Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Will Darktide have the same voice cast as Vermintide 2? I kind of want to hear the woman who voices Kerillian without the fake (but endearing) Scottish accent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's awesome about the voice cast. I kind of regret not signing up for the Darktide closed beta, although my computer is in the shitter so I probably wouldn't have been able to play anyway. Good news is I'll be getting a copy of the game bundled with my new graphics card

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oof. I'll be playing with an RTX 3070, hope that's enough get a decent frame rate on the higher settings.

Who am I kidding, as with any multiplayer game I'm just going to end up dropping down to the lowest settings just to squeeze out every frame per second that I can

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I got Darktide bundled with my new graphics card. Played a few matches with some friends, it was fun. More ranged enemies than in Vermintide 2, though, I'll have to get used to not being able to melee everything.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BombiTheZombie posted:

As you get up in difficulty levels, handling ranged mobs quickly becomes crucial. Its not unusual to be pinned by 30+ of the bastards as soon as you enter a room since the game loves spawning in a patrol or two.

Yeah, we were playing on the easiest difficulty, no doubt the higher difficulties would kick our asses at this point.

Character progression won't carry over to the full release, right? I'm not too bothered either way, just want to know how much effort I should be putting into customizing my character(s).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Edit: Does character level have any effect on character damage in darktide, like hero power in V2? That is to say with the same 150 power weapon, will you do more damage per hit as a level 20 than a level 10 against a malice mauler?

Yeah, I'd also like to know if character level makes a difference in that regard.

Other than that, the only way to objectively improve your character is by buying higher-rated weapons at the Armoury Exchange, right? And I guess weapons can be upgraded at the Shrine of the Omnimessiah? Basic questions, but I'm still figuring things out

e: the shrine is saying I need 50 ??? (looks like a crate) to consecrate my green weapon

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Is there really any difference in resource drops between difficulties at all? Don't think there is

We've only managed to find 10 diamantine so far, seems rare on difficulty 2

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

i'm still crashing a bunch after the patch

Just had my first crash. We were in a fight with ranged enemies, and I think a grenade exploded, which might have caused it

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Which ranged weapon would you guys recommend for the Ogryn? I've been using the starting Kickback, but it performs really poorly against ranged enemies, especially when there are a lot of them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'll give the Ripper Gun a try, thanks. Looks like I need a trust level of 14 to buy one, that'll give me something to work towards

As for his melee, I'm actually pretty happy with the Bully Club, but I don't know what the meta says

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 26, 2022

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Must be bad RNG for me then, the only Ripper Gun available for me right now is locked behind trust level 14. Oh well, that's only two levels away.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

Having just hit 30 on Ogryn as the only class I've played in the beta, ranged weapon choices seem straightforward.

Grenade Gauntlet: Tired of armored targets and those pesky specials getting ignored by your teammates as they blast you? Grenade them. Bonus points if you like the bleed talent and just want to murder single targets high hp up close without having to use any actual grenades. Also using a high level one the higher bars of Blast Radius really let you CC entire groups of ranged minions at a distance with a single nade, it's fantastic.

Heavy Stubber: so you want to clear hordes and gun patrols? Here's your dakka, way more efficient at range than the ripper, and even just 2 bullets clipping Dredge shooters will gib them, with a couple more needed for Scabs. Has a long rear end reload to go with its huge rear end mag size, but tbh I'm not sure what others say about it being ammo inefficient, I've pretty much never run out of bullets. Not worth shooting Crushers with ever though, and the special attack might as well not exist.

Ripper: tbh I think this is a good intermediate gun till you get the heavy stubber if you want horde clear and to evaporate gun patrols asit sort of does both jobs of the weapons above in different, slightly less effective ways. Way less ammo efficient than the stubber but arguably comparable in terms of horde clearing but you won't be doing it nearly as far or for extended periods. Fine to suppress gun patrols with but you aren't gonna be clearing them out if they're 20m out or more, don't expect any significant kills till you get closer. You can't whip it out quite as often for literally every horde like you can with the stubber, but it's much better at killing high health targets and the special attack (especially with a unique blessing later on that gives it Rending) is great for apply bleed with the relevant feat on high health, high armor targets. If you want to be able to hold your own against gun patrols though, go with the stubber. Still think it's a good intermediate role between the above weapons.

Thumper: I need to buy one to try, haven't had a chance. Looks like a lot of fun and still pretty effective.

Thanks for the write-up! I might actually give the Heavy Stubber a go then, I'm not too bothered about hordes (I use melee for that), but gun patrols specifically have been kicking my rear end with the Kickback.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Orv posted:

Give the Bull II Cleaver I think it is a shot. Only Ogryn melee I can stand.

I've started using the cleaver, yeah. It seems pretty good, I'm now one-shotting the basic grunts, but that could also be because I went from a rating of 130 to 200.

e: Heavy Stubber seems less useful at long range than I was hoping, there's a lot of recoil

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

The Krourk Mk IV Cleaver (a stainless steel bowie knife with a grooved blade and with no handguard) looks extremely cool but just sucks. Both of its combos are mainly single-target strikes, but it's only about as good as the shovel or club for single-target damage. You're giving up almost all of your ability to clear hordes in return for nothing.

I only just realized there are different kinds of Cleavers. :downs: I was wondering why my new Cleaver seemed to use attacks that were different from those of my previous one, and also why it seemed noticeably less useful. Turns out my 'upgrade' is a sucky Krourk Mk IV. Time to buy a Bull Butcher instead.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Good news everyone; I Abhored The Mutant by having the game crash

Yesterday Darktide crashed so hard that I no longer had any sound. Not just in-game, but in general. I had to restart my computer

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm 10000% not sold on the Heavy Stubber. In my experience it starts firing too slow, it's best at killing things at a range Ogryn is already effective at, and the slow ready time makes it terrible at on-demand special deleting.

Team Rumbler.

Yeah, I've been using the Heavy Stubber and I have to say it's been a bit disappointing for me. As you say, it takes forever to get going, and it's useless at long range. It is fun to unload into an oncoming horde, but hordes are already covered by my melee weapon, so the Stubber doesn't add much in that regard.

Maybe I should try something else, though I'm not sure what.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This enemy decided to get stuck in an ammo locker

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

finally setting up a dedicated dodge key after jumping one too many times and getting netted

Which key did you end up picking? In Vermintide 2 I have jumping bound to shift, but obviously that's sprinting in Darktide.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So what is the max rating you've seen for weapons you can buy at the Armoury Exchange? I'm level 29, and the rating for gear available at the store seems to be around 400, maybe slightly below it (obviously I can't check right now).

If I understand correctly, there's no point in upgrading an item at the Shrine of the Omnissiah until you're level 30, since it would quickly become obsolete as you gain more levels?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I've been playing zealot.. but I started an ogryn up to level 8.

I'm wondering what ogryn mains think the best melee is

The Bully Club has a decent attack combo, but its damage output is limited. Good low-level beginner weapon.

I've heard good things about the Shovel, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

If you go for a Cleaver, make sure it's the Bull Butcher, which has two consecutive horizontal swings on its light attacks, making it great against hordes. The other Cleavers are garbage, especially the Krourk Mk IV.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

So what is the max rating you've seen for weapons you can buy at the Armoury Exchange? I'm level 29, and the rating for gear available at the store seems to be around 400, maybe slightly below it (obviously I can't check right now).

If I understand correctly, there's no point in upgrading an item at the Shrine of the Omnissiah until you're level 30, since it would quickly become obsolete as you gain more levels?

Anyone? Am I understanding the rating mechanics correctly?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Orv posted:

This is essentially correct. Greys cap out somewhere around 350 it seems like and that’s the minimum you want to be building off of if possible.

Purchase blues with interesting perks for later. Upgrade 350-ish greys with good bars for now.

Got it. This also means that a 400 blue and a 350 grey are equivalent in terms of bars despite the rating difference, right?

Why do you suggest upgrading greys rather than blues? Apologies if I'm misunderstanding something.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Orv posted:

As we understand it at the moment, the traits and blessings of green and up weapons are also part of the rating. This means that a 400 blue will on average have less budget for bars than a 350 grey, where all of it goes into bars on the grey.

Greys upgraded however will keep their original bars meaning they’re better overall once upgraded.

Thanks for the explanation. Seems like a strange oversight on the part of the devs, but it makes sense now.

So basically, counterintuitively, I should be on the look-out for a good grey. :tipshat:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

S.J. posted:

For end-game crafting, yeah. In the mean time, just grab whatever's got good stuff on it and you enjoy playing.

Naturally. I've got a decent amount of plasteel and diamantine saved up, I'll see how far that gets me once I do find that quasi-perfect grey.

I am of course hoping I'll get lucky with the perks; I don't know which ones are considered OP at this point.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Speaking of weapon perks - is it at all possible to reroll them, or are you stuck with the ones you get as you go up in rarity?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dravs posted:

Prima says max level for weapons is 530

https://primagames.com/tips/what-is-the-max-item-level-in-warhammer-40k-darktide-answered

And yeah, as said, you can only get that if you upgrade from a grey since the stat bars don't get diluted by perks on a grey (the power rating of a weapon is just a calculation of the stat bars + any perks the weapon has).

Interesting. What's the max rating you guys have seen on a grey weapon, 375? It seems like it would be difficult to get to 530 from there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Diephoon posted:

Word on the discord street is that toughness over 100 is multiplying the damage you take :allears:

I am going to blame this for the embarrassing wipe that I just had

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kaddish posted:

I just did a mission as vet and something definitely is up with damage.

I played through a mission just now where I decided to pay attention to my health bar, and sure enough, it was getting chipped away at even without my toughness being depleted. This means that everyone who has a +x% Toughness curio equipped is
inadvertently playing on challenge mode.

:fatshark:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Arghy posted:

Any data on whats required to get 530 item power? The fast i max item power the faster i can quit the stupid grind. I know someone said you'll have to upgrade a high power grey item to do it but i'm wondering whats the sweet spot to aim for in terms of power.

I googled this earlier today, and people were saying that ~375 was the highest rating they'd seen on a grey item. Haven't seen this myself, mind you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What I've noticed is that the in-game graphics settings don't make that much of a difference. I changed everything from High to Low, and I gained maybe 10 FPS on average, if that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Haven't had any crashes tonight, but I guess it's basically a crapshoot

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BombiTheZombie posted:

Im in the lucky minority that can run this on ultra without FPS dipping sub 60 even with the beta chugging around 20 FPS at lowest settings, and with no crashes no less! Game is absolutely gorgeous and the core gameplay is still good blasting fun.

I've noticed that the graphics settings really don't matter as much as you might think. I went from about 80-120 FPS on the High settings (with the occasional dip) to 90-130 on Low. I'm tempted to just play on High, since the gains from dropping down are so minimal.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kaddish posted:

Wow the starting Ogryn shotgun is trash.

It's good at making enemies fall down on their asses, but not much else. I've tried out all of his ranged options, and my favorite at this point is the Heavy Stubber, despite its ineffectiveness at long range.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

ogryn is fun but they just don't really feel like they have any real stand out weapons the way the other classes do

the mk3 knife is pretty good, the heavy stubber, ripper, and grenade launcher are fine, but there's clear overpowered weapon like the power sword or whatever

The big problem with the Ogryn is that he has no good long-range options, which I guess is for balance reasons. Those ranged grunts are the bane of my existence, especially when they're far away and my teammates aren't taking them out for whatever reason.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How important is the Collateral stat for Heavy Stubbers? What does it actually do? I found a new Heavy Stubber that is better than my previous one in every single way, except for Collateral, and it's bugging me a little.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

IIRC it's stagger and suppression on hit (mouse over the stat in question while in the inspect screen to see). If there's a dump stat I'd pick for Stubbers, it'd probably be Collateral (your shots hit hard enough to insta-kill most things so suppression isn't that big of a deal) or Range (I'm certain a Stubber can only be so accurate so past a certain range you might as well not bother shooting) so IMO you've gotten a win.

:tipshat:

e: the Inspect screen seems pretty useful, I should be checking it more often

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Does matchmaking specifically try to group strike teams together (eg: duos with duos, before dumping 2 solo queuers in there)?

Either we're incredibly lucky or there's a big different - in solo queue I keep getting < level 5s expecting to be carried, when there's two of us we almost always seem to get another duo of semi-competent people on malice+

I don't know if I'm lucky or what, but I've been solo matchmaking on Malice these past few days, and pretty much everyone has been level 25-30 and generally competent. It's led to wipes becoming rare for me. Part of me wants to try out Heresy, but I'm pretty sure I'd get my rear end kicked.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So I just made my first Veteran character. What does the meta say about the best weapon combo for them, what would you recommend?

In the meantime I'll do some Sedition missions to familiarize myself with the basics

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

dogstile posted:

Everyone runs powersword and bolter, but you'll take a while to get to those, so just use what you like until then.

Orv posted:

In the end if you wanna use Vet's Best Weapons, you want a Power Sword and a Bolter/Plasma Gun/Kantrael MG XII depending on your taste in ranged.

Other notable mentions; Shovel has good crowd control for hordes, Braced Autoguns are an acquired taste but can do some devastating work on specials and elites and the Accatran Recon line of full-auto lasrifles can be a ton of fun, with the VIIa being the standout for all around usefulness.

Alright, thanks. Is the Bolter good against gun patrols? That's the one thing I kind of like about the Ia Lasgun they started me out with. Big difference coming from Ogryn. That and the health, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Orv posted:

It will do fine against patrols, it turns men into meat very easily and can pierce the boxes and stuff you often find shooters hiding behind but the ammo will quickly become an issue.

I've done Malice runs since launch where the enemies were like 75% ranged, shooters, gunners and shotgunners and I would not have survived those runs with a bolter.

Which weapon did you use instead? I might go for that one as well, I've come to really loathe the ranged grunts after maining an Ogryn, dealing with them effectively is a must.