Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

It's still astounding to me that seven months later not only has Ukraine managed to hold on, they're actively pushing back to reclaim territory.

I was one of the people who posted back in december or january "surely russians can't be so stupid as to attempt to capture a 40 million nation of strongly independant people without a full scale mobilisation? :downs: " And look at me now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Added as I recognise all of those, despite still haven’t watched a single video of Perun.

Perun is god of thunder is slavic pagan pantheon, is it the same thing in Baltic mythology?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Sucrose posted:

What? Do they mean he had a heart attack and was found slumped over a fence, or that this guy had hanged himself or was hanged?

There were already a bunch of reports that he was found hanging when izvestiya.ru posted a solemn note saying that a brave warrior's heart stopped without going into vulgar details.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am amazed what new terms they keep inventing for retreat. We all know "gesture of good will", "movement for further reorganization", now its new "planned relocation" 😁

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Sucrose posted:

I was half wondering if this was all set up: have some guy call for genocide and then be immediately fired and censured as proof that the Russian government is totally not genocidal towards Ukrainians and that that sort of attitude is actually totally condemned. But if that was the case they’d probably have made some random shmuck the fall-guy, not the head of RT Russia.

He just was just trying to be a good propagandist but loving fumbled it. They are not mad at him for suggesting drowning children, they are mad for, quoting a RU senator "giving the enemy a propagandist nuclear bomb". Genocide is OK, in their minds, as long as you don't call it as such.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Chalks posted:

So perhaps he was saying extreme things in order to bait someone else, then they hosed up and forgot to cut those bits before the broadcast?

The screenshot in this tweet is from the other guy in video, scifi writer Sergey Lukyanenko. He says maybe it was an attempt to bait him, maybe Krasovsky had an episode but he fully expected these parts to be cut.

I can see Krasovsky's cocaine-riddled brain to think it was awesome but there should be chief editors to clear this for broadcast

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

alex314 posted:

Can anyone familiar with Russian laws explain how Uzbek men working in Russia got mobilization summons? Are double citizenship a norm when moving between CIS countries for work?

Dude, they just legalized drafting criminals with "heavy" charges (murder, rape etc) meaning that it was previously completely illegal and noone bat an eye.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Morrow posted:

Putin wants a bipolar world again, simple as that. His objection to a unipolar world isn't intrinsic to it, imperialism is fine when Russia does it. His objection is that Russia isn't able to do its imperialism. He'd be fine with a multipolar world with China and others as long as Russia had freedom of action.

Nevermind that the "West" had generally been content to give Russia its sphere of influence and clients in Central Asia and the Middle East until Putin directly challenged western influence in Ukraine (I'm glossing over domestic factors and Ukrainian agency) and even then the post-2014 western involvement had been confined to very minor support to the newly anti-Russian government. In a way Putin had his multipolar world, it's just the Russian sphere wasn't big enough for Putin.

The problem here is, well China. The only true rival to the USA who has steadily grown to achieve this position now watch a former empire make their last swing before fading into obscurity but can also ruin the whole plan with nukes

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

There are a bunch of unconfirmed news pieces that he was found dead in Moskva river.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

FishMcCool posted:

Since the grain deal withdrawal didn't exactly work out as planned, they want back in:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ukraine/2022/1102/1332709-ukraine-russia/

:allears:

This is why. Also a good example on how to deal with Putin. When Turkey shot down a russian fighter jet in Syria there was also a bit of quiet bleating, otherwise no response whatsoever

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The insider reports Estonian border guards being mega assholes to fleeing Ukranian and refusing entry

https://theins.ru/news/256649

According to the story had tickets and paperwork to go to UK, was refused as a security threat because his phone was "too clean", requested asylum, was threatened with violence and thrown back into russia

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 3, 2022

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

cinci edit: :nms: corpses in open sight, other combat aftermath scenery
https://theins.ru/en/news/256786

A good article about some recent Russian military disasters. Hundreds of marines were killed near Vuhledar and Ukraine received new shipments of SAM systems. Pavlivka is mauling the RUAF.

This seems to be pretty big including larger propaganda perspective. Frontline troops increasingly rely on war correspondents and their telegram channels to voice their various grievances which are usually about generals being garbage and also cynical bastards who send them to die for a medal. Said war correspondents are of course pro war and various shades of fascist but do not try to fit with existing propaganda system who's message was "everything's fine, goes according to plan.

Telegram correspondents with ties to Wagner, abovementioned marines or more or less proffessionalish forces openly criticize russian MoD, generals and seem one step away from blaming Putin himself for how crappily this war is led. There was even an attempt by MoD to start trials against them for "discrediting the armed forces" but seemed to have quietly died down, traditional tv propaganda seems confused right now on where they aught to direct their outrage. Normal response would be to just not report any failures but telegram reporters make huge noise while also being so far untouchable.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 8, 2022

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

It does indeed seem like some sort of trap, on other hand I trust Zaluzhny, he outplayed russians on every turn so far.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Cool, RU ministry of justice proposed to make public the "foreign agent" and "extremist" databases including home addresses.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

There is no peace until russia is outright defeated. And they understand they were defeated. There is still "our troops need a vacation", "no fun in Kherson anymore" views out there. I heard an even more interesting take, "we are losing? Eh, who cares, let them win so life gets back to normal".

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Zelensky done a cool move by visiting Kherson.
1. Slap in the face to bullshit acession referendi
2. Once again visual difference from bunker-dwellers

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Orthanc6 posted:

It's insanely historic having the country's leader show up in a liberated city within a day or 2 of enemy forces leaving. Like liberation of France historic. This guy was an actor a few years ago and now he's a permanent fixture of history textbooks.

His appearance is indeed historic as gently caress. It just blows my mind how Zelensky the actor does so well as wartime president while Zaluzhny the general is somehow so good at war he just wins and wins wtf?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I don't know how much of a political party the military is in Ukraine (probably enormous) gen. Zaluzhny tweeted thet he will accept nothing less than 1994 borders

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

68 year old dude who's daughter died by being bombed is Kiyv, was sentenced to 2 years prison for insulting Lukashenko

https://twitter.com/belamova/status/1593529836135501824?t=vgmLqQPynRVRzAOp_fgXKw&s=19

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/tannyshanny/status/1595799109113372675?t=QwnFWRUEv1sqXJ3p6whnWA&s=19

This is how Ukraine looked last night. This means no lights, no communications, no heating at +2 celcius. Hospitals, emergency services, everything

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Not really except in select hospitals that were directly hit as well. Such facilities have backup power available because black outs can happen even in better times when someone screws up. But regardless it's an over the top war crime.

How long does backup power lasts? Is is magic? It needs diesel which is who knows when and how much under bombardment and, well, lack of fucken electricity which you need for almost everything.

Here is Kyiv now

https://twitter.com/ptuxerman/status/1595906648626831360?t=oss0GUxrUdOnpIr9lH-fUw&s=19

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

BoldFace posted:

I was honestly pretty surprised when Russia didn't completely hammer Ukraine's energy infrastructure back in February-March.

Back then they operated under the delusion that they'll be welcomed as liberators from jew-nazi drug addict Zelensky and thus non-combatants aught to be spared to, well, welcome them. Now its clear that every Ukranian is as bad and deserves no mercy

E: But honestly the plan here is to cause Ukrianians to riot and demand "gently caress it, surrender is better than this poo poo existance", but I'm not so sure it will work, also everyone should quadruple their aid

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 25, 2022

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Belarusian foreign minister Vladimir Makey suddenly died.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Conspiracy theories about Makey's possible assassination are multiplying. He was supposed to speak at OSCE foreign ministers conference in Warsaw (where Lavrov wasn't invited) 1-2 december, and now everyone's wondering what was he going to say

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

If russia actually captures Bakhmut i wonder what the russian dead per meter will work out at?

If Putin want's to sacrifice the next two generations of his own country's population for temporary possession of land then he's a bigger fool than me.

Thats exactly the the discussion I saw on RU twitter a few minutes ago. The OP was wondering if Putin is sacrificing the Wagner group but the general opinion is (and I agree) that its the convicts and recently mobilized human waves while preserving the Wagner core. Mobilized casualties don't matter IMO. Putin had reached a state of solipsism when its "well, I've seen it all, death is soon anyway why not Marshal Zhukov this whole thing to conclusion, russians don't seem to mind."

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The worst thing seems to be that russians indeed don't mind. Such as communities and families coming together to buy "humanitarian" aid for their soldiers which is literally food and basic necessities. And volunteers who do bring that stuff to them while avoiding higher command and logistics hubs who just hoard, steal and mismanage it all. Recent set of interviews I read quoted a tank mechanic who said they spend their salaries on spare parts and even manuals because "the army has no money to spare" and it felt like "meh, it sucks but what can you do".

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Margarita Simonyan being normal again
https://twitter.com/prof_preobr/status/1597581377188372481?t=7ihToeU7A_P5ydc16K_3MQ&s=19

What I find funny here is not just her considering the Hague. It's her notion that "heh, it's not just me and Solovyov, right? Right? We all equally bear the responsibility, we all wanted this awful poo poo :downs:"

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Don't know how trustworthy is Iran International but I heard nothing of this. If I am wrong inshallah, let our OMON go there and perish.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am growing increasingly interested about who is Strelkov's guardian angel, he is allowed to talk poo poo about Shoigu, implicate accusations about Putin. Now demeans Russia' latest "success" - release of arms trader Viktor But from america.

https://twitter.com/ru2ch/status/1602257491705970690?s=20&t=sUHT5K_PVRMAdQESd4v-iA

His take on But joining the LDPR - my translation "poo poo joins another poo poo""

E: even Prigozhin with his sledgehammer has to watch his language somewhat. Girkin-Strelkov says whatever the gently caress he wants. Maybe there is some truth to rumors that he is a secret spokesperson for russian army, vents in public their frustrations.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 12, 2022

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Doccers posted:

in the US, an upside down flag is supposed to be used to symbolize you are in distress. I could see the logic in flying the Ukrainian flag upside down to indicate they need support.

Was there ever a situation when it was used that way? It reminds me more of Spec Ops: the line where it meant "we don't give a gently caress anymore"

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Grip it and rip it posted:

You are wrong. Hth. Its a pretty widely understood signal of distress.

This makes no sense. Polish flag in distress is a flag of Indonesia. Not to mention variety of other flags that just don't work like that

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Ukrainians probably going to be written in Latin script within a decade the way things are going

I think Kazakhstan decided to go there even before the war, Ukraine will probably manage within 3-5 years IMO. I hope for Belarus too.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Just watched Zelensky's new year address, amazingly good. Also watched Tikhanovskaya's address, not bad.

And the important thing: all you tank theorists, how A2A1 will ruin bridges and who knows what. Ukraine is currently at cutting edge of war. And if they ask for tanks, you don't ask whether they deserve tanks or if said tanks will break bridges. They've already shown that they dont ruin donated equipment, they use it to maximum. It is already proven how good they are at war. They say they need tanks means they indeed need exactly tanks.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

It is mindblowing to me that some goons who never been into any kind of war, while seeing how Ukraine weaponized even commercial drones say "nah, they'll just gently caress up abramses :downsbravo:" They know war to the extent that you never will

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

isis weaponized commercial drones, it isnt rocket science dude lol

abrams, im sure ukraine can figure it out. especially if they can send back to western european depots for the most extensive maintenance. nonetheless, it is undoubtedly another stream of parts, ammo and training to manage.

Amazing way to say you are German without saying outright.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Because no country in central europe will repair these tanks dude lol

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Poland is getting Abrams repair facilities, or maybe already has some, I don’t remember.

Of course they do, I was viciously sniping at that rear end in a top hat whom you should ban

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

how much of a threat is the belarussian army?

Threat level: hilarious

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Our entire defense was based on the concept to make any potential invasion unprofitable in terms of gains/losses and than our ally the undefeatable russia will roll in and make things right. I have no idea for what possible purpose would anyone would want to conquer Belarus except ...well... loving russia, against whom we got no defenses whatsoever. And their army has free reign to do what they please now anyway. If Ukraine is to crush them, we have a chance. Pls write to your goddamn politicians for more weapons to Ukraine, I know its silly but better than nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am seeng. Forces that can help but too cowardly to help