Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I just had a forced upgrade from an xs max to a 14 pro due to the old phone’s screen dying.

I wanted to go with a smaller phone, that aspect and the screen and camera are great.

Moving away from a phone with Force Touch feels like a massive step backwards though, can’t quite believe they abandoned that tech for budget reasons. Certainly far more use that the dynamic island ever will be, used it every day since the 6S+.

Text selection and editing in general is way worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Duckman2008 posted:

I somewhat agree with this, but Force Touch was flawed from the start. Good idea ? Yes. Intuitive ? Absolutely not. Most regular people never knew it was there or knew how it worked. Especially the two different forces of clicks.

I don’t care about other people who don’t know how to use their phone, just my own utility.

It was clearly stripped out for cost. On the most expensive & profitable phone on the market.

It’s akin to ‘M ost people can’t touch type, let’s reduce key rollover to 2. ‘

The Lord Bude posted:

FYI, you can still move the cursor around a text field like you could by force touching the keyboard - you initiate it by long pressing the spacebar and then it works as before.

It doesn’t work the same, you can’t force press on words, or drag across paragraphs once activated to mass select text. Which I used constantly.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Without much ado posted:

1. Pushing and holding on the space bar, and when the text selection cursor become active
2. ‘Hold’ the shift key and start dragging to enable text selection

If you’re thinking of something different, or already know about this and don’t like it, feel free to ignore.

This does work, thanks, much better than dragging the little markers that’s for sure.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Corb3t posted:

I haven't plugged a cable into my iPhone in over a year at this point. MagSafe for life.

MagSafe is technically USB C, too.

Do my non-apple work laptop, personal laptop, bike lights, GPS, power pack, massage gun & headphones all charge through MagSafe too?

No they do not.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Inner Light posted:

AC+, $0 fee. No AC+, replace the battery literally a day after you get a new one, they don’t care, $79 fee.

More details here: https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair

I’m no expert on battery pricing or computer toucher labor cost but it seems at a $79 price point, it’s being subsidized or is a bit of a loss leader to keep folks in the ecosystem. Not much to profit off of at that price point it seems.

$79 to replace a maybe $10 battery, are you kidding? The labour involved is arduous, but that’s due to their own bad design decisions and they should not be allowed to punish consumers who need batteries.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Inner Light posted:

Lol. Very goony response. I guess we’ll agree to disagree. Apple is good at what they do. They make decisions that the largest possible amount of people are happy with and profit pretty healthily because of their skill in doing so, I don’t think you’re their target demo

But I have had iPhones since 2009 though so?

They’ve changed their designs with the 14 specifically to make it less of a ball ache to change batteries, effectively admitting that they were wrong.

Apple broke 2 of my phones doing a battery swap over the years and had to give me a new one.

The Grumbles posted:

I mean I also remember the early phones where you could slide open the back and easily remove batteries, but it's one of those things where you just gotta accept that that the smartphone industry has pivoted into making fancier/luxury devices (like the luxury watch market), which means higher service costs (you shouldn't disassemble a rolex yourself), and there are upsides to that (it'll be waterproof and have fewer points of weakness/wear).

Yeah it’s famously not possible to change the batteries in a watch right?

Other manufacturers have more serviceable phones with the same or better waterproof rating, it’s unrelated, but a different design challenge.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Duckman2008 posted:

Either way, they aren’t going back to it being easily swappable , so the answer is deal with it.

They literally just redesigned the 14 to make it easier to swap batteries - screws instead of glue. Things are changing for the better slowly. Eventually they’ll get the idea of standardised modular batteries that you can purchase via reputable stores.

Making things out of hot glue is not a high-end manufacturing method.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Duckman2008 posted:

Having used both:

Tile is not good enough because not enough people use a tile where it’ll ping it if you lose it. So it really only works if you lose whatever it is in your house or car.

AirTags are TOO good , which is great in that you’re likely to find your stuff, but not great in that it apparently is a really good tool for stalking people.

I’m not saying don’t use AirTags, I use them myself. I’ll be the first to admit that when they came out and there were concerns on tracking I was like “eh, other devices like tile have been internet and there haven’t been issues,” but yeah I think the reports show that it def is something that is unfortunately abused. And I legit don’t have an answer on fixing it tbh.

I don’t understand how AirTags work for stalking with the privacy controls in place. I’ve been on a single bike ride with someone who had one on their bike, and my iPhone showed a message saying the tag was following me and did I want to disable it?

Does that not work? I’m sure non iPhonenisers won’t see that, but there are a lot of us.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

American McGay posted:

Constant complaints? I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone complain that an iPhone was too heavy.

I have heard it, and have thought it too.

The pro / highest end models with steel frames and more camera glass simply are heavy. Xs max was ridiculous compared to other phones at the time.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bagmonkey posted:

Battery life on my 14 Pro has been excellent honestly. I had a Google Pixel 5 previously and the 14 Pro feels like it has twice the battery that the Pixel 5 did, ESPECIALLY when I'm using apps like TikTok and games and such. They will put a small dent in your battery but still give me more than enough to last a full 24 hour day without a charge

It was a bit ropey the first few weeks, maybe bad os, maybe indexing running on a totally fresh phone. Fine now.

I was previously a max person (xs max), have big hands, but the new max phones are clownish imo, and the “small” ones have grown to be just wide enough to fit my thumbs on the keyboard.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
The colours for the iPhone 14 are weak pastel poo poo. Considering that for 90% of buyers they’ll be covered by a case, maybe at least go for something bold and worth bothering with.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

American McGay posted:

If you update your old iPhone and it runs slower then there was a problem somewhere.

It’s been the case with every iPhone and iOS upgrade for a decade. Some more dramatic than others.

Maybe some of it is down to search indexing in the background or something following an update, but it’s very noticeable after an upgrade when the app switcher starts lagging.

Clear that they don’t do user acceptance testing on older supported devices, or else they don’t care about degraded performance.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The Grumbles posted:

There’ll definitely be a compatibility cutoff with their new VR headsets, and it wouldn’t be surprise me if you at least need a 14 pro or a 15 to run them. Which I guess is fine because it’s the VR headset and if you buy it you don’t care about yourself or your finances.

Lol if you don’t think it’ll be 15 pro only.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SlowBloke posted:

I know it's basic knowledge, but I wanted to remind that turning off 5G is a real battery save option. On my new 14 it's a 30% battery charge saving per day. If you don't need upload/download on the move (say you are in a wifi covered area), you will save a decent amount of charge.

Gross phone janitor bullshit.

If I wanted to fiddle and worry about battery life and check settings I’d have an android phone. Low power mode should be enough.

On the same note, I also refuse to consider any data plan that’s not unlimited - I don’t want to ever think about it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
The secret with iPhones is that it’s actually the “indexing” happening in the background for the first 3 days after setup making your battery life dogshit, and anything you change may seem to be an improvement once that finishes.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

~Coxy posted:

I have one sister/BIL who use Androids and my little brother has de-Facebooked (I don't blame him) so my family has literally nothing in common.

Pretty much no one uses sms or iMessage in the UK in 10+ years, WhatsApp has 100% market share, it’s basically required to take part in local sports or community groups, school parent groups and even a workplace emergency preparation plan.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Queer Grenadier posted:

Okay so I’m almost to my two year AppleCare+ period. Should I extend it indefinitely by making it a monthly AppleCare+? I’d like to try and maximize the years I get out of this phone and the battery replacement itself may be a return on investment.

Not worth it.

You can replace the phone if it dies (or get an official battery replacement) for way cheaper, and they don’t die that often.

Just use a case and don’t break your phone.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I have the 13 Pro and can never go back to anything less than 120hz, at least for a phone. 60hz doesn’t bother me on my iMac or Windows laptop but when I see a 60hz phone it looks like trash to me now.

All the other flagships have 90hz for their “non-pro” version and 120hz for their pro version so it’ll be a little surprising to me if Apple doesn’t follow suit this round.

I think the 120Hz pro phones downgrade to 60Hz if you’re in battery saving mode, if anyone wants to do a quick comparison.

Very noticeable to me at least.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Skeezy posted:

I’ve heard that Apple is stingy with that if the battery doesn’t actually come out as bad in their diagnostics.

I’ve also heard that it needs to be below 80% for Apple to even consider it.

No clue why they care so much if I feel like paying the $90 they should just do it.

Due to the glue based manufacturing on almost all their phones it’s a real pain to do and has a real non-zero percentage chance of breaking the phone.

I got a refurbed / as new replacement when I did a battery swap a while back because they busted the phone.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a shortcut action to enable/disable the audio feedback sounds from tapping on the keyboard?

Why would you ever want to enable them?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I feel like the tap targets on the PiP video window have changed for the worse in recent iOS updates, either in size or position.

I’m trying to hit close or return-to-app multiple times now nearly every time, either pausing or doing nothing instead.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Clark Nova posted:

the post specifies wd40 contact cleaner, as wd40 now makes products specifically for all of the poo poo people misuse their degreaser for, like that and bike lube

WD-40 brand baby moisturiser, WD-40 brand drain unclogger, WD-40 brand brake cleaner, WD-40 brand heavy grease. All in the same colour can. What could go wrong?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

xzzy posted:

But instagram is where all my favorite photographers post their stuff! There's no other options out there that hit critical mass, everyone that's tried has crashed and burned.

Flickr was 1000x better for actual photography a decade before, but got bought by Yahoo and ruined.

Instagram doesn’t even have decent picture size / resolution, is horrible on desktop.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Overcast’s interface updates and lack of a global queue / up next system that works finally broke me this week. I tried out each of the big podcast apps again and re-settled on pocket casts for now.

I can select an episode, pick ‘up next’ and it will be played next, followed by everything else I’ve already queued. This concept seems to have been lost to Marco Arment of overcast. The button exists but it doesn’t work.

Anything else new & worthwhile in the market beyond Apple Podcasts, Castro, downcast, overcast other than the horrifying idea of using Spotify for podcasts?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jose Oquendo posted:

rumor has it the iPhone 15 won't have any official leather cases. RIP saddle brown and your amazing patina.

Why would they do this? All non leather cases feel horrible, or otherwise only last about a month.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sri.Theo posted:

If you go case less doesn’t your phone slip out of your pocket when you’re in cars etc?

100%, I have no idea how people can cope with the slipperyness of naked iphones, they’re like a bar of soap. There is zero chance I’d trust a naked phone to stay in my pocket while cycling, with any kind of pocket.

It’s literally stressful to even leave it on the arm of a sofa as it’ll always wriggle it’s way off. I maintain that a hard slippery finish on a device you hold is a mistake, and a case makes phones more functional as well as the protection aspect.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Look I spent $1000 for this phone with 4k 60-240fps caneras you bet I’m going to use it on my dick

Don’t forget the macro mode.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don’t think you should expect a tiny smartphone battery to accept much more than 20W regardless of the transfer capacity. The current battery chemistries have limitations, too.

Maybe as we transition to more exotic chemistries this will change, on a few years’ horizon, but I predict not next year.

Other phones already charge at 100w.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Considering the relatively steep drops on various 14 Pro reported, and the amount thereof, sounds like a bunch of lemons from the battery supplier.

Still at 100% here. Knocking on wood.

I feel like the SoC / iOS version just isn’t as efficient as in other model years. Even for a brand new phone, I was frequently out of battery by the end of a day, though I did switch down from an xs max to a normal sized 14 pro as the new plus phones felt clownishly big.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

xzzy posted:

How about a powerbeats pro refresh that has ANC. I want something that won't fall off my head on bike rides but I also crave that noise cancellation.

Yeah, don’t use any in ear headphone or anything with ANC on a bike, you will die.

Shockz are the best solution for all sports.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Nothing that really makes me care about the 15, though I wish there was some kind of embeddable usb-c adapter I could glue into my 14 pro.

I have destroyed my native union 14 pro case inside 6 months, can anyone recommend an alternative to the apple leather case for the 14 pro, or should I just settle for that?

Wish I could find a decent canvas backed case ideally, but otherwise leather >> tpu.

Three Olives posted:

Stray observation that I am sure other people have made but no white iPhone 15 seems like they are really using "fashion" to force people into the Pro. Black is very severe, white was kind of the neutral, all the colors on the 15 just seem, I dunno, kind of immature?

Near 100% of people use a case, it’s irrelevant. At the low end, if they made any colour $50 cheaper it’d sell out first.

They use every possible tactic to upsell people on every product they’ve ever made, nothing new. They made a black MacBook for $200 extra.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kefkafloyd posted:

I guess the Nomad leather cases are the ones to buy now that Apple ones are gone? I had really grown attached to the green leather case for my midnight green 11 Pro Max and as far as I can tell no one is selling dyed green leather cases. I’m skeptical of FineWoven.

I just got an Andar leather case in green for my 14 pro. Seems decent so far. https://www.andar.com/collections/the-cases/products/the-aspen

I think moving away from leather is a terrible move, TPU cases are disgusting to touch. Canvas would be a decent alternative maybe.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Does everyone else have the iOS Safari issue of forum pages with too many embedded images /gifs / webms crashing Safari repeatedly.

Any workaround or alternate browser that isnmt affected?
Is it the same on iPad Safari still too, or is the additional ram enough?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Corb3t posted:

I like Safari on mobile, it has great extensions - User Scripts, Stop The madness, SponsorBlock, Opener, Search ban, AdGuard Pro, Wipr, and Noir.

I understand the compromises & decisions taken by Apple in creating the iPhone hardware and iOS Safari, and I mostly agree with them. The web experience on iOS has been worlds better than on Android since inception, albeit partly due to far better hardware. But content blockers are no longer an acceptable ad blocking solution, and never worked on many sites.

Being able to cope with a poorly coded site and load 50-100 embedded gifs is likely an edge case these days, but it’s still a pain to have the browser in a crash loop. Some warning and a chance to not load the gifs would be nice. They can’t throw ram at things as on desktop, which I guess is the only problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

~Coxy posted:

Anecdotally, the 14 Pro was awful for battery degradation.

Mine was at 90% after less than a year.

Still is. Bad timing to step down a size.