Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Maybe it's just because we only really see vox pops on UK wide media, and whenever the cameras come north it's just some old granny saying "I'm glad Thatchers dead and furthermore...!".

We have a whole poster who is famous for that itt :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

Whenever I try and attract a cat the sound used here is "kss kss kss", I dunno why except it's said cats listen to S sounds extra well, which might be BS. For our cat it's a pretty surefire way though. I think most languages have their own sounds and I guess cats learn to recognize it for what it is.

Ngl I find rattling a packet of Dreamies works best.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Or maybe they just delivered it like they said they would?

You're complaining that they did what you paid them for?

She's complaining she had to call them to make them do that. That should be fairly obvious.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Also wife decided to go out for two hours while waiting for a food delivery and either we've been porch pirated or the bin men just took it :sigh:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

What an incredibly stupid move.

Love to design a service based on the assumption that we will have 100% internet coverage, after the last time anything even remotely like that was offered it was compared to nationalising sausages.

I work in the TV adjacent industry and this is not news. Most linear TV watching (you tune to a channel and watch a series of programmes that come on at set times) is already Boomers. Younger people mostly watch Netflix, iPlayer - or like Tictoc. Which already require the internet. We are close to it being a requirement for everyone already, over the like 20 year timeframe being talked about here and once the Boomers are dead it's fairly safe to assume everyone will already actually have to have it just like say electricity.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah if I'm in hospital and have internet I might want to chat to my friends or family or watch some amusing videos or listen to light music but if I ever start voluntarily watching Bargain Hunt or Homes Under The Hammer please call the TBI team immediately.

This is sort of my point, see....

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

On the assumption that kite flying moving BBC to all online is going to cause mega complaining once the hoipolloi get to hear about it, and working on the assumption that 'they' know that, what is the real 'phew they've done something less bad' move they really want to make?

In my block of flats only about 2 of 19 flats (including me) have internet. The TV is the main companion for several of the late 80/90 year olds in the block. So if it's not happening until 2030s that still means a lot of now - 70/80 somethings will be affected. And people in these age groups tend to watch a LOT of BBC.

If it's just BBC, presumably all the channels I usually watch will still be on the satellite (hoping freesat sticks around for years to come!)

It won't be some big bang thing - the over the air TV by aerial.may be but linear TV over multicast IP is already a thing. Plug the old dears' smart TV into the router and they won't notice the difference for a while longer. Worst case linear is strictly less functional than on demand so you can fake the former with like a script built on the latter. And as I say in two decades (one is optimism from the bbc) they will have/need a router anyway.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 8, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nilbop posted:

If I were an Englishman I would, at the very least, not be voting for either of these showers.

Lib Dem spotted

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Oh dear me posted:

Don't see why a party with less than half the vote should win, myself. It's Labour's fault they lost Scotland and would have to negotiate with the SNP.

No party ever wins more than 50% of the vote in any country, as a rule. That's why the Lib Dems have always been banging the drum about PR, it would make them perpetual kingmakers between the Tories and Labour.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lady Demelza posted:

Cats are not solitary creatures. They also aren't dogs, and at the cat rescue where I volunteer there are multiple stories of people who are baffled because they constantly misread cat behaviour (no your cat was not happily wagging her tail then bit you out of the blue, please take 2 minutes to learn what cat tail twitching means). A cat that has bonded with you will sit with its back to you, because they trust you not to attack from behind.

Literally just looked at my cat and he's snoozing with his back to me. He's standoffish compared to some cats I've had - but he still always wants to be within about 6' of me, and I do mean me, not my wife. So yeah, no, agreed, an actual solitary creature wouldn't be doing that.

Edit: cat tax

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 15, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I get about 15 minutes of him snuggling next to me on my bed a week, roughly. As a treat.

I have also seen him try and fail to hunt an ant.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Camrath posted:

And it’s great to be able to drop the phrase ‘I started with the support of a coterie of internet communists’ when being interviewed by the BBC. Lol.

Pretty sure you tried your very first (marmite) fudge out on us when I was trying to start my D&D game (immediately before Events, oops, so that didn't work out). Glad to have been a part of your success ;)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kingturnip posted:

It all just drums home that of the last couple of generation of elected politicians, 80% plus of them are completely loving useless when it comes to thinking long-term.
The current political thinking is that you only worry as far away as the next election and that utterly fucks the country.
Everyone gets to blame the last shower of cunts, and they're right to do so, but almost no-one has any plan that extends beyond a couple of years of positive headlines.

The 'last shower of cunts' for the last, what, 4 elections? has been the same cunts, but nobody seems to notice.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I'm still annoyed that they changed master/slave device to primary/secondary and not dom/sub.

I mean the real fix to this was SATA. I haven't personally had to deal with PATA master/slave stuff since the previous century I think.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I know women who are impressed if a man actually HAS a car regardless of what sort of car it was!

I feel this is less of a signifier over here (especially in a big city) than in the US, where not having/driving a car is sort of prima facie a red flag for being a loser/incredibly poor.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

andyf posted:

Bit late on the physical games chat, but as a wee lad who spent their days on an Amiga, there was an unrivalled sense of awe every time I’d take a look in the Electronics Boutique at the weekend, seeing what was new for the miggy, and then gawping at the sheer size of the game boxes for PC titles. Just vast, giant things. Presumably with some novel-esque game manuals inside and 300 floppy disks (pre CD days).

I remember getting M1 Tank Platoon for the Atari ST and it had what amounted to a first-year-military-college course on tank tactics and comprehensive recognition guide for Soviet armour. Similarly, after reading the Falcon 4 manual you probably could pretty much actually fly an F16.

Edit: seriously, manual for the former here https://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Microsoft_DOS/manual/Formated/M1_Tank_Platoon.pdf

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Was it not Thatcher who said: anyone on public transport after the age of 30 is a loser? (or some such equivalent).

It was, and everybody (especially in e.g. London) made fun of her for it, because we are not America.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I saw estimates that the Tories have around 170,000 members while Labour have about 450,000. Do you get much out of being a member, besides voting in leadership contests?

You get to go to constituency labour party meetings, if you really feel like it. These are exactly as exciting as they sound as a rule. You also get to vote for who your next candidate for MP is going to be (unless they aren't being re-selected automatically or Keith decides you aren't allowed to).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Wizard Master posted:

What are your blokes thoughts on the NHS crisis with supposedly 500 deaths per week

Mostly I think you shouldn't be in this thread with your shtick.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I was told my by 6th form that if I wanted to do A-level computing I had to do maths. I didn't, and got the highest grade of the class.

In my computer science degree I was told by my university I had to do a maths course using CALMAT, literally running through modules and ticking boxes. I got my brother to come and do it for me. I got a 2:1 and none of the maths was ever relevant. Now I work in networking and none of these things are ever needed.

I'm a programmer and my A Levels were in History, English and Religious Studies. I've never even needed GCSE maths for anything professional in a quarter of a century of doing this (I did use trig once for some hobby robotics stuff).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Microplastics posted:

My cat did a runny poo poo on the bus once and every mother fucker got off the bus at the next stop, there's just no living with that, it's not survivable

Whenever I move house (more than I like), my cat will start screaming from as soon as the car/van starts and reliably poo poo himself about 5 minutes in. Do not recommend a 3 hour drive after that.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 6, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mebh posted:

Isn't the best (actually possible) outcome of the next election that the conservatives crash and burn, but labour is short of a majority so they're forced into a coalition with the SNP/Greens.

Hahaha who am I kidding, they'll just declare it a resounding victory and sit in minority for as long as possible while fixing nothing and making a sad face.

The Greens is, like, 1 MP and the SNP aren't all that progressive in practice (plus there's the complication they won't vote on English-specific issues, plus the first thing they'll be after is obviously another referendum).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

happyhippy posted:

If you think about it, we only eat the female chickens.
Do cocks/roosters/male chickens taste different?

Afaik, yes. Though coq au vin is a thing (and designed to deal with tougher meat that needs longer cooking - the chickens we eat these days tend to be a lot younger than in pre-industrial/battery-farming times).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EmptyVessel posted:

Hahaha
In pefect synchronicity whatever is on the background radio right now just identified John Craven as the Drug Kingpin of Britain.

Wait....the Newsround guy?!

You'll be telling me the Teletubbies do smack next.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Microplastics posted:

There will be inadequate fruit & veg

The UK Does Not Have Enough Fruit Or Veg To Give Everyone Their 5-A-Day, Research Finds

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/uk-does-not-have-enough-fruit-vegetables-cost-of-living-crisis_uk_63c55923e4b0d6724fcfec01

To be fair, this is a supply/demand thing. We don't import enough fruit and veg for everyone to have five a day because most people don't have or want five a day. What do they want, vegetables rotting on the shelves?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sanford posted:

I took a 20% paycut post-covid when I accepted a job that’s full time from home rather than one with a fifteen mile commute, and office based. By far and away the best decision I’ve ever made, probably the most significant quality of life increase I’ve ever had. Would not go back to office work now for twice that salary difference.

I passed probation at my job literally a month after lockdown, at which point the company had previously had an option to give you a loan to buy a Tube season ticket. A Zone 1-4 yearly season ticket for the tube is £2,208 - after tax, so being able to skip that was actually equivalent to a bit over £3,000 pay rise. The timing worked out pretty well, really.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Marmaduke! posted:

Beep beep, Rishi

To be fair an outright 'You're fired!' Trump-style as opposed to a forced 'resignation' is somewhat unusual. That's gotta sting.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dogatron posted:

I worked 48 hour weeks, rotating from days to nights on 12 hour shifts during lockdown. I might have earned slightly more than £3000 on overtime pay , but not by much.

I used to remember the happy hypoxics, the ppe, the coughing and the body bags- but now I can look back and celebrate somebody earning £3000 for doing nothing.

Thank you.

...and? I would happily swap that in an instant for COVID never having happened. I would also rather like my ex to still be alive. So quite frankly go gently caress yourself.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Do we know a sterilising vaccine is even theoretically possible? I thought COVID got established in mucus membranes first, no vaccine can do anything til it hits the bloodstream.

And sorry but yes, the West could have done megalockdown in theory (good luck with Americans), at great cost - not just to Number, people have been rioting in China, that's why they changed policy. Omicron develops in China or India. As even totalitarian dictatorship China has now discovered Omicron is going to come sweeping through eventually anyway.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 1, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

FWIW the rioting in China is after two years

It wasn't easy for people to deal with before that either. China's government had a lot of initial buy-in with its population on zero covid, it takes time for that to erode, but it was a massive hardship for the people (entire cities, note, so let's not go with this 'hardly anyone was actually affected') getting locked down.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

My cat would defend me.

(He is about the size of a dog too)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Does anyone remember 'Flies Graveyard' biscuits? I think their official name was garibaldis. Biscuits with currants in.

Garibaldis still exist if you know where to look. Bit dry on their own but nice dunked into a cup of tea.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Why was it a reasonable course of action? Russia was corrupt and we knew it, Russia had a horrible record on human rights and we knew it. Seems like you just have accepted the media whitewashing of the policy. A lot of the stuff the libs handwave away as "nobody knew better" nowadays about these things in the 90s and 00s weren't all uncritically accepted and uncontroversial at the time.

Russia's president literally sent tanks in to shell the equivalent of the House of Commons because the leftists won an election, and this was in 1993 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Russian_constitutional_crisis

We knew it was a shitshow back then. It was the End of History though so nobody (important) cared. And now we have Putin.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jakabite posted:

You’re both dead on of course. I was talking in a bit of a ‘democracy in a vacuum’ sense I guess. My Slovak friend I’m visiting thinks we should institute tests to make sure that smarter people have more voting power.

The American South did exactly this, in theory. Turns out that's a good way to disenfranchise anyone whose skin colour you don't like.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rarity posted:

What the gently caress are 15 minute cities?

NGL I was expecting this to be that weird NEOM arcology thing they're supposed building in Saudi Arabia. Near as I can tell, the closest thing they've got to building in the whole megaplex is a luxury yacht harbour/hotel though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

That this is literally what happened the last time does rather put a damper on that hope, but I suppose all hope is irrational so why not go big :v:

Yeah uh 1997 passed Radmonger by I guess. I recall some similar hysterical 'the Tories might never be in office again!' stuff in the early 2000s or so and, well *points at reality*

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

radmonger posted:

Here’s a graph of Tory MPs in Scotland over time. You can quite clearly see 1997 actually is the point when they were never again going to return to being a relevant political force. The whole idea of Scotland being an inherently liberal and progressive country is downstream of that result..

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-scotland-32621862.amp

It wouldn’t have taken a miracle for that to happen in England and Wales too. For example, the key vote on the invasion of Iraq was swung by a handful of MPs and ministers. On maybe Saddam chokes on a pretzel and the question never gets asked.

*coughs and splutters*

Yeah I think there might be something hello independence movement or other going on in Scotland that makes it just a little bit different to England and Wales.
I will also note Scotland had 11 Tory MPs in 1992 and 10 in 1987 so 'relevant political force in Scotland' is already doing some pretty loving heavy lifting there.

Edit: and the vote for war with Iraq went through 412 to 149, at the personal insistence of the Prime Minister at the time let us not forget. Are you literally from some kind of alternate reality?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 11, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

The thing that is easy to forget is that people working normal rear end minimum wage jobs exist in London.

Council housing vs renting privately.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kingturnip posted:

Also, some hideously overcrowded homes of multiple occupancy.
Wasn't there one house in Newham that inspectors found something like 17 people (4-5 families) living in?

Some really, abominably creepy landlords, too, if the stories from some of my colleagues are anything to go by.

My landlord at my former place had basically turned it into a warehouse for Eastern European men (a sink in every room, a stove on every floor, in a place he'd turned into a three-floor, 10-bedroom house. One actual bathroom/shower for the whole lot, mind). I'm sure he'd have tried to cram 20 people or so in there. As it turned out Barking council planning department told him to go gently caress himself, repeatedly (and I might add sent someone round to no-notice inspect and make sure he wasn't actually doing that), so I rented the bottom floor of the house, the rest being empty, till he decided to try and sell up and I had to move. To Newham actually but not to a house designed for multiple occupants, fortunately.

That's not central London though which was the original thing, east London is different and you can theoretically maybe even possibly afford a house in some parts if you enjoy being stabbed.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Miftan posted:

I think most hot places call actual lemonade lemonade in general, but I don't know if British lemonade is uniquely British or if Germans and Scandis also share this weird naming convention, for example.

*stares at red lemonade in the store* as usual not QUITE just us I think...

Edit: and cloudy wtf. Only place I've seen that description is here. Applied to fizzy but not see through stuff.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 14, 2023