Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

With boogeymen like Goldspan and Luminarch Aspirant going away, I am excited for standard.

The boogeymen are dead. Long live the boogeymen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe I will leave behind all that bad energy. New thread, new day

I enjoyed you enjoying historic brawl. Dumb, good fun :)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Mentat Radnor posted:

My go to dumb fun is historic brawl Gyruda. So entertaining to pull out Gyruda plus spark double or any of the other handful of copy/flicker stuff. Panopticon is hilarious.

My dumb fun is Kaalia, Zentith Seeker. Giada is the supposed angel commander but I love having access to black and red. My deck is an angel tribal deck, but in the top end I have a handful of dragons and one demon so I get the benefit of Kaalia's ETB and also have this flavor of "angels but with an angry and bad streak."

And there's some very interesting-looking angels in mardu colors coming out in DomU, so excited about some upgrades to the deck

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

40 lbs to freedom posted:

ty and cheers to munckin and posters itt like him who make helpful and efficient limited posts casue im not a 4 hour youtube/podcast kind of guy but also i dont want to totally toilet my draft tokens every release

not an emptyquote

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Really enjoying Shanna in historic brawl--it's what I always wanted a Chulane deck to be but better AND costs 2MV less

Getting one-two cards a turn off lifegain is nice, when you can swing drawing 4+ a turn while still holding mana up for interaction it just feels devastating

And I got my first-ever Aetherflux Reservoir win!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Has anyone played much with Thran Portal in standard? I'm curious to start brewing some aggro builds and a universal fast land definitely seems good but getting pinged every time you use it (worse than pain lands) and etb'ing tapped after turn 3 seems bad.

Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to duals in standard so I guess my question is "if a deck would need Thran Portals are they worth crafting up to 3 of them or is the deck not worth building"

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

CGB was very high on it during the streamer preview, but during actual set release he had echoed your points exactly

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

A good number of my opponents lost because they took too much damage from their Thran Portals. Trust them not.

Thanks! Glad I asked before crafting.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

There is literally no situation I would run a Thran Portal over a normal painland. Even if it's one of the 4 combos there's no painland for yet, if you're running aggro you certainly aren't running the sort of greedy 4c piles that would necessitate a Thran Portal, so just run a basic there.

Wasn't asking about either/or, asking about pain land + Thran Portal. I try to run 14 etb untapped lands for each color of one drops I want to consistently hit; with pain lands and portals I can do that but without Portals I can't when running less than 24 lands.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

so what emerging standard decks are people seeing/playing? Day9's Jund deck is both ridiculously fun and also ridiculously strong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Tqz0jVvI8&hd=1

Deck
3 Forest
2 Swamp
2 Cut Down
2 Mountain
2 Sulfurous Springs
2 Karplusan Forest
3 Liliana of the Veil
4 Infernal Grasp
3 Haunted Ridge
2 Sorin the Mirthless
3 Deathcap Glade
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker
4 Teachings of the Kirin
1 Boseiju, Who Endures
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance
3 Tenacious Underdog
4 Titan of Industry
4 Riveteers Overlook
4 Ziatora's Proving Ground
3 The Cruelty of Gix
4 Soul of Windgrace

Sideboard
2 Duress
1 The Meathook Massacre
2 Pilfer
2 Squee, Dubious Monarch
2 Cut Down
3 Graveyard Trespasser
1 The Meathook Massacre
2 Riveteers Charm

I'm sure it'll get tweaked and upgraded over time but it's a strong list right out the gate for the new standard.

This deck is very fun and cool and good

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Another 1-3.

I had been doing a decent job of breaking even but three sub-50%s in two days have quickly depleted my reserves, I guess I should pause

Whip out some historic brawl and have some fun. Some of the new commanders from DMU are spicy

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Boxman posted:

I've got enough WCs for an explorer deck. Something top tier? Spirits? Something dumb? Gates? Something else? What's fun in there?

RB/x piles are probably the “best” right now but the format is pretty wide open. Elvish mystics really elevated mono G if throwin’ down fatties on turn 2 is your thing. Spirits is strong and fun if making your opponent mad is your thing. Anything with CoCo is fun and CoCo can be used in a number of decks.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Kashuno posted:

idk who told me the competition in Bo3 is softer than Bo1 but you were very right and I have enjoyed my trophy drafts with decks that really don't deserve it.

I usually only do 1 or 2 premier drafts/set, and totally washed out of both I've done for DMU. I did a Bo3 cube when it was up recently, and it was a much, much better experience overall. Even though theoretically the reward structure for Bo1 is much less punishing than Bo3, I think I'll be sticking to Bo3 even for set drafts going forward just because getting to x-3 because you flooded out a couple games or didn't draw your bomb feels bad.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Urcher posted:

Edit 2: Decided to keep trying till I got Squee and Sheoldred, got them as my last 2 which took ages, but now I have a full set of styles I'll probably never use. Double Strike is powerful - doing combat damage twice adds poison counters twice. I didn't realise until it got used against me. Lizard Blades did a lot of heavy lifting in my last few wins.

Playing mono R or what? I'm a sucker for stained glass cosmetics but also don't want to spend 10,000 gold getting them all

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hooplah posted:

correction: spend at least 10k gold. you could spend up to 30k if you can't win 30 games in a row

The payouts include gold, right? Win enough and you recoup some of the cost, yeah?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Went 0-2 in my first sleeper agents event, but pulled Sheoldred. Very tempted to just stop right there.

Built Rakdos haste/menace with all the 1- and 2-mana removal spells from B and R. First game was close and punted the second game.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Horace Kinch posted:

a shameless discarding nightmare.

I have a historic brawl Angrath deck that centers on discard and it feels so good to be so evil

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

DMU has a bunch of great Brawl commanders, yeah, I've been playing brawl a lot more this set and constructed a lot less, whilst I wait for my next draft.

:same: I don’t know if it’s Magic or other poo poo in my life but this is the least interested in playing I’ve been since Guilds of Ravnica. There are some good commanders in DMU and I’m logging in enough to clear quests but when a game starts feeling like a job or chore it might be time to take a firmer break.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

MasterBuilder posted:

Historic seems like it lost its audience and hasn't found a new one yet. Purists moved to explorer, people that want to do broken things didn't like the change to the cards and new players aren't going to have the resources to make a deck of 75-95% rares or mythic rares.

If they un-nerfed cards that got the alchemy treatment (Luminarch Aspirant, DRC, etc.) I'd be more inclined to play Historic as the true high-power format on Arena. There's some cool poo poo in there (Esper Sentinel :swoon:) but it's weird to me that they put in "eternal" cards like ES but also include the toned-down cards of alchemy.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

kalel posted:

yeah unfortunately the explorer meta has aligned with pioneer's a lot faster than I hoped. I'm not sure what you could even ban from rakdos because it's just a pile of the best cards in those colors.

I don't know what pioneer's meta is like but wouldn't a better answer than banning cards be "hurry the gently caress up and give us the rest of pioneer" so there's more than two top-tier decks?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Ah, well, nevertheless

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Can someone explain to me like I'm a very dumb baby why Rest in Peace is not an acceptable answer to Greasefang? I haven't played explorer much in about a month or so but RIP seemed to work just fine in my angels deck against it

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Chamale posted:

Definitely good against Greasefang, but against any other deck you're down a card automatically.

After thirty minutes of playing Explorer, though, I am tempted to make a deck with 4 Scavenging Ooze and 4 Lion Sash just to crush that Greasefang jerk.

Oh, are most of the people complaining about Greasefang playing Bo1? I forget that's a thing, especially for explorer or historic.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I had been thinking Bo3, but then

Chamale posted:

Definitely good against Greasefang, but against any other deck you're down a card automatically.

Made me remember to specify whether I'm talking Bo1 or Bo3, since that comment only makes sense with the former

Eej posted:

The reason why Greasefang shifted to Abzan is for access to Witherbloom's Command, which can destroy Rest in Peace or any other GY hate card and Esika's Chariot which can apply pressure without interacting with the GY at all. Also Grisly Salvage too, I guess, but the ability to destroy Rest In Peace, Grafdigger's Cage, Unlicensed Hearse, Soul-Guide Lantern, Tormod's Crypt etc. is pretty key because it only costs 2 mana and you can often just combo out the turn you remove it.

Thank you for the thorough answer. And to everyone else for chiming in!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Rythe posted:

I have been playing Historic Selesnya life gain and it's extremely fun but I want to branch out to another deck so I don't get bored. Are there any good historic decks that focus on Collective Company? I love this card and never got to use it when it was standard legal so playing it in Historic is great.

Merfolk, humans, and angels are all tribes that play well with CoCo.

Gruul aggro plays it sometimes, lists vary more for that.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Unnerfing cards for historic is very good and I am excited to jam some historic humans tonight.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

It's like Thoughtseize except worse because you can still cast the card if you're willing to pay for it. Big fuckin whoop

For many? Most? Brawl decks the commander is a lynchpin card, unlike just whatever’s in your hand that’d get seized.

It’s definitely a feelbad card t1 on the draw

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

flatluigi posted:

sleepily went off in discord about autoincludes in hbrawl, mostly because i always tend to forget cards that i want to include until i notice they're not in my deck several games down the line of making a new brew. you know how many times i've had to look up what the actual name of heroic intervention is?

obviously autoinclude is a strong word, but i'm wondering if there's any cards you always tend to reach for when brewing hbrawl decks that i've left out and should probably keep in mind in the future?

Had a sleepless night 'cause of Covid and mulled over this post for a bit, I think you got almost all my auto-includes (Once Upon a Time, Bolt, Swords, Dark Ritual) but some of the others seemed a bit off as far as "auto-include" goes. UU for Counterspell can be tough if running 3+ colors, 1-off Mana Tithe out of 99 cards seems bad, all your other green cards seem too slow. For something like Rhythm of the Wild, I'd rather be running Cabaretti Revels 10 times out of 10. Azcanta seems too niche for auto-include.

For black I almost always run Thoughtseize and Inquisition. Inquisition can be an almost-dead card a lot of the time but at least getting to peek at their hand for B can be useful.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

god the domain deck is starting to run like rear end for me now, i know it's selection bias but it feels like i'm constantly getting 5 triome 2 pump spell hands or this

I have not played the domain deck so mea culpa but when I saw it yesterday it looked like it had a loooot of basics for a three-color deck.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

At this point you might as well just give everyone a participation trophy lmao

They do, at the end of each month. Gold and packs.

Also are you 70 years old or something

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

precision posted:

i'm trying to figure out an Esper Angels and Walkers deck, and i think that Stenn just doesn't matter. ramping for 1 on walkers doesn't seem to be making much difference, the deck slaps. maybe mana rock instead of Stenn??

2 x Hopeful Initiate
2 x Spell Pierce
3 x Cut Down
3 x Giada, Font of Hope
2 x Infernal Grasp
2 x Stenn, Paranoid Partisan
3 x Borrowed Time
4 x Inspiring Overseer
2 x Path of Peril
2 x Kaito Shizuki
2 x The Wandering Emperor
2 x Sorin the Mirthless
2 x Metropolis Angel
2 x Elspeth Resplendent
2 x Liesa, Forgotten Archangel
2 x Farewell

1 x Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire
4 x Plains
1 x Island
1 x Otawara, Soaring City
3 x Swamp
1 x Takenuma, Abandoned Mire
3 x Adarkar Wastes
1 x Deserted Beach
1 x Caves of Koilos
2 x Shattered Sanctum
4 x Shipwreck Marsh
1 x Raffine's Tower

the mana base is stupid expensive. i need more wildcards!

I think you should either go all-in on angels or all-in on 'walker midrange. As it is you're spread too thin on both. Too thin on angels, at least.

I haven't tried standard angles since rotation since Righteous Valkyrie was such a fuckin' house, I don't know if Giada + Liesa is enough to make that tribe worthwhile in standard.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Simone Poodoin posted:

Anyone else pretty much only playing against the Jodah deck in hbrawl? Have I been placed in the hell queue for some reason?

I built a Go-Shintai deck and probably 2/3 of my matchups are either mirrors or Jodah.

Haven't seen a single Go-Shintai when not playing it myself, and Jodah maybe a couple times.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

fridge corn posted:

I played against a player named MagaTrump or something and I was very annoyed when they beat me. They were using the elephant guy from STX as their av lol

That person sounds pretty cool tbh, wish I was smart enough to tilt people with my username and av

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Node posted:

I'm looking to expand my gameplay and I think Brawl or Historic Brawl could be fun. Can I burn some of my common and uncommon WCs and make a competent deck, or do I need to use a bunch of rares and mythic rares?

In addition to what's already been posted, there was a brief discussion a few pages back about "auto-includes" in Historic Brawl for certain colors. They're pretty much all rares or mythics, but (not to state the obvious) they'll go in pretty much nearly any HB deck you'd build:

White: Swords to Plowshares
Blue: Counterspell (UU cost can be steep for 3+ color decks)
Black: Dark Ritual
Red: Lightning Bolt
Green: Once Upon a Time

But to reiterate what's already been said, with HB being a 100 card singleton format, variance is very high and none of these will make or break a deck individually. They're just the cards that you'll almost always use when running those respective colors.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 27, 2022

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Wash Away is literally more important and also better in Historic Brawl than Counterspell

I'll politely disagree since one spell costs less most of the time, but yes that's a good one to go in pretty much any U deck. And it's only an uncommon to craft!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

palamedes posted:

How common is Curse of Silence in hbrawl? I feel like it's an auto-include for white in standard brawl.

I don't auto-include it in my W decks since it really only amounts to a speedbump. Basically if I really need filler for some reason (or I have some way to synergize with card draw or something), I'll play it, otherwise I leave it out.

It is a bit of a feelbad card and it can tilt players when played t1 on the play, so it has that going for it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve found Curse of Silence, Fragment Reality, and Patriar’s Scorn to be completely indispensable in H-Brawl, like as instantly auto-include worthy as Swords or Lightning Bolt. If you haven’t been playing with the Alchemy cards in your Brawl decks I understand, but if you just play maybe 3 games with Fragment Reality I think you’ll see that it’s absolutely T1 bonkers removal. Patriar’s Scorn, the one drop that deactivates commanders perpetually, has been equally insane, and probably the single best answer to poo poo like Golos or Niv Mizzet in the format. Turning their Golos into a completely useless 3/5 puts them in a really difficult position.

Curse of Silence might seem like a speed bump to some, but there are games against Nicol Bolas Grixis control shells where keeping them off Bolas for a turn or two is the difference between winning & losing.

I used to include Fragment Reality in all my white decks but I had a long run of Bullshit getting pulled out so I've cut them. 1 Mana instant speed exile is strong but gently caress that downside.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Want to give a shoutout to Arena user "manchild3264" playing Darigaaz, Shivan Champion with the Timmy sleeves and avatar. I love it when people know who they are and lean into it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Oh cool, cube for midweek Magic!

Need two cuts here, any suggestions?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

The golden packs are great. Substantially cheapens the economy for non-drafters.

I'll probably be able to crack 120 packs between the preorder bundle and gold, which if I'm understanding right will amount to 102 rares or mythics including the 5 golden packs I get from my preorder. drat.

Assuming the effect is retroactive for the preorder. Even if not, it'll still be 72 rares or mythics.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

obithrawn posted:

this is the first time I've been around and itching to play the day of set release so excited for my game to crash nonstop and for nothing to work at any point

FWIW, as some have alluded to, if/when your client fucks up and costs you a draft don't hesitate to contact customer support, they are famously generous with giving out gold or draft tokens for borked poo poo on release.