Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

But seriously, trial tanking is barely one step above being blue dps anyways as long as you keep a defensive cooldown up for tankbusters and keep the boss pointed away from the raid. Healing is the truly difficult role that can wipe the party if you gently caress up in my experience.

Agreed. If you miss a mechanic thats an instagib (Ascian Prime's fire and ice combo comes to mind) then not only are you gone but theres a high chance that's basically the ball game for the entire party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really, as healer, my beef is with Tanks that don't park their arse at a boss / paradoxically insist in not dodging the +vuln mechanics.
Had a clown yesterday that insisted that him jumping around like a prat aiming Fafnier's mouth cannon at me was fine becaise it "made it more fun" and "its a low level dungeon anyway"

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 18, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I've always run, tag with AOE, circle back if it doesn't take and that usually works.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So that's emulating where the hour hand would be a those times? IE: between 10 and 11?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You can also have your party have their job icons as prefix to their names too.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh I should say, check your achievements once in a while.

Sometimes those give rewards and I had like three expansions worth of them to go through a couple of weeks back.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also something I realised, you can set your gil counter to display any currency which you can switch through by alt-clicking the gil icon.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 22, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That's... odd, I had it set to show my Poetics.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Runa posted:

Every player, once they get a new class, job, or just gearset they want to be able to swap to on the fly, should learn to make collapsible hotbar macros

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/9rj7qg/collapsing_hotbar_macros_for_a_clean_ui/

https://i.imgur.com/fQjUxWr.mp4

Mine as a Steamdeck User is set to HB10 being the "main" menu (set to a menu that has f1-f12 on my right trackpad) which copies the contents of a catagory (HB's 02-09) to HB01 so I can press a key on my left trackpad (ser to 1-12).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean there's not much to say about ARR's post game that hasn't already been said.

CBU3 could really use a patch cycle or two to get everything down to a somewhat sane amount of work now XIV is 4-some years clear of 1.x's shadow and also clear of each of 2.x's patches needing to keep players doing content for months on end lest they wonder off and/or go back to Azeroth.

That and make ARR Normal Raid series in line with the rest of the game's because there's a lot of context for Alphinaid and Alisaie's character that is lost on most players by that being Savage tier when it really shouldn't be at this point.

That said, the idea of a "open all rp places" jump potion hadn't crossed my mind and its kinda a revelation for me.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 17, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Serperoth posted:

Today I learned that you can get more than one collectible out of a node by saving some integrity.

I've been playing (with a few huge gaps admittedly) since the 2.x patches :negative:

If it makes you feel any better it took me till 3.1to pick up the challenge log because my old computer would die in Limsa from overcrowding.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If anything, I'd recommend doing another couple of classes (preferably in different categories but no big if that's not your speed) for both their stories and for something to do once you clear ARR's Main MSQ and are going through Seventh Astral Era (ARR's postgame patches) such that you're not touching HW's lv cap as your main class / job.

Also also use the hunting logs. They give out ridiculous amounts of XP, will encourage you to fill out the maps (which give out xp too) and will take you to the point where you can do dungeons for better XP.

It's also a little ways out but do Coils unsynced via party finder as soon as Seventh Astral Era starts. It gives a lot more context for certain characters.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 17, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

oh this is a core part of the experience to me. Why even play if you can't yell PERISH, CORRUPTORS! and jump into a big pack swatting with aoe to piss them all off

I mean, hell, you even fight (Stormblood) a literal Zenos at one point and, having done so, I absolutely get Space Marines and their want to scream one off about all that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

GloomMouse posted:

They could reuse the cut "How very glib" line

I'm sorry, "Cut"? There's more of them?

Hellioning posted:

Lalas are cute. It is fun to put them in heavy armor.

I mean "Funny image of Tiny person with Guts' sword" was my goal for DRK and then I played DRK's storyline.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 18, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The Health Bar isn't a cardiograph.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That's ok, I feel that, as a Lala and given everything, it's my duty to kick Elves in the knees out of principal.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh brother was the HW PLD storyline bad.

A shame too because I find playing pld fun and not as thoughtless as the other two Tank jobs.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think a lot of Before Meteor's problems can be sumized with the point that it was the worst excesses of FF XI's design philosophies (Level Down asides, if that was A Thing in BM I'm pretty sure that would have been the absolute death of the game) with the engine (and slavish devotion to the game being pretty over any sort of care for UX) of XIII.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 15, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Wondering how noted ARR disliker Little Demon liked HW MSQ? ARR/HW Spoilers: I didn't feel as down on ARR as you did but I did feel that down about the ascians, who are generic plot pushers and the worst writing in ARR imo. The dude who kidnaps Minfillia felt like the worst asspull in the game. Seeing Thordan come down on Lahabrea as "I'm a God!" had me howling with laughter, then he addresses the WoL in the same way. If you refuse to acknowledge my divinity, meet me in combat. That entire build up and fight rules and I wish the trial was statted to be harder so I could see and do more of it. What an impossibly epic banger of a track. The fine touch on his last 10% is :discourse: too, when he loses his confidence.

That last bit is easily the highlight 3.0's quest line if you get to see it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Today I learned the cutscnes from character creation to your home city's inn keeper are all the way in the sidequests tab of The Unending Journey.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BlazetheInferno posted:

The problem with this is that the game doesn't communicate that that abyss is supposed to be so volatile with dangerous energies that no-one and nothing is supposed to be able to survive down there. This is stated somewhere, but AFAIK, not in-game, and it would have made that decision a lot less "wtf".

Ah. I always figured the sheer drop, as well as no way down there, was enough to do it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

Fray starts by asking if you wanna kill some cops and never stops being awesome. Myste is a pathetic failson who tries to project his guilt complex onto you.

Sidurgu's just trying to learn how to be a dad. :unsmith:
I love the DRK storyline because, ultimately, it's about taking better care of yourself and thus being better able to help others and then, ultimately, yourself and, that, alongside the packaging being Metal as gently caress, is yaknow, nice :unsmith:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Vitamean posted:

you could assign common actions like sprint, limit break, knockback immune and stuff to them. idk how they work or how many buttons there are but I assume you assign them to a key? make a normal hotbar with those keys and functions assigned and there ya go.

unless its different from the pro, you can only program joypad buttons to the back paddles. Tye typical candidates are L/R 3 (the sticks) or L/R2 for an instant trigger.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This is a strange thing to have a hangnail over in a relationship.

That being said fwiw an older gentleman Vira is doable.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The devs are snookered between the two HW classes being stuck behind the city gates of Ishgard and the Seventh Astral Era being a whole entire games worth of campaign in of itself.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I dunno. I could hear him as Bret Wever or like TFS Mr Satan by way of Professor Layton.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Relyssa posted:

Don't feel bad for him. He's a huge dumbass who deserves to get ruthlessly dunked on at every available opportunity. Luckily we have Alisaie to fill that role.

I'm sympathetic to a certain extent because what late High School / Early College "Smartest guy in the room" type hasn't had the singular solution to all the world's problems in their mind?

The dangerous part is where he had the means to work upon that assumption without any hindsight- between the scions being spread thin due to the Doma Refugee Crisis, Alisaie being too busy in the Endgame Content to keep his feet on the ground, and the WoL having their own problems- to disastrous effect.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 10, 2024

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Why do we call them mogtomes and not pomestones?

Same reason the dueling square is a circle, I imagine

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Cid isn't an echo right? It seems like a dubious idea for the crew to bring him along to the Garuda confrontation since she could have easily corrupted him. He just was just lucky/had plot armor I guess.

Edit:
Also, this Garuda fight music is pretty kickass

Nope and nether is Alphinaud for that matter. Out of the whole organisation, only you, a second adventurer who you might have met (the guy with the x warpaint on his face) and Minfilia are Echo users. Everyone really was kinda on the backfoot with the whole primal thing post calamity until you came along.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 25, 2024

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

AndrewP posted:

I am gonna play this game now that it's on Xbox.

something about the flat skin textures mixed with beautiful lighting and high resolution makes it look like like OG Playstation pre-rendered cut scene graphics and that rules

The pre-baked emotes they use also do a good job of calling back how they would "animate" characters back in the SNES days.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

It's that cartoon lalafell laugh that gets me

The one that sounds like Wendee Lee?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
To anyone playing on the Steamdeck, I'd recommend you update the OS and turn the GPU Clock option in performance all the way up. It's solved all but the biggest stuttering issues in the game.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The problem with 7AE is that it is both a storyline-desert and also important as a clear indication that the WoL, as well as the rest of the Scions, are not invincible ether physically or emotionally nor are they going to fix much of anything of the underlying problems of Eoreza even if they beat back one Metal Gear.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't know if you're done the questline yet, but the whole point of it is that they want to ignore you and bury you in stupid tasks so you go away, because each one of them witnessed tons of death and lost friends and allies last time someone tried to fight Titan.

That's... huh. The questline is still a bit of an embugerance but that is an interesting point especially given what happens right after.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also the whole (Lv 30)Waking Sands massacre business.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 6, 2024

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Its a nice place but its skeletons are many and its archery guild has a complete asshat of an elf in its staff.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Thats sad because the bonus mini-aertherite you get for filling out a town's set is universally useful.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It also saves your password and can "auto launch" such all you need to do is use your One Time Password.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah. Maybe don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I actually don't mind then but if they're gonna have you go through “Triumph or Die” mechanics then (as per my understanding up to 5.4) some checkpoints would be nice.