Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Opened my first sealed pool and lol

Valiant Veteran
Golden Argosy
Karn's Sylex
Adarkar Wastes
Sulfurous Springs x2

All those lands are good for constructed at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Oof. Worth checking the rest of the pool though there's loads of good uncomons to build with.

I think it's a mess. Lots of x/black gold cards, and I just don't have any depth in black to support it - only 8 cards total. I have four (!!) rakdos duals, so the answer might be RW with black splash to get access to a couple of the uncommons. I'd love to share the pool, because i'm desperately curious how other people would build this, but 17 lands isn't picking up on it. I assume some sort of opening day glitchiness. I'm going to hold off playing this out, because I expect a pretty poor outcome if I don't get a second set of eyes here.

How many sources do you need to splash for a double color card again? Obviously running my extinguish the light would be great.

EDIT: Here we go. I threw UW and Mardu together. The Mardu deck feels too light on creatures. White seems to be a pretty obvious first color though, with a couple of the o-ring effects. It's possible I should be playing some of the white grizzly bears just to push my curve down. Feels like maybe that's a bit less important in sealed?

EDIT AGAIN: There's no way founding the Third Path is right, right? Probably a bear instead.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 1, 2022

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

went 5-3 with that ridiculous swathe of rares/mythics, turns out it's another bomb-heavy format where whoever draws their ridiculous bombs first wins. in this case, 2 soul of windgrace players and 1 ajani player

To be fair, sealed has a tendency toward being bombier, right? The fact that there seem to be synergies running around and sort of a lot of removal means maybe draft won't be quite as absurd.

Also, does anyone pay for Untapped premium? I'm thinking of getting constructed for BO3 data (which seems pretty self explanatory), and tacking on draft isn't much more expensive, but I'm unsure how good their AI drafter/deck builder is.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

so what emerging standard decks are people seeing/playing?

I'm still running mono-black control pile because I had 90% of it after playing the deck before rotation then opening 4 LotVs, but Fable seems to be everywhere.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I'm sure my draft has plenty to be savaged, but this could be a fun, smaller game. What's the P1P2? All of them have similar win rates according to Limited Grades.

I ended up with Tolarian Geyser, which, thinking about it, is probably wrong because UG isn't a great color pair and GB is far more solid. I ended up in GB, and the hard removal would have been nice. So it goes.

If it needed saying, P1P1 was rough. Rare was Phasing of Zhalfir, uncommons were that, coalition skyknight, and Baird, notable commons were Soultender, Bite Down, Impulse, and Phyrexian Rager (either of those last two might've been better picks, but I feel more comfortable in green, and think its just a more flexible color to start in. And I don't think they blow strength of the coalition out of the water).

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Anyone feel like looking at this draft? I posted about the first picks earlier, ended up at 5 wins (but I'm in shitter tier, so it doesn't mean too much).

https://www.17lands.com/draft/d4435a5471f543ba829d1378c0679e65

I feel like GB was open - starting with pick 8, I got a tear asunder, Soultender, Sojourner (which is sorta whatever in this deck), and then a Bonerattle wheeled. A Loamspeaker P3P5 certainly convinces me there was no one to my right in green, but the deck just didn't come together perfectly. A little clunky and slow. I thought 2x Miasma would carry me through the quicker games, and they did help, but it wasn't enough.

Play wise, I know i screwed up here and there. I get greedy with tricks a lot, and I just straight up did the math wrong resulting in a loss at one point.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 9, 2022

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Urborg Repocession is the best card for your deck and you kept passing it for stuff that doesn't matter

I needed to get into domain a bit, and having another large body to dig back up felt reasonably important. I don't think the picks are completely indefensible, although obviously I'm a worse player here.

wei posted:

There was discussion about this earlier but the first two picks I'd probably have gone Rager into Extinguish, but your picks are defensible.

P1P3 I'd take Bortuk here because it's a strong pull into the domain/graveyard deck, crazy that it wheeled.
P1P4 I like Necromass but usually try to get them later, or wait until I have Soultenders or War-Leech. I'd speculate on the dual here.
P1P5 Tribute > Interference
P1P7 Scatter > Prophecy
P1P10 Espionage > Sojourner

P2P5 I like the last pick a lot, with 3 self-mill creatures in the deck I'm very interested in Urborg Reposession over the dual. I know we need duals but at this point I'm leaning harder into the self-mill stuff than Domain.
P3P2 Mossbeard Ancient is so much stronger than Sojourner, with your self-mill and raise dead effects it's not difficult to play it a few times in one game.
P3P10 You have enough 3s, Magnigoth Sentry is a very good body in these decks.

I would have played Tatyova in the deck for sure, over the 2nd Miasma. +1 Island -1 Swamp gives a decent enough mana base for her and you usually want to play her turn 7 if you can help it anyway. I think Gaea's Might is just a little better than Strength of the Coalition here but less sure about that.

Thanks for this feedback!

P1P4, I didn't realize quite how slow Necromasses typically get picked up. A bit unlucky I didn't see another. And thanks for the more general advice on the other picks in this pass.

The pack 3 misses are especially egregious. I kept feeling like I wasn't stabilizing fast enough (or at all). Tatyova is a good include - I need to be more willing to splash. And I'd have to double check, but I think the sole difference in between the two decks i played with was swapping between Gaea's Might and the Strength of the Coalition.

I think the mistake that ties a lot of the mistakes together was hedging toward domain a bit too much. Some of this is probably a fairly specific leak (I had just come off of some success with domain over in Sealed), but more broadly, do you have any thoughts about balancing the need to hit domain with Bortuk (and to help out the other, admittedly less important domain cards) with cards for the main theme of the deck? This feels like it'll be a running theme of the format.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I've got enough WCs for an explorer deck. Something top tier? Spirits? Something dumb? Gates? Something else? What's fun in there?

Boxman fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 9, 2022

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

PolishPandaBear posted:

Sort of related...

I was building this for fun/lols as a Pioneer legal paper deck:
https://archidekt.com/decks/2819856#Jinnie%27s_Petting_Zoo

I have a rules question - what's the rule on how many times a replacement effect can...replace? I'm guessing Procession and Jinnie Fay doesn't create infinite hasty cats, but I could see an argument. Like, you make two goblins, choose to apply procession's replacement effect, make 4 goblins. Choose to apply Jinnie's replacement effect, make 4 cats. But because it's a different set of tokens being made, can Procession double the 4 cats?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Ariong posted:

EDIT: I suppose it would be more accurate to phrase it this way: the effects do not apply to the tokens themselves. The effects apply to the event that creates the tokens. The exact nature of the tokens which are ultimately created does not matter because once the tokens are created, the event is over.

Thanks!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Hammer Bro. posted:

I did but only because for some reason I thought it was one of the ones where you didn't get kicked out after so many losses so you'd eventually recoup your entry fee and could throw together whatever jank you wanted in a low-stakes, fun-time environment.

You probably thought this because that's how it was at least for SNC, which made for a great, fun way to buy cosmetics. Very sad to see them revert.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Anyone feel like taking a look at a sealed pool? I have a first run build. I feel like I'm getting a little precious with the Sol'Kanar plan, but I'm not sure what else to build around. I only have 12 creatures that can turn sideways, and I'm pretty sure that's not right.

https://sealeddeck.tech/5VSyoHyjNG

My mana base seems rough. I tried putting together WGu and WUg, but both just feel too creature light to be worth it. BW shows some promise based on card quality, but I'm not sure I have enough playables since my ability to splash out of those colors is limited to the mana rock and Thran Portal. And honestly I'm not sure what I would be splashing at that point. Tolarian terror and phyrexian espionage? Maybe Raff?

Boxman fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 27, 2022

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Quick Draft is MID and I'm tempted to enter it a bit because I have the least cards from that set out of the last year - all I remember from that format is UB zombies ride or die and GR being bad because werewolves were awful. What was white up to again?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

And another explorer anthology later this year, I believe.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I just cast Rakdos, Showstopper against that green deck when they had 5 creatures in play and none of them died. I moused over each of them in turn, then Rakdos to make sure I wasn't missing something. The opponent then threw up the new goblin rimshot emote. I got a good laugh out of that.

Anyway that's my fun friendly emote story.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Thranguy posted:

Was there a maskwood nexus in play? Several of the decks run one.

Yes, but on my side of the battlefield. I just hit the .50^5 chance, haha

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Anyone feel like taking a look at a sealed deck?

https://sealeddeck.tech/a4Tlssl1yg

Blue's the easiest color to eliminate. Black doesn't have enough bodies, I think. Green technically has them but it doesn't really fit to any sort of coherent theme. White has a nice rare in Siege Veteran and two copies of Prison Sentence but seems uninspiring past that. I tried pairing it with red for a low to the ground aggro deck, but I'm not sure I have enough going on there to pull it off.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

wei posted:

Your red is great, and it plays well with the G tricks or W. I went with W because your pool has a good density of early plays and Veteran. Round it off with 2 Desks and 4 decent removal spells, deck looks very good to me.

forgot the link https://sealeddeck.tech/y6YXfP0mBQ

Thanks for this! I'm glad my general instincts were correct that low to the ground boros was the way to go, but you made some corrections I wouldn't have spotted.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Bugsy posted:

Thanks wotc for the update that fixed the power consumption issues. It’s much better now.

This made me realize I haven't checked in a bit, and apparently with the BRO patch, the game runs natively on apple silicon. It's noticeably snappier, especially on start up.

EDIT: This also appears to have fixed a long standing bug where I could not launch it directly and always had to go through the Epic Store...which of course doesn't run natively.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 23, 2022

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah Jund feels incredibly far out in front of the field. 2 of the other 3 relying on important artifacts makes recurring Titans feel even stronger than usual. Which is really saying something.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 15, 2022

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I was looking at the decklists posted on the mothership and there's a Mechtitan deck, and obviously that's fun, but it seems...not great? It's a mostly colorless-but-Temur Worker deck that feels like it sorta steals wins with patchwork automaton/reinforced ronin and plays 2x Return to Nature and 2x Broken Wings for some reason.

So, if we want to make a Lets Do The Thing deck, what's the best shell for Mechtitan? Just first level brainstorming, I feel like the answer is 4x Mightstone/Weakstone + a couple mythic Urzas. The full worker package is a nice way to boost your artifact creature count, although the 5 mana one probably just isn't good enough. If we push the curve down there, Kayla's Reconstruction lets us dig for our Core, although maybe at this point I'm just getting too precious about it. Anyway, this is a first run at it.

quote:

4 Mechtitan Core (NEO) 249
2 Reckoner Bankbuster (NEO) 255
2 Urza, Lord Protector (BRO) 225
4 Scrapwork Mutt (BRO) 164
4 Patchwork Automaton (NEO) 254
4 Deserted Beach (MID) 260
4 Tower Worker (BRO) 255
4 The Mightstone and Weakstone (BRO) 238
4 Circuit Mender (NEO) 242
4 Borrowed Time (MID) 6
2 Tezzeret, Betrayer of Flesh (NEO) 84
5 Plains (NEO) 293
3 Island (NEO) 296
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
1 Otawara, Soaring City (NEO) 271
4 Adarkar Wastes (DMU) 243
4 Crystal Grotto (DMU) 246
4 Spara's Headquarters (SNC) 257

Obviously I don't think this can be, like...great, but I'd like to be able to do the thing with some amount of regularity.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I finally did it. I got called a "human being" by one opponent while fighting another opponent called "Ur Gay":

What do you even call this game mode? Two-Headed Bigot?

Requesting you make a submission to https://twitter.com/scrubquotesx

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

PSA, Numot just got there on his first try with this pile:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Problems that are nice to have - I see several good, synergistic decks here.

https://sealeddeck.tech/PtnDgaNyE0

Obviously very good rare luck, with Rotpriest, Bloated Contaminator and enough toxic support to pull me into green. Black has some solid cards but is otherwise too thin to consider. 2 Thrummingbirds and basically every other card that says "proliferate" give me an easy Simic infect deck. The rares and two duelists pull me into white, but I don't like losing my only reasonably priced removal spell in blue, and I'm a little thinner. I'd have to play a card or two that doesn't contribute to the plan.

The third answer is a RW artifact beatdown deck that also sorta builds itself. The siren's call of the alternate win condition pushes me away from that, but it looks like a solid deck.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 9, 2023

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Is Arena busted for anyone else? I can't open it on a Mac or a Windows machine - just get a black screen on launch - which feels weird. Status pages show nothing wrong, though.

EDIT: There are streamers playing, so the problem is probably on my end, somehow. Hm.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I think replacing the Swooping Lookouts with Angelic Overseers would be an upgrade. They actually attack for something, they cantrip, maybe you live the dream and have Giada in play.

EDIT: Also depending on how you feel like you're getting run over, planar disruption is better than mesmerizing dose. Shuts down planeswalkers and activated abilities, less color intensive, more mana efficient. You do lose the proliferate, but I think the pros outweigh the con.

If you're committed to spending wildcards, just going all in on making a WU angels deck is probably the best way forward, but that means removing the thrumming birds (which you might be attached to!) and spending 3x rares on Giada, which that probably isn't getting too much play outside of your for funsies deck. The underlying problem is that a lot of very good Angel support went away with Kaldheim.

Wedding Announcement is a standard all-star and could be reused if you change decks, but its on the hook for rotation this fall.

Seachrome Coast would be a great (if unsexy) craft. No matter what version of this deck you end up at, you want to be assertive, so your ETB tapped lands are probably an outsize problem. The Coast won't rotate for a while, and having a mana base in your collection is always nice.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 14, 2023

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I just played a game on esper legends against a UW control deck. They eiganjo'ed an attacker while I was holding a Skrelv up, and because it's early and I'm not entirely awake, I paid 2 life to give the attacker hexproof from white without realizing that would do approximately gently caress all.

Then a couple turns later they tried to Wandering Emperor -2 a different attacker. This time Skrelv worked, haha.

One good misplay deserves another.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Vorthos observations:

Calling it the conclusion of the battle is a little odd, since Phyrexia is definitely winning in a lot of this. There'll be more an an arc depicted in this set than usual. Which explains Aftermath, I guess.

I understand the marketing reasons for it, but it's pretty amusing that in this (very cool!) tour of the multiverse, where "the fate of all planes is at stake," we're only seeing places we've been before. Stick a new plane somewhere! They clearly don't mind teasing future lore.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 20, 2023

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Rap Game Goku posted:

That logo ... screams "Hey remember that scene in Avengers Endgame when everybody came out of the portals? That was cool right?"

I do not understand this. Are you talking about how they replaced a letter? Except they didn't replace a letter in the Avengers logo, it's just a stylized "A"

The MOM logo is weirdly bad though. Bright yellow block letters doesn't scream "multiversal threat" to me.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

The first 100%, no wildcard-saving replacement deck i made in Arena was mono-black with Blood on the Snow, Meathook, and Invoke Despair.

I will not shed a tear for Invoke when it goes away.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

It is absolutely buck wild to me that they use machine-reading to generate their card code instead of writing it themselves, but somehow unsurprising.

I think "every card hard coded" is how MTGO operated, and it was no less a cluster.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Dumb rules question, does casting a Botanical Brawler trigger an existing Botanical Brawler? On one hand it feels like they should, but I'm not sure if ~ entering with counters is the same as the counters getting "put on." Obviously I have to reach for the die to place the counters on it, but the card never actually exists on the battlefield without them, so...

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Oh agree, it's just hard to parse how much of the "get good" is sarcastic (probably most here) vs. serious (reddit, the rear end in a top hat no one likes at your local LGS). Hence the pet peeve.

Tried out the Metagame Challenge with Spirits. Won the first round pretty decisively, but got absolutely wrecked in the second game - playsets of counterspells but never drew em' either game :qq:. Really loved the deck that thrashed me though, Abzan Greasefang. Seems like a lot of fun to play.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pioneer-abzan-greasefang#paper

Was probably in a good position to beat it, Spellquellering the namesake card and pinging away at their life, but wasn't to be. Probably should have mulled til I had one in the second game.

I've been jamming Greasefang on and off for a bit, the deck is fun. Game against pretty much all of the field, a hilarious amount of resilience to hate and disruption, but you have to be ready for a maindeck Karn to occasionally blow you out. It's not too hard to deal with graveyard hate, but Karn makes life really obnoxious.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

The important question for MOM draft: are you first picking Omnath?

Anyone who opens any set's absurd 4-5 color bomb and doesn't pick it P1P1 is a coward and should uninstall. :colbert:

EDIT: I just now realized Omnath is a rare, so it's a little more defensible to pass it. But you have to do it the first time. That's the rule.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Jakosa posted:

To me, a lot of roping feels like disconnects. When people realize they've lost, they close the game. Or it might be a bug when you concede and the concede isn't properly sent to your opponent.

I refuse to think that so many people are so petty that they'll actually sit there and rope me to spite me. Because it happens A LOT.

One of the Lords of Limited guys confessed this recently - when games were going poorly on mobile, he'd sometimes just close the app, and it didn't occur to him until that day that that wasn't a concession, he was roping people.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

scytale posted:

So what is the deal with the multiverse legends cards and styles? It looks like all of the ones I got in my sealed pool come with the alt art for them (the showcase frame or whatever it's called), but I looked at one I didn't get and it has the option to buy it like any other style. Can I skip buying them by picking the card in draft?

They're not styles - Multiverse Legends is classified as a special set, which means the client tracks them as different cards. Happened a lot with Mystical Archive, IIRC.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I'm in the middle of a sealed run with a good go wide deck. I want to make sure I'm not forgetting sweepers - Sunfall, Invasion of Fiora, and Invasion of Karsus...am I missing anything? I got super paranoid in my last game and drew out the game a turn or two longer than it needed to go playing around the possibility of something.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

LIMITED LEVEL-UPS 4/22
(Alex is 70% after 10 drafts)

Just to echo someone else's comment, thanks for typing these up - I listen to the episode but I get a lot more out of reading than I do from listening.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I've drafted to middling results; I keep not getting much in the way of Big Cards. Nasty stuff like 3x Volcanic Spite is getting me some wins (pretty sure red was open that draft) but I feel like I'm playing from way behind whenever I load into a match and I'm not looking for something that warps the game around it. A big leak right now is that I feel listless when I'm not building around something like that, and in this format it can feel a bit demoralizing.

How are people coping with drafts like that? Is it just a matter of realizing the power will come and putting yourself in a position to take it when it does (in a recent draft, I ended up opening a Boon-Bringer Valkyrie in P3 that I was in no position to take), or trying to collapse into a deck that functions much better on the common/uncommon level? What decks are people having success with when they don't have big stuff to draw into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

A triumph - I was having a nice chill game of limited magic, nothing but commons and uncommons, we each had 4 creatures but I had a flyer, so I was chipping in. Then they go Invasion of Fiora, Marchesa, then a turn later Invasion of Karsus to do a one-sided sweep of my re-built board. Then - and i assume this is because i'm in shitter ranks, because I'm not sure this could possibly have been the right call - they use Marchesa's attack ability to blank my last incubator rather than flip Karsus. They drop Polukranos (4 rare/mythics in a row! Cool!), but I'm able to use the Wicked Slumber that's been in my hand all game to tap their blockers and clutch out the win.