Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Sony is falling into the typical trap of screwing up in the generation that follows from a successful one. They did it between PS2 and PS3, recovered for PS4, and are doing the same old stupid poo poo again.

Right down to finicky hardware with platform-specific tech that most developers aren’t going to engage with.

Granted, the haptics and the enhanced audio they’re pressing are more friendly to devs than the cell processor probs was.

In light of that, and also in light of MS having a more robust platform—one they’ve invested in for a long rear end time at this point—it’s easy to look at Sony or Jim Ryan or whatever the gently caress and conflate those two things. Hell, they’re probably a little related.

But consolidation sucks poo poo for end users. So, it all comes out a wash in the end, no? Who really cares about a corporate slap fight? It’s not as if anyone’s actually going to do anything, other than buy the console that has the games they want to play.

Incidentally, this is why I don’t buy launch consoles. Better to see who ends up with the most robust library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

Yeah the problem isn't ammo, the problem is that by the time you have a gun, some ammo for it, a healing item, and an equipment item, you have fewer open inventory slots than you have puzzle pieces to keep track of. You find yourself leaving a key in place because you already have another key you haven't found a use for, or going back to the save room just so you can make room to pick up some ammo and then going back to the save room again to put it in the stash because you can't load it into your gun

I bought this, and I’m excited to play it, but I hate poo poo like this.

Resource scarcity and limited inventories are cool, because they force you to be mindful about what you’ll actually need when in a hostile environment.

But backtracking after you’ve covered an area multiple times, knowing exactly what you need but lacking the space to carry it, running past enemies better juked than fought, that is all kind of the opposite of scary.

I certainly won’t complain about it in this specific game. First I’ve not played it yet and second, the creators are doing a deliberate sendup of late 90s survival horror. But sendup or no, some trends in mechanics were abandoned for a reason.

If a harsh inventory limit like that actually succeeded at its goal, I’d be all for it. But it sounds like it ends up draining all the tension out of the experience if it gets that bad.

E: To propose an actual solution that keeps the spirit of the mechanic, I wish games would just make all puzzle components key items that have their own separate inventories, but keep the limited inventory, and offer a wide enemy variety plus bespoke equipment that might make some baddies easier while perhaps making others tougher to deal with. Then you get to keep the tension of having inefficient or even detrimental equipment in some situations, while never needing to play the shuffle game just for simple progression.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 29, 2022

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

The only way limited inventory has any real consequence is if it is truly limiting.

I'm talking about a choice of bringing extra ammo or a healing item because you can't carry both.

I don't disagree separating key item and inventory slots but the latter needs to be very limited or else you'll just have double the inventory.

Yeah, exactly. I’m imagining a scenario where you might have multiple weapons with varying ammo types. Maybe certain guns can’t be silenced and make noise, which could draw enemies. May be the flares that I’ve heard are in the game throw a lot of light, which would attract other enemies that are drawn to light stuff. I don’t know. Just spit balling. The point is, I feel like those choices should be interesting. Tactical ones, with no correct answer.

I suppose you could obviate some of this with an interesting map design, too.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
TLoU II suffers from being:

1. A triple A production with a profound insecurity about the fact that it is a game.

2. Existing as a vehicle for controversy.

3. Aiming far higher than its writing chops and saying nothing profound as a result.

Great game, good combat, a trailblazer in accessibility, extremely pointed attention to detail, good voice acting, and a load of fun to play moment to moment.

But hamstrung and failing, when all is said and done, to drive the medium forward in any meaningful way. That wouldn’t matter, except that ND clearly wanted it to be exemplary.

People bending themselves into knots to be validated about the value of TLoU II give me a real chuckle, because it’s little better than a grim splatfest straining to be profound with every ounce of its weight. That self-consciousness is evident in the statement, restatement, re-restatement of its themes, in the hilarious flailing attempts at profundity with NPCs and their dogs, with an “edgy” oh wait, “realistic” sex scene that didn’t need to be there, with a bait and switch that people love to argue about, but which, while cool, was only meant to pad playtime—successfully and enjoyably, mind—with the dumbest characters imaginable flinging themselves harder and harder at revenge long after we got the point, with a humiliatingly idiotic final act that pretends it’s not a murder playground when it most assuredly is, and with a “redemption” displayed in such gratuitous detail after the fact. Who honestly believes there’s anything of value in that finale? Pulling the rug out and leaving it open to interpretation, twice over I might add, serves only to allow ND to abdicate any narrative responsibility, in short, to have something definitive to say. It’s a lot of smoke and well-polished mirrors so we can all argue. Meanwhile, here comes the TV show. Lol.

And I still loved every second of it, fwiw.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

butt dickus posted:

hmm i bought tlou over 4 years ago maybe i should get around to playing it

It’s fun OP.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Arist posted:

Truly do not get complaining about the sex scene as some ridiculously indulgent thing. It cuts away in like two seconds.

It’s not bad that it exists. It’s bad because of the rest of the game around it. Feels like something tossed in just because it would draw controversy. Like, most of the game feels that way. The marketing for the game told us everything we needed to know about ND’s intent, and it was to get people worked up.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

the final act only exists because of two extremely contrived events tommy walking off a headshot wound across multiple state lines and Ellie pinpointing a two-man sailboat on the entire California coastline and that annoys me more than anything else about it given how seriously the game takes itself otherwise

Yeah this annoyed the poo poo out of me, but honest it’s been long enough since I played it that I forgot about him having to walk that off. I was more annoyed about the sudden shift in his character from rational to vengeful. They were like k guess we need some reason to push her back out there how do we contrive it?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

acksplode posted:

You're getting worked up over a sex scene all by yourself and for some reason projecting that onto Naughty Dog. Seek therapy

I mean I’m just sharing my thoughts. But okay bud.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

There are no good sex scenes in games, even the good games

:emptyquote:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

acksplode posted:

Your thoughts are that Naughty Dog put in a sex scene to deliberately make you freak out online. No, they just put in a sex scene, and then you chose to freak out online over it.
Your definition of freaking out is really weird dude. Picking one comparatively minor part of that post and fixating on it kinda makes you look weird. Everyone was talking about the series, I think it’s a good game with some bone-headed narrative positions, and you’re freaking out why exactly? Because I thought ND was courting controversy? Chill.

Or keep tilting, but it kinda proves my point about people’s weird insecurity about the supposed validity of their favored entertainment medium.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

mikeraskol posted:

It’s been a minute since I played through the game but remind me why this sex scene draws controversy?

It’s like the whole foundation of your post here and I remember it being pretty benign but I’m probably forgetting something.

I don’t particularly care that it’s in there. I just think it’s kinda telling what ND cared about, in terms of audience reaction. Truth told, the enduring dialogue about these games means they did something right. I just thought it was a little silly and pointless and transparently controversial. Kinda edgelord.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
NGL considering I had a lot of other complaints about TLoU’s narrative, and also acknowledged enjoying the game kinda makes the everyone focusing on the sex scene sorta weird. Lol.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

mikeraskol posted:

I am legitimately trying to understand here. How is a normal sex scene "transparently controversial" or "edgelord" or demonstrating what ND cared about in terms of audience reaction.

I'm just legitimately confused.

I could get calling it done to death or unnecessary or a standard trope. But nothing in this post is making sense to me at all. It's just a sex scene.

When a game features someone’s arms being broken by a hammer, and when that scene is featured in the pre-release marketing for a game, I think it’s pretty clear what ND intended. You don’t market something in a vacuum. Unnecessary is probably the best complaint. But I think it’s also kinda… what… reactionary? Like legit, I have no interest in that particular thing about TLoU II. I think what’s most interesting about TLoU II as a product is that it was trying something, and in my opinion, it failed while being hilariously transparent about how intense and profound it was. The sex scene is just a part of that funny little tapestry, imho.

Anyhoo, I know a bunch of people don’t share my opinion, so I’m gonna dip out. I thought there was an interesting conversation about the game itself and how it did or did not fail in here. Nope. Her her sex scene. Cool cool.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

JBP posted:

I don't think anyone is trying to argue with you that the game is profound. It's a good zombie tv show game. That's why people like it.

I didn’t think that anyone was trying to argue with me about that. I just think it’s an interesting failure.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

TLoU2 was profound and very effective for me. I still think about it all the time. Nothing’s hit me nearly as hard since. It’s a top tier work of art from an unbelievably talented team of people.

I would legitimately be interested in your perspective on that if you want to expand.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

Here’s a rambly post I made back in January after beating it. I think it expands on my reaction well enough.

Thanks. That’s a cool take.

And I think it’s as fair as any other.

My big complaints with the game have more to do with the fact that it doesn’t have anything interesting to say about revenge, which, hey, maybe I’m asking for things the game never claimed to deliver.

That, and the above stated contrivance of Tommy’s sudden heel turn because it didn’t make any sense. From his perspective losing an eye should have been the proof that he was right, not the justification to flipflop and I thought that shift was so narratively stupid that it killed every last bit of interested tension that I’d worked up over the course of the game.

Lastly, and this is down to personal preference, obv, I think TLoU II’s unwillingness to definitively end is narrative wishywashiness masquerading as profundity. Sure, not getting a bullet point ending might be realistic, but when that narrative ambiguity was handled so well in the first game, it just smells like sequel bait and argument fodder.

My other big complaint, which I also admit is pretty subjective, was the self-conscious graveness of the whole affair. Any humor feels segregated from the greater whole, parceled out in tidbits to say “See? It’s not all grim.”

Ditto the voicework, which is not to knock the actors. They did, I’m sure, as they were directed. But that brusk, whispery, sentence fragment way of speaking might offer gravitas in small doses, but when the whole game is acted that way, it grates.

And, I’ll just point back to the marketing, disingenuous posters aside who want to act like the marketing doesn’t matter, as an indicator of ND’s mission statement with the game. You can’t have it both ways. If you market it and then go mum after the fact with a “who me?” Shtick, you just look like a provocateur.

As a triple A studio, I think they’re afforded that ability, since it’s a millions-selling game, and some people are just gonna show up for the “aw poo poo” moments. So whatevs. Not my cup ‘o tea, but I think it’s a fair enough take. They want to sell units, and they marketed a very particular story in a very particular way, and I think it undermined the end result.

Arist posted:

On the other hand, what I like about TLOU as a franchise would not be things that make it "profound," because I don't think it honestly has that much to say intellectually. That's not a complaint, because I think what it's trying to do instead is create complex emotional reactions.
This is very well put. I am fine with the contract I sign any time I engage with a piece of art that says, “I’m here to be emotionally manipulated.”

But I thought TLoU II’s particular brand of emotional manipulation rang very hollow and felt transparently exploitative. It lacked nuance, is what I’m saying. And again, that’s def down to personal preference.

Escobarbarian posted:

BurningBeard, how did you feel about the late game reveal that Joel and Ellie were achingly close to reconciliation after years of being apart, meaning Ellie was not only mourning the friend she had once had, but the friend she was just about to get back? That one really got to me. And how about the museum flashback?

I, personally, thought of those reveals as pointless knife twisting. Placed elsewhere in the narrative, I think they’d have just as much impact without seeming comically cruel.e: The museum bit was a lot of fun though. Their chemistry was super dope, and trying on the helmets, all the incidental details, everything about that sequence showed how much love was put into the game, no matter what. So, as an isolated moment, I loved that part.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 1, 2022

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

acksplode posted:

The time they showed off the scene where Ellie kisses a girl? I think that was less trying to poke the hive, and more showing off a technically astounding cutscene that's early enough in the game to not spoil anything. I don't think there's a better possible candidate for a technical showpiece. And if people got mad that it featured a gay character, that's them choosing to be mad at a gay character. Trying to suggest ND is responsible for that reaction is projection.

You bringing this up is projection. Nobody has mentioned that. Representation is good. Like if you can’t engage in good faith, give it a rest. You’re just trying to get mad at poo poo.

Dewgy posted:

I mean I guess there was a bit of controversy over the initial reveal trailer being really gruesome, but idk if that really matches with what we’re talking about overall.

It’s this.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think they have some say relative to their standing. For example getting Ellie included on the original PS3 cover. The first real look at 2LOU def pissed some people off. I don't think Druckman is averse to poking the hive as it were

And this.

acksplode posted:

I would even say that Naughty Dog did not advertise or market the game, because they are the developers who made the game, not the marketing department at SIE that made the commercials. I don't even know what part of the game's marketing is objectionable, but trying to hang it around ND's neck is grasping at straws. Like the whole idea here is to strawman the game into something it never claimed to be and then knock that down. Reddit poo poo.

So the creator has no meaningful impact on the work? This is nonsense.

I don’t really know why you feel the need to poo poo on someone who didn’t like something, but it’s really pathetic, not to mention unnecessarily hostile.

I have a viewpoint. You don’t have to agree with it.

The fact that I think a game has flaws and am willing to say that does not imply anything about me other than I have an opinion about a piece of media. Take a page out of your own book and quit projecting weird poo poo on me because we see things differently.

e: I enjoyed the game and don’t think it’s perfect. I stated a viewpoint. This got kinda weird. I’m def done with this line of discussion because it’s going nowhere fast and games are good.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 2, 2022

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

The things that make it provacative to me are the masterful levels of tease ie dislocation of character and place, yeah prolly the level of violence because violence is itself provactative (maybe less so in the US), and the way the twitter account censored character names which subsequently generated intense levels of speculation. The line between controversy and provocation is kind of a fuzzy one I guess, but it felt new and crazy and foreboding which really worked for me, and ND are the masters of establishing pre-release atmosphere. But internet's gonna internet.
I think you’re spot on about that. As marketing it was great. But tied to a piece of media that ostensibly had something to say about the destructive impact of revenge and the endless cycle of violence, it’s pretty fuckin’ gauche. This is the point I was making earlier, perhaps poorly.

I think selling your game on its extreme gore, then turning around and trying to have it both ways and screaming that violence and revenge are bad at the top of your lungs is a bit silly, no?

That’s not an indictment of the whole thing, just a note on how it was produced, and what impact that production has on the work itself. Nothing in a vacuum etc. etc.

I think the poster above said it best when pointing out that the goals of the game don’t click with my personal aesthetic sense. It didn’t want to meditate on revenge. It wanted to give you whiplash and drag you by the head. I think I was hoping for something a little more meditative and a little less gut-first. I think the game sometimes couldn’t decide which of those things it wanted to be either, and those are the spots where my critique comes in.

It’s fuckin silly though, because at the end of the day it was a fun game with cool gameplay and amazing setpieces and excellent/visceral combat. Appreciated just on those merits, it’s a slam dunk.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

acksplode posted:

Worked for MGS, a game TLOU2 references pretty blatantly. "You enjoy all the killing, that's why." Hell yeah I do

Except MGS doesn’t portray violence in the same way. Also, forcing the player to observe every single NPC that they killed in a long slow, death march is a much more elegant statement of things via gameplay than anything. TLoU II did.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Dewgy posted:

It’s an effective bit of symbolism, sure, but it’s also an effective bit of symbolism in a game about the anime cold war and fighting a man who is bees through the power of throwing porno around. We’re kind of comparing apples to oranges here.

Though now that I think about it a combination clicker/bee hive would make for a real freaky enemy type :getin:

Lol agreed on all counts.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

y'all i just had a very busy week i feel like death. playing dying light 2 again and i gotta be honest i feel like zombie nightmode irl

How did that turn out? Thought the series melee emphasis looked cool but havent played them. Heard mixed things.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

It was rough at launch in numerous ways and I put it down when Elden Ring came out because I knew the long term dev support would clear poo poo up. It has a lot of rpg crafting/leveling/numbers mechanics for a parkour game, but once you get into the groove there are some cool times. Notably it's just very ambitious for what is essentially an indie game and it stumbles in places. But as the resident Mirror's Edge stan of this thread I'll take any fix I can get.

Dope. Sounds fuckin cool. Do the RPG mechanics let you flex and break it later? I love stuff like that.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Yeah, from what I can tell, but it's also a bit of a haul. What's the best way I can put it? Everything's just really granular. You know how people complained that Mirror's Edge Catalyst had a skill tree that took a few hours to unlock (you could have most essential skills by mission 5), well Dying Light 2 quadruples down on early game disempowerment, you are a lump of poo poo at the beginning who can barely climb a wall without getting winded, and they make you work for every inch of ability progression be it through fighting, running around, or infiltrating hazard zones at night. It's honestly a lot to take in, especially if you're mostly in it for the parkour. The later abilities look like Matrix move level poo poo lol.

There's inventory management, territory unlocks, influence peddling, sidequesting for xp, different classes of gear, multiple types of stat trees, crafting, etc, etc and it all gets dealt out piecemeal in a way that opens up new territory rather gradually. I played for 20 hours (mix of sidequesting and story) before the game opened up fully and by the time it did I still only had rather basic parkour skills unlocked (wallrun and slide came at the 18 hour mark!)

The parkour is detailed but somewhat floaty, not nearly as well realized or precise as the Mirror's Edge titles, but there's a real sense of chaos and experimentation to the traversal that can go from rooftop to street level while the day/night cycle is constantly changing up what routes are safe or not. It doesn't always work smoothly but when it does the game generates a frantic, scrappy feeling all its own. The story is mostly clown poo poo, there to justify the ridiculous future-past concept city they've built to play around in, with cardboard cutout npcs that betray you left and right or just act like idiot shitheels, but the atmosphere and music and level design are top notch. Really a weird game, you can see all the layers of its development over the years, where it expanded in scope and what it was unable to cut away. Overall it's a cool game that struggles to find focus but is full of little moments of innovation and fancy.

This is really loving cool to hear.

I like the ascent from tissue paper to titanium that RPG mechanics can lend to a game, and I like that you can feel a difference. Much more visceral than doing five points more of damage.

I’d heard they wanted to touch up the writing for the sequel. Too bad that didn’t seem to pan out but eh whatever it’s not like most folks are playing it for the writing anyway.

Will probably grab it when it’s on sale. Thanks for the writeup.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

This will only last until they find the diminished puddle in one area and it'll drop 60 points

You kid, but this is why I don’t buy games on release. Attitudes always cool over time and create a much clearer picture of the game. It does sound like they improved enemy variety though. That’s a pretty good selling point on its own even if the game is more of the same.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Ragnarok’s accessibility features have been revealed and they’re pretty drat comprehensive.

I managed GoW2018 without any additional options but it’s nice to know they exist in the new game.

I’m really not one for the AAA space these days, but since that’s where all the cool accessibility innovations are happening, I think I’m going to pick this game up.

Few specific things that I think are novel/cool/low bar features that other developers should adopt:

High contrast highlighting, with customizable colors for specific entities. You can have your loot be blue, your enemies be red, Atreus be purple, whatever. Any color mapped to any entity.

Boss fight checkpointing. I personally wouldn’t use it, but it’s an easy get for most games, I think.

Scalable UI. There’s literaly no excuse to not include this barring very small teams working under tight constraints. When even sighted people are bitching about microfont regularly, you know there’s a problem.

Holds vs taps, easy get, no downside. Don’t care personally other than being lazy sometimes.

Navigation assist is definitely useful for me, and I think it’s cool for everyone, because if you want to insure you’re putting off the story direction, you can.

Love that there are options specific to puzzles. Throwing the axe on tight timings with no aim help in the first one was pretty tough for me.

Equipment optimization and selection, filtering and equipping on a per stat basis. I think most people will like this because the RPG mechanics bloat in ‘18 was pretty ugh.

Ability to resize/remove altogether combat indicators.

My only reservation right now is the screen reading functionality. They mention that it is limited to specific menus. Hoping that doesn’t remove access to parts of the game for me.

TLoU II’s screen reading was amazingly comprehensive. All the notes, all the incidental signage the player could examine, every menu, every interface change, ammo count, crafting prereqs, including what you’re missing, you name it, the TTS would and could report it. I wish I could have sped it up, or modified its verbosity, but eh, for a first comprehensive screen reader in a game, whatever.

I’m glad to see the industry moving the right direction with this stuff.

E: Oh, and all of these aren’t pure binaries either. Instead of on/off, they’ve got multiple states you can pick from. Off is always there, obviously. But it’s really neat that they thought of all this.

E2: They used consultants with a range of disabilities to determine the scope of the options. I hope those folks got paid enough for their expertise.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 6, 2022

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

imhotep posted:

this is weird to me, because in horizon, without the auto loot thing turned on you have to stop moving to actually loot, or you do a little animation and it slows you down at least, but in elden ring to loot things you just mash triangle and you hoover it up without slowing down.

I propose a return to the golden days of frictionless item collection.

I’m half kidding. But sometimes I think higher budget poo poo actually set back some elements of design. We wouldn’t be having a conversation like this if fidelity didn’t necessitate—supposedly anyhow—animations for every incidental action.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

I've had Stray installed for a while but I'm kinda dreading playing it because my dog loving loves watching animals on TV and stuff and I know he'll get Real Excited and make it a pain

Even the dog in Spy x Family and the Nintendogs run at GDQ and animal-themed v*ubers make him shove his face as close to the TV or monitor as he can

Don’t deprive that good boy.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Sekiro and Elden Ring our apples and oranges. No point in a direct comparison.

I think of them as the two polar opposite ends of From’s design ethos.

If you want the combat framework they often use to be polished up to a mirror sheen,play Sekiro.

If you’re into a flexible toybox that doesn’t care whether you break it or not, but gives you those tools all the same,Elden Ring is what you want.

Regardless of what you prefer, i think they are both games that accomplish what they set out to do perfectly. I think it’s just down to personal taste.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

JBP posted:

Elden Ring is worth playing for the adventure of it. The world is well crafted with magnificent organic reveals and a strong sense of exploration.

Don't go in expecting a vibrant world or whatever. It will feel dead and it's meant to. You need to fill the world with colour by reading about enemies and stuff through item descriptions. You get a little exposition from characters but nobody is going to provide you with loads of info. Think of yourself as part arpg clothes hanger and part detective.

Or do what I do and kill everything mindlessly.

The best thing about Elden Ring is that it’s Souls combat with more toys than you’ll ever need or be able to use on a single playthrough. Brilliant of them to stop pretending to balance and just give players shitloads of cool stuff for whatever build.

And considering how it sold, I’m really excited what they do next, after the Armored Core thing, anyhow.

Though I have never played an Armored Core, and since I love From, maybe I should check it out? What’s a good place to start with that series? And is there anything out for PS4? Or would I be going further back to check out the series?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Elden Ring is the best because I refuse to devour it. When you play it like that, spread way out over a lot of time, most of the flaws aren’t really all that apparent.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Demos do seem to be making a comeback over the last year or two but they’re still pretty rare

Developers should be legally obligated to make demos.

Square’s still killing it in this regard. Octopath 2 demo just dropped last week. Though, honestly, the demo does very little to encourage me that the game is noticeably improved over the first. The biggest thing is the addition of day/night path actions which I think could be pretty cool and would probably allow for greater flexibility in who you choose to drag along with you.

Still pre ordered like a moron because of how narrowly the first game missed the mark.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
FWIW Blizzard has been quite explicit about cosmetics and premium currency—blech—to unlock those cosmetics being the only things tied to dough.

Buyer beware obviously cause you can’t trust a corporation, but as it stands there’s really no evidence that the game will be exploitative in the ways people have come to expect.

I do think it can’t decide whether it wants to be a slower more deliberate game or another retread of gotta go fast and nuke the screen like every ARpg ever. I’d prefer they lean into the former since that’s actually kinda novel.

But speculating about the future aside, it looks good, feels good, sounds good, and though I have some quibbles with some core design ideas, I think it’s going to be an excellent game to burn through the campaign once a year with, and if they actually manage to create a good endgame—bullish on that but hopeful—then this could have some real legs.

e: Tying poo poo to always online is garbage though and unless they can make the MMO stuff actually cool, which I see potential for, then I’d have preferred the option to go offline at my leisure.

As of now it’s pretty unobtrusive and seamless as long as you don’t get hit with a lag spike, which, well, beta.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 25, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

It's always very amusing to me when people are like "I am watching someone else play this game and I am bored." Yes, watching someone else play a video game is always boring. That's why Randy Stein was a lovely controller hog back in middle school and why watching streamers play a video game instead of doing it yourself will always be unsatisfying!

Having detailed opinions on something you haven't physically played is kinda silly but I've personally watched someone play through a game when the developers decided not to include accessibility options. It's a sub par experience but this isn't as simple as you're making it out to be either.

But for real, gently caress Randy though. My girlfriend has an older brother who's a Randy and because of that she never got interested in games until we started dating. Randies ruin lives people.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 31, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Yeah, I often get like that, too, especially when I've bought too many games at once and they're all sitting there on the drive yelling at me in unison. It's kind of been like that for a month now. Usually what it means is that I need to read a book or do some writing or clean the domicile or whatev, like when I just feel drained from staying up too late or the lack of light in early spring.

So yeah, last week I finished a book and did spring cleaning, finished taxes, grabbed a reasonable small pile of movies from the collection that I'd not gotten to and resolved to watch 1 per week. I downloaded The Surge and played for about 30 mins, seems deece! I pulled Stranger of Paradise off the shelf and slapped priority back on finishing that. Afterwards I think I'll spend a few days with Ghostwire when the free patch drops. I also started a new character in Elden Ring, beat Margit, and popped up to Raya Lucaria (think I'll save the rest for later when DLC drops).

I might try to re-pot my plants before Burning Shores comes out in 12 days, and between all this and work...it's all I can do! May/June will prolly be used for Live A Live, Tactics Ogre, or Resi 4 if my friend finishes up with it soon, and maybe the new Amnesia game. When the end of June rolls around I am going to lose track of reality with FF16 and any game caught in its wake that isn't named Armored Core VI or Factions II will be utterly annihilated.

Thank you for reading my liveblog. :blastu:

Unironically love this post. Especially timely cause I keep buying poo poo then not playing it. SF6, Diablo IV, The Last Spell, both of the Vaporum games (shoutout to the very few grid dungeon crawlers we got these days btw), upcoming Front Mission 3 remaster whenever the hell that is, like man we are so spoiled for choice and I gotta admit it’s kind of a mixed blessing.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hey one good thing about Kickstarter poo poo, it’s never worth keeping track of and a pleasant surprise when things like this happen. I’m so happy this is coming out. Suikoden II was mindblowing for young me. Those sprites man. Jesus.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Legit hope Meet Your Maker takes off because the premise alone is goddamn brilliant. Is there even anything else out there that smartly incentivizes people to get creative and add to the game with rewards? I feel like every time something like this comes out there’s a select few diehards that get waaaaay into it—Dreams anyone—but never enough people to sustain interest long-term.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

I miss having beneath the mask play on my menu all the time. I had to use my ps4 while the 5 was getting fixed and it was a bittersweet experience

Wait what the gently caress themes add music? It's me, the boring default guy that always picks the first preset when making a character.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Trying to decide what song my PS4 will hum to itself as it enters it's twilight years and dies.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Omfg that car is perfect holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
AI will destroy the middle management sector and that sucks in the short term but could theoretically be good in the long term. That would assume that human beings devise a meaningful way to determine what we do with all these people that's beneficial to both them and society at large, but humans are unlikely to solve that problem so it will probably suck rear end lol

I cite for reference the gutting of the manufacturing sector over the last quarter century as a plausible template.

Been playing the PS port of The Last Spell, a roguelike tactical rpg plus tower defense thing that is incredibly cool but I am so sick and tired of pc ports with bad controls and microscopic Illegible fonts.