Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The projections are just based on current rates. The west has absolutely sucked all the rear end that there is to suck.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Penguins just launching Bruins into all the goalies tonight.

It’s working too. By January all teams will have adopted the goalie cannon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was true at 11pm last night, the Ducks/Sharks game wasn't final yet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those are different people.

For example, I would never say that second thing because I wouldn't mind if he got hurt. I might say the first because it makes people mad and it's easy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Whatever you think about Auston Matthews' bravery, fortitude, testosterone levels or testicle size, he is objectively a large man.

He's a huge bitch. Get it right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Poor other Ranger who wasn’t even involved got his brain smushed for no good reason on that too.

Schneider/Greer was not much of anything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...Why? He's not even good.

He's a 4th round draft pick.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I get that someone is very different at 14 than they are as an adult but the stuff he did is just so beyond the pale that I don't think he deserves a second chance.

It actually started at 14 and continued until he was 16. Then at 18 he lied about having apologized to the family.

I'm sure after this latest 2 year period though...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

the fans found out he wasn't a racist bully

I know this was supposed to be a joke, but he actually was.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not watching, is Sweeney trying to hint someone made him do it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fermun posted:

I'd be shocked if he doesn't get claimed, he made a huge impact in the offseason last year
https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/1588595873616797696

Which kind(s) of people does he hate?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

It cracks me up that Ovie gets flak for the Putin stuff and Panarin skates scott free for his support of a crypto-nazi.

But that aligns with the last 70 years of western history so it makes sense.

This is a ban now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s exactly what the cop says to the master criminal they secured a temporary release for because they need his help.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Has he posted support beyond the freedom thing? Because everyone was doing that without knowing the guy's actual politics, just because it was yet another opponent Putin jailed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His IG profile photo is still them hanging out and he told the team no when they asked him to change it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's not going to kill the guy's family for the completely empty gesture of changing his Instagram profile photo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s not a moral high ground in Canada, it’s just because it’s on top of a mountain of children’s graves.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wonder if this makes it an invalid contract then?

He was signed to an NHL ELC, not an AHL specific contract.

It would be weird if you can sign a guy ineligible to play to an NHL contract still, even if you're playing him on a farm team.

Hand Knit posted:

Yes, of course. But my post was also just trying to move along the topic of discussion. Very subtly.

As a first generation immigrant living in a different country than my birth and therefore without original sin, I can say that the Ovechkin situation is clearly different. There certainly are people who are more comparable to him in the NHL, and on this site. Probably not in this thread though. Not regularly, anyway.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 5, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Geech posted:

What exactly would the Bruins need to do if they wanted to back out of this? Buy out Mitchell's contract?

If the contract is valid, a mutual buyout would be the only option I guess?

They can't do a team initiated one because there's a specific period in the season when you can do those and we're passed that.

But the ink on the paper means he's getting money no matter what, I imagine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I really want to know Sweeny's thought process when signing this dude since literally everybody else was telling him not to. Were there no other AHL pluggers he could go after instead?

Everyone except his boss.

Jacobs has to get rid of Neely and Sweeney now. There's no other option.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Dirty Burger posted:

e: reading some replies, most of his volunteering mentioned here was court-ordered lmao

A literal Office joke.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Still need to fire Neely and Sweeney, Jacobs.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 7, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It wasn’t an AHL contract, they were just assigning him there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Capfriendly says the Miller contract was registered, and they're not even sure what the procedure here is.

I think the only thing that can end a contract right now is a mutual termination, which would mean he doesn't get paid. Since they already knew what he did when they signed it they can't use that as a reason to turf him. Maybe there's a secret take backsies clause we don't know about.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 7, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

I wonder if the NHLPA would have fought Bettman on the NHL not allowing Miller to play.

They would be required to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WeaponX posted:

https://twitter.com/ConorRyan_93/status/1589659437228490752?s=20&t=tO5hAesHMXigY8hudyMpow

It’s really incredible because on the Ranger-Bruins broadcast they wouldn’t shut the gently caress up about Boston’s player leadership group, how they hold all the other players accountable, have high standards, and how I think it was the HC was surprised to see guys like Bergeron and Marchand speak to the players along side the GM and owners at team events etc etc.

Like if even a fraction of that is true- then any Joe Schmo who watched that broadcast would know better than to sign an extremely controversial prospects without at least including some of those locker room leaders in the conversation. But apparently Neely thought they’d just get over it? I know GMs usually wouldn’t consult players about a minor signing but this was clearly a delicate situation with a locker room that apparently isn’t exactly loosey-goosey.

Well, that's the thing. They did include them, and they said it was a bad idea. Then they did it anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

All available evidence indicates everyone told Cam Neely it was a Bad Idea and Neely did it anyway.

It's either that or Neely's taking a bullet for ownership, but I don't think Bruins ownership has ever been so hands-on as to order such a move. So most likely it was Neely.

I've never seen a General Manager at a new signing press conference say "yeah I'm not so sure this is a good idea" before, and probably never will again.

If Neely doesn't leave the Bruins by next summer Sweeney will. And either way everyone involved will pretend this fiasco had nothing to do with it.

The chances ownership has any involvement in an AHL signing are probably nill.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Schremp Howard posted:

It was a standard NHL entry contract that would make him eligible for the AHL, not an AHL only contract that precludes you from playing in the NHL.

Right but I don't think they go to ownership (beyond for whatever required signatures) on ELC signings meant to fill out the AHL team.

You talk to them when you're handing out $10mil a year, but something like this is probably boring day to day they rubber stamp.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Miller started bullying the other guy in 1st grade. He was brought into juvenile court for a specific incident that happened when he was 14.

After being convicted, it continued for years anyway seemingly only ending when he went to play in the USHL. The town (Sylvania, Ohio) continues to harass the family today. Miller continues not to care about anything except the money he's losing.

Parents, if this sounds like your child and your thought is "my poor boy's future" then remember, many insurance plans cover vasectomies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

big black turnout posted:

Can someone explain who Bedard is and the mechanic through which he can be obtained? I keep seeing a bunch of Sharks fans who want us to be able to pick him up somehow

In Machine City, you have to clear the map before turn 4 or the enemies will kill Melonius.

She will die anyway in a cutscene, but if you did it then in a special encounter after the Valley of Ghosts you meet her son Bedard and need to protect him from a bunch of hawks and other flyers. Eventually he joins you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Dirty Burger posted:

It sucks that this poor kid probably got harrassed by the same people when Arizona drafted Miller, and now that old wound is freshly opened because Cam Neely and his band of dumbasses needed a shiny new d prospect and thought they could ride out the backlash

It’s kind of hosed up that Miller’s agent who lied about his rehabilitation, Eustace King, is a member of the NHLs “Diversity and Inclusion Committee” lol

According to some of the reports, the wound was never given an opportunity to close. The town blames them for Miller.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or Kane being rich and able to afford better lawyers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The offside rule exists because of that time Matt Duchene was literally 6 feet offside.

The stuff that gets called back was perfectly fine before and nobody cared. The Colorado Avalanche ruined hockey.

Also lol no, NHL players have not been taught to respect the line their whole lives. Until they get to the pros there are no resources to manage that well, you cheat the lines all the time. If you're not cheating, you're not trying.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're sister organizations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Give each team a designated cherry picker but they're only onside if it's a tape to tape 3 line pass.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wow. You ruthlessly assassinate one guy without regard for his health and future and everyone turns on you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This was cool.

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/1591621672846921730

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The guy getting up and leaving at 12 seconds is perfect.