Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Stro no :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tony Phillips posted:

It would be Clemens if he ever hit a home run, but it's actually Randy Johnson.

(It's absolutely Bartolo if you're ranking (bWAR/HR)*howawsomeitwas)

TIL both Tom Seaver and Greg Maddux hit 5 HR somehow :psypop:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

gently caress don't make me like anything about the Braves

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/kasamangcerena/status/1589702799511924736

If there's one thing all baseball fans can agree on: Ted Cruz sucks

sadly not all baseball fans actually agree on this

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Traxis posted:

Pretty good thread from Puig here:

https://twitter.com/YasielPuig/status/1587945632890691584

Looks like he has finally received help for his mental health issues, and is thriving in Korea.

Good for him!

Hopefully the fix was "allow him to feast on bats as he sees fit, dental expenditures be damned"

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1589779356859002880

I feel a little bad for Yordan here because he shouldn't even get a second place vote much less a first but hey I guess it's cool to be one of the top three

Yeah he is definitely the third best, but it's just such a wide gulf, like put him about 20 feet back in that picture.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Too much Astros hype and not enough talk about the Mariners!!!

Remember when they got swept by the Astros? :pwn:

jk I think the Mariners are cool and would clobber the division if not for the Astros

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

interrupting actual MLB chat to say that thanks to Ryne Stanek catching and chugging a beer from a fan at the Astros parade, the guy who clocked Ted Cruz is now trying to use the defense "I was just throwing him a Claw" :haw:

https://abc13.com/ted-cruz-joseph-arcidiacono-white-claw-stradley-law-firm/12435960/

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Shiroc posted:

Is the 'utility' winner for the Silver Slugger a new thing this year or did I miss it being introduced before now?

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1590855078025789442
Ohtani was up for it in utility and didn't get it over Arraez, which is a joke :lol:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

camoseven posted:

I need more baseball. Doesn't Australia play it now? How do I watch that??

Here's a cool baseball video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edijv3DZfNs

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The best part about mcmagic's particular brain rot is that the ideal roster he is describing is just the Astros roster, replete with Proven Playoff Winners.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mcmagic posted:

This is bullshit. The Yankees group from 98-2002 was great in the playoffs. The Astros have owned the Yankees in the playoffs. Those aren’t coincidences. Certain people respond better to pressure filled situations than others.

If your bar is "the 98-02 Yankees" then you are going to be sorely disappointed probably for the rest of your life.

I was going to keep my nerd poo poo to myself because it's all very unscientific, but out of genuine curiosity to how the Astros current run fits in with "dynasty" level runs for MLB teams in the World Series era, I started creating some models. In doing so, I was reminded how insane the Yankees were between about 1996 to 2004. Obviously the Yankees from the late 1920s through the mid 1960s are the biggest dynasty the sport will likely ever have (19 WS titles in 36 seasons, averaging well over 60% win rate in the regular season, etc.), but aside from that era the late 90s Yankees are the strongest dynasty by a longshot. In fact, the ten-year run of 1996-2005 is right up there with a lot of the first-half of the century Yankee runs. If you narrow it down to a 6-year window, they are on par with a lot of the 6-year windows of the first-half century Yankees.

After that, depending on which window you choose (6, 8, 10 years are what I did) it's a significant drop to the Cardinals of the 1940s (the era of Stan the Man), the Reds of the 1970s (the "Big Red Machine"), the Philly Athletics in the 19aughts to the 1910s (the era of Connie Mack and the "$100,00 infield") , the Oakland A's of the late 60s and early 70s (the "Swingin' A's" and "The Mustache Gang"), or yes even the current Astros. Just to put some of my BS numbers to it, the 90s Yankees grade out anywhere from 25 to 50% stronger than the 1940s Cardinals, which was consistently the strongest non-Yankee dynasty for each of those windows.

We are unlikely to see a team put together a run like the late 90s-early aughts Yankees again in our lifetime, especially now that free agency exists and there are 30 teams.

e: for my fellow Astros fans, no matter how I tweak the scoring/coefficients, this current Astros run is at least a top-10 dynasty :unsmith:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I'm starting to think Jim Crane might be -- like all owners -- bad!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

wait the Yankees were cheating? weird, that's never happened before

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Not seeing Trout in the top 4 or 5 is kinda weird. Not incorrect or unexpected because he only played in 119 games, but he did mash 40 HR and had a 178 OPS+.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

Ugh NO MORE POWDER BLUE ALT, just the chargers and phillies (though the phils need to lighten them up a couple shades imo)

Should make some Luv Ya Blue alts for the Astros. Bud Adams is dead as gently caress so why not?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Good Dog posted:

Goons shouted 'gently caress the angels' throughout all of the 00s because they won a shitload of games and now they shout 'gently caress the angels' because they lose a shitload of games.

It doesn't have to make sense or make you feel bad

This

And I don't hate anyone in here, you're all cool in my book. I roll my eyes more at some than others but overall this is a pretty chill place to talk sports ball.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Manny, A-Rod, Pettitte, Rolen, Sheffield, Wagner, Jones, Helton

This but also Beltran, who is unlikely to make it of course given his role in the 2017 cheating scandal, but clearly that didn't make his career any different because he was not even that good that year.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Buerhle threw a perfecto

Dallas Braden for the Hall

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Legal licensed hunting with appropriate tags is fine. Using gigantic scoped sniper rifles and then posing with it is silly as hell though. Congratulations, you hit a shot on a likely stationary and completely unaware target with a literal point-and-shoot weapon.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

To my surprise there have been more immaculate innings than 4 K (half-)innings.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I think 3/100 is probably about what the clubs who want to spend would be willing to stretch to, but I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some creative deal with incentives/options that JV could hit like 3/140+ with. And I think he might take something like that because he definitely seems like the "bet on myself" guy and he thinks he's got his health/training in a spot where he can pitch at this level for a few more years for sure.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

Jason Castro retired today. He is, amazingly, the Astros franchise leader in HRs as a catcher.

He just barely beats out Alan Ashby who had 69 (nice) while playing in the cavernous Astrodome, but what the hell Castro had 71 HR as an Astro and almost 100 for his career?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

has there ever been a SS class this strong before?

2004 had Nomar, Edgar Renteria, and a 38yo Omar Vizquel :haw:

That's about the best I can remember, so ... no this is probably the strongest

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

only 10 players? done

Dexter Fowler
Kyle Schwarber
Kris Bryant
Anthony Rizzo
Ben Zobrist
Addison Russell
Willson Contreras
Jason Heyward
Javier Baez
Kyle Hendricks
Jon Lester

I guess after losing count of how many years it had been since your last title/WS appearance before 2016 happened I can understand how you'd just lose the ability to count entirely

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Even as someone who just did this with "team dynasties", comparing baseball players/seasons across eras is essentially impossible and/or pointless.

doing it at a team level is far more possible though, doing it at an individual level is just isnane

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Good Dog posted:

Where would the Padres have even played Turner? With Manny at 3rd and whatever is going on with Tatis' suspension/injury at Short, with Kim having a fantastic year there in his place, and Croenworth having an all star season at 2B there doesn't really seem to be room for him.

Why not just DH Tatis ... for however many games he'll be eligible for

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

All-MLB first team unveiled

quote:

First Team starting pitchers

Sandy Alcantara, Marlins
Shohei Ohtani, Angels
Justin Verlander, Astros
Framber Valdez, Astros
Alek Manoah, Blue Jays

First Team infield

C: J.T. Realmuto, Phillies
1B: Paul Goldschmidt, Cardinals
2B: Jose Altuve, Astros
SS: Trea Turner, Dodgers
3B: Manny Machado, Padres

First Team DH

Yordan Alvarez, Astros

First Team outfield

Aaron Judge, Yankees
Mookie Betts, Dodgers
Mike Trout, Angels
Seems pretty reasonable.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'm sorry to my 'strosposting friends, but banging on cans will never stop being funny to me. i have never cared at all about the cheating, that's whatever, but please let me make cans jokes

You can

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

Because robots use old peoples' medicine for food.

I would accept Old Glory Robot Insurance ads on the players' uniforms, but only them

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Red posted:

Turner's wife is from Jersey, that's like 90% of it.

https://twitter.com/TerryFranconia/status/1600136873610878976

... the gently caress?

Could be a money league where you pay out weekly for wins/losses though that tweet implies that it was a pure fee, not part of a pool of winnings/losses.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

He makes part of the capital class mad by taking capital from them and keeping some while giving a little less to someone else.

He's peak capital class.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

True or not, that's loving funny.

e: the Ben Verlander tweet

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mcmagic posted:

They can improve in other ways that don't involve me having to root for a cheating piece of poo poo that i would prefer.

At least he's not "a loser who has never won poo poo" like the rest of them right?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I know you're just trolling but there is another SS who is a great player available in Boegarts who the Yankees could sign if they were in the SS market (they aren't and probably shouldn't be)

Bogaerts of the squeaky clean 2018 Red Sox

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mcmagic posted:

There literally should be probes handed out in this thread for astro cheating denialism and attempts at equivocation.

I'm not denying it, just pointing out the hypocrisy of decrying some cheaters but not others

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Aledmys is not worth that IMO.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

What's it like to have a catcher that is capable of producing offensively, anyway? Asking for a friend the entire history of the Astros franchise.

I mean, 100 games of Evan Gattis catching as a side-gig is about the best we've seen.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Not to mention you can literally edit tweets now, when this is your job you should go ahead and pay for that function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JustinVerlander/status/1600646904882552832

ok it hurts a little

Anyway, hope we see you in the World Series JV.

He's on a win streak in the WS now though