Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

KazigluBey posted:

Thank you.

For those who spent a good amount of time in the test, how are the character personalities and dialogue feeling? I know FS states that they have even more dialogue than in VT2 but is it overall the same quality that made the 5 so memorable? I know the idea here is you're just some disposable schlub like all the rest in the penal battalions and they went whole-hog into the whole character customization thing, but I'm wondering how it stacks up against the far FAR less customizable but more characterful 5 of VT1 and 2.

I think the choice of having alternate voices for each character was a bad one. The actual voice lines for each character are pretty good, but with multiple voice actors per character I cant tell if a voice is coming from the Zealot or the Psyker because theyre both yelling about insane poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm really wierded out by how many game ending crashes I've been experiencing from Vermintide 2, much more than the Darktide beta. super wierd.

Give the EAC Setup in the V2 directory a shot, there's a repair install option. 95% of the time if V2 starts crashing randomly when it didnt before, its EAC.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Apparently the beta was logging stuff about missing fx for Daemonhost and Beasts of Nurgle. I'm guessing Beasts will be a Monster alternate (like plague ogryns) but lorewise Daemonhosts seem like a big power jump.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

"We said we had a Matt Ward, not the Matt Ward!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

How about an all-melee class? that'd be super original and not played out at all

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Psyker spotlight is out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLB1C33suH0

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Pennsylvanian posted:

Playing VT2 again and then watching Darktide footage let me notice that specials seem to be a bit finer tuned. The thing I hated most about VT2 was probably special enemies like Blightstormers who could ruin runs with bullshit. I just remembered less of that sort of thing in the Darktide beta. I think you could even deflect Pox Hounds' leap attacks if you were blocking.
Those grenade guys can get real bad real fast if ignored, unless you like fire. Ive seen some of those assholes walk out of a spawn closet during the data interrogation, throw a grenade, and then waltz back in after you close distance.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Oof. I'll be playing with an RTX 3070, hope that's enough get a decent frame rate on the higher settings.

Who am I kidding, as with any multiplayer game I'm just going to end up dropping down to the lowest settings just to squeeze out every frame per second that I can

Aside from performance isssues in beta which, it's going to be a very cpu-heavy game. I have an i7700k with a 3070 and it ran like absolute dogshit (40ish FPS @ 1080p on low/medium settings), I'm hoping the preorder beta will alleviate my concerns a bit. For me personally it ran worse than v2, but there's people with substantially worse setups that had better performance, so who knows what's going on.

It also has that thing like V2 where one of the lighting settings is crucial to having some depth in the environment, because without it all the maps look like globally lit Quake 2 maps.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

I'll miss you chaos warriors with the heelie roller blade boots.

Dont worry, space Maulers do the same scoot-n-bonk as fantasy Maulers

Unlucky7 posted:

Does Gamepass allow access to the early beta?

In any case I was going to use that to play this until I learned that Gamepass players does not have crossplay with Steam.

If need be you can refund at any point before release regardless how many hours you put into the preorder beta

I was pretty set on Ogryn to start but that bolter and plasma gun gameplay is very tempting.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

That performance blog is worth the read, lotta detail on which settings impact what - which for a cpu-bottlenecked system like mine is handy to know

Unfortunately no details on worker thread setting, I know what it says its supposed to do, but it seems like experiences vary wildly on whether you should increase or decrease it depending on how many cores you have and what the setting is at. Should it match physical cores? Less?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Zephro posted:

Hm, OK. Maybe Gamepass is a good shout. Or I guess I can just refund it on Steam. Maybe the release version will be better optimised, too...

Have you considered Geforce now? If you have a good internet connection and if you can deal with the input latency, its a good option if you cant get it to run locally in any decent way.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

field balm posted:

Maybe the wrong thread, but is there a way to make steam start downloading something when it goes live or am I gonna have to get up at 5am to manually start it downloading?

The easiest trick if you dont wanna gently caress with the app is to simply make a run-once windows task to start steam sometime shortly after the game is supposed to release, and shut Steam down beforehand making sure automatic downloads are enabled in settings. That is all assuming you have steam set to autologin and such

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Nice.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

This runs surprisingly well. Like its not butter smooth but its more than playable, using the last Nvidia drivers with a 3070 and i7700k. No raytracing or DLSS

Also which female voice for the zealot is it that does the "for the master of mankind!" line on ult, is it Agitator?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

explosivo posted:

Anyone know if it's possible to change stuff like your face or voice after making a character? My dude looks weird in a way that I didn't intend to and think I would prefer a different voice. I can just make a new guy since i'm still so early on but didn't know if something opened up to let you customize that stuff eventually.

Theres a barber/chirurgeon in the hub but it doesn't seem to be active in beta, so I'm guessing yes, but not right now

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

big cummers ONLY posted:

If anyone has more tips like this... help. I don't need it to look good but my framerate is straight chunky. Not gonna be able to afford pc upgrades for like... years.

Without knowing what your system is like I'm gonna assume you're being cpu bottlenecked
Start by deleting appdata\roaming\fatshark\darktide ; in case any weird beta settings are carrying over.Remember to disable ray tracing and set worker threads in the launcher before first launch as well.

Turning down the CPU heavy settings mentioned in the performance guide, and setting worker threads to 4 on my 4-core i7700k + 3070 either did the trick or they optimized beta because it runs "ok" now on mixed medium/high (gpu-only settings). Big hordes will still drop framerate but its not near as chunky as it was in beta for me. Did about a dozen missions now with only one CTD but my buddy is getting crashes pretty often.

Also Ogryn seems to be by far the least popular choice rn, everybody wants to roleplay a krieg guardsman or space wizard

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Orv posted:

Las pistols are shockingly good.

Surprise of the day for me too. Inaccurate but lots of ammo and hits like a truck for such a tiny pistol. Quick to whip out and reload too

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Zealots skills are either bugged or got changed and their tooltips not updated - his ult only recharges 50% toughness instead of 100%, and the "regen toughness around enemies in melee range" trait seems to not work a lot of the time

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I don’t remember it particularly from beta but the actual manual quelling is slower or equal to just letting it drain passively, it’s really bizarre.

Played a ton of it tonight and my main feeling is just “drat I should’ve put this time into zealot.”

They increased a lot of the peril costs for stuff because they were apparently not happy with how pop-happy psykers got in CBeta and are trying to get them to also actually use guns or melee, but the pendulum seems to have swung too hard in the other direction

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

We're the ubersrseik [IIIII] or [IIII ], it doesn't matter!

Playing ogryn to herd my squishy CoD transplant veterans like precious ducklings

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

He supposedly gets one of those big man portable auto cannons which would help him with counter fire against gunners.

Yeah Ogryn has a couple of Stubber varieties, the rippergun, the boom stikc, grenadier gauntlet, etc. No traditional rifles but plenty of dakka options.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

For anyone else still having performance issues and crashes, disabling Steam overlay added like 20fps and i havent crashed a single time in hours since.

Also for some reason that scanner map is like twice as hard on frames as any other map

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Easy to pick out? I can’t hear anything like that except for the hound, wtf?

Flamers sound like an igniting gasrange, bombers have a ping from a grenade pin being pulled and will shout lines like "bomber advancing" , Trappers have female voiced callouts about selling you, and some jingling of chains. Theyre not as in your face as in V2 but after a while you can pick em out.

After getting tired of pubbies ignoring specials I tried veteran and I gotta say - space CoD is a lot of fun.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Its kind of crazy how much of a difference in performance turning off Steam overlay has, goddamn.

Does anyone else, regardless of other performance, have massively worse performance on the scanning map? That scanning objective is a real drag to do with clueless pubbies too.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Qmass posted:

speaking of veteran penances

"marked for death" - when it says to hit 4 enemies weak spots with a secondary action without missing "a shot"

its confusing me because I thought secondary was the thumb button on weapons ? which is always a punch of slap or bayonet etc or is it something else ? I seem to have done it 3/4 times already but im not sure which gun I was using to do that

The Steam Achievement for it makes it way more obvious than the penance:

I also somehow got a psyker achievement without having even rolled a psyker

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I imagine if the workshop comes out one of the first mods will be to tone down the Psyker peril noises and visuals.

All word so far has been "no mods", sadly. I could use the one that skips all the startup bullshit so I don't have to play DDR with esc and space to get to the login screen.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Diephoon posted:

UP NEXT: Another episode of "your team is barely staying alive and someone decides to pick up a grimoire"

I've started to tag every time I put down a medpack and type "med" in chat. I also try to do it for Medicae stations. A surprisingly amount of players zoom right past medicaes even when there is enough taps for everyone, kind of maddening.

You can use the "go here" marker that comes up in a big purple gps marker on screen too thats pretty drat hard to miss even with all the other visual clutter going on. I always put that on ammo crates/medpacks Ive deployed and even the goldfish-est of pubbies seems to find it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Pennsylvanian posted:

Man, for anyone worried about Veteran's focus on ranged power, don't be. Their [F] skill is insanely useful for finding and picking off specials before they get too close.

Popping Vet ult anytime you hear a special and having a headhsot waiting for them as soon as they open their spawn door or round the corner is my manna. Amazing for weeding out gunners/shotgunners from crowds too.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 19, 2022

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone know what the iconography on the weapon attacks means? (bottom right)

Also does switching between light & heavy and vice-versa reset to the start of the combo, or what?

I love the explanation for special attack: special melee attack. No poo poo.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Official server status comms is here by the way https://twitter.com/DarktideComms

Matchmaking is basically hosed currently so invite randoms into striketeams

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

This fella is in now

He's also incredibly annoying to fight if your team is dumb, so uhh...
(His weakspot is on his back, but he leaves a corrosive damaging sludge trail whenever he moves, and my team kept running away from him through tunnels, so there was no way to hit his weakpoint without taking corrosive damage, and I pretty much had to solo kill him while standing in the acid)

Not very difficult though. Also not a very exciting design or encounter :v: He looks like a slug with dreadlocks that pulls himself forward with 2 arms. And that's all he does, is move toward you and vomit at you.

He will also literally eat you if you get close

Internet Explorer posted:

I take no pleasure in reporting that Zealot is the new Elf. I'm sorry.

Also, I don't know how I feel about the Zealot having the low HP buffs that VT2 Zealot has. In this game, you can't see the THP generation so you don't easily know that's the build they're going for and aren't just some idiot running past healing. And then add things like they have to avoid dropped AoE healing. I dunno, it just doesn't seem like that great of game design.

Yeah I'm not a fan of them taking the "low hp = more damage" trait from V2. Like I get what theyre going for but it just invites lovely behavior and minmaxing weebs getting upset that someone heals them.

I am really enjoying the Kantrael Lasgun a lot on vet. Just enough pop to take care of specials but not a total dumpster fire rate. A lot of pubbies make vet seem super squishy and terrible but I'm surprised at how fun he actually is.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 20, 2022

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

3 Vet + Psyker on a blackout mission on malice+ felt like an actual survival horror game. Popping vet ults in series to mark stuff ahead in the fog, slowly moving so you dont get crumped by corner-ragers.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I'm assuming Impact is another word for stagger?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Turns out you can buy items you don't have the Trust for yet, you just can't equip em yet

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

If this game didnt crash or disconnect every other mission id never stop playing

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

What is it with pubbies and barrels

In v2 it was carrying a barrel everywhere for no reason until they get stabbed and it detonates friendly-firing everyone

Here it's, for whatever reason, randomly meleeing barrels when nothing else is around

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Arghy posted:

Did fatshark say when they're gonna hotfix all the crashes? Half my team is getting multiple soft crashes and hard crashes every mission now--if they launched like this dear god it woulda been bad.

From what Ive read most of the random crashes are basically the same random GPU hang issue that they're working on, so... maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Arghy posted:

Haha 10 days until release you'd think they would wanna slam out those fixes before launch to see if they work else you'll get a very, very bad release.

I have no doubt theyre working on it

The question is will it ever be fixed