Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I always love statements like "five points out" like it's some nothing amount. Sure it's three wins, if no one ahead of you or behind you wins over that same stretch which is almost impossible given most games are in conference. Even with a really good run of play and everyone in front of you turning to garbage, it can be expected to take at least 10-12 games to make up that differential. Unless you have literally played a significant number of games fewer than everyone else, five points is a huge gap to overcome.

Statements like that are just the final attempt by management to wring some fan interest out of a long deceased season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I get your meaning, but there is like half a season left.

And the Flyers have effectively no chance of making the playoffs despite "only" being five points out. The standings are a cruel mirage.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Conversely it's entirely possible that Demko being out long term turns the season around with how lousy he's played.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In conclusion, the Vancouver Canucks are a team of contrasts.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The current goal scoring level is great and I don't want it to go up or down at all from here on out.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What year did James Benn win the Art Ross with 87 points

2014-15. Only three players eclipsed 82 points. Somehow Ovie still put up 53 goals though.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 6, 2022

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

New Jersey are this year's Panthers, which means they're going to get stomped by Tampa in the playoffs and make a bunch of insane moves in response that crushes all the momentum and cohesion they had. Quote me in six months.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I'm less certain that Tampa has what it takes to be the spoiler this year, though I guess they're 7-3 in their last 10.

Tampa looked exhausted last year and still made it to game 6 of the cup finals. I'm not counting them out until they finish a season 20 points below the playoff bar.

Kucherov is 4th in NHL scoring and almost no one has even mentioned his name this year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

And yet he's not even the dumbest Oilers #1 pick ever (please destroy me if the Bruins make the Finals this season).

The dumbest Oiler is the Nuge who took a huge discount to keep the team together and the smartest is Nurse who made sure those savings were spent on him.

Aphrodite posted:

They have been very explicit they will never do that again.

Yeah, Gretzky was the stars aligning for that sorta thing. He was the best player that will ever play the game and also coincidentally had the final available number so it isn't jarring to take it out of circulation like say 8 or 9 would. Only two other guys wore 99 ever other than Gretzky. He wanted 9 like his idol Howe, but his it wasn't available on the Greyhounds thanks to the immortal Brian Gualazzi so he went with 99.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 8, 2022

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

There's no way Ovechkin gets his number retired league-wide, but pretending he's the fifth best player in his generation is stupid. Sorry. The dude has NINE Rockets. I know it's a relatively new trophy but that's insane. We may never see a goal scorer like him again.

He's also only one of just eight guys to win the Hart 3 or more times. He's a "skip the waiting period" level HHOF candidate and if he breaks Gretzky's goal record likely the defining player of the post lockout era.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

It's called "the David Booth effect" in my mind palace.

I have long suspected that Florida pads its stats. Tell me how it's possible that a franchise so irrelevant always manages to have a couple 90pt guys on the roster that they end up trading for a haul before they struggle mightily to attain those same heights?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

so glad Matthew Phillips came up to sit in the press box while the flames continue to look slow and awful

I am glad also. $17m a year until 2031 for Huberdeau and Weegar.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pungry posted:

Very happy the Panthers took their President's Trophy winning team out back and shot it so that it could hire Paul Maurice to win "playoff-style hockey" against the Tampa Bay Lightning, and that it's working so well :cheers:

Boy let me tell you about insane overreactions by a President's trophy team to an unfortunate two week stretch!

The Panthers Benning era has begun

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 11, 2022

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Boy, we're back to the "look, our team sucks, but you should say NICE things about it!" days, are we? :shepicide:

There was a vocal contingent of idiots that spent a decade arguing the reason Benning made terrible moves was because the local press was too negative about the team.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Do whatever it takes to get Ovi to #1. I want to see an increasingly drunk and despondent Gretzky trotted out on television in the weeks and months leading up to his record being broken. We might actually see his soul die on live television.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

AntiDepressor posted:

Didn’t they also say they were going to do this with Miller, then didn’t end up trading him and signed him in the summer?

Yes, and that is exactly what they'll do with Horvat who will slump to 17 goals next year and everyone will dogpile on him too.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

His continued goal scoring this year has been the first time I've come around to the idea that Ovi really might do it. So sorry folks, given my track record he's about a week away from shattering his femur in four places.

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s still really annoying that there have been 2 lockouts during Ovie’s prime (plus covid shortened seasons) , so literally he would already be there if not for them.

Yup, but on the other hand he's missed like 25 games in his career total so his all but unprecedented durability in relation to other power forward/goalscorers has made up a significant chunk of that.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 14, 2022

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I want to see Ovechkin break a Gretzky record, I want him to get to 900. But I'd like to see him do it "the right way" - which might sound stupid. He's older but still a phenomenal scorer and a great player, so I think there's a good chance that he does. I just wouldn't want to see, like, a 43-year-old Ovechkin playing 10 minutes a night and getting trotted out on the power play to try and score a goal to chase the record.

Actually this is the best outcome because it would make boomer Oilers fans so mad.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Has DeBrincat shown any indication he'll resign or is the expectation the Sens will cut their losses and dump him at the deadline?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Can we stick a fork in Philly and Columbus yet?

Two weeks ago Torts was talking about how the Flyers were only five points out lol

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I am terribly sorry for disparaging the wrong idiot

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm not gonna get into whether it was legal like that, but I enjoy big open ice hits. They're part of the game and so long as you're not looking to crush a guy's skull or leaping into it they're a legitimate hockey play. 90% of the time they don't work and the hitter just throws themselves out of position, but I like that there's an element of risk to guys trying to skate it up the middle over and over.

I am very happy the goons are gone though. It happened pretty suddenly too. How many are even left league wide? 3?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

https://youtu.be/TU2y-t9-u1U

All 800 goals if you have 15 minutes of time. That’s a goal every 1.16 seconds.

When he retires I hope someone makes a super cut of all his identical ovi spot goals over the year to show how little it changed over two decades and yet no one could ever figure out how to stop it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

wasnt there a period of time after the lockout but before the half season lockout where teams played each team in their division 8 times a year.
i just remember the wings playing nashville like every goddamn night

From 2005-06 to 2007-08 teams played 8 games against their 4 divisional opponents and did not play any games against one division from the opposite conference. It was pretty unpopular as it meant that fans in the West didn't get to see Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin early in their careers. Once it had cycled through the three years the league rolled it back to six divisional games with a home and away game against every team in the league.

It did result in a three game mid season mini series between the Canucks and Oilers that was a bloodbath by the third game though, that was pretty cool.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

After claiming it was just 5 points to the wild card Chuck Fletcher and the Flyers now find themselves 8 points adrift and 5 points from worst in the east.

That's only four wins!!!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I think Vancouver making the playoffs and Calgary missing the playoffs would be pretty good and funny for a LOT of reasons.

The Canucks aren't making the playoffs. They're currently scoring their way out of all their incredible defensive problems. At some point soon that will dry up a bit and they'll lose 8 of 11 before rallying to an 12th overall pick.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

heehee posted:

so sick. they should set this up intentionally

I have long been a proponent of bringing it back. I went to the third game and it was so fun. They were clearly totally sick of each other by then.

mennoknight posted:

i'm fine with it too. i hate this team

The Tkachuk for Huberdeau trade killed two 110pt franchises simultaneously.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 16, 2022

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I think the Canucks are just one more retool on the fly away from being contenders!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

any teams in the West have a Sammy Blais type? Chytil is looking fantastic and the cap isn't going up. i would be writing your local GM to find some middling young bottom-sixer who is riding a good shooting percentage so we can trade for him + a 2nd rounder, have him blow out his knee and return uh, much slower. ideally he's horny for his sister, too.

Dakota Joshua is enjoying a pretty good season and has the name of an old west outlaw.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Skinner signed at 3x2.6 million which is pretty great.

It'd be nice to have a backup making less than 5 million for him!!!

That is a sweet deal for the Oilers.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JT Miller is the cure for the Philly doldrums.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I think the Canucks have what it takes to go deep this year!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike_V posted:

God how bad are the Canucks? Blown out by the Blues at home

They're terrible but score just enough to mask a couple of their horrendous flaws and keep them out of the Bedard lottery. Aka the uniquely Canuck way to be terrible.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Auston Matthews is committing an aesthetic crime on the ice tonight.

https://twitter.com/BarDown/status/1605376890159902720?s=20&t=3wDx3oz2MhzljVPqw0-t0w

These are terrific. I wish more players would personalize their equipment.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I've seen that photo a hundred times but I didn't notice the MESSIER/MESSIAH thing until right now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I was expecting them to not actually follow through and do the report

They released it 2.5 days before Christmas. This is as close to not doing it as you can get while still technically finishing what you promised.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1606285372916277250?t=Bovna2JkJhySgMUqrPT5Tg&s=19

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kale posted:

Connor McDavid almost has 30 goals before we've even hit the Christmas Break. Holy loving cow man.... :stare:

And the Oilers are barely in the second wildcard spot. It rules how much they've squandered the most offensively talented player since Lemieux.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Canada goons: SVP Sports has a bunch of deals on jerseys, mostly western Canadian teams

Adidas Oilers home

Adidas Canucks alt

Adidas Flames away

Adidas Leafs home

Also Fanatics player jerseys of guys who switched teams (whole lotta Laine Jets jerseys) but there’s a McDavid breakaway jersey in there.

Thanks! I ordered one. I've been meaning to get a new jersey because my Edler one is 15 years old but also I don't want to spend much money on this garbage team, so this worked well.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Edmonton needs to get its loving poo poo together, it’s painful to watch McJesus get squandered year after year.

no it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

What was the WHA like back in its day?
Was the competition markedly lower than the NHL at large or is not rolling the records together a result of the battle between the leagues

Like if every team in the AHL got one top line NHL player. Don't read anything into WHA statistics.