Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Forgot this was in the new CBA:

So it incorporates previous years' finishes as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

Is it bad if my first thought on the 134 number was "really that's it? Less than one per game!" :v:

I tend to agree but it's also worth remembering that we're getting an IF shift ban next year and Rizzo is traditionally one of the most heavily shifted on players in the game, so he may stand as one of the best to benefit.

Not sure if this is internalized Pat Hughes/Len Kasper homerism, but I think of Rizzo as being a plus defender at 1B, especially his ability to stretch and pick bad throws. I wonder if the larger bases will a) make him a better defender with respect to the league (because it amplifies his skills), b) make him a worse defender with respect to the league (because it brings up the floor and average more than it brings him up) or c) unchanged (because everyone improves and rankings don't change)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Eldoop posted:

Speaking of caps, does anyone have any idea where I could find a Mariners cap that would actually fit my huge head? Everything is one size fits all and the specialty big-hat places I've found online only have the big market teams.

Do you know your hat size? Sizes over 8 can be tough to come by, but knowing what to look for in a fitted might help.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Popete posted:

Who was the last old manager that just retired and stayed away? Jim Leyland?

Leyland came back to coach in the WBC, but IDK if that really counts.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

lol cowards

Are the Ricketts still dodging the Cubs convention because of that one time Tom got relentlessly booed?

No, they announced the dates for it, Jan 13-15.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Cubs faced the minimum 27 batters that game. It was way more about Hendricks being good than Kershaw being bad.

Yup, 3 baserunners. Two singles given up by Kyle one his first pitch and last pitch, both erased by GIDP, one BB from Chapman also erased by GIDP.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I like Kershaw a lot, honestly wish him the best, and think he's probably the best pitcher of a generation, but that made it all the more satisfying to beat him that night. Especially after the G2 matchup where Kyle was also awesome and just got beat by the wind.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They just don't want it enough. Gotta get guys that want it instead of guys that don't want it.

the sabermetric way of looking at it would be wTWTW+

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

The difference between the Cubs having broken their historic drought and now being 114 years without a title or whatever is - among other things - an inning where Chapman was put back out after the Davis HR despite being completely and utterly gassed, and three straight Cleveland hitters couldn't square up hanging sliders right down the middle. Also the last AB of the game was Montgomery vs Michael Martinez, the last guy on Cleveland's bench and a journeyman washout who the Cubs literally didn't have a scouting report for because who the hell would give Michael Martinez a postseason AB, and per Montero his chat with Montgomery was basically "idk throw a bunch of curveballs I guess, hopefully he hits one on the ground for an out."

The luck factor in the postseason is absolutely a thing.

This reminded me of the Kipnis foul ball in the 9th that the Fox cameras followed like it was a no-doubt dinger and my blood pressure just shot up 20 points

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

mcmagic posted:

I really think the Yankees issues with the Astros is karmic payback for their ownership of the Twins.

Rock Paper Scissors rules dictate that the twins would sweep the Astros

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

Like most scams it quickly bled through its pool of suckers. It also turns out something like 90% of NFT sales were fake and just the same couple crypto wallets shifting NFT's back and forth at insane values to make it look like they were worth way more than they actually were to try and lure more potential victims in. These days almost nobody is legitimately buying or selling NFT's for anything above absolutely negligible real money values.

If you've got two hours to kill for whatever reason Folding Ideas put together what is the quintessential explanation of what Crypto/NFT's is and why what that is, is nothing but a massive ponzi scam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

basically until this video mainstream journalism covered crypto and NFTs with the wide-eyed wonder of the 90s internet: "whoa, I don't totally understand this but here's a guy whose title is 'crypto sensei' at a startup talking about how it's the future!" and covering the massive (fake) amount of money these things were selling for

it skated by on being new enough that scam artists and true believers could handwave any arguments about why it was obviously worthless with "you just don't understand it, old man, have fun staying poor" and journalists generally gave it the benefit of the doubt because "it sounds really stupid, but there must be something I'm not getting that makes it make sense"

that video honestly helped break down in great detail exactly what was happening and how actually no, the emperor's new clothes aren't the amazing new future, there's just a bunch of naked idiots trying to sell you tokens that point at a url that you hope still has a json file that you hope still has a link to ape jpegs

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

rickiep00h posted:

I've just never understood how "dump your money into an unregulated black hole" was ever supposed to work for the end user, both in crypto and in the NFT abstraction layer. But I also regularly overestimate humanity's ability in almost every possible realm, so this shouldn't be a surprise, ultimately.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I think it's better now that everything runs through the MLB app, but a while back (pre-COVID) I bought tickets to a White Sox game from StubHub or SeatGeek or something secondary, and their gates weren't set up to scan mobile tickets unless they were from Ticketmaster. So if I had gotten the tickets from Ticketmaster, they could scan my phone (or printed), and if I printed this PDF from StubHub, they could scan that, but they couldn't scan the StubHub PDF on my phone. I was gonna have to walk to Kinko's on State in the rain to print them, but luckily we were wearing Orioles hats and a guy on his way in in an Orioles hat stopped and asked if we needed tickets. He had 4 from his work and couldn't find other people to go with. I tried to buy him a beer or something but he wouldn't have any of it. Thanks, guy.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Popete posted:

It should be illegal to advertise sport betting during a sporting event, it seems particularly predatory to get people addicted.

The FanDuel ads talking about how all of life's decisions are just bets actually feels like the gambling equivalent of a beer commercial saying "come on, I know you're at work, but if you just have a couple to take the edge off you'll be in good shape. a lot of people actually drive better after knockin' back a few"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Julio Cruz posted:

you would be shocked at what an ad break on UK TV during sports is like

Just walk around in any city in the UK or Ireland and there's gambling houses basically everywhere. It's weird.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

elentar posted:

Strong late entry for post/handle combo Take of the Year

https://twitter.com/jonbecker_/status/1590529365581832192?s=46&t=wTUl_Y5JdZP8eelRQbe8LA

he sure was

goddamn

it's alan loving dershowitz so i shouldn't even respond into the ether of a dead gay comedy forum but

alan "my 'i settled out of court with Virginia Giuffre' t-shirt is prompting a lot of questions that are answered by my t-shirt" dershowitz posted:

When Robinson was brought up from the Montreal farm team to the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947, one southern player — appropriately named Dixie Walker — refused to play on the same team as what was then called a Negro. To his credit, Dodger President Branch Rickey traded Walker and kept Robinson. This was not only the right thing to do, but it turned out that Robinson was a better player than Walker (although Walker was pretty darn good). This is an example of how meritocracy can help end discrimination.

the article is talking about the youth pipeline, and not the one that you were a part of in little st. james. to have a meritocracy you need equality of opportunity. baseball as she is played is failing in that regard

eat my entire rear end in a top hat alan dershowitz

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shiroc posted:

Is the 'utility' winner for the Silver Slugger a new thing this year or did I miss it being introduced before now?

Yeah, it's new this year

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

MrMidnight posted:

Is there anybody left on the Cubs from the 2016 team now?

Hendricks.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

When do they announce the 2022 Most Catholic Pope

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wait, so Jackie's name is only attached to the AL award despite being a Dodger?

Why?

The Atlanta account just didn't mention the Jackie part:
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1592318789424926720?s=20&t=n47FVOWedRH5FTEq0ihKIw

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

There's basically no way he resigns with the Angels -- they don't have the financial flexibility to both pay him and put together a team that he wants to be on. When he came over, he needed to find a team that would let him pitch and hit, but now that he's proven what he can do, that's not a concern.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Wrigley was better before the video boards

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Inspector_666 posted:

I had a great time at Wrigley, I just wish they would make it so the bleachers aren't a whole separate thing, I would totally go hang out there for an inning if I could then go back to my seats.

You can do the other way -- if you have a bleacher ticket you can get into the grandstand and go back. It's a little weird, but the bleachers are more of a destination at Wrigley than they are other places, and they're usually sold out. There's not really standing room in the bleachers except the concourse behind them, so if you let anyone wander back there it would become a mess real quick.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

yup! Things that matter:

-is the stadium physically safe? Are pieces of it likely to fall off and injur/kill people? Is it in danger of collapse?
-are there lots of seats with good sightlines of the game, or did they take up valuable seating real estate with expensive luxury boxes and weird "quirks?"
-are there sufficient facilities to handle the crowds? (i.e. pisser capacity, this is why The Troughs Were Good)
-similarly, is there enough beer and food vending capacity?
-can you get in and out of the stadium easily & safely via transit?

Wrigley passes all of this, except that a lot of the inexpensive seats (200s and 400s) have partially obstructed views, and it's hard to tell exactly how obstructed until you're in the seat. But if there's not a pole in front of you, the sightlines are all great. You never feel far away, even in the back row of the upper deck, or the CF bleachers above the batter's eye.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

do they still have sufficient beer & food vendors walking the aisles? It was great when I was there in 2013, but that's something a lot of stadiums have seemed to lose since covid as staffing has contracted

In 2021 staffing was so bad that I saw a section-wide brawl sustain itself for an entire half-inning at Petco with zero security every showing up.

Yeah, it was better this year than last year. The beer vendors just give you the can now, which is a little disappointing because I always loved watching them pour it, but it's obviously much easier for them so I don't mind much.

They also have way more concession stands now, especially in the back of the upper deck, which helps relieve the traffic a lot. Ordering on the app is nice too, I can usually go get a beer between innings and not miss more than a couple pitches.

No walking vendors in the bleachers, but that's how it's always been.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I heard Super Mega Baseball 2 was a completely different game in Japan

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Clarence posted:

:kiddo: question - does the player trading go on all the way to sprint training/the start of the season, or is there a cutoff date?

The only trade deadline is the mid season one at the end of July. However, teams don't generally do much trading (at least of big-league players) after ~spring training in a usual offseason.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

You can (and teams have! For example the Cubs traded for a guy named like masturbatony) right now. But big trades and free agent signings tend to happen during and after the GMs have their winter meetings that are in early December.

The last few non-lockout years have had teams waiting to make big signings as a sort of soft collusion against spending money, but it feels like this year could be a frenzy if Judge signs quickly.

Yeah, the entire market will likely be waiting on Judge and to a lesser extent, Correa. So once the Cubs sign both of them, the rest of the league can fight over what's left.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I wanted Abreu to sign with the Cubs, but even without that I'm going to miss seeing him at Comiskey.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

the idea of mark prior fixing someone's mechanics is still mindboggling to me.

look he had thrown 120 pitches already and there was NO ONE warming up even after Alex Gonzalez booted the double play ball? seriously, no one? Where was Borowski?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

SilvergunSuperman posted:

in a sport full of dumb records that don't matter, immaculate innings are at the top for me.

cmoooon winter meetings!

I remember listening to a random Cubs game, probably in 2016, where in one inning all three outs were 4-3 groundouts to Javy Baez. Pat Hughes commented that he had fielded 3 groundouts in the inning, and added "that ties the big league record!" before going to break.

It took me until midway through the next half inning to figure it out.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Highest in total value? Holy poo poo

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

3/130 doesn't seem wild for a pitcher who is expected to be great and has shown basically no signs of losing it, except the injury that he just recovered from and came back better. Also it's not my money what do I care.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

mcmagic posted:

Would NOT count on RP's repeating

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Some Numbers posted:

It's still pretty hilarious to me that Eugenio Suarez was an add on salary dump the Reds made the Mariners take in order to get Winker.

I've always liked *Pat Hughes voice* Eyy-you-hennio Suarez, it's cool that he's getting some time on the contending... Seattle Mariners? That can't be right

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

It is kinda wild in retrospect how long it took MLB to realize they could sell replica jerseys and tshirts to every fan in attendance

It's weird, I definitely remember when most fans in stands weren't in full cosplay.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I have never heard of this company

Ok

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I like the Bellinger signing. Worst case, he's a plus defensive outfielder and they burn some money in a year where they've got money to burn. Best case, he figures out his mechanics and he's a potential MVP candidate.

Cubs fans have some experience watching a plus defensive outfielder lefty who might just be able to hit again maybe, hopefully.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

Is Cody going to be able to find good weed in Chicago tho?? :ohdear:

The taxes are insane on government weed here, but housing is much cheaper so he'll do fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, it's called Hey Man, Nice Shot

What a good shot, man