutely does not, as the shittiest thing about paper magic is how expensive it is. It's impossible to F2P paper magic and very possible to F2P Arena.

imagine dungeons posted:

If you go for it, be prepared to only play against another shrine deck or a 5 color commander as that’s pretty much all I get when I play my shrine HBrawl deck.

I think there's just an absolute shitton of 5 colour commanders being queued up as I play against them all the drat time.

Lone Goat posted:

and Partner, and Partner with X, and Planeswalkers that can be your commander, and Background, and uhhhhhh The Grand Calcutron

You forgot Friends Forever

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Arena is only f2p if you don't count your time

I play arena for fun.

I play for free and can make just about any deck. I can jam 4 Sheoldreds for free, when in paper they'd cost me hundreds of pounds. This is not "doubling down" on the bad parts about paper magic.

Khanstant posted:

I'm not talking about EV or selling singles, that's not why owning cards is an advantage or why I want to have more cards to build decks to play with. And people keep ignoring that paper magic can be free to say arena is cheaper (and also that anonymous competitive digital online magic is fundamentally different than people Magic). They're both ludicrously expensive games

Free is not ludicrously expensive, you repeating it over and over does not make it true.

(And how is paper magic free? If you borrow someone else's cards?)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 22, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

I hope they never print a "Destroy all Planeswalkers" wipe.

Blood on the Snow!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

It usually ends the day before the next set releases, but it doesn't seem to say when that is in game any more.

It only tells you when the next release is "close by", usually a month or so

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fritzler posted:

In limited drew my only out to their Phyrexian Vindicator & Sheoldred.

They charge of the mites to kill my emperor after and I eventually lost to poison damage even though I had a 8/5 Mandible Justicar with Trample and Lifelink. This was at 6-2.

Don't underestimate the Emp's +1 here, getting rid of their Vindicator until their end step is probably the play here because it completely changes the balance of combat

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Simply Simon posted:

It's pretty cute (I played with it in the MWM precon deck) but a 3 mana 3/2 that makes a 1/1 is competing with so many other things in the 3-drop slot that are just a bit better...

3 mana 3/2 and a 1/1 that you can pay 1 mana to turn into a 4/1 trample

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Is standard especially unbalanced between the draw or play at the moment or is it only happening to me? Every deck I have - aggro, midrange, control - has a 60% play winrate and like a 25-35% draw winrate