Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Boch was a players' manager, well-liked by most of the guys who played for him. He protects his players, and if he has to bench a guy or something, he does it privately, not in the media. He sometimes plays struggling veterans over kids with more potential, like when Brandon Belt couldn't get in the lineup his first couple years.

The Giants were an old-school org when Bochy managed them. One of the last teams to buy into the moneyball stuff. It will be interesting to see if the game has passed him by. He liked stable bullpen roles (Affeldt in the 7th, Romo in the 8th, Casilla in the 9th, or w/e) and making out the same lineup card every day. It's a little hard to see him using an opener, or piggybacking SPs, or doing the midgame platoon switch stuff, and I'm not sure he knows what Statcast or spin rate is.

Also, he has a large head. Seriously, you would not believe the melon on this guy.

The one thing to note about Bochy is that he absolutely, resolutely hates "unwritten rules" bullshit, and he will not hesitate to bench pitchers for retaliation throws or hitters who start jawing off.

In other news, Skip Schumaker is the Marlins' new manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Sorry for the double post but :lol::lol::lol: The Cubs have fired yet another hitting coach:

https://twitter.com/PJ_Mooney/status/1586055822995439616

idk what the gently caress they're looking for at this point but honestly I feel like the lack of consistency has to be hurting just as much if not more than any individual coach's performance.

God, just pay Bill Mueller whatever he wants to come back. I know he left under acrimonious circumstances (the Cubs fired one of his assistants, so he quit), but just give him a blank check.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Goddamn that movie fuckin sucks.

Major League 2? Yeah, it does indeed suck. And somehow Back to the Minors is even worse.

But, remember: The list of actually good comedy sequels is very short.

Timby fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 14, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

STAC Goat posted:

Even assuming he can afford it it still seems like addictive/destructive behavior. Once you’re making an insane number of prop bets or gambling on any sport on I worry it’s a problem. Like any vice it’s probably fine in moderation and gets progressively more concerning as it gets worse.

It's very much a classic sign of addictive behavior. You don't need to be ruining your life in order to have a gambling addiction.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crazy Ted posted:

I wonder if this ends his career in Asia too, because Japan and Korea have a long history of organized crime slithering its way into baseball and having someone who's that drat stupid when it comes to illicit gambling has to be risky to have around.

The Yakuza used to--and might possibly still--have a heavy influence on the video game industry in Japan, particularly with counterfeiting, so it's not like organized crime is compartmentalized to just sports.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Red posted:

There was a sliding catch in that marathon game against Houston that blew my mind.

Doesn't matter, award voting ends before the postseason.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Red posted:

This is dumb, because a few extra rooms rented from a Holiday Inn don't actually do anything for working people.

Having worked for a destination marketing organization in the past, this is inaccurate. Tourists are temporary taxpayers; not only do they sleep in a destination's hotels, but they eat at the restaurants, they drink at the bars, they buy poo poo at stores, and are basically the difference-maker between profit and loss for low-margin businesses like food & beverage and retail every year. Tourists are a vital cog in cities' economies. Even loving Paducah, Kentucky, experiences a huge economic boost every year because of ... wait for it ... a goddamn quilting festival.

Don't get me wrong, taxpayer-funded stadiums are bullshit, have always been bullshit and will always be bullshit, but the direct spending impact of tourism is very real.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fast cars loose anus posted:

By the way it will forever baffle me that MLB was not only one of the first entities to get streaming right, they did it so well that it WWE, HBONow, WatchESPN, the PGA Tour and Disney ended up either paying to use it or just buying it outright (in Disney's case)

Bud Selig was actually pretty progressive and forward-thinking when it came to new media. Selig correctly saw that the Internet wasn't going to go away, so he formed MLB Advanced Media all the way back in 2000 (somehow getting all 30 owners on board), and that was the first such company in any of the major sports leagues. MLBAM was also the first sports entity to attempt streaming games, before the technology was ever really there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nodoze posted:

Mlb.tv is great and even though everyone bitches about blackouts there is unfortunately not much they can do it about it now I think. I'm sure lifting them and dealing with all the individual RSNs contracts and such would be a significant headache and also probably require payouts or re-working of contracts and that isn't something I can see happening

RSNs, cable / satellite operators and the teams themselves are why the blackouts exist, yeah.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

MLB tried to buy all the rights the other year but Sinclair beat their price by like, a relative pittance and apparently Manfred couldn't get the owners in line to up their offer.

Getting 30 owners to agree on where to order catering from for a league meeting is like trying to fight a rhinoceros with a fly swatter and a box of Kleenex; something them to agree on something that involves that amount of money is a Sisyphean task.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Astros games are blacked out not only in the entire state of Texas, but every state which borders Texas. I pay some ungodly amount to Fubo each month to get access to att sports southwest

In Dubuque, Iowa, I'm blacked out from Cubs, Brewers, White Sox, Cardinals, Twins and Royals games.

Yet when I lived in Madison, Wisconsin, 85 miles north of Dubuque, my only blackout was Brewers games.

Figure that poo poo out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Some parts aged better than others but poo poo like this still makes me laugh out loud every time

Ozzie Guillen's "holy poo poo its a demon" has stuck with me ever since the first time I read it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Well, remember the members of the committee: Chipper Jones, Greg Maddux, Jack Morris, Ryne Sandberg, Lee Smith, Frank Thomas, Alan Trammell, Paul Beeston, Theo Epstein, Arte Moreno, Kim Ng, Dave St. Peter, Ken Williams, Steve Hirdt, LaVelle Neal and Susan Slusser.

Trammell, Thomas, Sandberg, Morris and Maddux were all going to be automatic no votes for Steroid Era guys, which guaranteed that Bonds and Clemens didn't have a chance in hell of crossing the 75 percent threshold.

I think the next time the Contemporary Era committee reconvenes is in 2025.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GalacticAcid posted:

Kind of sad that they’d both be in easily if they had respected the integrity of the game.

Hello there, Mr. Sandberg.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

maffew buildings posted:

become an MVP candidate again (losing to Christopher Morel)

What on Earth is with the fascination with Morel? Dude's really fast, sure, but he struck out a zillion times last year and is borderline allergic to walks. Pretty rough glove, too; he projects to maybe be a utility outfielder at best.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

Look at this post. Just look at it.

I grew up watching Jose Hernandez strike out 200 times a year and looking like a fool against scrubs like Cal Eldred and Ron Villone. I have scars. :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Our pitching is actually okay right now, which is kinda weird to say after all these years but the Cubs are genuinely righting the ship on this front. Yeah it would be nice to have a bonafide ace but Stroman/Steele/Taillon/Hendricks/Wesneski (assuming Hendricks is healthy) is pretty solid, particularly if Wesneski and Steele can pick up where they left off. And for once the depth is solid too, with Thompson, Alzolay, Sampson, and Assad all capable of stepping in as 4/5 types, and Kilian/Wicks/Brown in the upper minors all essentially ready or almost ready to to pitch in the bigs. I also fully expect the Cubs to also grab a depth starter or two they can have on the cheap for a year or two like Kluber or Smyly.

I feel like counting on Hendricks to even be a reliable fourth starter is a huge stretch. He looked awful this past season and he struggled badly in 2021, too. He didn't get surgery for the capsular tear in his shoulder--and that's a degenerative condition--and he only started throwing a week ago. He's got a tough road ahead of him. Even if he could start hitting like 88 on his fastball and sinker, it won't matter much if his changeup and curveball remain totally fuckin' flat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

Is there even any smoke to this or is it just a bunch of people on Twitter punching names into that Trade Value site?

Yelich's never been the same ever since he hosed up his back (his swing got huge) and I can't tell if the Brewers are actually burning it down or just trying to feign competitiveness until the bottom really falls out from the team. I'm sure they'd love to be out of that contract, though--he's got six more years on it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm so glad the Cubs have yet another free-swinging shortstop who hates getting on base and can't help himself from swinging at pitches that are in Schaumburg. I've been watching that poo poo ever since I was a kid and Shawon Dunston was getting on base at a .296 clip for his entire career (even though Dunston was fun to watch most of the time).

I'm even happier they're going to pay him $177 million with a full no-trade instead of paying $88 million to Willson Contreras, who by all accounts never wanted to leave but ultimately got pissed-off that the team refused to even tender him an offer because they were more concerned with getting a lottery ticket draft pick.

loving Rickettses. loving Cubs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

deGrom/Grey/Perez/Eovaldi is at least interesting, if not solid through and through.

Heaney, Odo, Dunning are all big weaknesses though. They’re missing certainty after deGrom for me.

Don't forget that deGrom is going to be 35 this season and is developing a troublesome injury history, he's far from a sure thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ihatepants posted:

Not sure who this is or his sources but he is followed by some baseball writers I have heard of. Angels and Nationals?

https://twitter.com/injuryexpert/status/1609255765511897090?s=46&t=6BESl_nza9cbjXNzXPX1vA

Will Carroll has tracked MLB injuries for like two decades, he's plugged-in. Nationals are almost for sure because it's known that they've been up for sale for over a year. The other team is probably the Angels, because Arte Moreno has been fielding offers for almost two years. Dark horse could be the A's or possibly even the Red Sox, since John Henry's been considering getting out of the MLB game for five years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lumpy posted:

If the Dodgers are on the hook for his salary, the reason notto do "the probably most moral" thing which is not release him but never let him play is because he'd take up a spot on the roster?

The MLBPA--assuming they have competent counsel, which is quite a bridge to assume--would file a grievance within six seconds, and they'd win, based on Bauer being benched while taking up a roster seat would be an impediment to his future potential earnings.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

if it results in fewer errors, I don't care

Having a specific individual at which to direct our impotent ire does nothing for me. I'd rather 0.5% of calls be wrong and it be the fault of faceless MLB operatives than 8% be wrong and it be the fault of individual umpires who's names and faces I can recognize.

Yeah, I don't understand people who think that humans loving up balls and strikes is a Good and Necessary part of the game.

I also think that banning the shift is a tremendous overreaction to people like Joe Maddon digging up old books from 70 years ago and implementing shifts that hitters handled just fine in the '50s and '60s. Much like the pitch clock, it's a solution desperately in search of a problem (and I'll continue to insist that the pitch clock would be completely unnecessary if the umpires were ordered to enforce the rule that batters must keep one bat in the box at all times; you do that and you shave 40 minutes off of game time because you don't have guys checking their helmet, tapping dirt from their cleats, re-fastening their gloves and scratching their nuts after every pitch).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Remember it's still 1 pm in California

It's almost 4 p.m. in California.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

elentar posted:

wait was Neagle just moral-claused for the solicitation bust, or was it that plus the DWI, or what?

seems almost quaint in comparison

The Rockies were itching to get out of his contract after his disaster of a 2003 season, and then the solicitation bust gave them the grounds to do it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Paracaidas posted:

I'd rank it Vegas, Nashville, Portland in likelihood but only because they're being cowards about Mexico :colbert:

I imagine MLB is still a little nervous about Vegas just because of the sport's history of gambling scandals, but to their credit they let the NFL and NHL float test balloons without incident thus far.

Portland isn't going to happen, the Mariners have those territorial rights and they would raise holy hell.

Nashville is an odd outlier and not a city I'd seen come up in conversation before last year. The Braves have the rights to that area at the moment, but I could see the Rays potentially relocating there.

Sydin posted:

I mean I could be way off but it really feels like the Dodgers were operating under the assumption that the Bauer suspension was going to be upheld, and they'd be able to reset the tax once his money was off the books. This would also explain their weird handling of the whole "will he won't he" dance with Bauer basically down to the wire.

Yeah, the Dodgers were absolutely expecting an early Christmas gift of the suspension being upheld, just as the Yankees were a while ago when Bud Selig was waging his war on Alex Rodriguez.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

e: lol Josh Donaldson in '16

In fairness, Donaldson's 2015 and 2016 seasons were otherworldly.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

euphronius posted:

What would happen if we let the players self organize into 30 teams of equal numbers of players.

Do you think everyone would just go close to their home.

They'd all flock to one of the states with no state income tax, like Florida or Texas or Nevada or Washington.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Some Numbers posted:

There's no way they'd flock to Seattle, we're way to remote and much too blue for most of baseball.

Well, the only other states without income tax are Alaska, Wyoming, Tennessee and South Dakota, so...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

lobster shirt posted:

i strongly suspect that collectively pro baseball players are the dumbest group of athletes

I can't imagine they come close to professional wrestlers / boxers / MMA fighters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Yes, the arbriter has to pick one of the two numbers and can't force a compromise

I guess it's possible the reason they're playing hardball is to try to push Javier toward a multi year deal but I hate going about it this way

It's also worth remembering that arbitration hearings are infamous for poisoning a player's relationship with a team, as the team's job is to basically say to the arbitrator, "No, this guy is not worth the money he wants, and here's a 90-slide PowerPoint deck explaining why."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Talking about Yelich. Bellinger seems to be a swing issue that is probably due to injuries.

Yelich's never been the same after getting hurt, too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

No idea. There have been multiple rumors but nothing solid.

The standing rumor is that he quit because Sherman wouldn't let him spend money.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tadashi posted:

I'm all for having all the elite players of their era in the Hall but I think it's crazy not to also vote in players who were not quite the most elite players but were also significant to the narrative of baseball during their career.
The writers elected Big Papi and they will elect Yadi. Jack Morris and Kirby Puckett are in the HoF. It makes sense for guys like Dale Murphy, Don Mattingly, Frank White, and so forth to be in the HoF, in my opinion.

One of the bigger exclusions here is Dick Allen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1619759542728024064?t=cw2U0Jw35IpJxySrkYKUIQ&s=19

The Yankees won't take anybody to an arb hearing this year, which seems like something they're making a concerted effort on since the Betances debacle. It really seems like another penny wise pound foolish thing that teams will absolutely torch a relationship over a rounding error's worth of paycheck.

Yeah, I've said it before, but it's in everyone's best interests to avoid arbitration hearings. The player and his agent make their case, and then the team comes in and says, "Well, actually, here's a 41-slide PowerPoint deck of why this guy sucks poo poo and doesn't deserve the extra $300,000 that he's asking for."

It's not terribly conducive to healthy player-team relationships.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What is it with MLB owners whining about payroll? While I'm sure NFL and NBA teams would like to pay players less, you don't hear them complaining that often

MLB doesn't have an official salary cap, only a de facto one with the luxury tax (which Steve Cohen has shown is no problem to any team that has the money, which is probably 75 percent of them). So owners tend to whine a little bit more.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

YTTV gave up on getting Marquee Network and as far as I know has never tried again

YouTube TV and Dish Network stopped trying to play ball with Sinclair a long time ago, because Sinclair is intransigent on its per-subscriber fee.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I have no earthly idea why The Athletic / NYT continues to give Jim Bowden money. He is a moron.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Is there an inkling of expansion to Charlotte and Nashville or are those throwins to make it work geographically

There's no straight shot to Charlotte; the Charlotte Knights have a AAAA-level stadium, relatively recently built, and the White Sox would throw a loving fit if MLB expanded there (since Charlotte's their wholly owned AAA affiliate).

And Jerry Reinsdorf hates Rob Manfred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crazy Ted posted:

64 million with a signing bonus of two seems odd to me.

He gets the signing bonus immediately; could be he wanted to help his family out or something?