Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

After a lifetime of Android phones, I'm picking up my first iPhone this weekend with a 14 Pro Max.

How are those official iPhone leather cases?

A good rule of thumb for apple products is 1) never buy the first version of any new product and 2) if there's any problems people will complain about them relentlessly so if you haven't heard anything negative about a product it is functional and good. no one talks about the leather cases that much because they are functional and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rolo posted:

My 13 pro is getting hot under regular indoor use since I upgraded to iOS 16. Anyone else have that happen? I’ve reset the thing and typing this out on the Awful app I can feel my phone getting hotter.

I know it ain’t my postin’

Give it a couple days. It’s probably rebuilding search indexes or something in the background.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rolo posted:

You know what I think the same thing happened last time. You saying that sounds super familiar.

No worries, it's easy to forget about between big updates and stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

I wish YouTube music would stop recommending the Tragically Hip.

What a poo poo band.

The war of 2022 begins now

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The phone thinks you need to meet hot singles in your area.

I already have the covid vaccine though?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

I played with the live activities thing last night using a sports app that supports it. It's pretty cool.

Typically for sports apps you'll get a new notification whenever something happens depending on your settings for that app and sports. That creates tons of notifications. With the live activity, it's one persistent thing that constantly refreshes based on however they make the app. I used it with a hockey game and it was constantly updating with every shot on goal, block, hit, everything. Really cool stuff.

if i received a notification for literally every event in a hockey game i would shoot my own phone

give me like the big ones, goals and major penalties (double minors? 5 on 3s?) and someone getting carted off to the dressing room. i'm not micah you can tell me the corsi later.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Jokes on you , I don’t get many notifications from my team (because the Flyers are really bad).

"gritty jiggle"
"gritty eats a hot dog"
"gritty murders a fascist"

micah should do plots of how cool gritty is

WE MAY WIN BUT I MAY DIE OF GRITTY

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

You're right but that's the cool thing about the live activity. It doesn't blow up your phone. It's just a tile sitting there refreshing. It's probably even better with the iPhone 14 since you don't even have to wake up the phone if you have the AOD turned on.

yeah but then the important stuff gets rolled over by "energy line made an SOG" one second after the big goal

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ll give an alternate opinion in that I actually vastly prefer using SA via the iOS/iPad app over the website and I actually even use the app on my Mac.

have you told the developers they forgot to lock it down from being improperly used on macos

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there a way to lock the lock screen buttons? I’m currently snowboarding and have the phone in a front pouch, and the camera and flashlight get regularly triggered for some reason. Would be nice if it didn’t.

Try looking in Accessibility.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ArcticZombie posted:

I recently added my partner’s work phone number to her contact information, after not having it saved at all, and Messages has merged the threads together. Her work phone is an Android and the text box is now labelled text message, which I’m assuming will mean that it will go to her work phone.

How the gently caress do I choose which number I want my message to go to?

try changing her personal phone to specifically the iphone entry.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inner Light posted:

Well the ultimate blame can still be on Apple but who knows what “sorry” equipment they are using up north to forecast weather. US companies are 100% dependent on NOAA equipment and if the federal government stopped funding NOAA a lot of the weather app companies would fold.

The annual budget for NOAA is ~$7 billion so you can see how government funding and equipment really benefits small guys using their data.

Canada has its own federal weather station network. I think apps like Apple’s show more data than our federal website does (from federal systems still, like Apple gets weather data from a station on a school nearby but if I go to weather.gc.ca they don’t have a page for that station easily visible) but we’re not years behind you in meteorology or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Don’t be ablest

Siri play Scatman John

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

American McGay posted:

What limitation does an iPhone 13 have compared to an iPhone 14?

No dynamic Island, children point and laugh at you for being an uncool poor, you can no longer enter Micronesia

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

The new satellite feature is super cool IMO but it's clearly a first gen beta implementation, I assume once us idiots that bought a 14/14pro provide enough data for Apple to start cramming more features in it's gonna get a lot better.

"hello it's 911 calling your phone alerted us to a traumatic physical event"

"yeah i fell off the couch and ruined my avocado toast"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Look guys, my wife just wants something nice and thick and I can’t give it to her.

this has to have been intentional

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Supposedly their cameras are good ? But that said, they made this thing:

https://www.verizon.com/tablets/razer-edge-5g/

I have no idea if it’s any good or not (doubt it) but I can assure you that no one is buying it. They made a phone similar to this like 5 years ago, and it also did not sell at all.

Yeah I have one of their webcams and it’s fine. Mind you my problem with razer poo poo has generally been the longevity and I’ve had this for less than a year.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

As far as I can tell Apple doesn't give a crap about hardware that is more than 2 years old.

My seven year old iPhone SE received an iOS update last week.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nwin posted:

Thanks…my bad luck definitely makes me worry!

In the event a glitch continues to happen…can I take it to a Verizon store or will they just send me to an Apple Store after 30 days have passed? I don’t have insurance or AppleCare. Asking because the Apple Store is an hour away.

If you look at the store locator on Apple’s website there might be a licensed service provider closer than that Apple Store

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

I never bothered to learn how to change the color and feel like I’m not missing anything.

long press on one of them

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i am tired of fuckin lightning cables burning themselves out due to little bits of dust getting stuck in the socket and crossing the pins. this connector is hella lovely and it needs to die so i can just have a goddamn usb-c plug that works on my phone.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

~Coxy posted:

If there's 3 actively exploited security flaws then why wouldn't they be fixed in the Rapid Response Update as opposed to something that normies may or may not install months later?

Two of them were.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

Friend accidentally got windshield wiper fluid on my phone screen and watch. Just a few drops.

..So how hosed am I? I'm thinking about making an appointment to the Apple Store on Monday since they both have Apple Care on them.

idk maybe if like the scratch-resistant coating goes away in the next week book an appointment then

but it's highly unlikely anything actually happened to damage your phone

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Quackles posted:

I do remember someone once tried to clean my MacBook Pro's screen.

With Windex.

It stripped off the glossy coating, but only in parts.

This is why I suggested keeping an eye on the screen coating, it was the only thing I could think of that might actually be damaged.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hatty posted:

I bought a dumb UV box for my phone at the start of the pandemic, I wonder if it actually worked

no

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Tortie? More like upside-tortie.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

I want a super basic grippy soft touch silicone case for my iPhone 13 with decent drop protection like air pockets/bumpers + screen lip + camera lip. Any suggestions?

keep it in a grippy psych ward sock.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mechanical Fiend posted:

It’s so you can hear what it would sound like if you could say tongue twisters perfectly

How much wood would Tim Cook chuck if Tim Cook could chuck wood

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Corb3t posted:

It’s worth noting 30 states are currently exploring rolling out digital IDs.

Georgia just rolled out digital ID with NFC via Apple Watch.

kinda shocked there isn't more shrieking about it being the mark of the beast and that kind of poo poo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

If you want shrieking, wait til the MAGA crowd finds out that contacts has a field for pronouns in iOS 17.

That one is just gonna be rolled over into Apple being a Silicon Valley woke company already. :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

I bought the laptop lockbox from Tuffy, and wound a 3/8 inch steel cable through some holes in the chassis of my car to lock it in. Toss my ipad and random small electronics in there when on long road trips because I tend to leave the car at trailheads all day and I usually don't have a hotel to put stuff in. I got no illusions it's perfectly secure but it'll probably stop a smash and grab (unless they brought a giant pair of cutters I guess).

It's a little peace of mind at least.

so how many times have you had your entire car stolen instead

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Animal posted:

Yeah its fully activation locked. All you can do is start it, choose a language, and be told that its locked.

Take it to an Apple Store and explain that it’s yours. If they can’t/won’t unlock it, then tell them to recycle it. Not anything else you can do.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Weedle posted:

the galaxy z flip does look very nice, especially the two-tone ones with the black rails. i wouldn't buy one but if someone gave one to me i'd use it until it broke

That’s a goddamn Star Trek communicator.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

See, having friends and family is your first mistake right here.

what about friends and family cellphone plans

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

~Coxy posted:

What's the chance of getting a USB-C EarPods announced tomorrow.

0. They'd announce them today not a day after the press event. :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is 12 radiation issue

I have iPhone 12 Pro

:ohdear:

france is arguing that the iphone 12 needs to be recalled because it sheds too much radiation when held at arm's length, a test which they admit is also completely unrelated to anything real people do AND that Apple passed the testing requirement for in years past including on the iphone 12. it's basically the "5g causes brain cancer" equivalent of "THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA SAYS THAT CHOCOLATE MAY CONTAIN CARCINOGENS."

ignore it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

If there’s too much radiation at arms length then that means there’s deffo too much when it’s in my pockets/next to my face?

I dunno I kinda trust regulatory agencies more than Tim Apple here

go ahead and read for yourself: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-66795168
e: second link with more details https://www.reuters.com/technology/apple-disputes-french-findings-says-iphone-12-complies-with-radiation-standards-2023-09-13/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

This says the opposite of what you posted:

So the radiation levels are too high in the most commonly used position/distance from the body and meets standards when it’s further away. That’s not what you said.

fine. i misremembered from the first time i read it. not my fault the french have a hosed up name for a "limb" test.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

That’s fine that you misremembered. Thanks for providing the links.

But like surely you know the word “dismember” and know that it means to cut someone’s limbs off right

gently caress off, not interested in having someone try and count coup on me right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Do you want like a MagSafe hand mixer or something?

KitchenAid Data Grinder attachment, thank you very much.