Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Disgusting absence of https://twitter.com/LawDavF on the twitter recommendation list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's entirely possible that Starlink and Musk are being upfront about their costs and problems. Donations and at-cost provision is great, but a private company shouldn't really be expected to be bankrolling a foreign war to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars and it's reasonable for them to ask for their costs to be covered. It's also reasonable for them to pitch for commercial funding rather than at-cost funding as an opening bid.

Starlink was a good pr donation but it was done in March and there was probably an assumption of how long the war would go on for and how much the donation would cost the company that has subsequently changed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Feliday Melody posted:

I believe that the sums that Musk is throwing around isn't the cost to SpaceX, but rather the retail customer price that those services would have cost.

It's entirely reasonable for them to calculate the cost as being the opportunity cost of lost revenue, particularly given that this is the start of a commercial negotiation they are doing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Inferior Third Season posted:

It's also reasonable to nationalize systems that are vital to conducting war.

If your long term national strategy for winning wars is to maintain a technology and innovation advantage over your opponents then this would be a terrible thing to do, particularly if you aren't actually conducting the war in question.

e: nationalising also doesn't solve the problem of needing to pay to keep the thing running

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 14, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I know you want it to wind down, but as we close off Elon-chat it's worth noting Ukraine's gov also sending clear 'don't yell at Elon' signals:

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1580945804193587200

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is what Minsk 2 foundered over. Ukraine's position was 'we want to take back control of the border first and then let the millions of displaced people from the Donbass return home, then we'll have a referendum' and Russia's position was 'no you can't do it that way around because we've already printed all the completed ballots, look we can just tell you what the referendum result is now if you would like'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This should be a trite point, but Putin doesn't care about the democratic legitimacy of his own regime in Russia beyond the theatrics and being a pressure valve for discontent, he obviously does not care about national self-determination anywhere else in the world.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It wasn't bloodless there was a war. It's just that the fighting was in the Donbass.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Being entirely dependent on Ukraine for drinkable water is one of the issues you would expect to be drawn out in a real referendum campaign.

e: hell the existence of any sort of political campaign is one of those big hints as to whether you are looking at a real democratic exercise or a sham

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 14, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lol

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1581345747777179651

By 'free' he of course means 'I would like the markets to give me back the tens of billions of dollars I've lost over the last couple of days picking a bad fight'

e: if he plays it straight then he might get to come out of this with his reputation enhanced the way it should have been.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 15, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Government says that this was a test flight, presumably of a freshly built plane from the Irkutsk Aviation Plant, which manufactures Su-30 planes alongside other things.

That's actually much worse than it being an old airframe they ran into the ground and couldn't maintain.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In living memory Russia maintained an empire consisting of all of Eastern Europe, it's absolutely possible for a modern state to do this with measures short of genocide as long as you have a group of collaboraters willing to run the place, spend the subsidies necessary to maintain their police state, and are willing to roll in tanks now and again to make the price of dissent clear.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Athas posted:

I understand why mercenary companies can be convenient and how Wagner has been a useful tool for Russian foreign policy. But when fighting full-fledged wars, as the invasion of Ukraine has turned into, are they really useful anymore? Prolonged warfare between modern nations seem to require large citizen armies, and I don't see how mercenary companies are a useful part of that calculus, unless they also function as foreign legions and thus increase the available manpower pool. I understand that Wagner is also a political player, but at this point in the war, is it really contributing anything useful in a military sense that the regular Russian forces couldn't do? Wagner seems to be the mechanism by which prisoners are recruited for the war, but it's not clear to me whether they show up in useful numbers, or whether the regular army couldn't just raise penal battalions as well.

The thing you need to bear in mind is that Wagner mercenaries exist to be barely-deniable Russian professional soldiers who are an unofficial arm of the Russia state. If you are a motivated Russian soldier then your career options are to take a contract and experience the awfulness of the Russian army or sign up with Wagner and you'll have to work for your money but get paid a lot more and the people around you will be similarly motivated.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

More CommentisFreed:https://twitter.com/LawDavF/status/1585236315947536384

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't think the suggestion is that every Russian unit in Kherson is down to 6-8% strength, more that units are just being observed left to be attritted into nothingness rather than pulled out of the line to be reformed and regenerated.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/konrad_muzyka/status/1586273437223424000

Looks like a juicy War on the Rocks podcast coming soon

e: edit for actual today content from Sam Greene: https://tldrussia.substack.com/p/tldrussia-weekend-roundup-706?r=15i4j0&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email

quote:

What I’m thinking about
I got some flak on Twitter for suggesting that we ought not hang on every word pronounced by the commander-in-chief of the country waging the largest European land war since the end World War II, and who controls a rather large nuclear arsenal — so I think I ought to explain.

My dismissal of Putin’s speech is not a dismissal of his actions. Rather, it’s a recognition that Putin’s speeches are actions in and of themselves, and of a particular — and largely predictable — kind. Putin’s speeches are meant to achieve three things:

Putin’s speeches are meant to recruit. He knows that he cannot win over a sufficient audience — whether domestically or internationally — through any one line of argumentation, and so he uses many. If you are motivated by great-Russian nationalism, he gives you plenty of that. Anti-americanism or post-modern anti-hegemonism? That, too. Don’t like woke? Putin’s your man! Putin doesn’t need you to buy all of what he’s saying. He just wants people to latch on at least to part of it, in order to either keep them onside (if they’re in Russia) or to keep them skeptical about Western responses to the war (if they’re abroad). To win over enough people, the speech almost has to be three and a half hours long.

Putin’s speeches are meant to confuse. It is impossible to determine from that speech exactly what Putin is trying to achieve. Domination of Ukraine? Probably. The end of American hegemony? Possibly. Preventing the expansion of LGBTQ+ rights in Russia? Undoubtedly. I could go on, and that’s the point. If we don’t agree on what Putin is after, we can’t agree on how to respond, and we can’t predict what he might do next. As a result, we end up preparing for every interpretation and eventuality, which means that we’re not really prepared for any of them.

Putin’s speeches are meant to provide room for maneuver. We might think of Putin as a puppet-master, but he has is own uncertainties. He does not know — indeed, cannot know — how his various audiences will respond to what he says and to what he does. Military mobilization was meant to bolster the army, but it fractured public opinion. Bombing Ukrainian cities and cutting off gas to Europe was meant to weaken morale, but it has only galvanized resolve and solidarity. Putin thus needs to experiment with different rhetorical and tactical approaches, leaving himself the flexibility to run with what works and abandon what doesn’t.

Note what’s not on that list: Putin’s speeches are not meant to inform. They are pieces of strategic communication, meant to produce audience responses that amplify Putin’s strengths and minimize his weaknesses. So by all means, listen in — but not too closely.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 29, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s the context to the tweet because the one it’s quoting was deleted or something

Someone claiming that the Russians in Kherson are completely out of artillery ammo and the Ukrainians don't have to worry about counter-battery fire.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Freedman has done another really good blog, this time dissecting 'hey why does nobody who says negotiations are important ever analyse Putin's position?'

Spoiler: it's because that makes it obvious why negotiations aren't happening

https://samf.substack.com/p/why-putin-prefers-war-war-to-jaw?utm_source=twitter&sd=pf

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

Man. Restomodding is so hip now.

In all seriousness, do we have data on how well modernized old tanks do in battle? I remember reading how Slovenia was giving T55s to Ukraine to get upgraded and put into action.

If you have good optics and communications then basically you rely on the advantages of 'a bad tank is better than no tank' and 'the best armour is to shoot the enemy before he shoots you'.

Fortunately the easiest bit of refurbishing and modernising a tank is to replace the radio and optics.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

You also slap on as much reactive armor as humanly possible onto it. Reactive armor as a % of total coverage appears to be one of the single biggest things currently for vehicle survivability.

One of the things I really want to read about from an academic/doctrinal standpoint is whether each side has been actively choosing to use tanks to engage other tanks, or whether they have been trying where possible to use them to blast away at infantry while ATGMs/drones/artillery goes after the other side's armour.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Russia's position at every point has been 'we are open to negotiations... but not with the drug addict nazi zelensky regime' so really it wouldn't hurt Ukraine at all to take a mirror position calling that out.

e: the core problem is that Putin already rejected all the reasonable compromises so any sudden change of heart would be tainted by 'you are only agreeing to this because you have literally no other choice and will renege at the first opportunity, as you always do'.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 6, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

More In Moscow's Shadows: In Moscow's Shadows 82: What Prigozhin Wants, What Putin Believes, and Why Russia Might Create its own Bureau 39

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Erdogan plays a very aggressive game of making Turkey indispensible and getting what he wants while not making friends along the way, but he knows which side his toast is buttered.

As long as there isn't actually any imminent threat to Finland and Sweden he can posture for internal cred while actually squaring off against the Russians in the Baltic.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

On balance, in combat, churning commanders is going to drive better results.

What.

That is not how this works at all.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

A few days ago the Royal United Services Institute (a UK defence and security think tank) published an in-depth look at the air-war so far. I've not had a chance to read it properly yet, and frankly I'm qualified to critique it...
https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/special-resources/russian-air-war-and-ukrainian-requirements-air-defence/

The tl;dr (although it's a good read) is that the narrative that Russia has been holding back its air force isn't actually true - there have been multiple phases of the air war over the last 9 months and at every stage both sides have been giving the maximum effort possible.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In fairness every Russian over 40 has lived in a world in which Russia spent an enormous amount of money subsidizing the economies of the states around it and all they got for it was "please stop sending tanks to shoot the people protesting the brutal client government you are imposing on us".

Never forget the reason the USSR fell apart wasn't primarily because the periphery wanted independence and the subsidies to stop flowing, it was because Russians decided that it didn't make any sense to keep paying for an Empire that hated them for it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The line is easy: 'no missiles would be being fired at all if Russia wasn't launching attacks on civilian targets'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rinkles posted:

All we can do is base our judgment on what his intentions were on the available evidence.

So, not on what happened but what he said before the war?

Yes. It may be that thirty years from now we unlock the archives and discover that there is massive evidence that he was an imperialist at heart. That is possible, but we do not have any evidence of that sort at this point in time. We have a huge amount of evidence that it was nato expansion and the more general policy of making Ukraine a western bulwark on Russia’s border that motivated him to attack on February 24th.

what a dunce

Given that he is interested in integrating into Russia the parts of Ukraine that he’s conquered successfully, does that suggest that if the war had gone better for him and he’d been able to conquer more of Ukraine that he would’ve been interested in integrating those parts too?

It’s possible. It’s hard to say. I think he probably would’ve gone to Odesa and incorporated all of Ukraine that runs along the Black Sea up to Odesa into Russia. Whether he would’ve gone beyond that, it’s hard to say.

Lol so he doesn't want to conquer all of Ukraine, but he does want to conquer literally all of Ukraine that he thinks he can conquer.

e: holy poo poo Mearschiemer gets bodied in this interview;

quote:

You gave a speech about all this and said, “One might argue that Putin was lying about his motives, that he was attempting to disguise his imperial ambitions. As it turns out, I have written a book about lying in international politics—‘Why Leaders Lie: The Truth about Lying in International Politics’—and it is clear to me that Putin was not lying.” What is it about your study of leaders and lying that makes you think Putin was not lying?

Well, first of all, leaders don’t lie to each other very often. One of the central findings in my book is that leaders lie more often to their domestic audiences than they do to international audiences, or to other foreign leaders. And the idea that Putin would have devised this massive deception campaign where he consistently lied about what the reason was for going to war would’ve been unprecedented in history. There’s just simply no other case that even comes close to any leader lying time after time for purposes of fooling the other side.

Would Munich be an example of a leader lying?

Munich was a single case. I mean, there’s no question that Hitler lied at Munich, and one can point to one or two other instances where Hitler lied.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 17, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Economists have predited nine of the last five recessions, and Mearsheimer has predicted twenty of the last five wars.

e: the astonishing confusion here is that in one sense he's absolutely right: Russia has been very open and clear in its published policy and official statements what its understanding of the world and foreign policy objectives are. Has been for twenty years. It's what Eastern Europe has been banging the drum on - they bother to read these documents. That doesn't mean that Putin personally doesn't lie constantly.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 18, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The pre-Maidan elections where candidates Moscow did not like would mysteriously come into contact with nerve agents were of course completely legitimate.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's a problem called "mirror imaging" in strategic studies. We (we as humans, not us ITT specifically) tend to imagine our opponents as thinking and behaving in mostly the same way that we do despite this being very obviously not true. An example being the various commentators who said there was no way Russia would attack Ukraine because they didn't have the resources to win such a conflict.

I think there's a caveat-for-fairness to be thrown in here, which is that 99% of the Russian commetariat also assumed there was no way Putin would start a war because they didn't have the resources to win such a conflict. Interesting instance of double mirroring in that within the autocratic system they weren't able to see the indicators that Russian experts outside the system who were saying 'things have changed, Putin is absolutely serious about this' and so were assuming Putin would act like they assumed a foreign leader would act.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

His actual job is as an analyst in the Australian defense industry. He hasn't been specific, but he's commented a few times that making and presenting PowerPoint presentations is pretty much what he does all day.

He also has said he has a degree in Eastern European military history (again nothing more specific), had a Ukrainian grandfather, and his family comes from Croatia.

That's as much as I've gleaned from the asides he makes during his videos. He knows his poo poo pretty thoroughly.

He is probably extremely identifiable to his industry stakeholders while remaining anonymous to people casually googling him.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

These comments are specifically in the context of pointing out that there was a pre-war security order in Europe that was working really well for everyone, Russia was obviously in no risk of being attacked, Putin chose to wreck it, and Putin has the option of going back to it.

Obviously if Putin chooses not to return to it then something new is needed, but it's important not to concede Putin's narrative that he was owed some grand new bargain.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

More in Moscow's Shadows: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1026985/11809676

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bremen posted:

I'm totally fine with NATO giving Russia security guarantees, because it means nothing. No one is going to invade a nuclear ICBM armed power and everyone, including Putin, is already aware of this. If an empty gesture like that lets Putin claim a "win" to his people for his abysmal failure of a war than that's a small price to pay to stop the murder of Ukrainians.

It's a problem if the guarantees aren't reciprocal because that sets all kinds of bad precedents. If Putin isn't willing to put all the Iskanders in Kaliningrad pointed at every capital in Eastern and Central Europe on the table, why should he get any guarantees on systems placed in Ukraine?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't know how you get these threads wrong repeatedly, but the end of the gif makes it clear it isn't NMS at all and actually quite funny.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

I saw a video about a Ukrainian field hospital the other day that reinforces these points:

Mild NMS for people being treated and some blood, but no direct shots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9wYC5FxZso

Basically the wounded talk about Russian troops attacking at night wearing all black and sustaining bullet wounds. The incidence of bullet wounds going up when compared to before where it was all artillery.

Jesus chris man, mild NMS? The video opens with a guy being treated who has a huge chunk of his leg torn open (the guy is obviously in serious pain but after they treat him he is literally able to walk away so hopefully a good prognosis).

e: \/ I actually agree, it's the kind of imagery you'd expect to see from an uncensored hospital documentary rather than war porn, but 'no direct shots' is a wildly inaccurate description.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 12, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

And the really important thing is, your militarily useful population is in the 18-30 bracket, which is also the bit driving your civilian economy. Russia's demographics in this space are Not Good.

e: Russia has spent the last ten years struggling to deal with the costs of a rapidly aging population and an economy that doesn't really work. Mass casualties and emigation in the weakest and most critical demographic point is potentially catastrophic in the long term.

e2: Ukraine's demographics look very similar. This is a war being fought on both sides by old men.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 14, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Panzeh posted:

A lot of it is based on the bizarre idea that "multipolarity" would A. be achieved by Russian success in Ukraine and B. would somehow result in a peaceful world.

We do in fact have examples of "multipolar" situations in history. Spoiler alert, they weren't particularly peaceful, especially if you consider the world outside Europe.

Case in point, Dmitri Trenin (worth reading because he's a Russian Patriot trying to do sensible analysis on the best course for his country - you have to filter his work remembering he's writing to try to influence Kremlin policy makers) wrote on this a few days ago: https://globalaffairs.ru/articles/perelomnaya-tochka/

quote:

In a new environment – even compared to the period 2014-2022 – Russia faces a politically mobilized collective West. With the beginning of the war in Ukraine, the degree of cohesion around the United States of English-speaking countries, Europe, Asian allies reached previously unseen values. Not only Great Britain, Poland and the Baltic States, but also Germany, France, Italy, Spain took a sharply anti-Russian position. For the first time in Russian history, Russia in the West does not have not only allies, but even interlocutors capable of playing the role of intermediaries, "translators" and the like. The traditional neutrality of a number of European countries has been completely reset and has come to naught. Not only Finland and Sweden, which decided to join NATO, but also Austria, Ireland and even Switzerland, which is not a member of any associations, actually joined the anti-Russian alliance. On the side of this coalition, numbering about fifty countries around the world, the Vatican also stands...

...Russia's special military operation in Ukraine has become a test not only for Russia's opponents and previously neutral states, but also for Moscow's formal allies and integration partners. This audit revealed a real state of affairs that was not accepted to be discussed publicly. Of all the allies of the Russian Federation in the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO), only Belarus acted on the side of Moscow and provided it with real support. All other allies, as well as partners in the Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU), have taken a neutral stance. Their main motive was not to spoil relations with the United States and the West in any way and to take advantage of Moscow's focus on Ukraine to further diversify foreign policy and continue to distance itself from Russia. This situation raises questions for Moscow about the future of its approaches to the problems of alliance and integration with the former Soviet republics.

Translation: you wanted a multipolar world? Congratulations, everyone who was previously neutral in Europe flipped to the other pole, and all our CSTO 'allies' have flipped neutral.

e: like, it's something to consider that the Global South is not going along with the Western Narrative on the war, but Russia's great strategic objective is not to be friends with the Global South, it is to be the dominant power in Europe.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's also an element that you aren't targeting all Russians with the message, just Men aged 18-40, which gets you a lot closer to 'scouring online sources for news as to what's going on'. Particularly rumours of further conscription rounds.