Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

OwlFancier posted:

I personally subscribe to the theory of Large Rishi, or Riishii as we in the fan community call him.

This is so stupid, I’ve literally never seen him wearing glasses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am watching for my local MP endorsing someone, because he is 100% a lickspittle, always votes with the party, never pins his colours to the mast unless he knows it’s already a sure thing, politically expedient coward.

If he comes out for one of the candidates, that’s as close to a lock as it gets.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mebh posted:

Does the thread agree? And what key topics would you pick?

I think Keir Starmer would probably stop short of the “grind up poor people to make pâté for the King” plan, which I suspect is the next step if the Tories win another general election

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Spangly A posted:

he read Atlas Shrugged to his wife when they were dating

What the actual gently caress? I thought the last few months had numbed me to the craziness of Tories, but this completely floored me. How could this possibly be a thing that happened?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

All Tories are complete pieces of poo poo, film at eleven

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

darkwasthenight posted:

I've had a go at a fox that was after my chickens, but I was only wearing my boxers and unlaced DMs so I feel it would have been a pretty fair fight (it ran away at the exact same moment I realised I'd gone after it empty-handed with no plan).

Woah, this is like that moment in Fight Club when you find out that the narrator was Tyler Durden all along.

I hope you are the uninhibited and free version of me, I’d hate to think that my boring life was someone else’s anarchist fantasy

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

This argument also completely relies on parents being reasonable custodians of their child’s welfare, which you’d have thought that a former lawyer and director of public prosecutions would know is not a given.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mourning Due posted:

With the blackouts, and energy fees: I find myself lately thinking about businesses, as well.

Obviously the human cost is most important, and I would rather all the businesses in the UK going bust over a single avoidable death.

But yeah, like...basically it will mean the entire economy shuts down for a week. For companies with employees all over the world, who rely on video calls and asynchronous working: what a global embarrassment, to have to say "all UK team members will be offline for a week, due to their spiteful and short sighted little country running out of power."

The Tories might allow homes to run out of power, because gently caress poor people, but they would never let businesses stop getting customers in. Consumption is the only thing we have left to turn the wheels of the economy.

Expect coffee shops to have fusion generators up and running within fifteen minutes, free wi-fi and electricity to run laptops as long as you pay £20 for a coffee every ten minutes. A nation buzzing with caffeine won’t need to sleep, productivity will triple!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Peter from Surrey has written in to the BBC news feed:

Get hosed Peter from Surrey

“Overcommitted to borrowing” because houses now cost nine times annual income, compared to four times when mortgage rates were 15%, compared to two to three times when you likely bought your house Peter from Surrey.

What a “gently caress you, got mine” twat

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think I need to stop checking this thread. I started looking into power banks, but then I stopped to ask myself what I would actually need to plug into one… And hit a blank.

If the power cuts last for a few hours, I have enough books and board games to stave off boredom, I can just about manage on cold foods, or cook something beforehand if there’s enough warning, I have candles and torches for light, and blankets and duvets for heat.

If the power cuts last for longer, I’ll be too busy fighting off the purge to care.

Edit: poo poo, forgot about my son’s chameleon. Might be worth getting something small for her so she doesn’t die.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 4, 2022

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

NotJustANumber99 posted:

And they actually are kind of right, if you care about poppies.

smuggling some other political message into your poppy is pretty disrespectful of the initial symbol.

Poppies haven’t been about remembering the horrors of war for decades now, they are themselves a political symbol.

That fucker on Twitter doesn’t care about dead people, he cares about glorifying the military industrial complex and promoting the idea that all British soldiers are heroes, erasing any nuance about the past in favour of jingoistic love for our brave boys.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

NotJustANumber99 posted:

musk has done more for soceity than you or anyone in this thread will ever do, including possibly save humanity.

Elon Musk has done absolutely gently caress all for the world except make it worse and aggrandise himself at the expense of others and the environment, if he flashed into non-existence tomorrow, the world would instantly become an objectively better place

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

kecske posted:

Has anyone ever been to Arran? My wife's uncle bought a house there and invited us to go and visit. From the pictures it looks bleak as hell and I can't decide if that's in a good or bad way.

The critical question that no-one has asked here is how well do you get on with your wife’s uncle? Because if you are staying in a house in Arran with him, depending on what the weather’s like, you may be spending a LOT of time with him, with not much to entertain you

We try to go to different islands quite regularly with my mother-in-law, and I get on with her very well, but when the weather is really bad and you’ve been stuck indoors for a couple of days with nothing to do, things can get a little fraught

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

KM Scorchio posted:

a six figure salary at 40

Is this like when Brexit and Trump didn’t cause racism, they just emboldened the racists who had previously been shamed into keeping their views silent? The Tories have gone full mask-off, gently caress the poor, gently caress anyone who isn’t already a millionaire, and now the people who earn six figures don’t feel the need to hide any more?

If I earned six figures, I’d be very happy that I was rich now, and I’d sure as gently caress keep it to myself and not complain about how hard it is.

I get that six figures isn’t wealthy but it still places your income above 96% of the UK population.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Rarity posted:

You can but you probably also shouldn't bemoan your lot to people who struggle to afford food

Edit: I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with you personally earning six-figures, I don’t know you, but it is incredibly tone deaf to Kramer into a thread to moan about how your relatively privileged position is really actually very hard indeed, and we’re all in the same boat. We’re not, some people are struggling to the point of having to make choices that no-one should be making in a civilised society.

Yes, be angry at the system and the people who are profiting from exploiting labour, but maybe think about how difficult your situation really is before complaining?

Double edit: like, you’re talking about mitigating tax impacts when some people are thinking about how to find somewhere warm to hang out because they can’t afford to heat their homes, read the loving room

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 19, 2022

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Tastes like… gammon.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

learnincurve posted:

it's ok to be middle class

It is a tory lie that middle class = tory, and it has always been this thread's field of rakes

Assuming we accept the existence of a middle class, I am about the most firmly middle class it’s possible to be without going to a Steiner school or holidaying in a kibbutz, and I can confirm that middle class != Tory.

Literally no-one in my family or extended family would ever consider voting Tory, and I know this because they are all extremely vocal about hating literally everything every Tory stands for, to the point of pontificating after a few drinks about compulsory euthanasia for anyone who ever even thought about voting Tory.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of employers will match your pension contributions up to a point which I think is part of the appeal, though yes you are betting on living long enough to see it.

Not quite, you’re also betting on a named beneficiary living long enough to enjoy it. When I die, my wife will get my pension.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

sassassin posted:

My pension will also go to this poster's wife.

Berth ell pension pot

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

forkboy84 posted:

They've got a huge majority, losing 8 MPs wouldn't matter in the short-term

It would probably be very damaging for Sunak’s credibility (what little he has, anyway) as leader

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

This is very much in keeping with the outrage at Just Stop Oil causing disruption. Protests should have no consequences for the protesters, and should have no impact on anyone else, and should effect no change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

forkboy84 posted:

I had a while after seeing them on an Old Grey Whistle Test repeat where I was obsessed with Dr Feelgood, and Wilco was such an amazing guitarist & stage presence. Strutting back and forth strumming his Tele violently & without a pick, holding it in a way that made it look more like an assault rifle.

This post made me listen to Roxette, nice work