Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Kalit posted:

A point of clarification here: reputable search engines absolutely do not tailor results. This is why when any 2 people search the same word/phrase in something like Google, they get the same results. Or if you compare your results with an incognito mode browser results
That's not true. e.g.,

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/4/18124718/google-search-results-personalized-unique-duckduckgo-filter-bubble

https://tinybullyagency.com/why-googles-search-results-vary-from-person-to-person/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Riptor posted:

Putting aside how this can't possibly be true for "algorithmic feeds" across the board, I'm not sure how you can even come to this conclusion about YouTube specifically. Their recommendation algorithm is specifically providing recommendations specific to your interests and watch history; how is that interpreted as being "broadly representative"? It's the opposite.
It's not optimizing to match your watch history interests, it is maximizing the expected time you spend watching videos and ads. Turning you into a nazi, as it happens, is one of the best ways to do that. More generally, it turns you want to make people mad and/or insecure (IG influencers).

ColdPie posted:

No it isn't. There are ten hundred billion guitar institutional videos out there. 98% of them are trash. They use algorithms to sort out the good ones from the bad. Bad actors abuse that same algorithm to put crazy videos in front of people. Sorting out how to get the good (high quality content) from the bad (crazy poo poo) is a really hard problem. There's a further problem that both avenues are profitable for the platforms so they're not really incentived to fix it. Throwing it all in the trash and just returning all videos that have “guitar instruction” in the user submitted keywords isn't a solution, it's the death of that platform. There's a problem here, but “banning algorithms” isn't the solution.
Oh you sweet summer child.

edit: People ITT are really not understanding how much human intervention and work goes into something like youtube recs. It's not some bleep-bloop algorithm they set and forget. It's more like a huge program with machine learning components, and it's constantly being modified. While machine learning models tend to absorb biases from their training data, that it not what is going on when half your sidebar is Jorpan Peenerson. BTW, I am literally a data scientist, so I know more than the average bear about this stuff.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 4, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Riptor posted:

again the root problem is not the algorithm; it's the fact they won't remove these videos from their site.

and, as it relates to the scotus case, the algorithm acting in this way is not an editorial choice
You keep talking about "algorithm" as if its some independent actor. It isn't. It receives constant manual intervention and tuning. Also, can we please stop calling it "algorithm"? It's not even the correct word.

It makes far more sense to talk about the people who build the rec engine and their motivations. Facebook has oodles of data. They could very, very easily stop recommending far-right videos in unrelated contexts if they wanted to, but they don't. It makes them money.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 4, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

ColdPie posted:

Sure. What do you suggest?

Also can you provide some further reading on the manual intervention on YouTube specifically? Not doubting you, I'm genuinely interested to learn more.
ML model or similar is a better term. An algorithm is an abstract way of how to compute something. Long division is an algorithm.

People have this idea that it's some kind of set-and-forget "AI" thing. Real ML is just statistics on computers, and requires massive amounts of tuning and intervention. I don't know how Youtube recs work, but usually those things are one of many variants on the idea of low-rank (non-negative) matrix factorization with some ranking thrown in there, sort of like approximating users with a smaller set of distinct archetype users. There's definitely vastly more to it than something like that though. We're talking about something that easily hundreds of people work on full-time.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 4, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Sure, I didn't mean to jump down your throat about it, but I really hate how hyped and unrealistic this stuff gets portrayed by the media and the industry.

"Algorithm" became a buzzword associated with AI stuff for some reason, but it's incorrect to use it that way. It doesn't even have anything to do with AI in particular. Spreadsheets use implementations of sorting algorithms, operating systems use scheduling algorithms, etc. There can be a shorthand for saying "X program uses the quicksort algorithm" when it would be more correct to say "X program uses an implementation of the quicksort algorithm" but that's not really what's going on here. The rec system assuredly is a big, distributed system using many different algorithms in some proprietary way.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

ColdPie posted:

That seems like an implementation detail. Whatever method they're using to filter and present content, hereinafter the “hoobaz”, the result is exploitable by people in and out of the company to promote conspiracy theories and other nonsense. We agree on that, I think. What I'm saying is banning the entire concept of hoobaz will result in the platform’s death and likely all UGC at any significant scale. That's bad, imo.

I'd argue the correct solution is antitrust enforcement. These companies are too powerful and have too little competition. Break them up, maybe mandate interoperability standards, and let the market sort it out. If the platform you're on has too many or too few Nazis for your tastes, you can switch to another. Interoperability would let users choose what other sites to pull content from, giving even more options for users and advertisers. It doesn't even require any new laws, just enforcing the ones we already have.
Interoperability is tough, but actually enforcing antitrust would help here a lot. Agreed that it would be ridiculous/impossible to ban or regulate the usage of particular ML techniques themselves. They aren't the problem. The problem is how they are used. It is just another instance of a company doing tremendous damage to society for their profits; nothing more, nothing less.

vvv A better term than "hoobaz" is just "program" or probably more appropriately, "system." Any platform is unusable without such a system, sure, but that does not imply it must recommend nazi videos. That is a human choice, not some inherent thing with the underlying technology.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 4, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

cgeq posted:

Are you sure? Cable TV seems much better than Youtube. I mean, maybe it doesn't prevent the creation, but it should hobble its ability to spread and snowball and thus make it easier to moderate.
What you are suggesting would necessarily destroy the internet, with even worse consequences than the static quo.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Youtube and their algorithm are INSANE. Anne Reardon (very famous debunker of all the bullshit algorithm exploiting 'hack' videos) did a video about how dangerous fractal wood burning is and how it was causing deaths. Youtube's algorithm banned her video warning not to try to extremely dangerous thing but left all the videos describing in detail how to take apart a microwave and use electricity to burn wood.

Here's her talking about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZrynWtBDTE
Well yeah, a lot more people are going to watch the videos that show you how to do this cool thing instead of lame stuff about how it makes you die.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Crossover from CA politics, but yowza:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-10-09/city-council-leaked-audio-nury-martinez-kevin-de-leon-gil-cedillo

Several members of the LA city council & the LA county Federation of Labor president caught saying a whole bunch of insanely racist stuff on a hot mic, including about how this Black child of a White political opponent needs a beating. The council president resigned her presidency but not her seat.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This is both correct and, at the moment, logistically tricky. If the current government isn't legitimate enough to say "please send us UN troops to unfuck the security situation", how on earth is it legitimate enough to steward however many dozens of billions of reparations?

It would really help if we had some semblance of knowledge of Haitian public opinion re intervention.
We don't know Haitian public opinion and many other things. However, we do know how similar interventions have played out in the past: Not Great!

Our priors are that "this is bad." We don't have compelling evidence to suggest otherwise. The "experts" in the foreign policy blob have been consistently wrong about the long-term effects of US intervention - usually in a way that benefits capitalist/MIC interests.

In other words, we should use the precautionary principle when intervening in countries decision-makers don't understand.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Sodomy Hussein posted:

From what I gather, much of Haiti is divided between warring gangs in support of one leader or another, and they intercept any aid that arrives rather than distribute it, thus famine and cholera. Public opinion does not necessarily enter into it.

I don't really see a way around a military intervention unless you're willing to live with the consequences of "do nothing."
Why would you think that us putting the thumb on the scale for our favored strongman would fix this?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Well, we can also just drop food without "security" guarantees of any kind and let the Haitians sort it out. Aside from the humanitarian costs, technically that would hinder Ariel Henry, who has been implicated in Moïse's assassination.

"Do nothing" is a not a neutral choice.
Again though, even in times like after the earthquake, intervention has done more harm that good. Every intervention the US has done in Haiti has been, in part, justified by your reasoning. It always turns out the same way. "Do nothing" is not a neutral choice. It is the less-worse choice, given history. "Doing something" is a worse choice.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Sodomy Hussein posted:

So just so I'm clear, what is your take on what if any actions should be taken by foreign governments? If I am to believe any number of news reports and general sentiment of people ITT better-read on this topic, Haiti is about to become post-apocalyptic without intervention.
It's been post-apocalyptic for a couple centuries now.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Main Paineframe posted:

Can you explain this a little further? It's kind of a bizarre thing to just throw out there with no further elaboration.
Just read their history, starting off with having to pay the French for their own freedom, which took well over 100 years to pay off, or, the treadmill of:

1. A Haitian leader is going against US/French interests.
2. US/French sponsors a coup.
3. The coup succeeds, with the cost of the coup tacked on to Haiti's foreign debt (oppression ain't free)
4. At some point, another leader does something coup-worthy, we rinse-repeat, with the new coup-debt tacked on.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Yawgmoft posted:

Controversial opinion but I would be OK with US rebuilding Japan levels of intervention in my country if there were unstoppable rape squads everywhere.
I’ll risk being probed again to say that given the history of interventions (very much including the Japanese occupation) it is not clear that intervention leads to less rape. Often, the opposite has wound up being true.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_during_the_occupation_of_Japan#Incidents

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 18, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

During the 13-year U.N. mission in Haiti, there were 27 rapes (most of them in 2007 by a Sri Lanken military unit) by U.N. personnel.

There are currently approximately 71 rapes reported per month (and the assumption is that many many of them are not being reported) committed by various criminal gangs.

If you are measuring entirely by rapes, then there is currently a 177,403% increase in rapes by those in charge now compared to the average over the previous U.N. Haiti intervention.

177,403% is generally considered a statistically significant increase by statisticians. Seems like it would be pretty difficult for the United Nations to make it worse unless they started actively assisting the gangs.
It's apples-and-oranges to compare rapes by gangs to rapes by UN personnel: the relevant metric is the expectation of the total number of rapes by gangs *without intervention*, and the total number of rapes by gangs *and* intervention personnel *with* intervention. Same with murder.

Your unstated assumption is that intervention will total decrease rapes - that is something that needs to have positive evidence. Adding soldiers to a situation usually doesn't decrease rape.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Koos Group posted:

It is true that for it truly to be apples to apples we would also need to factor in the overall rates of sexual violence, not just that performed by U.N. personnel.
RE: "overall rates of sexual violence"

I said the relevant metric is the expected number of rapes that would happen with intervention, less the expected amount without. To break it down and check that I understand you correctly:

cat botherer posted:

the total number of rapes by gangs *without intervention*
This is the the "overall rate of sexual violence" we expect to happen without intervention.

cat botherer posted:

the total number of rapes by gangs *and* intervention personnel *with* intervention
This is the "overall rate of sexual violence," that, given evidence and past experience, we expect to happen with intervention.

I am starting from a place where I want the US act in a way that minimizes the expected amount of Haitians that get raped. Haitians can get raped by foreigners or other Haitains. If there is a foreign intervention, there will be some rapes from foreigners, but the greatest effect of the intervention on the amount of rape will be due to how the intervention effects long-term political and economic stability. Given what I know about the history of US/UN intervention in foreign countries, and Haiti in particular, I do not think that our intervention will lead to greater long-term stability. Therefore, I do not believe that intervention will lead to less rapes.

edit:

Staluigi posted:

I hate that I'm used to people using Haiti and the whole of its troubles and lived history as a ball or bait or poo poo like that in conversations which are actually just about disliking America, but still here we go

Based on your expert assessment of Haiti, it's been a "post apocalyptic wasteland" since lafayette or some poo poo, which makes it somewhat impressive that my parents kept a house and ran a restaurant, presumably inbetween dodging mad max wasteland gangs, like it was nothing. How bad is the UN in your eyes that the situation can be literally at the point of post apocalyptic collapse and it is still worse to bring in UN peacekeeping

Anyway, my stated opinion is that UN intervention will most likely reduce rapes even just purely based on the current condition brought about by lawlessness, should it come to that, but I think Leon went into that more politely than I could
I wasn't the one who first described it as a "post-apocalyptic wasteland":

Sodomy Hussein posted:

So just so I'm clear, what is your take on what if any actions should be taken by foreign governments? If I am to believe any number of news reports and general sentiment of people ITT better-read on this topic, Haiti is about to become post-apocalyptic without intervention.
Apparently from your reading, Sodomy Hussein is saying that without intervention, Haiti will turn into a Mad-Max scenario where things such as restaurants are but a memory among the elders. That was not my reading.

I am using it to mean "poor" and "violent," because apparently I wasn't being clear.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 19, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Staluigi posted:

The person you are quoting literally isn't describing it as a post apocalyptic wasteland, he's saying that reports they're hearing make it sound like it's on its way to that condition

That is completely different from what you did which is to respond to them by saying it's been post-apocalyptic for a couple centuries

So

Staluigi posted:

Based on your expert assessment of Haiti, it's been a "post apocalyptic wasteland" since lafayette or some poo poo, which makes it somewhat impressive that my parents kept a house and ran a restaurant, presumably inbetween dodging mad max wasteland gangs, like it was nothing.
You sure seem to be describing a post-apocalypic wasteland. So you think there won't be restaurants in Haiti if we don't intervene?

edit:
To be more clear, Haiti has had horrible violence, civil wars, etc in the past. Whatever is happening now, it has been a lot worse. Previous interventions haven't had a great track record. Justifying intervention by the level of violence alone is nonsense. There is always violence independent of our actions. What matters for decision-making in this case, is not the current violence, but the change in violence we expect due to the action we take in response to the current situation.

The justifications of pro-interventionists ITT are the same used for countless other foreign actions throughout history, the majority with poor outcomes. Why is this different? What sets it apart? I'm asking for positive evidence beyond the admittedly grim current statistics, because those statistics can always get worse.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 19, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Fritz the Horse posted:

errr, this being the US Current Events thread I'd suggest that the conversation re: sex and dating, loneliness etc focus on societal problems and data and not veer much into psychology of dating or :biotruths: because I feel like it's getting slightly weird itt and I dunno that this is the venue for that discussion
The sex stuff is really just a microcosm of alienation that our system produces in people. It's the same reason why rates of anxiety, depression, and alcoholism are going nuts.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The study linked earlier about 1 in 7 men saying they have 0 friends is pretty stark.

"Bowling Alone" is a little outdated with its references and examples, but the general thesis still seems to hold.

If anybody hasn't read it before, this interview with the author is a pretty good summary and discussion.

https://twitter.com/ssoreagan/status/1582808464572968960
Yeah, I'd say its thesis has been strengthened quite a bit.

Capitalism drives a tendency to commodify everything. This alienates people from themselves and others: this drive often degrades social relations as a side-effect of profit generation (people living in car-dependent burbs), but also as a direct effect with things like making friendships feel transactional, like when everyone around a table is venmoing each other for lattes, or dating apps specifically designed to make people frustrated and obsessive.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Koos Group posted:

It may be a good idea to codify it. I haven't done so because it doesn't come up very often and still falls under Rule I. But the idea is that if someone has any kind of specialized knowledge, that is valuable to the forum and we ought to do what we can to keep them interested and welcomed. This does not mean you can't disagree with them, but if you do you should be extra careful with the quality of your arguments.
So where exactly did I fail to address the "specialized knowledge" about their parents owning a house and a restaurant? Sorry, just trying to figure out how these intricate rules get applied, because I'm confused as to why I got probed twice in that conversation for posts that I put a good deal of thought into.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1583487828880596992

I wonder what the possible reasoning for this could be, besides Democrat-brain. it's obviously not responsible (an insane thing to say), and it consistently has let Republicans get concessions by playing chicken with the US's financial credibility.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

evilweasel posted:

it’s because voters don’t like the idea of repealing the debt ceiling and there’s an election in two weeks

I feel like that shouldn’t really need to be explained that two weeks before an election is not the time to take unpopular positions even if they are right given that the lame duck period is right there
I highly, highly doubt any action will be taken during the lame duck period, for the same reason nothing was done until now. I've heard that kind of reasoning many times.

Not doing wise things because the Republicans might get mad is not a winning strategy. Besides, how much worse would it look in the long run to immediately flip-flop on it being "irresponsible?"

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Main Paineframe posted:

No, it implies that when you tell or ask voters about removing the debt ceiling, they don't like it. Whether they knew about the debt ceiling before you asked that question doesn't actually matter.
Not to put works in Judgy Fucker's mouth, but I think the main point is that they want evidence (like polls) of this claim, and aren't primarily interested in semantic debates. This is D&D after all.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Mooseontheloose posted:

Isn't this super unconstitutional?
No, it's just against "norms." Not too different in that sense from Pelosi going to Taiwan without the Biden admin's approval a couple months ago. It's ok, all dying empires have their ruling cliques manipulated by rival outsiders.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Normal people are hurting. GDP growth rates bear little relation to that. Hell, rent increases count towards the GDP.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Mooseontheloose posted:

I get that but unemployment is low and the economy is growing. I agree inflation is a problem but people were declaring recession and doom for the economy and they aren't anywhere to be heard recently.
You are aware how the unemployment (U-3) rate is calculated, right? Also, "the economy is growing" means little in isolation, and that is still going by how the government chooses to calculate the GDP, and the inflation rate. A voter seeing other people get richer, and themselves stay the same, is going to become resentful if anything.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 28, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Automata 10 Pack posted:

the powers that b are happy at the growth, they will prolly moderately cheer about this in the news and that will trick some folk

the growth is good news. the price gouging becomes more evident to folks if the economy is “technically” doing good and we’re seeing raiding prices. that’s why I came into this thread a couple days ago asking about economics
The price gouging is more evident when people are hurting, because the marginal utility of a dollar is higher.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Jaxyon posted:

Very Smart Business Knowers who on twitter who realize that cutting literally half of a company's workforce is a good thing actually.
Eh, I'm not sure you really need thousands of people to run twitter. The moderation and such sure, but that's not what dominates the present headcount as it stands. Needing that many people for a website and lovely phone app is just because of snoballing complexity of the intertwined social and technological bullshit, which begets yet more bullshit.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Jaxyon posted:

My person, there is zero companies that will run well after you cut straight up 50% of the workforce and believing differently is swallowing some Manager propaganda.
Oh yeah, it'll completely fall apart. It's like how a big Rube Goldberg machine stops working when you remove the toaster.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Honestly, the team of people who are enabling him, creating Jew lists for him, arranging the NDAs and settlements, and working with media companies to prevent his rants and abuse from going public are basically putting in an incredible amount of work to get money from a messed up person.

Having bi-polar doesn't make you lose all free will and Kanye is obviously responsible for himself, but it seems like a huge group of people are enabling a really bad lifestyle and abuse of people who work for him just to stay employed.

I'm kind of amazed that they have been able to keep a lid on all this stuff for almost half a decade given how prolific Kanye is with his public statements. The Pentagon Papers didn't even stay secret for that long.
I kinda wonder how many people really have access to him on a daily basis. It might not be all that many, which would make it easier to keep a lid on things.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Circutron posted:

https://twitter.com/themaxburns/status/1588588885378236416

New management's going well.

Also, I second the idea of creating a Twitter-specific thread. With election time coming up, it might be a good way to keep this place a bit less cramped with "Elonk do a post".
For real. I love me some elong, but not this much

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A suspicious amount of emphasis on 'comedy' too, like it's a website dedicated to it.
If a lot of people leave twitter because they don't want comedy, it could be really good for this subforum.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I went to elementary school with Desantis and have this stupid dirt on him. It's the elementary school poetry he wrote for our school literary magazine. Hope this sinks him in 2024.

Edit: this is the worst snipe.
Not to defend him, but we had this big month-long poetry unit in 7th grade where they made us write limericks and haikus and poo poo. It sucked and so did my poetry. At least I didn't do it voluntarily though.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Please for the love of god Trump should run. Please please. Continue the disaster hurricane.
That worked out great in 2016.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I'm definitely liking this blue check system. Thank you Elong.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

GreyjoyBastard posted:

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

if you've ever talked to a stupid, ignorant, and/or evil econ major, but actual competent economics studiers tend towards social democracy at the very least, because that's what reality tells us
I was an econ (and less uselessly, math) major, and I was and am stupid, ignorant, and evil, just like all the other students and faculty.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

FlamingLiberal posted:

If they insist on keeping the filibuster then no, they don’t have the 60 votes to pass abortion rights
If they get further up in the 50s, I have a sneaking suspicion they'd suddenly start believing in the sacredness of the filibuster again, just like what derailed everything when Ted Kennedy died.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Gumball Gumption posted:

Allowing local government services to be replaced by online portals because the local government doesn't want to service gay people seems like bad policy on its face. I don't see any benefit to allowing red states the ability to discriminate even if the discrimination amounts to being pointed to an online portal.

Edit: Like I keep thinking what if it was about mixed race marriages and I think people would be a lot quicker to not see an online portal as a valid compromise.
I don't understand defenses of this that getting gay married would still be easy enough because you just have to drive 30 miles or whatever. That's really not the issue here. The issue is that it is legal discrimination. That should ring plenty of alarm bells.

PeterWeller posted:

Are you really suggesting that getting your marriage license from an online portal instead of going down to the county clerk's office is equivalent to segregation?

e:

You can still have whatever ceremony you please. All that stuff, even the churchiest of church stuff, is just ceremony. The marriage license is what counts as far as laws are concerned. You had gay folks holding big old wedding ceremonies and receptions long before gay marriage was legal in this country.
As a gay person myself, you can gently caress right off with this.

e: vvv No hard feelings

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

nine-gear crow posted:

Donald Trump 20-Until-Either-You-Or-He-Dies
It's

and we're just living in it.