Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SalTheBard posted:

Q is the worst thing ever and I loving hate it even exists

I've heard that the internet makes you stupid.

I don't recall where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

poo poo. The Deep State strikes again?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've occasionally had to navigate the internet without an ad blocker installed and I can't for the life of me imagine that being the norm.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Why, no, of course I don't want to help any people in my state that got hosed over by a major hurricane

https://news.yahoo.com/matt-gaetz-votes-no-relief-042534442.html

Matt Gaetz Votes No On Relief Money As Florida Grapples With Hurricane Ian Aftermath

quote:

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), a Florida native and lawmaker, voted against a measure to free up millions of dollars in disaster relief for the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Gaetz was one of several House Republicans on Friday who voted against a resolution to allow FEMA to use up to $15 million from the Disaster Relief Fund, Newsweek reported.

The bill passed in both the House and the Senate, and it awaits President Joe Biden’s approval.

The vote comes in the same week that Hurricane Ian killed dozens of Florida residents, flooded communities, and destroyed homes and businesses.

Gaetz and other GOP lawmakers added their names to a letter that said they’d “do what is necessary” to stop funding the Biden administration, according to the news site.

“Any legislation that sets the stage for a ‘lame duck’ fight on government funding gives Democrats one final opportunity to pass that agenda,” the letter said.

Yeah, the "agenda" of helping out thousands of people in your home state who've had their life bascially ruined but "need to get immediately back to work!" at their flattened/flooded places of employment.

God I hate this prick. And I hate his dumb loving face and fake, smug, dishonest poo poo eating grin.

I'm not usually one to judge people on their physical appearance but this dude is straight out of central casting for Cheesy Dishonest Creepy Date Rapist Megachurch Car Salesman Amway Embezzlement Habitual Lying Asskissing Suckup Guy. He reminds me of that actor that played Shooter McGavin in Happy Gilmore and Thelma's husband in Thelma and Louise, where he just oozes "slime" on sight.

And he creeps me out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

nm

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

To me it seems like computer algorithms are just the natural extension of sales driven targeted marketing.

Like the way TV ads tailor their time slots to a specific demographic depending on the time of day or type of show being shown. Toy commercials and sugary cereal ads during saturday morning cartoons and after school shows. Cleaning, cooking and weight loss products on weekday afternoons during soap operas, game shows and talk shows. Ads targeting the elderly throughout the day. Sporting events show lots and lots of car and beer ads.

Magazines and newspapers do the same thing so, naturally, you get different ads in Rolling Stone (music), Cosmopolitan (make up, skin care, shampoo and fashion), Playboy (liquor and tobacco), Ebony ("black" products), Better Homes and Gardens or Sports Illustrated, etc. Consumer Reports is an interesting outlier since it eschews advertising but it's still targeted and designed to sell articles.

This has been going on for ages but the internet has drastically changed the delivery mechanism and now the "products" are fascism and racism - generated not by board meetings with marketing executives and salespeople but rather whatever they program the computer to think - and are designed to sell you an ideology rather than something you buy in a store. And I don't entirely know how you regulate that or, as others have pointed out, come up with a good way to decide who gets to do it, which is the real tricky part.

Print and TV ads have SOME regulation surrounding what they can and cannot do or who they can target (tobacco to kids, for instance) but it's always an uphill battle and in many ways is often unenforceable. The sheer volume alone of YT videos and internet content alone is enough to make this a really daunting task.

Still, it'd be nice if YT and FB put as much effort into moderation of this toxic poo poo as they do going around looking for copyright violations and naughty words.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

edit: n/m tired of algorithm chat

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I got a nice chuckle out of the bill being named The Freedom to Walk Act, I gotta admit.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

No such thing as Right On Red in NYC, plus universal speed limit of 25 unless otherwise posted.

Ofc it doesn't stop everything, but it helps a lot.

Ah, yes. The Ratso Rizzo Act.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nameless Pete posted:

They make it sound like heroin. I wouldn't touch the stuff under normal circumstances but if I knew I was on my deathbed, sure, bring on the palliative sodomy.

I've brought up before in other threads but so long as we have this "Fentanyl Epidemic" and seem to be struggling with implementing the death penalty in ways that don't make people feel icky, why not just OD people sentenced to capital punishment with hot shots collected and stored in evidence labs?

I'm 100% totally opposed to the death penalty, mind, but were I ever to be on death row and face my maker, I'll take "heroin overdose, please" and feel like an opioid overdose might be some sort of happy medium. This way, we can avoid all those problematic uncomfortable issues like people being set on fire during electrocution and writhing in agony with weird chemicals coursing through their veins that make them FEEL like they're on fire. Even though some DP proponents prefer that aspect of corporal punishment, I've never been a fan.

E

Also, really loving wild to sit back and take in several things the Biden administration has done in the last 3-6 months that actually seem to matter to people and watching his approval rating go up. The cynic in me says it's all timed to election year politics and timing but I can't shake the idea how amazing it is that when Democrats actually DO the things we elect them to do that their overall support rises.

Seeing Biden do his recent 180 on locking people up for weed was probably the single easiest thing he could have done from the outset.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 8, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think most people who advocate for the death penalty really like the ritual aspects of it and would feel that it wasn’t really the death penalty if terror and pain weren’t properly measured aspects of it.

Maybe, but almost to a man, the people who've witnessed botched executions did not like it. Funny that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

World Famous W posted:

there is nothing pleasant about oding

Right, and I mean...I'll take your word for it and I wouldn't know having never done heroin - let alone overdosed - but from what I can tell it's probably a better way to go out than the electric chair or whatever chemical bleach and weed killer cocktail they use for an execution in Arkansas currently. As I said, I'd prefer that the state never has the power to legally murder anyone but as long as we're doing that, an opioid overdose seems about as peaceful and painless as anything my non sadistic mind can think of.

I suppose I'm imagining something similar to hospice than whatever barbaric lava in people's veins we hem and haw about at the moment and argue about what's humane or not in a country where half of our society thinks we should have smaller government but salivates at the idea of locking up people for life and wants to fast track death sentences.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 8, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Riven posted:

I get to work the election this year! Been trying to for a couple of years and the stars have never aligned but I’ll be a Support Judge (greeting/line-length-counting/sticker-handing-outing/assisting with setup and answering questions/misc) this year. I’m excited!

Lol to make this more current-events-relevant, apparently a decent chunk of my in-person training will be about reporting electioneering and de-escalation techniques.

The longest video of the online training has been on how to not blow yourself up while lighting the propane heater if you’re at a drive-up tent.

Might make for a cool "Ask/Tell" thread.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't know what to make of this but get ready for $185/lb snow crab prices. I mean...not that I can afford it anyway but...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/16/us/alaska-snow-crab-harvest-canceled-climate/index.html

Billions of snow crabs have disappeared from the waters around Alaska. Scientists say overfishing is not the cause

quote:

The Alaska snow crab harvest has been canceled for the first time ever after billions of the crustaceans have disappeared from the cold, treacherous waters of the Bering Sea in recent years.

The Alaska Board of Fisheries and North Pacific Fishery Management Council announced last week that the population of snow crab in the Bering Sea fell below the regulatory threshold to open up the fishery.

But the actual numbers behind that decision are shocking: The snow crab population shrank from around 8 billion in 2018 to 1 billion in 2021, according to Benjamin Daly, a researcher with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

“Snow crab is by far the most abundant of all the Bering Sea crab species that is caught commercially,” Daly told CNN. “So the shock and awe of many billions missing from the population is worth noting – and that includes all the females and babies.”

The Bristol Bay red king crab harvest will also be closed for the second year in a row, the agencies announced.

Officials cited overfishing as their rationale for canceling the seasons. Mark Stichert, the groundfish and shellfish fisheries management coordinator with the state’s fish and game department, said that more crab were being fished out of the oceans than could be naturally replaced.

But calling the Bering Sea crab population “overfished” – a technical definition that triggers conservation measures – says nothing about the cause of its collapse.

“We call it overfishing because of the size level,” Michael Litzow, the Kodiak lab director for NOAA Fisheries, told CNN. “But it wasn’t overfishing that caused the collapse, that much is clear.”

Litzow says human-caused climate change is a significant factor in the crabs’ alarming disappearance.

Maybe once rich people can no longer eat crab and lobster they'll do something about temperature rise.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Can't afford that either so will take your word for it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Well, pretty much. Four or five crops feed the whole planet. Menus will change and people will become more accustomed to eating the fish that grow in the new niches.

That reminded me and I haven't thought about it an a while but even if we move more and more to a vegetable based diet and eat less meat, don't we have an issue with pollination and what not because all the bees are dying as well?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Progressives should just put an R by their name and see what happens.

”This one weird trick to get elected…”

Or just propose legislation in total opposition to their desired outcome. WE've already seen how Republicans can figure out a way to hate literally receiving money from the government when the "wrong" person is doing it but will gleefully cash a check signed by Trump and point to that as a good thing he did.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kanos posted:

I don't think this is necessarily true, given that nakedly opportunistic remora eels like Lindsay Graham and Ted Cruz and pathetic empty suits like Marco Rubio can get elected and re-elected.

The Republican voter base has consistently and regularly proven itself to be incredibly susceptible to liars, grifters, and con artists.

If I read him right, I think Steve meant that the GOP establishment knows the difference between the money players in their party from the ones hollering about voter fraud and poo poo. It's the whole thing where the frankenstein monster they created broke free of his chains but they still need him to vote in order to win elections.

The real mainstream, traditional, By the Book Old Money Republicans hate...HATE their voters who were hatched from the Rush Limbaugh egg no matter how useful or gullible they are.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the_steve posted:

There will 100% be some users who will make a big show of clutching their pearls and announcing the closing of their account forever because of the bad orange man being allowed back on it.

Those same people will also quietly return a week later and pretend it never happened or offer some halfassed excuse about why they had to come back.

Yes, right after they all move back from Canada; the place where they fled in droves in Nov, 2016.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I’m not sure what is so hard to understand here:

If one wants to push and deliver their political agenda it requires propaganda. Propaganda requires folks to believe a thing is true even if it isn’t because the end goal isn’t about being correct in this one instance, it’s about the end result as a whole.

I find it honestly shocking liberal minded folks have either not figured this out OR find the tactic unpalatable to embrace. If one cares about the end results, they should be more open to
methods that would actually deliver those results.

I find it odd that anyone would find the tactics of the right in this case shocking. Have a better game plan to control the narrative.

Exactly. If these tactics are beneath anyone who wants to see their political results delivered, then they will and should fail.

I think there's a difference between what you're labeling as "propaganda" versus what amounts to basic "advertising", even if the fine line and that distinction is increasingly slim. Or probably has always been that way really. But, if I'm reading you right, we're back to the old argument (that I agree with) that the democrats absolutely suck at messaging, which propaganda and advertiisng ARE.

I'm not sure what's to be done about it beyond hammering the poo poo you KNOW you are right about and, as much as I loathe the right wing messaging machine, it's becoming increasingly clear that the left/dems/liberals almost have no choice but to get down into the muck and check their sense of shame and decorum at the proverbial door if they want anything at all to resonate in the popular discourse. It doesn't help much that what is ostensibly the left wing platform revolves around complicated issues that are hard to condense into a bumper sticker while, on the right, all you need to do is talk about Jesus, Guns, Bibles and say "freedom" a lot - and it's getting worse in the 40 words or less/tik tok/influencer world we live in where any issue we read about or listen to has to fit on a phone screen or a 3 minute video.

Or during a 15 minute commute while casually listening to the radio.

Republicans understand this because they're sales people at heart driven by profit as a means unto itself, centered on power and control and not the collective good.

The thing that really gets my goat is when the dems have a winning issue that actually COULD be boiled down to a simple slogan and still manage to gently caress it up (Explaining = losing and all that) or just ignore it entirely until they sense the political winds have shifted rather generating any sort of wind on their own or being out ahead on issues. I think of things like Hillary using "I'm With Her" over "She's With Us", pushing harder and earlier on legalizing weed, getting out in front of gay issues and certainly, going back, being more assertive and vocal in opposing the Iraq War.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the discussion presupposes that democrats are principledly opposed to lying to people in order to get their votes.

I don't presuppose that at all and don't think I implied it. Hell, if you want to throw just lying to people into the mix regarding what I wrote, you can still do better messaging those lies and they can't even do that well. The "$2000 checks" is a perfect example of how they gently caress this poo poo up because, like you pointed out, they gently caress it up and have to go "well, technically, you already received $600 so another $1400 = $2,000" and, yay, you received a month's rent.

Republicans flat out lie about everything, are shameless about it and when caught or called out will claim fake news or just deny even ever saying it.

I don't want Democrats to do that. Even the few Democrats that I actually like suck out loud at what I'm talking about here whereas almost every Republican I see understands the game almost to a person. Politics is the art of marketing. No different than selling a case of Coca Cola

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If you don’t want folks who support causes you agree with to do this, then you admit defeat.

Perhaps. But what I mean is I don't want to wind up with a bunch of left wing Sean Hannity's, MGT's and Donald Trumps because That's What You Must Do to Get Elected. Or even heard. And, to me, when we actually arrive THERE is when I personally will admit defeat.

Democrats don't have to get that far into the crazy bullshit, subterfuge and denying abject reality because, in theory at least, they and their base are on the correct side of most issues, even if they collectively lack a lot in the way of solutions. Meaning they don't have to go all Liberal FOX News about it and just flat out make poo poo up. They just need to grow some loving balls, call this poo poo what it is and amplify, clarify and most especially unite and coordinate their messaging. They don't have to make poo poo up like election fraud and what have you. The 1/6 committee is what is like to see more of.

Joe Biden waited until 8 weeks before the mid terms to even appear to be trying to placate his base. Meanwhile, RvW got overturned under his watch and he got saddled with the Afghanistan withdrawal fiasco and whatever this economy is.

I keep thinking of that old SNL sketch where the guy playing Dukakis or whoever it was said "I can't believe I'm losing to this guy" and that was like 40 loving years ago.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

It was probably posted last weekend but real loving cool to know that this happened about 30 miles up the road from me in a city I lived and worked in for about 20 years

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/30/us/florida-georgia-game-kanye-west

These people are getting more brazen and increasingly acquiring more political power. I know my view is tainted and skewed based on where I live but I'm often curious how many of the posters here who like to handwave and laugh at them actually live in areas where they are growing.

Not directed at you, skylined, just a general observation.

I've been worried about for a good while now - well over a decade - and have many reasons why my concern is obviously misplaced or overblown. Roughly 1/4 to a 1/3 of this country right now honestly believes the Pelosi attack was staged, that 1/5 was no big deal and that the 2022 election was rigged. Maybe even more than that.

poo poo's real bed and not getting better.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I was unemployed and bouncing from job to job for good long minute there not too long ago and the ACA essentially kept me..well..."alive" would be too strong a word since nothing that ails me is life threatening but more "not going bankrupt" for my health issues. So I suppose "solvent" would be a better way of putting it. Although one could argue that mental health and chronic pain issues might be deemed as life threatening through certain lenses and degrees of severity.

Conservative candidates and their voters are all well and good at wanting to abolish "handouts" up until it affects THEIR handouts or, probably more to the point, whenever someone gets more help than they themselves receive. In which case it's "government hands off my Medicare" time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nice democracy we got going here. Be a shame if something were to happen to it

https://news.yahoo.com/homeland-security-admits-tried-manufacture-114500599.html

Homeland Security Admits It Tried to Manufacture Fake Terrorists for Trump

quote:

The Department of Homeland Security launched a failed operation that ensnared hundreds, if not thousands, of U.S. protesters in what new documents show was as a sweeping, power-hungry effort before the 2020 election to bolster President Donald Trump’s spurious claims about a “terrorist organization” he accused his Democratic rivals of supporting.

An internal investigative report, made public this month by Sen. Ron Wyden, a Democrat of Oregon, details the findings of DHS lawyers concerning a previously undisclosed effort by Trump’s acting secretary of homeland security, Chad Wolf, to amass secret dossiers on Americans in Portland attending anti-racism protests in summer 2020 sparked by the police murder of Minneapolis father George Floyd.

The report describes attempts by top officials to link protesters to an imaginary terrorist plot in an apparent effort to boost Trump’s reelection odds, raising concerns now about the ability of a sitting president to co-opt billions of dollars’ worth of domestic intelligence assets for their own political gain. DHS analysts recounted orders to generate evidence of financial ties between protesters in custody; an effort that, had they not failed, would have seemingly served to legitimize President Trump’s false claims about “Antifa,” an “organization” that even his most loyal intelligence officers failed to drum up proof ever existed.

The DHS report offers a full accounting of the intelligence activities happening behind the scenes of officers’ protest containment; “twisted efforts,” Wyden said, of Trump administration officials promoting “baseless conspiracy theories” to manufacture of a domestic terrorist threat for the president’s “political gain.” The report describes the dossiers generated by DHS as having detailed the past whereabouts and the “friends and followers of the subjects, as well as their interests” — up to and including “First Amendment speech activity.” Intelligence analysts had internally raised concerns about the decision to accuse anyone caught in the streets by default of being an “anarchist extremist” specifically because “sufficient facts” were never found “to support such a characterization.”

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This story is...uh...a bit thick.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/06/us/iowa-teen-killed-alleged-rapist-escape/index.html

The Iowa teen who killed her alleged rapist and was sentenced to probation has escaped from custody
Michelle Watson Dakin Andone

quote:

Pieper Lewis, the Iowa teenager who killed a man she said raped her and was sentenced to probation and ordered to pay restitution to his family, has escaped from a residential corrections facility, according to Iowa’s Fifth Judicial District Department of Corrections.

Lewis “walked away from the Fresh Start Women’s Center on Friday at 6:19 a.m. after cutting off her electronic monitoring tracking device,” Jerry Evans, the district’s executive director, told CNN in an email Sunday morning. “At this time, her whereabouts are unknown.”

Officials have filed a probation violation report, Evans said, recommending her probation be revoked. “A warrant for her arrest was subsequently issued that remains outstanding.”

Lewis was 15 years old when she killed a man she said had raped her multiple times, CNN previously reported. She received a deferred judgment from Polk County District Judge David Porter after pleading guilty to voluntary manslaughter and willful injury, and in September an Iowa judge ordered Lewis to pay $150,000 to his family in restitution, as required by Iowa law.

Porter also ruled Lewis would receive five years’ probation, serve 200 hours of community service and pay an additional $4,000 in civil penalties. The deferred judgment meant it could be expunged from Lewis’ record.

Just horrible poo poo all the way down

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the_steve posted:

Absolutely start at the beginning.
Each season is it's own story, but they do plenty of callbacks and bring back characters, so, best to start at 1.

Jesus. While on a visceral level, I hope she clowns on everyone chasing her down for awhile, that's realistically no way to live and I hope she's able to get herself into some sort of best-case scenario, whatever that would entail.

I can't imagine it ending well no matter how it shakes out and just...reading about this...

Man, it hit me hard. Just hosed up from top to bottom without a good start, end or finish in loving sight and a just a case study of a hopeless situation with no good solutions.

Not kidding when I say this story shook me for real and spun my head a bit. Made me sad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^lol^^^

Epic High Five posted:

After 4 years of the opposition saying they can't do this or that to him because he's POTUS, it's hard to blame him for thinking that simply being a declared candidate will result in them all backing off out of terror of looking like they're being political. He's right to think that, imho. I think he's mostly just doing it because he misses the attention though.

Definitely this. If he were to announce, it'd be his way of making what's pretty certain to be a Republican wave tomorrow all about him and he'll likely even take credit for it. "None of this beautiful yuge red wave - biggest wave in all of history, the likes of which no one's ever seen - would have been possible without me. You're favorite president"

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Also, let's not forget that he is already taking pot-shots at DeSantis and even notable right-wing lapdogs like Matt Walsh are like, "Hey, this isn't helpful, maybe shut up for a sec." I can't fathom any reason why he would already be laying groundwork against DeSantis unless he was banking on facing off against him in a primary.

About this, one talk radio moron today and his guest were trying to say that "sanctimonious" is reallly a compliment, you see, because it means "having and holding a high moral character". Which, or course, is incorrect.

Definition of sanctimonious
1: hypocritically pious or devout

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm not thrilled about tonight's inevitable GOP blowout.

What worries me more, though, is that it's going to be parlayed into a self justifying stance that the new election laws and all the bullshit they got up to are proof that "this time it wasn't stolen" and this time we won. See what happens when we rin poo poo FAIR? I mean, they're gonna do that anyway but it's going to be, to many, the old magic rock that keeps the tigers away rather than just, you know, the fact that they actually won the elections.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Anecdotally (NC/NY), I've heard my very Trumpy relatives speak fondly of DeSantis pretty often, and my less-Trumpy-but-still-Republican relatives even moreso. I mean, Fox News loves him and talk show hosts hate him, so that's basically all you need to know. The rest usually flows pretty predictably out of that.

Of course that still tells us relatively little about "undecided voters" but I'm not convinced there's really any way to know that ahead of time at this point.

From skimming the news this morning, it certainly seems like the narrative is solidifying around "GOP didn't do great, Trumpy candidates failed, DeSantis excelled." Including Fox News.

Are you talking about talk radio? Because this is not remotely close to being true. They loving love the dude and one guy I caught today was actually ragging on DOnald for loving this Red Wave up for the GOP, much to my suprise.

Epic High Five posted:

I think we've put more thought into why he'd say something like that than he did.

Truth. Trump said it because everything has to be about him, plain and simple. No one else, especially another MAGA weirdo, is permitted to be popular or well like without his permission and anyone who is is because of him or something he said/did.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 10, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There was a study about what happens based on MBA graduates in CEO leadership at corporations. They don’t increase sales, grow the company, or make productivity increases.

What they do is reallocate current costs to increase returns to shareholders. And it comes outta one place: Employee wages.

It was in a recent economist “In short, ushering mbas into corner offices seems to boost shareholder value by slicing the pie in certain ways, not by making the pie bigger.”

https://www.economist.com/business/2022/04/09/how-mba-wielding-bosses-boost-profits

So if you need to grow profits. They don’t do that. But they can take them from employees. Which is a very temporary way to grow returns.

Job Creators!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The laptop stuff is likely to be mostly true but it's still pretty irrelevant and doesn't much matter one way or the other. It's a little bit like Roger Clinton being a tremendous fuckup. This isn't going to stop the GOP from going full tilt into trying to turn it into the biggest scandal in presidential history, mind, but I still haven't been able to ascertain exactly what it is they think they can prove with it aside from things we already know about Joe Biden's troubled son.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Morrow posted:

Laptop stuff isn't true. Don't accept the narrative that there is something to it: at most, dude hacked Hunter's cloud to get a sex tape.

They're hoping to recreate the smoke around Benghazi and Clinton so eventually people will think "if there's smoke, there's fire". Thinking there's something to it, just blown out of proportion, is just feeding into it.

I was referring to the post above mine by Gumball Gumption, not ceding the narrative of the GOP and RWM.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Very true - rape apologia, victim blaming, and enabling a serial sexual predator are all certainly “man things”. I’m not sure if “publicly offering a job to person investigating you” can really be considered gendered behavior.

Hillary also took a lot of poo poo for her whole Stand By Your Man approach to her husband's infidelity, which was not deserved and was 100% a personal/family issue. She even caught a lot of shade from feminists for not getting a divorce. I also remember people getting pissed off that she spearheaded the Clinton administration's health care approach.

I could take or leave her, overall, even though I did vote for her but the demonization she catches and has had to endure for decades is off the loving chart considering she's basically just a run of the mill, normal politician that gets up to some questionable poo poo from time to time like any other one does. You honestly don't get to that level - running for president - without a few somewhat shady endeavors but good lord the right thinks she's the antichrist.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Can people provide sources of what is real and isn’t real about the whole Hunter laptop affair? This sounds like a situation where lefties can end up buying into some dumb conspiratorial disinformation because “Of course! America bad!”

Gumball Gumption posted:

The truth about what's the truth with the Hunter laptop is well known. https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/04/hunter-biden-laptop-guo-wengui-bannon-giuliani/

In short the videos of him doing drugs and avoiding women are real but probably not from the laptop and were stolen at another time. The laptop is real and part of an FBI investigation but that investigation is about tax fraud and an illegal gun purchase. There is real evidence of low level corruption but everyone's doing it so I guess no one cares? In short, a lot of it's real but everyone involved has a motive around it that's not just "corruption and abusing women is bad so this should be stopped" so it's also being manipulated for those goals.

Overall the Hunter stuff is just a depressing look at the way the world works.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This whole thing is so dumb but gently caress me if it's not succeeding in controlling the narrative. Even here. And I'm guilty of it myself.

For gently caress's sake. Biden didn't make his son ambassador to Saudi Arabia or put him in charge of anything. Kid is hosed up has some issues and is using whatever clout he has to feed his addiction. Film at 11.

RWM is laughably making this a national security issue and completely excusing everything Trump has done. Reminding everyone that Hunter Biden was never president nor was appointed to a cabinet position. God drat I wish hypocrisy had any sort of teeth, could stick or make these idiots capable of self examination but they think all of Trumps bullshit is exactly the same as...whatever this is.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Cabbit posted:

I really thought Trump calling for the US Constitution to be torn up pursuant to him being reinstalled as president would have been a bigger topic of discussion.

https://twitter.com/ArthurDelaneyHP/status/1599076564372967424

I was just about to post this.

Hey, remember when Obama was going to outlaw elections, tear up the constitution and install himself as king?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

cr0y posted:

No, we infact do not do those things.

Can we please loving arrest this moron Jesus Christ.

I mean...I'm sitting here picturing the average conservatives that I know and trying to imagine how the ones that worship this dude like a cult leader can rationalize this. These goobers go on about the constitution as if it were carved on stone tablets and delivered by Moses from on high because AMERICA = GOD and their golden calf idiot greaseball real estate mogul with a reality TV show who used to bang porn stars saying we should suspend it doesn't ruffle a feather. Or I guess it's more fake news (?) and he never said that. Or if he did, he didn't mean it. Or if he meant it, what about Sanders, Michelle Obama, AOC, etc etc?

Picture Obama, Clinton or Biden tweeting this.

For Trumpists and MAGA's this seems like their local parishioner standing in front of his congregation and saying "You know what? As a matter of fact, gently caress this bible right here. This book is wrong and should be put away until the collection plate fills up faster. Jesus has been very mean and unfair to me." and the entire flock goes "yeah, that book is too liberal. Here, have some more of my money".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The only true stance the GOP and conservatives have is “We are the ones who deserve power and everyone else is a subhuman to be placed under our boot heel”.

Main Paineframe posted:

It's simple to rationalize. "Democrats broke the Constitution first with their election-stealing conspiracies, so we can't let the Constitution get in the way of protecting the Constitution by defeating them and their anti-constitutional rule at all costs".

Gonna steal that bolded part up there.

And these responses remind me again of exactly how much of the MAGA GOP mindset is projection. Like, if you are a thief or an adulterer, you view everyone else and your partner as a stealer and a cheater. They are painting their political opponents as trying to destroy democracy - when that is, in fact what they are doing or attempting to do. Their dear leader is clearly stating here that the constitution they worship is invalid now. Some of the republicans who don't buy it still do the projection thing because it's an old and effective tactic perfected by Karl Rove.

And Dr. VooDoo is spot on. When democracy and voters don't do what I want them to do, then it is democracy that is wrong and certain people must not be allowed to vote anymore so we'll invent the concept of mass voter fraud and then pass laws designed to prevent this non existent problem because "hey, whattaya' got against free and fair elections, lib?"

Same thing with capitalism, actually. When the free market makes decisions that they dislike, then it's censorship and cancel culture run amok all over their free speech. When private insurance socks them with a massive healthcare bill, well then poo poo, something really needs to be done since this is outrageous. I know, let's limit tort laws!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The FBI is already in NC investigating this, I really don't get the impression that it's not being taken seriously by the authorities

What they absolutely need to do is arrest that LibsofTikTok woman considering how many acts of violence she has helped to inspire against people all over the country

So I know zero about this but is this a thing where the person labels themselves a LIB so that anyone who listens to talk radio or watches FOX can say "well, obviously this is a left wing attack"? Similar to how MAGA types like to equate democrats with Hitler because National Socialist Party. Or am I overthinking this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

The nature of the account isn't "I'm a lib on TikTok", it's more like "look at all these dumb libs on TikTok, let's all make fun of them". It's basically a "post stuff from people we hate to mock them" account, except there's no "don't touch the poop" rule and much of its audience is brain-poisoned idiots who get off on stalking and harassing the mock targets.

Random transphobes who get mad about LGBT-friendly stuff in their communities privately send their complaints to this person, and LibsOfTiktok tweets it out to their national follower base - who then descend on some random elementary school or children's hospital or nightclub with a wave of hate mail, harassment, and threats.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

afaict it started life as a hatereading account reposting all the dem/left posts and such that made her angry, whereupon she more or less immediately segued into providing RL information about the posts and posters that made her angry

Rigel posted:

No, they aren't doing a bit or playing a character. Most of their tweets are pretty straightforward in the format of "here's what those evil liberals are doing today". Their primary focus is hatred against LGBT, with an emphasis on the "immoral" things the godless left are trying to teach our children to try to make them all gay.

Jethro posted:

She's pointing out all the wacky libs on TikTok

And saying they deserve to die

Oh. So it's even shttier and more horrible than I thought. Cool.

This is mixing in real nice with Trump saying "gently caress the constitution, I'm the president" and RW sites beginning to line up and agree with him in ways that make me feel great about the future. Awesome.