Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tesseraction posted:

It's still astounding to me that seven months later not only has Ukraine managed to hold on, they're actively pushing back to reclaim territory.

It this point I don’t think it’s a question of whether Ukraine pushes Russia back to 2/22 borders, but what Putler does when they begin the liberation of Crimea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russian government has placed an order for 800 modernisations of T-62 tanks. Not entirely clear if we’re talking about the T-62M, or the new T-62 modernisation kit showcased 2 months ago. https://rg.ru/amp/2022/08/15/radikalnuiu-modernizaciiu-t-62-vpervye-pokazali-na-armii-2022.html

The article about modernisation procurement suggests the latter. In any case, they’re saying that the factory is working in 2 shifts, and it would take them 3 years to chew through this order, unless they go to working in 3 shifts and modernise the factory floor as well, which they’re looking into.

:lol:

So if they can find the manpower (which is clearly not a given,) they can modernize the loving T-62s the they have laying around in a year or two.

For those just tuning in, this is akin to the US dipping into M60 stocks (not even A3s, but OG M60s) to replenish M1A2 losses. I don’t think the US even has M60A3s kicking around anymore.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oh of course, you're not wrong.

"The left's" problem in this is that they assume that both sides will act in good faith. It's decorum poisoned.

This is easy for me to say because I'm not fighting in it, but sometimes you have to fight a war. All our idealistic systems can't fix everything.

Can’t wait for the Russian media to pick up on the peace faction in the US congress.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Franks Happy Place posted:

They are borderline dunbfire rockets with rudimentary guidance and a gently caress off huge warhead.

The difference between a Grad an a MLRS is, with a Grad, aiming is pointless because you are blowing up the entire grid on the targeting map, so to speak.

MLRS was originally a slight refinement on the same concept. The original (and until 2005, the ONLY rocket available for MLRS) was an unguided dispenser with between 500 and 600 submunitions, depending on subtype. During the Gulf war it acquired several nicknames, among them “The Corps Commander’s sawed-off,” and “grid-eraser.”

ATACMS was deployed in small numbers just in time for the gulf war, but it wasn’t until relatively recently that precision guided munitions became the primary payload for MLRS and HIMARS.

Both systems retain the ability to fire unguided munitions, but the Army has stated that it is in the process of divesting all remaining stocks of non-precision MLRS family munitions.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Antigravitas posted:

But it shows once again that former nobility LARPing as Princes and Lords are dangerous, and should not be tolerated in a democracy. Their ideology is fundamentally opposed to the democratic order.

:hmmyes:

I only discovered relatively recently that Europe still has people that insist on reminding everyone who their ancestors were. Honestly it’s mostly surprising to me that such behavior doesn’t result in those doofuses being shunned out of society.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bashez posted:

It's weird to contrast this with the report of 50 bradleys. I understand they don't have to all come at once but these numbers seem so small compared to what is possible.

Sending 50 functional, combat ready vehicles is a lot different from sending 50 tracks that have been sitting in the Alabama sun for ten years with no maintenance.

Also, Ukraine needs to be able to support them with fuel, ammo, spares, etc. A track with no fuel isn’t much use.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

He was talking about the 234/2 specifically, but yes, all of the 234s are variations on the same theme with different main gun arrangements.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Russia should eject the Duchy of Moscow.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Whats more, the F-104 used blown flaps, where high pressure bleed air from the engine compressor is blown over the trailing-edge flaps to enhance their effectiveness. This also means that you have to carry quite a lot of power all the way to touchdown to keep the BLCS functioning. Pull too much power out because you’re a little high? You suddenly have the glide ratio of a brick.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I need to buy stock in whatever company makes OD green CARC paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russias-medvedev-floats-idea-pushing-back-polands-borders-2023-02-24/

You and what army there, bud?

Is the Russian internal media so disassociated that they can see this kind of Sabre rattling as anything other than self-destructive?