Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Did any of the leaks show the movesets for the starters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I heard you can change a Pokemon's Tera-type? Is this true?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

It seems exclusively designed around pvp where you are going to end up in sticky type matchup situations regularly. In single player yeah why wouldn't you just use a Pokemon with the right type to begin with.

Of course they could make things interesting by making gyms have deep and varied teams so you have to bring a good comp against them.

Tera Types themselves are more important than Tetrastallizing. Because Tera Blast can get you coverage that you wouldn't necessarily have otherwise.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Vandar posted:

Tera Blast only gives you that coverage when you Terastallize though.

Well drat there goes that then. :eng99:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Also Water Tera Scizor or Ghost Tera Tyranitar.

EDIT: And Ground Tera Gyarados.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

I just realized Pikachu and Eevee have their normal cries again.

Good. :colbert:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Today I went into a random cave and found a wild Lv. 50 Psychic-Tetra Espeon (my party is in the low 30s). I lost most of my party as I used up all of my good balls trying to catch it, only managing to win because it decided to spam Calm Mind while my Pupitar got it with Crunch.

This is the first time I've felt actual tension in a Pokemon game in decades lol

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Draga posted:

Toedscruel trading the silly walk in favour of just hopping around was a major downgrade.

It's 100% because they didn't want to animate all its tentacles in a walk-cycle.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Probably the same reason why Titans battles don't give you experience, or why Raids give experience in the form of candies.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Wellwinds posted:

eh there's definitely poo poo that gets lost if you switch to digital, just compare his markerwork to the official gen one versions

could also just be tpc/gamefreak wanting to standardize the overall style and him having to conform to that though

Man, I miss Death Kaiju Nidoking so much. I know I'm dreaming, but I hope they put a past Paradox Nidoking in the DLC that's basically just Destroyah.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Water should be weak to Ice, thanks for coming to my sermon.

And Freeze Dry should instantly kill Water Types. :hmmyes:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Real reason is probably saving a little bit of devtime on modeling, animating, and testing stuff that the vast majority of the playerbase doesn't care about.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I stopped taking Wolfey seriously when he pronounced Gengar "Jenjar".

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Why is Vezula half-psychic anyway?

It's gimmick being slicing off and regenerating it's own flesh, and regeneration being a common psychic power trope? :shrug:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

CBD Corndog posted:

Just got an important email from the Pokemon Center:

https://www.pokemoncenter.com/en-ca/product/701E10076/wailord-poke-plush-57-in

~$100/foot, not a bad price for a big friend

nintendo please i will take out a mortgage for a life-size wailord plush

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

the anime is not canon. but, get this—the friggin manga is.

which one

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

The one where half the Kanto Gym Leaders are part of Team Rocket?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Koraidon looks better as a Pokemon while Miraidon looks better as a mount. And you're going to see the mount form much more often.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Larryb posted:

I missed the stream, what does the DLC entail exactly?

Basically 2 expansions like SwoShi but purchased together this time and the plots of each directly flow into each other.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hey, speaking of which, are you only allowed to catch one of the paradox mons? Because I caught walking wake and when I tried to do the raid again I was told I couldn't catch it again.

Also, catching Walking Wake was way, WAY easier than catching Iron Leaves.

The event Paradoxes are once per save file, each.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I wasn't regretting my choice to buy Violet, until Walking Wake.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I'm in the "The time machine isn't actually a time machine and these are purely what-if Pokemon created out of the ether." camp.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 1, 2023

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Fortis posted:

Brilliant Diamond wouldn't let me use the name 'Balls.' What the gently caress else am I supposed to name a Slugma?

Steve Jobs.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

The glitches are mostly visual and nothing that really impacts anything you do. The only ones that might get annoying are the ones with tera raids but they dont happen frequently enough to really affect your enjoyment. Gameplay wise the new gimmick mechanic (tera) is probably the most fun one they have come up with, the new pokemon are mostly fantastic, and the actual spread of available pokemon is huge early on. Story wise, its the best story and character writing the series has had and its not even close.

A big asterisk to this is that there's currently a bug that can delete your save file if you connect to Pokemon Go or buy the DLC.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

is it

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Tera doesn't hold a candle to Megas but it's a way better gimmick than Z-moves or Dynamax.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I downloaded Pokemon Sleep last night and 2 things:

1. This sleep tracker app has way too many mechanics.

2. I get way less sleep than I thought. :stare:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

It goes really hard on the mobile game mtx vortex but the base mechanics are fine and it works as a sleep aid for me.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Framboise posted:

It's been 25 years and I'm still waiting for Mewthree (and Mega X and Y don't count)

A Future Paradox Mewtwo called Mewthree that looks like the armored Mewtwo from the anime is the biggest missed opportunity.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

monster hunter is not like pokemon at all except that there is monsters

"Edgier Pokemon" is not an incorrect way to describe Monster Hunter designs, and Monster Hunter Stories is actually a straight Pokemon clone.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Look at a loving Zinogre and tell me it's not some 10 year old's edgy OC Pokemon design. And I mean that in the best way possible.

EDIT: Felynes are basically what if all Meowths could talk like in the anime.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 9, 2023

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Thanks for the shiny Lycanrock!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Thanks for the Pichu in a ball I've never seen before!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

pyrotek posted:

Street Fighter 6 copied the Pokemon world for single player and is literally that

When do I get to battle Carlos Miyamoto then? Well, Gamefreak?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Kikas posted:

Yo but for real shoutout to the last well-optimized 3D mailnile title. While undercooked and feeling unfinished at parts, X and Y were a monumental step forward over BW/2 and I enjoyed them immensely. Even though people put more praise in SuMo, I have returned to PokeFrance a lot more than I did to PokeHawai. We didn't know how good we had it. The designs were great and new mechanics and moves did a lot to shake up the formula in a fun way, and X/Y need to be recognized for that.

Plus having this banger be the final track in the Team Flare Music Evolution Line was very much worth it.

lol what, X/Y weren't well optimized they chugged in even double battles. And definitely wasn't a huge step forward from B/W2.

Megas were cool though, bring those back.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I assume all the metamorphosing bugs evolve into their final stages with age.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I know a couple people who've tried their hands at localizing Japanese and they've said that rap portions are the absolute devil, especially if wordplay is involved.

I remember in the Devilman Crybaby dub they didn't even bother to translate the Japanese rapper guy.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

why is there no capybara pokemon

It took them 9 generations to give us a proper Dolphin pokemon.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I kinda wonder why they're so stingy with new Eevees. Slyveon was over a decade ago now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

oddium posted:

a lot of the mega pokemon are in pain. still think it's cool ??

All of those dex entries showed up in SuMo, it's clearly Pro Z-Move propaganda. :colbert: