Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Internet Explorer posted:

I was going to make a post complaining about the grim/tome mechanic somehow being more aggravating and tedious than in VT2, but instead I'll just share that I now roleplay an Ogryn who can't read and only sometimes stumbles upon books.

I'm a pious Ogryn, only read scriptures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

it does make the "ineffectual" noise. it does more damage than spamming heavy melee attacks from most ogryn weapons, and significantly more DPS than most "plink"/blue spark hits tend to. it's not amazing, as it will take about a full magazine to kill a 5* crusher with a 400-425ish stubber, but it's better than the vast majority of ogryn weapons.

they don't really do anything you can't do better with the stubber, based on my own attempts to use them at high levels. that said:

there are actually three different models of ripper gun, and (AFAICT) the only difference between them is how many shots they fire in a single burst, 2 or 3. (it's a different number for braced and snapshot, too.) i don't think there's a best one but the VI fires two shots on a snapshot and three on ADS and that's the nicest i think. it might be that one of them is secretly statistically better than the others, i'm not sure.

as for blessings, there seem like three different groups.

there are the magdump blessings, blaze away (more power on continuous fire), cavalcade (more crit on continuous fire), and flechette (crits add a stack of bleed). i don't know exactly how much more damage these are, but it seems to me like one of them is going to always be better than the other. don't expect flechette to give you meaningful DR from the DR talent, and a flechette ripper gun was not good enough to do realistic damage to a crusher when i tested it, but maybe flechette with an extra crit perk or cavalcade/flechette might turn out to be good. these seem like the best choice to me at a glance but i haven't tested them thoroughly. then again, i'm not sure that the ripper gun's strength is MAXIMUM DAMAGE rather than quickly suppressing or knocking down all of the shooters in a general direction.

there are the close range blessings. born in blood gives toughness on close-ranged kills, and fire frenzy gives extra power after close-ranged kills. these tend to be surprisingly useful because while you mainly want to be shooting things at at least mid-range, oftentimes there's one walker who just sort of blunders into the line of fire or tries to sneak up behind you, or maybe you can just tweak your aim a bit to clear someone's back at point blank. the toughness seems like it's more useful than the power; the ripper is mainly a suppression weapon anyway in my opinion.

then there's the trash. terrifying barrage suppresses nearby enemies on close-range kill, and seems useless due to really, really short range AFAICT. can opener gives you rending if you melee enemies with your gun. both of these thing make your gun slightly better at doing something your melee does much, much better, or make ripper guns do a small amount of extra damage to enemies that they're still useless against. neither of these are good atm i do not think.

all of this comes with the caveat that i haven't really dug into ripper guns beyond finding them too anemic to get work done even when i had what superficially looked like a good one. there may be some subtlety or build that i'm missing.

The Mark II Ripper has full auto for the braced stance. I actually prefer that, because you can fire one shot at a time to get headshots without the burst recoil or wasting ammo.

I just got an orange-tier Ripper as a Gift from the Emperor, but it's a burst fire model and the perks are sustained-fire based. Does repeated burst fire count as sustained fire for gun perks?

The Ogryn Slab Shield skins have come with a different club:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

aren't all of them full-auto if you brace? i was just basing it on how many shots they fired if you pulled the trigger once; maybe i just have heavy fingers.

I just checked my Mk VI and it's burst-only, it stops firing if you hold down the button. I was slightly wrong about the Mk II, single click is 2 shots but holding it down is full auto. I made a quick vid to show the difference in recoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSvcr_1SMfI

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I take the level 10 ogryn perk to add bonus loot to the box

The description on Bombs Away is a huge lie. It doesn't only work on carapace armoured enemies, it also works on flak armoured normals, most elites (all except the Rager, dog, and Mutie), and all bosses. On unyielding difficulty it can take off nearly 50% of Beast of Nurgle's HP.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

Good to hear. It was one of those bugs was made more infuriating by the fact that it only happened *sometimes*. If it was constant at least then I would be able to just stop trying.

I didn't even realize that was a bug until now, I just assumed there was a game mechanic where letting peril hit 100% had a low chance of killing you instantly. :dumbgun:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

If the vet can't shoot through the Ogryn he can pick up a voidstaff or stop whining.

I cannot reiterate how much this game needs to let you pick your class & loadout during the ready screen or load-in screen so you aren't the lone vet trying to shoot enemies through the armpits of 3 Ogryns or the lone purgatus staff psyker in a team with 3 flamethrower priests.

Yeah. You actually can change gear on the ready screen, but I usually quick-join and only see that screen briefly if ever. I think it would be better if you could swap gear while still in drop-off area. Not sure how to handle it for joining mid-round though.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Yeah, one I have this week is "Complete 6 objectives in Hab Dreyko". I've played several missions and Hab Dreyko hasn't appeared on the list at any difficulty level. And I got that after multiple re-rolls of collect 25 grimiores/scriptures. A lot of my ordo dockets go to re-rolls so I have a few that I'll actually have time to complete in a week.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

I skipped a cutscene while there was a slow-motion effect happening, and animations got stuck in slow motion until I restarted the game.

https://i.imgur.com/icskwGm.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/bT3oatk.mp4

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

haldolium posted:

yeah missed them indeed, now the scoreboard is working too. Without the dependencies only pickup UI worked, which is also pretty neat

and the video is a bit of overkill, the 4 lines of instructions from the mod discord are all thats needed

If you have the gamepass version there's an additional step because the patcher only checks for the Steam directory. You need to either change the .bat file or replace the .exe with an updated version from github.

code:
@echo off
start .\tools\dtkit-patch.exe
to

code:
@echo off
start .\tools\dtkit-patch.exe --patch "C:\XboxGames\Warhammer 40,000- Darktide\Content\bundle"
pause
exit
Change the drive letter/path game installed on a different drive.

Defender nuked the updated exe when I downloaded it so I just changed the .bat file.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

What is the load order needed to get the scoreboard working? I've got the pickup UI and lobby hotkeys working just fine, but I can't get that one going.

I think you just need to have the dependencies first, here's my load order:
dmf
ui_extension
animation_events
scoreboard
hub_hotkey_menus
Healthbars
PingMonitor
PreviewCosmetics

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 26, 2023

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Here's the notes for the new patch.

quote:

Rejects,

Here are the patch notes for patch #5 that just went live on Steam, and will be available shortly on Microsoft Store.
New & Updated Features

We added a small notification for when Strike Team members pick up Plasteel or Diamantine during gameplay. A chime will play, and an onscreen message will show who picked up the resource and what it was.

The total collected resources during the mission will be visible in the Tactical Overlay (Default keymap: Tab).
Classes

Skullbreaker

Feat: Payback Time
“When an enemy damages you, gain 20% damage against enemies of the same type for 5s.” has been changed to “When an enemy damages you with a melee attack, gain +20% damage for 5s”
Feat: Lead the Charge
Now also grants Stun Immunity and Suppression Immunity to allies for the duration of the buff.

Psykinetic

Feat: Warp Unleashed
Damage Bonus increased: from 5-15% to 10-25%.
Feat: Wrack and Ruin
Increased stacks of Soulblaze applied as well as the radius: Stacks: 2 → 3 Radius: 3 meters → 4 meters.

Preacher

Fixed issue where Preacher’s “Until Death” Passive could activate when at 1 health even when the Preacher didn’t take damage.

Blessings

Lorenz Mk V Kickback - Expandable
Melee Power Bonus now also affects your regular melee weapon, not just the Special Action melee attack. The bonus values have been tuned down to account for this, and the duration has been lowered slightly (4s → 3.5s).

Dev note -’This should make the blessing much more useful and fill a similar role as the human Stub Revolver Point Blank Blessing.’

Flamer - Quickflame
Increased reload speed bonus gained from the Blessing “Quickflame” on all tiers:
Tier 1: 5% → 18%
Tier 2: 7.5% → 20%
Tier 3: 10% → 22%
Tier 4: 12.5% → 24%

Dev note - ‘This change was to bring “Quickflame” in line with the other blessings. We have our eyes on the Flamer, as it might be a little strong, and we are considering some changes in an upcoming patch’.

“Savage Sweep” Blessing
Fixed a bug where the Munitorum Mk III Power Sword didn’t show the correct values in the description text
Fixed an issue where the Tier 4 Blessing didn’t give players 50% as intended.

Fixed an issue where the Blessing “Thrust” would not give out the maximum bonus on various weapons.

Fixed hit marker for the blessing “Haymaker.”

Weapons

Fixed a visual effect bug for Helbore Lasguns that occurred when switching to a grenade while charging a shot.
Fixed a bug where you sometimes couldn’t switch to the Grenade Box when using the Blastoom Mk III Grenadier Gauntlet due to missing chain actions.
Fixed a bug where the wrong stat name was shown on the Locke Mk IIb Spearhead Boltgun.
Fixed a bug where Bull Butcher Mk III Cleaver and human Combat Axes dealt incorrect damage vs Maniac on some light attacks.
Fixed a bug on Catachan Mk III Combat Blade where the push follow-up attack could be canceled by other attacks.
Fixed a bug on Orestes Mk IV Assault Chainaxe that caused an unwanted delay on heavy attacks if you combo into them from a push follow-up attack.
Fixed an issue from 1.0.30 that made it impossible to manually turn off revved Eviscerators and Chainaxes.

Item Acquisition

Emperor’s Gift for Heresy and Damnation missions will now see an increase in the Sanctity (rarity) of the item gifted. At Level 30, players who play at Heresy will no longer see a Redeemed (green) item. This applies to Weapons and Curios.
For characters at level 30, you will no longer see a weapon with a base rating of under 300 from the Armoury Exchange, Sire Melk’s Requisitorium, or through the Emperor’s Gift.

Shrine of the Omnissiah

Lowered the amount of Plasteel required to consecrate to Transcendent Sanctity in the Shrine. At the maximum item rating of 380, 700 Plasteel is now required (previously 800). Note that the item rating cost scaling will still apply for lower ratings.
The cost of shrine actions (Consecrate, Re-Bless) now have the order of ‘Plasteel, Diamantine’ to follow the consistency of the ordering in your acquired total currencies.
When you do not have enough Diamantine or Plasteel to perform the selected action in the shrine, the cost will now be shaded red.
After proceeding with an action in the shrine, the item list will scroll back to the last selected item that was acted upon.

Fixes and Tweaks

Improved quality of several localized texts.
Resolved a few miscellaneous typos found in some texts throughout the game.
Further improved clarity on some items through their texts.
The sorting of your loadout inventory will no longer show you items that have been bartered and are no longer available.
Added missing text for the Private Mode functionality in the mission board.
Made changes to the emote wheel to resolve issues in selecting an emote to animate with. It was difficult to navigate with a mouse when moving between the gaps.
Resolved an issue where the wrong weapon skin or trinket would sometimes be shown on the preview in the weapon card/list entry after it had been changed.
The “locked by Trust Level” text within Brunt’s Armoury has been brought forward in layers; it was previously behind the texture, making the text hard to read.

Stability

Resolved a crash surrounding the inspection of cosmetic items inside the Armoury Exchange or Commodore’s Vestures.
Isolated and resolved a case of a rare crash that would occur when switching between Loadout/Cosmetic/Feats views.
Resolved a crash that was caused by changing portrait frames via loadouts.
Fixed an issue that could cause a server and/or client crash by successfully dodging 16 attacks in a row.
Optimized network data when creating liquid effects such as Grenadier/Flamer fire, Beast of Nurgle slime, or fire barrels.
Fixed a disconnect issue that could occur when attacking a large number of enemies in a short amount of time.

Just played a few rounds and the new pickup notifications seem to be driving people to look around more for materials.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

I like how the new Ogryn big-boy grenade looks like an American football/Rugby ball.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Evil Kit posted:

The main twitter account has explicitly stated that October 3rd is when the Xbox release is slated for and I'm hoping beyond hope they release this patch at the same time.

The email newsletter implies they'll be at the same time

quote:

The Xbox release will include Darktide's most significant update yet, overhauling the class & feat systems and introducing talent trees. These changes will give players significantly more freedom in creating unique builds and playstyles.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

I've been having the opposite problem to people rushing - people insisting on backtracking to use leftover medicae charges. By the time you deal with the additional wave(s) of enemies the team is usually in a worse overall ammo/health situation than if we had just pushed forward. I normally play on high intensity or maelstrom missions where that's doubly true.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

I joined a maelstrom game with a couple people down and saved the day with the big Ogryn grenade. :hellyeah: The Gunner Ogryn skill tree synergises well with my heavy stubber that has charmed reload and toughness regen on sustained fire. I'm basically invinvible while firing, and I can keep firing for a looong time.

When you return to the Morning Star after a mission you spawn next to the mission board now instead of the normal spawn point.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

why does loving Force Lightning suck so much rear end

granted i'm level 9 but still, criminey this is limpwristed garbo especially compared to the crystals

It's meant for stunlocking large groups of enemies for teammates to clean up. Unfortunately a lot of players don't seem to realize that and just stare at the enemies being zapped, waiting for them to die. The Empowered Psionics keystone (lvl 30 skill) is currently bugged and makes force lightning cost 0 peril.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

The track used in the trailer is Warp Traveler from the OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWD4K1WFICs

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Thirsty Dog posted:

Gah, I'm crashing every time I try and view cosmetics on my character. Is there any way to know what mod might be causing this? Also is there any way to automatically update mods or do I need to do them all manually?

You'll probably need to try disabling them one at a time. Some can be disabled from their in-game menu, others need to be removed from the load order file. Darkcache would be a good one to check first.

Vortex support for Darktide is in beta now, but I haven't tried it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

To use mods on linux you have to build the DT mod enabler project from GitHub yourself to get a bash script version of the patcher.