Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Russia apparently pulled most s300s from around St Petersburg, so maybe not too many spares floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

Wouldn't this be either Bofors 40mm or Oerlikon 20 or 30mm autocannons? Just the thought of trying to shoot at drones with a howitzer is :goofy:

I read it initially that way too, but he’s using it as a prior example of them acquiring howitzers on the open market as aid, not them acquiring the M109 as anti aircraft guns.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Pre and post war French doctrine loves these heavily armed and less armored vehicles, in particular viewing them as mission not the mount replacements for the old cavalry

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Is this line of thought that Russia is gonna sink U.S. military ships in the Atlantic? Maybe through some magic plausible deniability because subs?

That’s spectacularly clancychat.

I’m only clarifying because folks responding to this seem to think the concern is that there are physical limitations with port facilities in Europe.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Cicero posted:

I admit I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be more domestic backlash by this point in Russia, they really seem to be churning through new guys, and for zero or near-zero gains.

Like, isn't the narrative that mothers of soldiers pushed back on the war in Afghanistan, and that was with far fewer losses than here? I know Putin has a stranglehold on the media, but there's only so much you can suppress people's sons and husbands being killed.

They’ve very explicitly targeted wives and mothers of soldiers who complain.

The last time someone confronted Putin, in this case regarding the Kursk, they sedated her on live TV.

They’ve also arrested organizers from the Afghan days for stirring up dissent.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

There was a joke in the other Ukraine thread that "NATO kept wagging it's finger at Russia, so it obviously had no choice but to invade and commit genocide." And while honestly intended as a joke, that essentially is the truth of the matter if you genuinely accept the idea NATO is an imminent and existential threat to Russia and caused this by...simply existing?

Putin's latest word salad rant had a part about how long range missiles get put on the border of Russia, so in response he has to keep expanding the border as well. ...Which is an open admission that he's choosing imperialist expansion for a thin veneer of safety. It's hard for me to take anyone seriously who swallows and parrots this stuff. It's transparent nonsense. If you really want to support Russia, why invent these dumb and convoluted reasons and just be honest about it?

Because Russia are unequivocal bad guys and you need either to delude yourself into believing they’re not, or you know and support them anyway but you want your buddy who only wants to talk about the NBA or NHL to be on your side, because both sides are no angels.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Huggybear posted:

Are these still jury rigged or is someone making these for this specific use? Are those mortars or munitions designed to explode on contact? What does command and control look like? The targeting must have its own logistics as the drone camera is just a camera from what I have seen; is there a specific platform or - dare I speculate - a targeting OS or app for something like this? I get this might all be top secret and milsec, I am just interested in the generalities.

No idea how that one works, but I remember seeing some early versions with civilian drones supposedly used sensors watching lights on the drone that could be triggered through the drones app to blink on command.

Flash the light, the bomb holder releases the bomb.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

OddObserver posted:

I am curious if the new German defense minister will make a difference there.

I vaguely remember folks saying it’s a dumping ground, and that scholz was still mostly in charge, is the new guy some politically connected? I think he was an interior minister of Bavaria, but no idea how important that is.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Kadyrov also has been implicated in killings or reporters and opposition figures, and there was a rumor folks loyal to him were housed near the kremlin as some sort of QRF.

Hes seemingly transcended being the guy to keep the lid on Chechnya to a source of muscle outside the traditional powers in intelligence and the military.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Ukraine has raided Russia proper with nap of the earth helicopter raids already. Russian territory is off limits besides western hand wringing around weapons systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

James Garfield posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/faineg/status/1631319179931578368

It looks like Chinese drone companies blocked sales to Russia (and Ukraine).

This won’t happen, but in my mind there is gonna be a wiki article on the liberation of Melitopol and part of the background is gonna be how Russians couldn’t purchase consumer drones for a short period thus leaving their recon units compromised.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)