Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

fast cars loose anus posted:

"I always go back to my favorite movie in life, man, Glengarry Glen Ross" lmao

Tell me you’re a Silicon Valley crypto bro without telling me that you’re a Silicon Valley crypto bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://twitter.com/danclarksports/status/1609270874586349573?s=46&t=tvUjHaCXU72S7mpuuICemw

https://twitter.com/danclarksports/status/1608263243910500352?s=46&t=tvUjHaCXU72S7mpuuICemw

Seems like a really great guy. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he cherry-picked who he interviewed instead of trying to take an actual good faith poll of the clubhouse.

Criminals should get away with their crimes and the rest of society should just get over it, got it. What a clown.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

euphronius posted:

I haven’t paid attention to hockey in 20 years but didn’t they eventually ban the neutral zone trap ?

That was horrible

They didn’t make the trap itself illegal, they changed some rules to make it less effective. They eliminated the two line pass rule and added the goalie trapezoid behind the net to make it easier for teams to get through a neutral zone trap, but the trap itself is still legal.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I’ve never been a fan of the shift, it’s always felt against the spirit of the game to me (if that even means anything). Seeing a 3B catch a pop up down the right field line is bizarre to me, but I’m not sure if banning it really matters.

What really needs to happen is for the science of hitting to catch up to the science of pitching, the gap between those two areas has gotten too big over the last decade. Or find a way to nerf pitching in general, add rules to 100 mph pitches that limit you to two per inning like my beer league softball team does with home runs.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

bawfuls posted:

by shrinking the strike zone and moving the mound back

Good luck getting these dumbass umps to recognize a smaller strike zone

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Pungry posted:

They did it just as recently as the early 2000s when the broadcasts started putting in strike zone overheads. Like, say what you will about how bad umpires are, but they've shown actual ability to adapt to technology to call games better. I personally think that doing something like instituting robot umpires goes way further against the spirit of the game than the shift but I'm aware I'm losing that battle. If MLB wanted to change the strike zone, umpires would adapt fine.

This video does a good job recapping how umpires got better at calling the "true strike zone" as tech got better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nX_ZphDNQM&t=513s

I’m not a huge fan of the robo umpire idea, I do think having a human element is a net positive. But obviously a bad call can ruin an entire game, so it is difficult to argue against installing a system that will objectively get calls correct every time. But I’d be lying if I said I won’t miss scenes like Schwarber losing his mind on Angel Hernandez after a full game’s worth of terrible calls.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

The real future of robo umps is one of those weird rear end Youtube/Twitch anime characters superimposed behind the plate and that's truly why I oppose it with every fiber of my being.

I’d watch more games if the ump was Patrick from SpongeBob roasting players as he rings them up. After seeing Patrick make fun of Russell Wilson for throwing an interception I’m all for that in baseball.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

zoux posted:

Pena over Rodriguez, if only because way more people know who Pena. But it'll be neither. Put Shohei on it as a pitcher this year.

Assuming Peña is way better known than Julio is a stretch, Julio’s coming out party at the Home Run Derby was pretty insane and he won Rookie of the Year. I’d say Julio has a better shot if only because he doesn’t share a team with Alvarez.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Nodoze posted:

Challenging a spot call in tennis is basically instant and they show it on the jumbotron/big screen

Yeah this seems like a non issue to me. Aren’t teams only going to get a limited number of challenges per game, like 3 total? It’s not like every pitch would be reviewed.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

zoux posted:

In the linked video, I can't tell who is initiating the challenge?

It’s the pitcher, he taps his head a few times with his pitching hand.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1614045928318504960

Jim "Make it Rain" Crane

Also good for Framber, he earned every penny

Framber could easily be a CY Young front runner this year, that’s still a crazy value for Houston. Even if that jump is unprecedented.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Lol they must be trying to save everything they can to throw at Ohtani next winter

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

camoseven posted:

Bonkers lineup, they've gotta be the favorites

Is Nelson Cruz on the roster? I thought he was the manager, it would be awesome if he is doing the player/manager role.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

zoux posted:

Mantle made the HoF without a freakin' ACL, ya gotta rub some dirt on it

lmao the Marlins. Surprised the Os are that high but I guess they wanna get on the band wagon before it's a band wagon

This chart implies that the Marlins have the best fanbase in baseball

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

Bobby Abreu to me is like the quintessential edge case guy. Was really good for a decently long time, never MVP or even really top-10 level guy, fell short of most of the relevant milestones, but accumulated enough good seasons for things like WAR to make it look like he might belong.

Players like Abreu make me wonder, should voters be using modified stats for guys that played in the steroid era? Of course he didn’t have the stats of guys like Bonds, but if we’re not going to vote Bonds because he juiced then why are we using his stats and accolades to determine how valuable Abreu was?

Presumably Abreu’s WAR and OPS+ would improve a bit if you remove all the extreme outliers from his era that were on steroids. Maybe not a lot but maybe enough to bring him beyond fringe territory.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Popete posted:

Thing is, everyone was doing roids.

True, but guys who are already off the ballot for steroids shouldn’t be used as a reference point that holds back guys on the ballot now. “Bobby Abreu was never a top 10 player” doesn’t mean anything if half the guys ahead of them were disqualified from the Hall for cheating.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

euphronius posted:

If the end result is Barry bonds on not in the hall the method is wrong and needs to be changed. It’s that simple.

The other two major sports seems
to not gently caress this up.

100% agree, I don’t think steroid use should disqualify someone from the HoF. At least not players that were doing it before they started testing for it.

And even then it’s not cut and dry, I don’t think we need to be going after guys that used HGH to rehab injuries. Bonds being excluded from the Hall is insane, he’s arguably the best player of all time.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

He allegedly threw used chewing tobacco at a kid? MLB really needs a zero tolerance policy for these scumbags.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I like Scott Rolen a lot and I’m happy he made it, but he being the only person elected this year with some of the other names on the ballot is very weird. He’s definitely not the best player on this year’s ballot, not even close.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I mean we’ve basically established that the vote isn’t really about “the best guys on the ballot”. It’s either “first ballot” guys or guys who have to “earn” their way in by years of gradually growing support. It’s dumb but it’s what it is. It’s all silly message votes.

Let’s improve the pace of play for the HoF process and give the writers votes for each player. None of this strategic voting junk, you vote yes or no for everyone on the ballot and save everyone some time.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

tadashi posted:

I'm all for having all the elite players of their era in the Hall but I think it's crazy not to also vote in players who were not quite the most elite players but were also significant to the narrative of baseball during their career.
The writers elected Big Papi and they will elect Yadi. Jack Morris and Kirby Puckett are in the HoF. It makes sense for guys like Dale Murphy, Don Mattingly, Frank White, and so forth to be in the HoF, in my opinion.

This is why I’m against the idea of a “small” hall, there are too many exceptional players in baseball history. It’s the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Only the Absolute Best Players. Popular players from each era should be able to get in, even if they’re not statistically as impressive as other players already in.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

zoux posted:

Dude if your theory has you saying things like "Ichiro was a borderline guy"

Speaking of questionable cases now, does Ozzie Smith even sniff a 26 man roster in 2023

If IKF is getting a roster spot then yeah I think Ozzie would too

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

How many people has Ted Williams killed and why is he not subject to character clauses? Just because he was at war he’s allowed to get away with it?

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

mdemone posted:

get this the hell outta here. I'm not even gonna read that garbage

That’s not a knock on Ichiro, it’s just validation that Abreu was hella underrated. They both belong in the Hall.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

Once again the Astros are proving themselves to be the model franchise for all others to emulate. The team also honored MLB's moral compass last night.

https://twitter.com/astros/status/1618019578294206464

He never snitched on the cheaters so they’re right, good teammate

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Putting Mauer in the hall should be such an easy lay up that the BBWAA is guaranteed to screw it up. If you’re looking strictly at WAR he’s kind of borderline, but ignoring the context of his injuries and position change is a crime. An actual crime that you should go to jail for.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Imagine thinking any catcher is for sure first ballot when Piazza took four years and Ivan Rodriguez only barely got in first ballot.

Mauer 1 MVP, 2Top5 6AS 3GG, 921G at catcher 913 at 1B/DH
Joe Torre 1 MVP 2 Top5 9AS 1GG 903G at catcher 1302 at 1B/3B Not a hall of famer as a player.

Posey 1MVP 1ROY 6AS 1GG 1093G at catcher 260 at 1B/DH

Sure voters today may consider context and narrative and judge things differently, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The BBWAA being wrong in the past isn’t an excuse for them to be wrong in the future.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Sydin posted:

We must break the cycle of BBWAA violence. As a first act of healing, every voter must be forced at swordpoint to check the box for Dave Stieb, entering him as the second unanimous HoF candidate.

:bisonyes:

I am 100% on board with this plan.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Designing Safeco with deeper fences than the Kingdome and pissing Griffey off is easily the biggest mistake Seattle ever made.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Just don’t be a shortstop if you want to be the cover athlete, easy

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I’m going to boycott every company that appears on MLB jerseys this season. That’ll show them.

I don’t even know if a company like Avnet could be boycotted, the stuff they make must be everywhere.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I went to high school with Correa’s ankle, can confirm it was a huge rear end in a top hat.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I started watching some of the Caribbean Series on ESPN+ and the number of ads on these jerseys is hilarious. The Dominican team jersey is legitimately a billboard, I really hope MLB doesn’t turn into this with sponsored jerseys. One sponsor on the sleeve feels like the first step on a long road to the bottom.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Sydin posted:

Daily reminder that ignore is for cowards.

Honestly all the talk about whether Cora is a mustache-twirling idiot who brags about how he helped steal a WS to his buddies over drinks is irrelevant: we know he helped the Astros cheat and that Cora was one of the principle ringleaders in setting up the cheating system. None of that is in dispute.

It does further validate my decision to dislike the Red Sox for re-hiring him, though

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I also think about jamming needles into skin when I hear about Fernando Tatis Jr

:vince:

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

That baby’s going to have some hosed up ankles

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

That looks like a bullseye, pitchers are going to subconsciously aim for that thing with right handed batters.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

He didn't and it's pretty well documented by this point - he has been the face of sign stealing for all of MLB which clear by now extended beyond the Astros, bore the brunt of the fan backlash, never said a negative word about it or about anyone while never participating n the can banging.

Altuve is an actual saint.

He’s such a good guy that knew his teammates were cheating and did nothing to stop it

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

alpha_destroy posted:

Yesterday morning my 3yr old was kicking a balloon around and someone said he should play soccer and he said "no, I wanna play baseball." And then like a half hour before bed he said he wanted to watch baseball. So that's cool.

Your kid owns, you’re doing a good job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Framber is worth more than $150 million, Houston should pay him more