Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Insert name here posted:

I haven't checked in a while to see if they bothered to change it but it used to straight up mislead you about how toughness works: It would say that you take toughness damage before health damage, then sticks a ranged enemy in front of you and has it shoot your toughness off. Now that is how toughness against ranged works... but crucially the tutorial does not specify ranged, and does not tell you how toughness versus melee damage works, so without any prior knowledge it's easy to assume your toughness would absorb melee hits as well in the same way.

What do you mean? I haven't noticed any difference in how toughness works with melee vs ranged attacks.

Internet Explorer posted:

The Ogryn shield never really clicked for me, but I've finally found blessings/perks and a build that works for me. It's a lot of fun! Now if I can only find a "sidearm-like" setup to use with my Bull Butcher build that doesn't suck to use. I'm trying to like the Kickback, but I'm struggling. The Revolver on my Zealot has really spoiled me.

IMO the real magic in the shield comes from its heavy attack. Extremely wide cleaving swing in front of you, basically hits everything 180 degrees, high stagger, and does plenty of damage. Load up on all the heavy attack related talents and just chain heavies all day, you won't be disappointed.

Regarding the bull butcher, I find the heavy stubber guns to be a good complement. They're strong against pretty much everything that the cleaver isn't, and don't really need a lot of love from the talent tree to be effective (though I guess you could say that about most of the Ogryn ranged weapons, now that I think about it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

Melee damage to toughness is both straightforward but sounds confusing when you first hear it:

If you have full (100% or more) toughness when you take a melee hit, you take 0% damage from that attack. If you have 75% of your toughness, you'll take 25% of the damage from the same melee attack. It scales down from there linearly, the less % of your toughness bar you have the more damage bleed-through a melee attack will deal to you until you have 0 toughness and take 100% of the damage the melee attack would do. That's why three pox walkers or bruisers hitting you simultaneously deals a shitload of damage.

There are two exceptions, Crushers and Maulers both ignore this mechanic and deal bleed-through damage regardless of how much toughness you have.

Oh interesting, I guess my toughness tends to fluctuate so much when I'm in the thick of things that I've never been able to pay close attention to what exactly is going on with it.

RE things that should have been explained in the tutorial: weapon attributes! You can hover over them to see what they actually do, and what they actually do is important. Finesse probably doesn't do what you think it does (assuming something called "finesse" in a video game makes you think of something in particular in the first place).

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Honestly, I've probably killed more snipers with this thing than anything else

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

quote:

Catachan Mk III Combat Blade
Increased base power of weapon special jab attack from 150 to 500. Adjusted to attack damage and impact distribution accordingly. Overall this will increase both damage and impact of the attack compared to before.
What is this referring to? The special action on the combat blade is a high-stagger punch with the off hand, and the block-attack is an overhead swing. Are they talking about the heavy attacks? 150 to 500 is a huge damage increase, whatever it is.

e:

quote:

Lucius Helbore Lasguns
You can now hold the primary action button to continuously shoot with Helbore lasguns while in ADS.
This makes it sound like they're full auto now, but that's definitely not the case. If you hold the button long enough (like 4-5s) while in ADS it'll eventually fire on its own, but I think that's how it always worked? Not sure what they changed here.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 5, 2023

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Power is a different stat that also affects damage and stagger. Basically they jacked that up to make the jab do more stagger, and then adjusted the damage down to compensate (resulting in a small net increase in damage, but mostly the big stagger buff they wanted.)

Sure, but what "jab" are they talking about? They said this applies to the "weapon special jab attack" but that isn't a good description of any specific attack that the combat blade has.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

the combat blade special attack is a straight jab from the reject's left hand. It also helpfully gives you a free heavy attack with your next attack, makes heavies much easier to spam.

Ok, I'm dumb. By "jab" I thought they meant a stab from the knife, not like a boxing jab. It just now occurs to me that that's probably the more common definition of the term.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
From Software game where you play as the Chosen Scab Mauler

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I solo'd a daemonhost just by parrying it with my Devil's Claw last night. Sorry for the stupid brag, but goddamn that was an exhilarating gaming moment. It was only Heresy difficulty, not sure if such a thing would be possible on Damnation.

TaurusTorus posted:

Anyone else having a problem with the first hit of the new eviscerator hanging sometimes? It feels like it randomly hangs for about a second, leading to me getting hit way more than I intend. It happens with light, heavy, revved, unrevved.

I played a few games with it and didn't notice a problem like this. It's a slower weapon than I prefer, but the left click spam for horde clearing is excellent.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 8, 2023

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I feel like I'm getting a better handle on being a Psyker since I picked up Assail but I'm struggling to pick a ranged weapon that I like. Any pointers or suggestions?
I love the idea of a force staff but I'm sure I am going to kill myself via the warp if I'm chucking all the assail shards as well

I don't think anyone mentioned this, but Venting Shriek and Psykinetic's Wrath will save you from dying to peril overload if you pop them while the death animation is going. If you've just unlocked Assail, then you haven't gotten to your combat ability yet, so you have the default Psykinetic's Wrath. It can kinda serve as training wheels if you're worried about peril.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

What does the little plus icon do on the talent screen?

Kibayasu posted:

On the talent screen nothing as far as I know. It’s for equipment loadouts.

I wish it did change talents though.

The wargear sets store everything; equipment, talents, even cosmetics. Especially useful since the talent tree update. It would be absolute hell to respec talents every time I want to play a different build.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

I tried multiple times to change talents with it. Did I get the order of operations wrong or something? I was doing it with a friend and they couldn’t figure it out either.

Can't say what you're doing wrong if you don't explain what you did. I guess try creating two loadouts, choose different talents for each of them, then switch back and forth and you'll see the differences. Note that when you create a new loadout, it copies the one you're currently on.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
It's kind of weird how Fatshark thought it was necessary to aggressively gatekeep weapons and skills with player levels, but at the same time you can be level 1 and hop right into an auric maelstrom damnation, no questions asked.

Honestly, the game shouldn't even have a level up system in my opinion. The more I think about it, the more I realize that it adds nothing to the game other than frustration and tedium for new players (or not-new players who made a new character). Especially egregious for Psykers who don't even get access to a staff until level 7. This isn't an MMO. What's the point of this crap?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

Can you? I thought it was greyed out until lvl 30

Actually, you're right. I just checked and the auric missions require level 30. However, the non-auric damnation missions only require level 15, and heresy missions require level 9. I'm sorry, but I don't want someone who's level 9 on my team when I'm playing heresy. Not because the player presumably sucks, but because their character definitely sucks due to missing so many talents.

I guess at least by knowing this, I can avoid the issue just by sticking to auric missions.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
May we all learn to love our jobs as much as the Scab Trapper

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The scoreboard mod is great, if only it weren't for the scores. I love having it for the analytics, so I can track how effective changes to my build are. For anyone using it for that sort of purpose, I highly recommend getting the "improved scoreboard" mod which ditches a lot of the arbitrary score keeping poo poo and focuses more on breaking down the stats, so you can see your crit rate, weakspot hits, etc. Would be cool if it also had stuff like the amount of damage blocked by the Psyker bubble, but I'm guessing that info just isn't available.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

.Z. posted:

Fixed an issue where hair was incorrectly removed when equipping the Psyker “Deimos MK VIA Rebreather” and “Deimos MK VId Rebreather” head gear cosmetics.

The Crusis Sepulturum-Issue Shadowveil still deletes my psyker's beard :mad:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

I rolled a really good Accatran Mk IIa lasgun. This thing is kind of insane and it's a straight upgrade over the standard Mk II. It does the same damage per shot, has the same magazine size, but it fires three times as fast and therefore gets more critical hits. I've got mine loaded up with DumDum and Infernus plus bonus vs flak and it obliterates hordes and everything short of a Mauler Ogryn. It fires so fast that if you aim down sights you can drop a poxburster in a single volley if you land the headshots.

Are you talking about the Mk VId? There are three Accatran Recon Lasguns: the Mk VIIa, the Mk II, and the Mk VId.

The VIIa is the heavy hitter (relatively speaking), with the highest damager per shot and lowest attack speed (7.69/s). The II is the awkward middle child with reduced damage and faster fire rate (11.11/s). The VId is the fast one of the bunch and strangely has the same damage range as the II but also a significantly faster fire rate (16.67/s).

The II has some better numbers against infested and unarmoured, but the VId has better mobility stats.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

DogsInSpace! posted:

I love these recon guns and have used them as much as I can. The mark 2 is ok but definitely feels like a downgrade to either the 6 or 7a. I ended up trashing the mk II for the perk. For me, at least, the 6 is the preferred. I love its rate of fire. Love it. Tons of ammo and tons of backup; especially with ammo aura and that crits don’t expend las ammo. Absolutely melts most specials and trash mobs and its ROF makes hip firing a breeze. Only criticism is las sucks against armoured guys. IF you are forced to shoot a mauler it’s gonna be a full mag and change. Better to chainsword him. Crushers, maulers and bulwarks will be its bane. Everything else is cake. So much ammo that if you see someone wandered and surrounded by mobs you can cut some trash and not feel bad. If you play right you can go a whole map without picking up ammo. Large magazine size means you also don’t reload often.

I’ve been praising the 6 because it is my favourite but the 7a is still good. It’s a very satisfying weapon but the 6 is mini flashlight gun death. I still feel a little guilty taking it in Damnation and if nobody has a plasma but it’s so much fun. It’s what I imagined lasguns on full auto would actually be like. No kick and accurate as hell. Easy to headshot multiple gunners and shotties. Snipers behind some trash mobs? No problem. Pew pew dakka dakka.

Agreed, even knowing that my numbers won't stack up compared to more meta choices, I still take my VId into fights every now and then just because it's such a fun weapon. You can actually take down armored targets surprisingly quickly if you're willing to branch down into both Rending Strikes and Onslaught. Add Bring It Down to the mix and you'll be killing Crushers with less than half a mag on damnation. You won't have room for a Keystone, but they kinda suck anyway.

I'm pretty sure "close range" status is still bugged (it's only active up to 8m rather than 15m), so be wary of that when you take Dum Dum or Deathsplitter.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Cretin90 posted:

How are the kantreal lasguns? I enjoy the revolver and plasma gun but sometimes it’s just really fun to roleplay as a guardsman grunt with a lasgun and a chainsword and a dream. I have little experience with the kantreals except people saying the 12 is good and ammo efficient.

The Mk XII was king poo poo back in the old days, but buffs to autoguns and enemy stats have left all 3 of the Kantraels behind. IIRC the Ia (the middle one) received a damage buff a while back that brought its damage close to the heavy XII without sacrificing attack speed, making it the strongest of the series, but it's still not great. Decent special killer I guess, but if you're coming from the revolver or the plasma rifle you're going to miss how many shots it takes to bring something down.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Cretin90 posted:

I decided to try out the 12 in the Psykanium and I don't think the fire rate is for me. The 44% stability roll wasn't doing it any favors either, but if Im shooting that slowly I like to do more than 30 damage to carapace. Revolvers and plasma guns really gently caress up the other guns in this game, it's hard to go from weapons with no target weaknesses to weapons with very obvious target weaknesses. Im trying out the Columnus instead. Crafted a really good (base stats) one at Brunt and I like the weapon dynamics. I'll just have to keep my Krak grenades close.

Try the Ia :)

Try the VId :twisted:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
There are definitely times when I feel like I have to just play my bubble/smite psyker because everyone else on the server wants to be a renegade shooty man who pays no attention to his friends

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

found the problem

Oh poo poo, that's what I do. Not sure how I feel about moving to Stockholm though.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Don't worry, reddit has us covered on this one :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/8pb5vk/ogryn_worlds_and_ogryn_females/ posted:

Ogryn worlds and Ogryn Females.

So one thing I thought was weird when they mentioned Ogryn worlds is that they are high gravity wastelands with barely any food on them...

Okay... high gravity planets with no food on them would make humans smaller and stronger... like Squats, but then two other things were mentioned.

Megaflora and specifically megaflora living undergraound so dangerous Ogryn don't go there. This could mean that the underground part of Ogryn worlds is unusually seismically active providing ample energy for some thermaly-based pseudo-photosynthesis proving ample amount of food for underground life.

Meanwhile the surface megafauna are the weaklings which had to escape to the barren wasteland. Kinda how many extinct animal species have relatives in alien and barren einviroments on earth. (Australia)

This would explain the possibility of an Ogryn having enough food to grow that ridicously large.
Ogryn females. I can't find any mention of them anywhere except some weird fancreations which make them look like characters from Steven Universe... so what do I know about them so far?

They seem to not be used by the Imperial Guards, the Sisters of Silence or Adeptus Sororitas.

They also live on Ogryn worlds.

They have to be able to survive there while carrying out a pregnancy resulting in the birth of an Ogryn. And a lot of pregnancies as Ogryn probably die a lot.

There is the option that female Ogryn look exactly like male Ogryn and they simply do serve... but noone noticed...

As such I noticed a weird thing about Ogryn. They have stumpy bodes. They are stupid yet they have large heads and more childlike proportions. This is called neotony essentially having childlike features stay with you longer. By any acouts the Ogryn head should be smaller not bigger or it should be shaped like a cone with a huge mouth and small rest. Meanwhile they made it even bigger without loosing the flatness of the face even though an elongated face is better for biting. Their nails also don't seem to have evolved into claws or anything.

So now for my theory, which while crazy... makes kinda sense. What if female Ogryn are not made for combat at all? Essentially if we compare leangth of pregnancy of different mammals and keep in mind that human ones are unusually long for our size I'd say that an Ogryn pregnancy lasts between 2 and 3 years. Meaning that if we assume medium death rates and a birth rate of 5 per Ogryn couple then that means that an Ogryn female spends at least 10 years in a state of constant pregnancy and probably with 1-2 year breaks between those pregnancies. As such Ogryn females in especially hard enviroments need to be nearly constantly protected by the males and probably are also traded as a resource if the tribe loses... and you see if we know anything of ancinet humans it's that if a tribe conquered another and took their women they took the pretty ones and killed the rest... neotemous traits tend to evoke feeling of compassion and are often more attractive to males. As such I think that it is reasonable to speculate that female Ogryns are tall "lolis", or at least look like tall pretten girls with a somewhat more massive build, but still not appearing hideous to a human.

Are there any records of Ogryn being attracted to normal human females?

If yes that in all certainty would indicate that they don't have an alien sense of beuty and that their females might look simmilar.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I went to reddit to see what they were talking about and left with this gem:

It's like using your turn signal on the freeway

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Right but the patch note doesn’t say shotgunners. Do regular dudes with guns give knockback? I can’t say I’ve noticed but maybe it just needs enough volume.

Pretty sure this is just a change for the little guys. And yeah, they had a small bit of knockback on their shots.

Fishstick posted:

This has always been the case on lower difficulties though, did they change it?

And more importantly, did they change it intentionally

Perhaps a clue to these mysteries lies somewhere within the patch notes themselves ;)

https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/patch-17-notes-live-now/91924 posted:

Changed the number of players the Daemonhost kills before leaving to 1 across all difficulties.
Dev Note: This change is to address the frustration of teammates waking up Daemonhosts, also causing innocent players to die from it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

lol having only played the game with this on, I can now look down my nose smdh upon the quivering noobs who need it removed

Hasn't everyone only played with this on, up until this point?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Will a elite gunner or reaper still be able to keep a zealot in purgatory where they can't get close enough to get in melee range due to constant knockback while they fire?

*activates Shroudfield*

Sorry, what were you saying? :smuggo:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Someone did recently point out that they were looking for a build engineer lol

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah I'm pretty sure the vast majority of players play without any mods at all, so saying the game is "unplayable" without a long list of them is a bit silly.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Legit Businessman posted:

Sounds like someone who hasn't used mods in the game. They are pretty great! The water's warm and inviting and tech heresy is only a minor sin in the eyes of the Emperor.

Actually I'm the only one out of my standard group of 4 who uses mods. I agree they can be pretty great, but saying the game is unplayable without them is dumb.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

Apparently the changes that Fatshark did to Lucky Bullet means that it now procs when you press the 'fire' button, whether or not you actually have ammo or are capable of firing. So people are going in with Rumbler/Kickback, empty their ammo stockpile and then binding 'fire' to mousewheel and just spinning it to great success.

Just tried this out in the Psykhanium. Constantly spinning the mouse wheel like a madman threw off my aim, but still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoOonQfZZTM

:haw:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

tangy yet delightful posted:

I probably won't bother to set this up, also don't even know if I have the Lucky Bullet blessing, but my mousewheel can free spin if I click a button (G502) so it would be absolutely insane....honestly the biggest reason I won't do this is I expect a hotfix patch the day after I do it.

Yeah, that's what I was doing in the video. If you leave your wheel on clicky mode it's a lot harder to get a good rapid fire going.

Lucky Bullet isn't a blessing by the way, it's the name of the status buff you get from the keystone talent Burst Limiter Override. As long as you have an Ogryn with enough points to reach a keystone, and literally any Rumbler or Kickback, you can try it out with zero investment.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 27, 2024

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I could never get into the Infantry Autoguns because of their weird burst fire, and the ADS takes up like half the screen.

I've been having a lot of fun lately with the Columnus Braced Autogun. It kind of reminds me of running around with the M16 in L4D. With both Onslaught and Rending Strikes you can take down pretty much anything.

e: My bad, I was thinking of the Headhunter Autoguns. I guess the choice between the Infantry and the Braced mostly comes down to whether you like using iron sights or not, otherwise they're pretty comparable.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 27, 2024

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Not my video, found this on the Fatshark forums. Apparently Voice of Command and Chorus make you invincible to health damage from fire and ranged attacks now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RivAqi_63H0

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
It's hard to really compare the staves to one another because they're all so different. I play with a static group of friends, so I normally make my choice based on our team's loadout.

-Purgatus is the horde control master. If your team's weak point is dealing with large crowds of trash, this is what you need. Avoid if your team is low on accurate ranged attacks for specialists, especially snipers, as this is the only staff that doesn't have a long ranged orb shot for a standard attack.
-Voidstrike is a powerhouse, and very straight forward to use. It honestly doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses and can be effective against pretty much anything, though I'd argue it also doesn't excel at anything in particular. Probably the safest choice if you don't know what the rest of your team is running.
-Trauma is great for disrupting groups of tightly clustered enemies no matter how big and scary they may seem, especially Bulwarks because the vertical attack ignores their shields. Terrible against Ragers and Mutants due to both stun and damage resistance, but you can just run a Mk IV duelling sword for those guys.
-Surge is in a pretty bad place right now imo. It used to be a crit/weakspot king always aiming for the head (and before that it was crowd control), but now it's been nerfed to just do mediocre body hits. It's decent for taking out elites and specialists at medium range, but other than that it's kind of sad. Use it instead of the Voidstrike when you feel like chilling out on a lower difficulty and can't be bothered to aim.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 28, 2024

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Cretin90 posted:

Question goons, how do empowered psionics and kinetic resonance play together?

Let's say we get mobbed by crushers or a plague ogryn and I want to rip out as many BRs as quickly as possible - if I pop my Combat Ability (telekine shield in this case), is the -75% cast time reduction from kinetic resonance stacking with the empowered psionics charges and using up charges for each at the same time (bad) or are they used sequentially so I get a total of 7 quick uses of BR (good)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpL-MrZi2iI

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
My main problem with Brain Burst isn't the speed or the damage, but the targeting. It's just so miserable to use when there are a ton of garbage horde enemies running around. Either give it AOE damage/stun when it overkills, or let us set some kind of target ignore list.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Magitek posted:

Two pieces of advice that eliminates 90% of the frustration when targeting BB:

1) Ping whatever you're trying to kill. This is sound advice at all times on any class, but especially when using BB against a crowd.
2) Place your crosshair just above your target, hold left-click and then move it downward onto your intended victim. Elites and specials typically stand slightly taller than nonelites. If you hit an unintended target, it'll probably be an Ogryn or a different elite... not great, but still acceptable. If you're still having trouble, try jumping as you go to target with BB.

I mean, you pretty much just described what I was talking about when I said it's a miserable experience. It requires all the accuracy and attention of aiming a firearm but it also locks on to the first thing you point it at. The alt fire avoids the lock on but can be instantly and unintentionally retargeted if something jumps in the way. There's pretty much no situation where I would want to hit a pox walker with BB, so it's annoying that this is basically its default action that I have to constantly try to avoid.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

drat, the super high damage auto tracking infinite use damage ability requires some skill to use? smh fatshark.

my sarcastic rear end aside, just like any high damage single shot weapon that requires careful aim to not waste it on an incorrect target, BB takes practice. Even before the overhaul when leveling psyker it took a long while getting used to it, and that was before all the many buffs it's gotten

I'm not saying it's useless or imbalanced, just that it feels really annoying to use when there are lots of small enemies around. I've been playing since launch with Psyker more or less as my main and this has always annoyed me. I don't think it would be overpowered if they made it so that it ignored the chaff, or did something better when used against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

DogsInSpace! posted:

I like this except daemonhosts as those guys suck. Kinda wish they’d drop something or give some special rewards to make them worth it other than “keep the idiot that charged them alive while also taking a mob of specials.”

As much as I actually kind of enjoy fighting the Daemonhosts, I think FS is understandably hesitant to incentivize killing them, because there will be a certain type of player who goes for it every time regardless of how bad the situation is. There would be much weeping and gnashing of teeth among the community.