Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I’ve tried just redoing my preorder between attempts to load my saved preorder and the trade in service is down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Oh yay it started working at the same time for my wife and I so maybe they ironed the bugs out.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Same. Used safari on my laptop finally.

Natural Titanium 256 ordered!

edit: looks like it went to trading in my iphone 11 Pro at apple. I'll be able to change that to AT&T right?

They seem to have integrated the trade in workflow on their store: “we’ll give you this much cash or providers will give you up to $1000 in bill credits,” such that I guess the same service is handling for everyone?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You can install it now by turning on beta, installing it and turning beta off again. I went on and did it figuring there’d be a bigger rush tomorrow.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I’m getting a leather case from Nomad- I have a titanium watch band from them that I really like and I figured maybe they make a good leather case too?

The silicone cases kinda get loose over time, or they did when I tried them a while back

Dogen
May 5, 2002

buglord posted:

So if it’s already installed on my two iOS devices, I can opt out of the program and be back on the same path with everyone else?

Yes, until 17.1 comes out, so if you rolled back right now you’d be on 17 standard or whatever with everyone

Dogen
May 5, 2002

wooger posted:

I just got an Andar leather case in green for my 14 pro. Seems decent so far. https://www.andar.com/collections/the-cases/products/the-aspen

I think moving away from leather is a terrible move, TPU cases are disgusting to touch. Canvas would be a decent alternative maybe.

Micarta phone case you say

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The most magical time of the year: people posting their tracking in the iPhone thread

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah there are like no widgets that use it right now, from what I’ve seen? It’s just kind of a feature preview almost.

Aphrodite posted:

Apple would eliminate their bloodlines if anyone at ups let one out early.

I’m sure apple’s lawyers have the phrase “corruption of blood” in those contracts.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 19, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Same, but my favorite was probably the 3GS because I’m a monster

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Turmoil posted:

I am curious about two mystery UPS packages that are making their way from China and are already in Louisville, KY.
The UPS tracking says estimated delivery is Friday, but the Apple site doesn't say anything shipped yet.

It would be nice if my phone and watch showed up early.

They won’t, we already talked about this.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

mawarannahr posted:

Is it just me or are shortcuts a tiny bit faster?

I feel like everything feels a touch snappier. I’m not sure if it’s optimization or just a change in animation but it’s nice.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

My wife lost her iPhone on the Indiana Jones ride in Disneyland in June and we got it back in like 2 hours

Find my let me know it had moved to the lost and found before lost and found called us

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

Apparently sideways Face ID came in with iPhone 12.

I have a 12 pro and it does not do that

My older iPad Pro does though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I know someone who was returning TVs and Dysons every year for new ones basically, which is why they stopped having such a generous policy with TVs at least….

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Who cares this much about phones being so drat thin anyway

Dogen
May 5, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

lmao I had forgotten about that

I hadn’t cuz someone saying DA FROOT STAND earlier reminded me

Dogen
May 5, 2002

American McGay posted:

Good lord you people need to be locked up.

Look, I go out to meet my mailman all the time so he doesn’t have to walk up my steep rear end stairs if he has a package, ok

We talk about cats

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Strong Sauce posted:

update: UPS guy delivered called my speaker and i picked up and said "okay i'll be right down" and then when i got down there he said, "you gotta tell me if you're home or not" which i assumed was implied when i said, "ill be right down".. but i guess not?

i got it now though

My ups guy said that too. He also commented on the lightness of my other delivery: a box of furnace filters.

What are some good things I could do with the dynamic island that aren’t Uber related

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Zero One posted:

You can follow some (but not all) live sports in the Apple TV app and the live score will appear in the island. MLB works. Not certain which others.

Oh that’s cool actually, although if I have to follow every game instead of having it auto show the score for whatever team I’d not bother that’s too much hassle

Dogen
May 5, 2002

bolind posted:

How do I move AirTags from old iPhone to new iPhone?

They move with your Apple ID, nothing needs done

Dogen
May 5, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

oh man now I'm having flashbacks in the late 90s of one of the more popular cell phone carrier had a walkie-talkie mode. The mode had a particular chirp that I would hear constantly.

The watch has a walkie mode that’s like this which was hilarious when it came out and now we never use it anymore

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah I got the silicone as a temp case and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t weirdly tacky as it has been previously

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ooh I like the little dynamic island animation for Face ID Apple Pay

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Hell yeah. Other people have to be on iOS 17 though.

Now my wife can track down our old man cat too

Dogen
May 5, 2002

There seems to be a bug where basically all my iTunes-synced music is being duplicated in storage, or at least I assume that’s what’s going on.

I normally have like 80 gig free on this phone but now over 65 gig has appeared that didn’t used to be there under a new category of “synced content”, as well as the usual 67 gig of music.

Anyone else having this issue and knows a way around it?

I messed with this on my phone and did some googling and it appears that someone hosed up the bar graph and synced content just needs to be its own separate thing off to the side. It contains pieces of music and videos and so on but does not actually represent more space used. In my case I added everything up and I was like, oh that’s way more than the storage capacity of my phone so this is clearly a display bug or a poorly thought out “feature”.

Anyway it is some dumb part of iOS 17

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I think it affects more than just the graph. The phone said I didn’t have enough storage to apply the new iOS update until I deleted a few things off it to get it going.

Looked into it myself and apparently this has been a problem since some of the developer betas last month.

On my new phone synced content and music alone add up to 200gb but my actual used total of storage is only 160gb

I think the ios17 upgrade has some space taking residue because it didn’t want to let me upgrade to 17.0.1 until I restarted and resynced my phone (not sure which helped) and just doing that freed up some space.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

1Blocker is very good my biggest hassle with it is sometimes in app tracking blocking fucks up very poorly coded fast food ordering apps but they just made a widget so it’s even easier to toggle.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Got my dark brown nomad leather case

It’s ok I am not a fan of the hard plastic/rubber band but the leather looks and smells nice

Looking forward to my Bullstrap showing up in a bit, it doesn’t have a bottom lip right? That’s like my ideal case.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Maybe get some newer AirPods or pro?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah it was that way when I traded in my X as well

Dogen
May 5, 2002

During this 100 degree heatwave my phone got noticeably hot just being used outside normally

E: man I just popped the phone onto a MagSafe charger for the first time since getting this nomad leather case and the magnet is almost comically strong. Also I have noticed the scalloped sides as being nice on the fingers when holding the phone in landscape. Still not super impressed with the leather, which is kinda sad.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 26, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

My weather complication for temp has been not working since yesterday (blank) and I have unpaired and repaired the watch and done a bunch of other fuckery and I guess now I’m just gonna give up.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I wear glasses and setup faceid with them and it was not an issue. It hasn’t been that I recall back to the X

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It locks down the phone and displays a message. You can make it make a sound. It’s easy to turn off once found.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I (and I’ve seen other folks) got support to at least acknowledge the storage thing as a problem. I’m glad I went up a storage size on this phone or it would be more of an issue for me. And yeah I assume it’s gonna be a low priority fix for us old timers using our own music that we started ripping in the 90s.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Also I mean if it’s really getting too hot you get that “sorry can’t use phone it’s too hot” screen right?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Soul Glo posted:

I don’t understand the knock against Finewoven cases scratching because the leather cases also scratched.

I feel like the difference leather is self healing or wears small damage well it remains to be seen whether these cases will live up to those capabilities but I’m also not jumping out the gate making GBS threads on them

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Inner Light posted:

In case the previous posts didn’t make clear, yes it’s overblown. Guessing the temp achieved during charging is not nearly enough for the temp nag screen unless you are charging in direct sunlight.

I mean I was just saying I think we all know what an overheating iPhone actually looks like such that this all seemed like a bunch of hooey (which at least everyone in the thread seems to know).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

FlapYoJacks posted:

If it was up to me my parents would get a poppers funeral. gently caress em.

What, uhhh…. What’s a poppers funeral

Like everyone’s doing amyl nitrate?