Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

According to FT, JPMorgan Chase is going to partner with retailers (who desperately want to get everyone to stop using CCs), use their market share to push adoption, and wind down their credit card rewards and business. Who knows how successful that will be? Chase also thinks that other major banks are going to get in on the idea by 2025 and go through the same process of pushing adoption, shuttering their credit card divisions, and trying to box out Visa.

Unless Chase gets every other country in the world to adopt this particular system, credit cards aren't going away. That's going to be particularly difficult in countries that already have a system that performs this function just fine, which includes most U.S. trading partners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Tibalt posted:

My take is that while increasing rates are going to decrease the demand for homes, the realignment caused by Covid-19 is going to offset that and there's still going to be a permanent increase in demand. We're not going to get the housing crash that people are waiting for and we're might not even get the market correction you'd expect. Just add it as one more thing to the pile of 'This economy is weird and the old rules don't apply anymore,' along with the permanent contraction of the workforce keeping unemployment low and increased demands for goods and services slamming into supply chain issues.

Demand isn't "I want a bigger house." It's "I want a bigger house and have the means to get one at a price the seller will accept." Interest rate hikes will handily turn the latter into the former if prices don't budge, so sellers are going to have to adapt.

It's not different this time. It never is.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

And even now the USPS still is one of the most reliable and affordable mail services on a global level apparently.

I have to think that anyone who complains very loudly about the USPS hasn't used any other postal service in any other country. Canada Post isn't actually that bad, I guess, but it's definitely not as fast, cheap, convenient, or reliable as the USPS.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Did Joe Biden try the gas price low button? Maybe he should try that.

Florida instituted a state gas tax holiday that expired on October 31. I wonder how many extra votes Ron got in the polls due to Florida voters' demonstrable abject idiocy and subsequent blaming of gas prices on Joe Biden.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

So how long until states start passing laws raising the voting age to 40?

Any such law would be unconstitutional on its face.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Is there actually any sort of mechanism that stops the unions from voting down the deal and then ignoring any back-to-work legislation?

We just had an episode here in Ontario where the government imposed a bad contract on education support workers and made it illegal for them to strike. They struck anyway, and the government backed down, because it's not like people are lining up for those jobs (especially at what they pay these days), and firing them all would have done nothing to reopen the schools. The rail workers seem to be in a similar position—there's no credible threat that they'll be fired and replaced.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Gerund posted:

The mechanism is that which fires a machine gun, held by members of the united states armed forces.

This is obviously a non-serious answer, but I'll bite. Threatening workers with deadly force is going to make some people quit, and there won't be enough workers to run the trains. Actually using deadly force also means there won't be enough workers to run the trains. As above, it's the same as with any other set of hard-to-replace employees; if you're threatening to do something that would very clearly make things worse from your perspective, you're clearly bluffing.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Wildcat strikes are still an option. Which would probably lead to police and the national guard being deployed.

Unless they know how to run the trains, they're not going to be that useful.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Gerund posted:

Lets walk it out: will there be enough workers to run the most critical trains, prioritized trains, necessary-for-national-defense trains? Those are much easier to define (and defend the choice of) rather than rooms full of Canadian children with Canadian parents who would dislike knowing their kids were called "Canada's most worthless pupils".

Let's say half of the workers walk off the job. How are those critical trains going to move around with so many trains idle and yards barely functioning? How are those critical trains going to be assembled from whatever consists are currently moving around the country? You'd probably see massive problems if even 20% of workers were off the job at the same time, because the delays would pile up quickly.

The second half of your answer indicates that you don't know how school systems operate.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Gerund posted:

You're the one who proffered that Canadian pupils and rolling stock was a one-to-one comparison! If you dislike how the analogy works once given scrutiny, get mad at yourself.

Why would I get mad at myself? I didn't make you invent that analogy.

What I actually said is that if the workers are difficult to replace, then a threat of dismissal, violence, or anything else that results in fewer workers being on the job is completely empty and everyone knows it. I don't know why you're trying to twist that into something I never said.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Gerund posted:

Its not at all hard to see what people have said in a thread:

I know, and thank you for confirming that the analogy you invented is absent in my quote, even though you failed to bold the actual salient point, which is—yet again—that a threat to fire striking workers is utterly toothless in a labor market that is incapable of providing replacements. The same goes for anything else that causes any of them not to be on the job, like inducing them to quit or injuring or killing them. This appears hard for you to understand, but a rail worker who has quit their job, or who has been rendered incapable of performing it, will not be moving any trains, no matter how much Congress stamps its feet.

Gerund posted:

You're in the United States Current Events thread saying a situation "here in Ontario" is similar enough to be comparible.

Is there something about the United States, uniquely in the world, that allows workers with specialized skills and training to be replaced on a whim, thereby denying them leverage in labor negotiations? That would be required for the situation to be dissimilar.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

If workers chose to strike anyway if they don’t get their sick leave, and did things like occupy rail yards and block trains from moving, what do you think will happen?

I doubt they would need to do anything beyond withdrawing their labor to have a pronounced effect on basically everything. All of them staying home for 24-48 hours would be enough to get the point across.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

cat botherer posted:

a president whose brain doesn't work because of dementia

Is Trump running in the Democratic primary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Apple just surrendered to the U.S. DOJ, Epic Games, and E.U. and gave up their nearly decade-long legal fight to require all apps on the iPhone go through the app store and banning installing your own apps.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/13/23507766/apple-app-store-eu-dma-third-party-sideloading

That sound you hear is every corporate IT department gearing up to block this on managed devices.