Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

IDK if I can sum up what happens to you in your 30s and obviously it's not the same for everybody but one thing that's happened for me is that I've gone from hating folk music at the start of my 30s to thinking it loving slaps now in my late 30s.

Just listening to some Steeleye Span for the first time and it rules.
Here, Steeleye Span's best thing, and eternally relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDhK_glbVmI

I have complicated feeling about Steeleye Span. It seemed to be the only thing my dad liked back in the seventies, and I hated it with a passion, the harmonies put my teeth on edge. I appreciate it a bit more now, and I suppose I can, grudgingly, understand what he saw in it, but, eh, still not usually my cup of tea. But I can't argue with the message of songs like The Blackleg Miner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Eh, I dunno. Don't really see the issue with using a £30-£45 single malt in a cocktail if that takes your fancy. Like I can imagine the use of a Speyside or Highland malt in a cocktail. I just think Laphroaig in particular is very overpowering between the smoke and the iodiney seaweed.

Even then I'd assume a skilled mixologist could easily come up with something that works. Actually I'm quite intrigued by the idea and I'm not even a cocktail person (I find the idea of asking a bartender to make something with more than 2 ingredients deeply presumptuous and anxiety-inducing, which is stupid when it is part of their job)

I've seen cocktails that used actual smoke as a garnish, I think you could do something interesting with Islay malts and that. I think the best cocktails I've tasted use good liquor; sure, if it's just something that's overwhelmingly sweet it would be a waste to make it with top shelf stuff, but why drink that anyway?

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Robbie Coltrane has died.

Oh gently caress. The day just got a lot grimmer.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Not in Dundee! After last night Tesco & Asda have been convinced not to sell them in the city (it kicked off a bit last night)

I saw some footage of that. Nice to see the youth out having a bit of fun

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

Elon is so bad at running twitter it has to be on purpose.

He can't really be so dense as to think the blue tick existed just as a status symbol when he runs the company.

Everything I’ve seen in the last few years suggests that he’s as thick as the poo poo sitting on top of that pig’s balls. He’s just been absurdly lucky.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

kecske posted:

Has anyone ever been to Arran? My wife's uncle bought a house there and invited us to go and visit. From the pictures it looks bleak as hell and I can't decide if that's in a good or bad way.
You mean rugged, like much of Scotland. Of course you should go, it’s fantastic.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Very sad news indeed about twisto. Top poster, really was that guy in the pub who seemed to know absolutely everything. We'll miss him.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Dabir posted:

The fact that it's basically useless information is a positive, in terms of using it to get a conversation going. It's a no-stakes subject, if they don't want to answer you haven't lost out on anything meaningful, but at the same time it's a bit more personal than "so how about this rain, eh? wet innit" and gives people an opportunity - which they can turn down - to open up and talk about their favourite subject: themselves. (inb4 owlfancier says "mine isn't".) Much better than demanding their current place of residence, method of transport and political leanings like you're some sort of walking census.

It's boring as gently caress. I have a Scottish accent, but have lived in the US for close to 30 years. I have been putting up with that question or some variant of it for that long and my god I will think less of you if that's your initial conversational gambit. There is a universe of things that are grounded in the here and now or why it is you are in the same place at the same time and with a little bit of imagination you can talk about those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Oh, I don’t mind a bit of rain. Made the road a wee bit slippy on the way in, mind.