Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Been really enjoying DRK since I just unlocked the class a week ago or so. I feel comfortable jumping into most roulettes, but have been wary of attempting a Trial or Raid with DRK. What particular things should I know, either specific boss mechanics or tanking in a group with other tanks, before attempting these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Thanks everybody, seems rather straightforward! Basically, remember the A/B/C split, if you're not MT pick up adds but otherwise stay up front and DPS, and use mitigation where appropriate? I think the visibility is what makes me nervous but having that big ol sprout icon next to my name helps a lot.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Does anyone have any resources for getting better at PVP? I've hated PVP until recently, having just discovered how much fun MCH can be.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Just learned that you can go to different data centers and buy things from their market-boards if they are cheaper. Decided to pickup two copies of an emote book and sell one back on my server and whoa, easy 120k gil net profit. Seems like a pretty easy/brain-dead way to make some extra gil here and there while also getting fun items for cheaper.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

girl dick energy posted:

87 is an outlier because anyone who doesn’t do that one first time with Duty Support deserves a wedgie. (See also: 89 Trial)

Are there any other dungeons/trials I should really consider doing with duty support instead of a normal group? I'm near the end of ShB (currently on the level 78 quests) and I've been bouncing between duty support and grouping with others. While the former is fun for some of the extra dialogue, it feels a little slow compared to the latter.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Those are all great points, might have to stick to only duty support where I can moving forward! I had absolutely no idea that you got named NPCs in StB, it wasn't immediately obvious to me until ShB where you started seeing the icons over the various NPCs outside a duty you just unlocked. Is there any way to go back and re-do them with the named NPCs?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I remember using duty support once back in early ARR, finding it gruesomely slow with boring no-name NPCs, and promptly forgetting about it. Didn't realize that starting in HW you could get characters from the story. Just noticed that (HW) Haurchefant is an option for The Vault. I sorta want to try that but not sure if I'm emotionally ready for it :(

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Szarrukin posted:

I'm doing the famous DRK questline, I'm at 50lvl quest now and honestly I am underwhelmed. Perhaps other goons overhyped it?

I enjoyed the questline but didn't absolutely love it like most other people. So far I think I've enjoyed MCH the most out of all the job questlines I've gotten through.

Edit: Also, I remember seeing folks say that ShB was written by the same person who wrote the DRK questline which made me worried that I'd be a little underwhelmed with ShB. I'm at the level 79 MSQ point now and I can most assuredly say that it has lived up to the hype, in case you might be concerned about the same thing!

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Theris posted:

You might not be there yet but at some point a stack of "Vesper Bay Aetheryte Tickets" will appear in your inventory. You can use those to teleport to right outside the waking sands.

Don’t think I noticed anyone mention this, but you can also just port to the Arcanist guild in Limsa Lominsa then head west for a bit and there’s a ferry that drops you off right at Vesper Bay

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Also as far as the titan quests are concerned, while absurdly tedious, I do appreciate that there are multiple times much later in the MSQ where you are given dialogue options for your WoL to grumble about it

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Somehow I missed out on doing warring triad until I finished shb which is a shame, there’s some awesome lore/tying up loose ends from HW there.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
It’s a shame how bad the shoulder minions clip with some armor/hair styles. Either way ever since I got my wind up Alpha(post StB) I haven’t been able to switch to another minion.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
ARR Hildy was pretty solid but wayyy too long and had some slow moments. HW was good, but I'm finishing up StB Hildibrand now and god drat it's on a whole 'nother level. The dialogue options alone are just so good.

Two favorite moments have been "I, uh... have a gambling problem. Love the horsebirds. Lost my last gil on Kweh Rhapsody" and "Plot-relevant gloves"

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I appreciate how obvious it is when it's off, I've been finally leveling some tanks after avoiding it for a while and I think only once so far have I forgotten stance and it was activated within the first pull

Sage + forgetting to Kardia on the other hand, that feels even more embarrassing for some reason and isn't as obvious :doh:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Haima have to agree on that one :q:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm one(?) set of cutscenes away from finally making it to Heavensward! :woop:

Congrats! While I enjoyed ARR more than lots of folks, things REALLY picked up right at the end there, and HW is an amazing ride. There's a good 40+ minutes of cutscenes, so definitely clear your calendar.

For my part I'm working on 5.3 now. Just finished the 5.3 trial and now I'm going around with the scions saying goodbye to everyone and god drat. The scene with the Chais and Alphinaud just hit me right in the feels, haven't teared up this hard in this game since The Vault. Uh, not sure I'm ready for the rest of these quests...

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
It's not hard to imagine ARR as a sort of rite of passage, a make-or-break thing so that those of us that go through it are pretty attached to the game and story (this is me), but for everyone one of those people there are tons of others who burned out through ARR. There's also plenty of people apparently that just ignored/skipped the story entirely, and are pretty happy with everything else the game offers, which is fine. There's a gently caress ton of things to do in this game, it's pretty staggering!

If you don't like the story, that's fine, it's a bit of a bummer to hear that personally because I found the story incredibly moving in the expansions (hell even StB made me cry for a brief moment) and I felt like the ridiculous ARR slog was ultimately worth it. But, everyone has different tastes/tolerances and some folks are going to find ARR unbearable which is entirely reasonable. Personally, I didn't hate ARR (or StB!) but I'm also easy to please :shrug:

Also on that note, I finally made it to EW today and lost my sprout status :shobon: Probably should start showing myself out of this thread...

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I think they a good job of dramatically bringing down those inane fetch quests in the expansions, but it's not an immediate jump, more of a noticeable decline that keeps getting better and better. The devs are fully aware that this is a problem and the MSQ gets pretty hilariously self aware at times. Like someone alluded to earlier (won't spoiler and keep this super vague), there's a moment in ShB where one NPC goes "ok I'm gonna need 3 bear asses from these three parts of the world" and I was starting to groan, worrying about was coming. One of the other NPCs immediately responds with "how about you just chill while I handle this because this is obviously a horrendous waste of time for someone like you that could be doing actual hero poo poo". I like to think of all those moments as apologies from the team for having you bear through all those absurd fetch quests, and there's something about that level of self-awareness that made the game extra-endearing to me personally.

I think if you liked Coils/CT/Hildibrand you can reasonably expect to like HW and beyond! Also, what job(s) have you been leveling? There are some flat out horrendous job quests story lines. I think I was lucky that I muscled through playing DRG which, while leveling wise is honestly pretty rough, story-wise it introduces a main character in HW, which helped me build some excitement as I got closer and closer to HW.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
If you like Coils/CT/general Allagan stuff, there's tons of chances to get more of that later on. I always get excited when the game introduces some new Dwemer Allagan fuckery. The HW max-level trial series really goes into that and HW itself has some of my favorite zones, one which is full-on Allagan insanity.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Alphinaud is worth it solely for all the recurring swimming and gathering firewood jokes, especially this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b59TR8pShQ0

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Pinwiz11 posted:

3.0 complete, now for post-main patch quests! :toot:

Congrats! There’s a lot of awesome stuff in post-HW, make sure to do the trial series and normal/alliance raid series too! The alliance raids are fun and the normal raid story is pretty wild (although it starts a bit slow)

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Autisanal Cheese posted:

my main problem as a BLM is trying to remember all this poo poo while trying not to die to mechanics

All that was going through my head while reading that BLM advice:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Tank question: when pulling trash in dungeons, do you always spam your AoEs, or just enough to hold aggro? On DRK and GNB at least (haven’t picked up WAR/PLD yet) I know that the single target combo includes a heal but not the aoe combo. Would it be better to do just enough damage to get aggro and then help the healer out with the single target combo, or help burn trash down faster through aoe?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Thanks friends! Sticking with AoE was my assumption but wasn’t ever 100% sure. Also feel like I constantly see tanks when I’m healing that only use the occasional aoe. Always thought that was weird and maybe I was missing some detail :shrug:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Retainer question: I have two level 90 retainers, both RDM. I usually just send them on quick explorations to see if they bring me anything neat throughout the day, occasionally will get a really expensive glam item or something and sell it on the MB for a nice chunk of gil. Is there anything better I should using my ventures/retainers on?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

orcane posted:

In addition to what posters above mentioned, you can also use https://ffxivteamcraft.com/retainer-ventures to find the most valuable ventures for your given (or planned) retainers.

Personally my combat retainers are all different jobs so I can reuse old gear.

This is awesome, thank you!

And yeah, I had no idea what I was doing when leveling up retainers so I picked the one class I had at 90 at the time and made them both RDM. Still don't have any DoL/DoH jobs at 90 but definitely will plan to switch at some point. The prospect of getting a retainer up to 90 again though is a little daunting, felt like it took forever

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Pvp becomes infinitely more bearable when you find a class you enjoy. I really like SMN/MCH in pvp and find I can usually do a decent job of building battle high. If you give up on the idea of having any kind of impact on winning and just enjoy killing peeps and building BH, frontlines becomes somewhat tolerable!

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Funny that this discussion is coming up right as I’m hitting the HW PLD questline. Personally my favorite so far has been MCH followed by RDM/DRK. Most of the others have felt tedious more than anything. The ShB role quests were a refreshing change of pace, I really enjoyed those and appreciated how they tied into the main story. (EW) Although I just got to that point in EW where you run into all the job quest people + grand company of Eorzea, so I’m curious to see if the 0-70 job/non-role quests tie in more throughout EW!

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Main StB is a bit of a dip but still infinitely better than ARR. And ShB is on a whole nother level

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
You’ll be seeing a lot more of her soon enough! Definitely one of my faves, brings some much needed spunk to offset Alphinaud

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
On a wholly different note, I've been leveling PLD since I already have GNB/DRK leveled to 90 and want to just get all tanks to 90 at this point. Haven't really understood the appeal until just now. Had the healer die 1/3 of the way into the last boss of Skalla and was able to keep the two DPS and myself alive for the rest of the fight. That was pretty drat cool :shobon:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I was pretty close to giving up on PLD, it's awfully boring at 50, but being able to pull off those clutch hail maries is worth it alone.

Also,

Zurtilik posted:

Azys Lla sucks.
:wrong: I think that might be one of my favorite looking zones in the game, so badass and unique

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Doomykins posted:

PLD 50 eh? The class really starts to shape up into something I love from 50-60+ with the spell use, hit up those class quests asap. :twisted:

Oh thankfully I’m already at level 78, but syncing down to 50 is particularly painful on PLD. Nice to be done with all those class quests, 50-60 was as awful as everyone made it out to be. 60-70 wasn’t too bad! Nice simple storyline, and I always appreciate any Nanamo appearances

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Alexander story I found pretty boring for the first few raids but it dramatically picks up around the last third

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

That Little Demon posted:

okay so without knowing too much, and don't spoil me please

about Warrior of Darkness

if what he says is true and his world can only be saved by destroying ours, I agree with him 100% and would do the same and his motivation is just. I would do whatever I could to save my family, my loved ones, even if it meant destroying a different universe, as cold as that sounds. It makes this story so so so so interesting and I hope to god they stick the landing on this because goddamn I love that loving motivation.... also its cool to hear the light can be bad as well when not in balance and how he described it is truly haunting. Good loving poo poo

Agreeing with everyone that they resolve this in a very satisfying way. Wish I could experience this whole storyline for the first time all over again.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I just got to StB WAR and love how Hildibrandish it feels already, did not expect that. Really liked MCH, AST, SGE, and RDM. Thought BLM was mostly dull until the end. PLD is uhh, PLD. Glad the devs realized HW PLD was a disaster and StB PLD was alright.

Personally really hated StB SAM, felt like it went completely against the grain of the whole expansion

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I get all that and it makes sense on paper, but emotionally I just felt like a cop throughout the whole thing

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Expansion only. Going to start on the post-expac stuff shortly. :getin:

:sickos:

Definitely keep us posted when you finish 5.3!

Speaking of the MSQ, I'm nearing the end of EW. Decided to get a quick quest or two in yesterday night before bed and got totally sidelined by (88 spoilers) Urianger and Moenbryda's parents. Oh my gently caress I was not ready for that what the gently caress game :qq:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Regalingualius posted:

The worst is the one that plays right after beating the 87 dungeon, because not only is it something like 15 minutes long, but there are significantly long stretches where it can’t be paused.

I was having some terrible connection issues during this cutscene and ended up disconnecting like 5 or 6 times. Eventually said gently caress it and watched the whole thing on youtube which was a bummer. The expansion is amazing and heavy as gently caress but yeah, would appreciate if they gave you at least a tiny warning or break during some of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Final? followup: I finished 6.0 late Saturday night, and it was amazing. I realized pretty quickly what the story beats were going to be on the final map, but that didn't make them any less painful. What I didn't expect was E-S and H showing up at the end and the summoning of the field of flowers, I. LOST. IT. at that point.

Yeah that part crushed me as well, and also the part right before with all the voices of different characters while you RP-walk to Meteion. I read somewhere that all those elpis flowers are watered by the tears of everyone getting to that point. Sounds accurate to me :qq: