Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Naturally the best melee weapon in the game by far is locked to the class that's also the best at guns by far.

The thunder hammer should have a big AoE stagger when firing off the charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

The thunder hammer is fine. It is weaker than other options but it's fine. If you use it incorrectly, it's bad. It murders critical targets and controls hordes. Its weaknesses are possible to account for in your play, and in your choice of ranged weapon. There are more optimal weapons but that doesn't make the hammer bad or unplayable. You are allowed to only play optimally, but you're also allowed to play suboptimally if it's fun (and you aren't doing something so horrible it makes you a liability to your team)

The problem is that it isn't fun to use the hammer, at least for me. Giving up power for fun is a poo poo trade-off, and "it's crappy but it's fun!!!" is precisely when you should buff something, not a reason not to. But that's not even what's happening here, because the hammer isn't fun. It's slow and awkward and doesn't do anything that the evis doesn't do better and faster; the hammer "controls" hordes, but if you were using an evis they'd just be dead instead.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Mendrian posted:

I like darkmass.gg but I really wish it would show me movesets for each weapon. I'm not 14 anymore, I can't memorize attack patterns on weapons when the only textual difference is Mk1 and Mk2.

It's deeply amusing that they went out of their way to show general attack patterns with icons, and then like half the time they're totally wrong.

Also, yes, the "MkII" names are hilariously stupid. They didn't even bother giving them all different nicknames, there are three different swords but they're all called "Devil's Claw"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The best part of the store reroll system is that Zealot has an entire chain of feats that only function if you're using one (1) specific weapon with one (1) specific perk

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Lol forever at buffing the eviscerator and leaving turtolsky heavy sword untouched

No, the sword got buffed:

quote:

Tweaked Turtolsky Mk VI, Mk VII & Mk IX Heavy Swords:
Increased baseline damage armor mod vs. Flak Armour (from 30% to 50%) and Infested (from 75% to 100%) on light attacks.
Increased baseline impact armor mod vs. Flak Armour (from 50% to 75%), Maniacs (from 50% to 75%) and Carapace Armour (from 50% to 75%) on light attacks.
Increased horizontal light attack damage from 25-50 to 35-70, adjusted target follow to match.
Increased diagonal light attack damage from 35-70 to 40-80, adjusted target follow to match.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Diephoon posted:

Still no reason to play Ogryn over my Vet who can turn into The Punisher every time I encounter a pack of shooters.

Really all you need to know about class balance in this game is that one class's ultimate is "+50% to all damage for an entire loving minute" while another class has "knock some guys down." One of these charges faster than the other but I bet you can't guess which one

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Kaysette posted:

it'd be really funny if they did a christmas event. a santa hat would look good with my psyker robes.

I measure games by Time to Santa Hat, which is the amount of time after release before the devs discard any semblance of coherency in their setting and visual design and just let you put a loving santa hat on your grimdark psychic supersoldier / righteous elf paladin / whatever

I'm sure a bunch of people are going to interpret that as "time before the devs become cool cats who just want you to have fun," but really it's "time before the devs run out of ideas and resort to the absolute most banal default method of extracting money from you"

There are of course plenty of games where Time to Santa Hat is zero, and given the existence of early access you could argue that it's negative sometimes. I'm guessing six months for Diretide.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Exodee posted:

Rejoice! This bug hasn't been fixed after all :fatshark:

to the stars o7

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A very important aspect of playing Zealot is that you are almost invincible while sliding. Slide everywhere.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

On both Zealot and Psyker I feel like I’m just caddying for the Vets; they do everything important while I run around pointing at ammo and cleaning up stray trash (just to keep myself entertained, of course; they all have power swords so they’re better than me at melee and ranged and surviving and supporting the team and probably dancing and lacrosse, too)

megane fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 18, 2022

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Psyker should be able to help people up at a distance. You know, brain sorcery or whatever.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You can also turn sideways and mash dodge to the side while quelling (or reloading, for that matter) and you go basically as fast as walking.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

For a game where you're a convict it's super weird there's no scum class.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

I have to say that I've soured a bit on the Atrox axe and knife bleed/crit/roughness build for the Zealot. Just way too much effort to pull off. I don't even want to know what my APM is while playing. After doing more of the other classes, it's just... way too much work for the same result.

Any build that makes we want to install a key repeater thing loses a lot of points in my book.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Utterly hilarious that Zealot - the melee class that lives on toughness regen - has to spend an entire feat to get +50% toughness on melee kill, and the Veteran - the ranged class that can kill anything from a mile away - just gets that built into their class for free

e: Oh and it's a percentage, so I guess what this really means is:
  • Baseline Zealot gets 5 toughness on melee kill
  • Zealot with perk gets 7.5
  • Veteran gets 15, no need to spend a perk

megane fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 21, 2022

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I tried it out in the Psykhanium (on Malice difficulty) and the revved-up heavy attack is not one-hitting the Rager. :(

It might be the Shredder stat, yeah, that determines how much damage the rev adds. But I get by without one-shotting them; the stun is long enough that you can just rev it again and finish them with the second attack.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The problem is that we do like popping heads. The second-to-second gameplay is fun. But I would very much like a wider variety of heads. This game has a whopping three environments - dank underground techruins, sandy sunny techruins, and shiny affluent techruins - and what, maybe a dozen enemies? There is one boss in this game. One. One single, solitary boss. For the entire loving game. ONE. And he's not even like a cool giant demon that you fight in space or a chaos marine or something, he's a nameless nerd in scrap armor with a gun that you fight in a literal loving train station.

e: I remember when I first did the data-interrogator minigame I was like: "well, that was sort of simplistic, but it's a neat idea to put in minigames like this, I wonder what other ones there are?" And when the VAs started taking about a daemonic infestation up ahead, I was like: "whoa, I bet this game has lots of cool gribbly Nurgle demons we get to fight in it, oh boy"

megane fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 26, 2022

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I once got knocked back in such a way that I ended up hanging off of a roof an entire story up from where I was. The team managed to find a way up there, but they still couldn't rescue me for whatever reason.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Are poxwalkers considered dregs for the purposes of weekly challenges? Or are they their own thing altogether?

Based on Penances, there are three factions: dregs, scabs, and terrors of the warp. Poxwalkers are terrors.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The effectiveness of weapons and armor in 40K is determined primarily by which side the current author likes more.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Nurgle can be cool but they left out all the cool bits of Nurgle's forces

megane
Jun 20, 2008

ChickenHeart posted:

give me nurglings or give me death

I want nurglings and I also want a special push animation where you just punt them into the nearest wall

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Trauma should launch everything into the air in a humorous manner

megane
Jun 20, 2008

ijyt posted:

e: Okay and the lacklustre story so far, where is Dan Abnett's stuff because it sure as hell wasn't in the cutscenes with the rando zealot. :nsamad:

My first level 30 was my female zealot so I thought it was at least kinda neat that they made the traitor match my character! Like, they went to this little bit of trouble to say: yes, this heretic is much like you, player, there but for the grace of the Emperor etc. etc.

But no actually it's the same lady zealot regardless, trombones.aiff

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I am 100% on board with playing the game entirely for fun; I still play Nuclear Throne and I unlocked literally everything in that game years ago. But if you want me to play like that, your game has to have enough content that I want to. You need a ton of weapons or classes or levels or enemy types or boss types to give some variety to the gameplay. Peferably, all of the above. This game has:

• A tiny pool of weapons, 90% of which are generic rifles or melee sticks differentiated only by having 0.05% more fire rate or slightly different combo patterns. If you lump together all the generic ones, there are probably a dozen actually-distinct weapon types.
  • Four classes, and they're not even that different outside of the ogryn.
  • What, 8 missions now? And even then, they share three visual environments, you could count the number of different objective types on one hand, and they all have exactly the same enemy rosters, because:
  • There are like 20 enemies in the entire game, and half of them are just "normal human dude with/without gun."
  • One boss, and it's utter poo poo. It just blows my mind that "make one (1) decent boss" wasn't considered a blocker for release.
I've played this game for like 50 hours and I have seen and heard every single thing in it a hundred times. That's the problem for me: not the lack of progression, not the shop, not the dummied-out crafting, but the suffocating dearth of variety. Fixing that other poo poo would ultimately just be papering over this flaw, in my eyes.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Fixed a bug that was causing Brain Burst do deal damage to the target instead of the user.

Fixed an issue where Psykers could equip and use force staves. Staves can now be equipped by Veterans only, as intended.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think it's entirely possible to make the characters interesting and memorable without their being specific named people.

They didn't really do a great job of it, but it's possible.

e: I think the Zealots and Ogryns stand out pretty well. Veterans are all the same, Psykers are just "the one who says beloved in literally every line" and "the ones that don't say beloved"

megane fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 29, 2023

megane
Jun 20, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

Why on earth would you want to hear generic context-less banalities repeatedly than actual relationship-derived writing repeatedly.

I’d rather have neither, but this is 2023, where if your character doesn’t play a voice line every 3 seconds you’re losing out on twitch views or something

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I think all the classes have a term for each of the other classes which is the same regardless of personality.

Psykers call another psyker "sibling", ogryn "sweet brute," zealot "fanatic," and veteran "roughneck."
Ogryns call another ogryn "pal," psykers "sparkhead," zealot "shouty," and veteran "boss."
Zealots call another zealot..."pilgrim" I think? Psykers "witch," ogryn "slab," and veteran "templar."
Veterans call the ogryn "big man" and I dunno what else, everything they say just rolls off my brain like water

There are a few variations between the personalities. The British-sounding Ogryn calls Veterans "Sah," for example. And my Zealot calls other Zealots "guardian," I think.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Mine is named Cupcake

megane
Jun 20, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

"Different potential" sounds like a dishonestly positive way of framing stat variance. It makes it sound like your gun with half the possible damage roll is still worthwhile, and simply has "different potential". The gun's potential is different, because it is worse. In practice, I think most guns will have one or two optimal distributions, and the rest are just trash fodder to gum up your drops and make it take longer to get what you actually want.
Every game with random gear makes this exact mistake and it's kind of tiring. They make "basic effectiveness as a weapon" a stat and then scoff when we ignore the others.

e: Or they make 5 different stats that all boil down to "it does a bit more damage" said in slightly different ways and then scoff when we don't care about the distinction

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Psyker started out the weakest class by far and has received like three straight patches of nerfs

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A cameo by the famous "updog"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Brain burst could do 300% more damage and it would still be mediocre, that's how crap it is.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It’s an easy mistake to make since they have similar names, but you can tell them apart because one is a veteran weapon and therefore the best melee weapon in the game for any class by miles, while the other is a psyker weapon and therefore worthless trash

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yes, the Veteran Marksman, the class that is supposed to be focused on ranged damage and does more ranged damage than any 3 of the other classes combined, gets a weapon that makes them also better than every other class at melee, that is correct.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Darktide is a game with guns in it, it's required by law to have twenty nigh-identical automatic rifles so people can have screaming thirty-page-long arguments on the internet about whether the one with 282 damage and a 0.055 refire time is better than the one with 277 damage and a 0.051 refire time.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Imperium encompasses a million worlds but 999,982 of them are the same dull grey urban sprawl with skulls painted in random places

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I gave up on the hammer as too klunky to use, but the buffs make me want to give it another try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

+6% reload speed for 2 seconds after sliding