Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's super cool the space dwarves have a jetpack trooper. I thought it was super weird to see rules for Fly in Kill Team but read the roster for Sisters and see no Seraphim, the roster for Orks and see no Rokkit Boy, and the roster for Space Marines and see guys named Assault Guy who don't have jetpacks. Besides the dwarves now, who even flies???

I am updating my wish for a new Sisters kill team to a wish for a new Sisters kill team that includes a jetpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Squibsy posted:

The old form of Kill Team was heavily criticised for requiring you to buy multiple model kits to get one or two individual things from each. GW seems to have firmly moved away from the era where 'having options outside of the strict limits of a given box' was considered a mainstream part of the game or hobby.

I see the wisdom in this, but Sisters are a compendium team right now where far as I know (new to hobby) you can only play them out of one box if you go 10 Battle Sister troops. If you want Repentia or Arco Flagellants you're looking at a separate box buy anyway,* so why not have jet pack troops as a choice?

In conclusion new bespoke box of real Sisters, not scout equivalents, please.

*Or buying that combat patrol box that's gonna give you...jetpack troops anyway!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

The KT specific Sisters team is Novitiates, which are SoBs in training. It would be cool if there was a power armoured Sisters KT with at least one jump pack operative.

Yeah that's what I want. I personally view the SoB as essentially a Space Marine chapter taking the chapter gimmick farther than most and it drives me up the wall that Novitiates don't look right. Credit to the Novitiate Penitent though, who I like a lot more than a "full" Sister Repentia. I just want armored nuns with guns! I'll shut up about it now, though.

What about playing Kill Team on a hex map? Perusing the rules makes it look amenable to that, with the benefit of easy range measuring/movement and no arguments about distances/cover and stuff.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah 7mm difference is not a big deal :dadjoke:. My thinking, after having played X-Wing, is doing things with a grid would be technically different in cases like the identified different base sizes but you gain so much in no longer worrying about "dang it bumped the mini" and "ohh he's just 0.01 inches from having that shot" that it's totally worth it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also, am I right reading Warpcoven (a non-Sisters team I think is cool) came into existence and overwrote Compendium 1000 Sons in the Kill Team Annual publication? Thus there is a chance, however small, that the 2023 Compendium will overwrite and buff Sisters?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah would Space Marines players be happy if their only modernized Kill Team was Scouts?

Edit so if I do want Warpcoven it doesn't look like they have a box cuz they were White Dwarf / Annual. Am I stuck spending :10bux: on boxes of rubric marines and sorcerers cuz that would be sad

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 24, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
The artillery options for KT Veteran Guard don't seem worth it next to having four more dorkuses with lasguns to sit on objectives and soak damage. Am I underestimating them? Cuz it's a shame they're so conceptually cool and would go a long way to increasing a game group buddy's interest in that team and therefore playing KT with me.

Gonna get a Starter Set and go from there. Goonhammer says it's great value but annoyingly lacks the full content for the included Ork and Guard teams. Agree?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hidden movement game. The marine slinks around the board spawning vampires killing prostitutes uh hiding Imperial relics while the intrepid detectives 'nids try to find him.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah wait what the hell the starter set doesn't give the minis to take the +4 dorks option! What am I supposed to do, buy a whole squad of guardsmen just to use 4 of em?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well I'm definitely grouchy about that. This is besides being told I'd need to buy a separate book to have the complete rules. Hmph. And there's no other efficient starter set option?

Kinda related though what's up with the medikit being a separate mini? I don't see a rule about planting your medikit on the field or anything.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe I could use it as a Mine token instead. Giving the Mine its own base makes more sense to me.

edit ahhh Kasrkins exist as a kill team and I like these rules where they get a pool of Special Boy points. Kind of a style like Acts of Faith. I think I could be happy owning both Kasrkins and Veteran Guard and then the former could sub in to be jabronis for the latter. Or if the rumors of Catachan Guard v Nids come true that would be cool. Hell with it, I'm placing an order and getting in

(Just gonna note this means Imperial Guard has at least two bespoke style kill teams so maybe GW give my favorite faction two also)

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 26, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What if you used model count advantage to futz around trading activations and when the marines are out use your four or so remaining dudes to try and take one of em out (even though you'd eat an overwatch)? Would that work? I haven't played yet.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeh I got a starter set box and as I'm totally new to DIY minis I could use some guidance on miniature assembly (including magnetization) and painting. I have a paint scheme in mind for the Orks at least.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

!Klams posted:

Had another game, (skitarii without sicarians vs intercessors) and won thanks to doing this SUPER hard. Just hid everything from him, then used my stuff beyond his overwatch to gently caress him up. I won the initiative next round, so the stuff in position to shoot him got to go again and suddenly it was 11 guys vs 4 of his, which seemed to be the critical mass I needed to overwhelm.

:hfive:

Another thing I've seen people in battle report vids do is charge a loser into a shooty type Marine, but do NOT actually battle him. You just do this to tie up and prevent his double bolter ability (and overwatch).

Related, who does anyone like for KT batrep videos?

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 1, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Because I hardly even knew 'eem!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Taking a closer look at the Chalnath box I realize the Tau there are kind of a bunch of their faction's scouts too so it's still Compendium if you want Fire Warriors and battle suits. Guess this is common for a lot of factions, that their bespoke teams don't offer what the compendium has, is it?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's just a shame because if Chalnath contained power armor Sisters versus Tau mecha my wallet would already be opened and emptied.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Who'd they beat in the first? Also intercession?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Prepping to try a first game of actual KT. questions

1 what is the point of making a roster, why do I not just pick what dudes are in my kill team. All I can see is "if every mini in your *roster* [not kill team] is painted you get 2 VP" which if they're seriously telling me I have to buy and paint more minis than one team box contains to be Officially Competitive then HA

2 how do I read these mission set up guides, in terms of knowing where to place what terrain?

3 Walls are considered Heavy, Heavy is considered Cover-giving and Obscuring, but Obscuring does not affect units that are close to it, so can guys shoot through walls???

4 not really a question but I'm browsing for starter guides to miniature assembly and painting

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

1. Mainly it's a tournament rule, to moderately limit how much you can flex your kill team to take advantage of your opponent's weaknesses. You share rosters, then both pick from your own rosters. There's little reason to worry about it for friendly games.

2. Not sure what's unclear.

3. It's Complicated. Glass Half Dead has an excellent guide to vision, LOS, cover, and shooting in Kill Team.

4. The OP of our very own minis painting guide has both a great beginners' guide as well as lots of links to more resources.

Thank you, and thanks to Jack B Nimble, Arcturas, and !Klams. I realized shortly after posting that my problem thinking someone could shoot through a wall was that I forgot LoS like a dummy (exhibit 1 in "don't post sleep deprived").

On point 2, I'm referring specifically to the Critical Operations missions in the core book. The Critical Operations ones just have a bunch of measured lines with arrows at the ends that seem to be telling me where to place the objective markers. I read the Octarius missions basically right after posting (exhibit 2 in "don't post sleep deprived") and those are very clear about terrain and also emphasize that the measurement lines are for objective placement, so now I'm just asking to be 100% sure: in Critical Operations, the players place terrain as they will every mission and there is no fixed layout like Octarius, right?

I'm cutting my miniatures from sprues and planning out how I want to assemble em and it's fun so far!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

You should be proud.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
So Veteran Guard teams get 9 picks past the sergeant, and have 13 options that aren't "regular lasgun guy." Basically I look at it like "what 4 guys do I not pick."

What are anyone's thoughts on this? I figured Hardened and Bruiser are two pretty fair "not picks" but after that it's harder. Thinking Zealot and...Flamer? Spotter? But they look so cool.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Legit Businessman posted:

Your VG list should look like this:

Sgt - plas and powah sword
Confidant - up to you, but I think the boltgun is better than pistol + chainsword (except for ITD maps, where you need the melee, and shooting happens at much closer ranges)
Gunner - Grenadier
Gunner - plasma
Gunner - melta
Sniper
Comms
Demo
Spotter
Medic
Trooper vet x4 from ancillary support

On your bench you have the flamer and the hardened that you flex, depending on the matchup. Your flex slots on the main roster are the melta, the medic. Sometimes you also sub out the Spotter, as it can be less good on ITD maps.

Both the bruiser and the Zealot are pretty garbage. Don't take them. You might be tempted on ITD maps to bring the bruiser, it's still hot trash, and not worth the spot.

Just what I was thinking :cool: including preferring boltgun confidant

I bought Kasrkins too and cooked up a plan to model nearly every possible option among the 20 models of the two Guard teams. I can model all five kinds of gunner, a sniper, a comms man, a demo man, four nobodies, a medic, a spotter/recon man, Vet Guard's Zealot, Hardened, Bruiser, and Confidant, and both weaponry load outs of Sergeant this way. Then I give both armies the same color scheme (not sure what yet though) and I can play any model from either list just by having them guest star for each other as needed.

And that's when I find out Kasrkins are larger than Death Korps and use 28mm bases instead of 25mm. Why. They are both Imperial Guard.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm having fun with my first-ever DIY model assembly though. I've already customized them a little bit. I edited my Medic to hold the Spotter's pocket watch (dragon ball radar?) in his left hand while he rushes to his next appointment with his medical bag in his right. Changed his backpack situation from what was recommended too.

My Zealot Vet is holding the Comms Vet's papers in his left hand and I'm gonna reimagine those as pamphlets spreading the good word. He also has the Comms backpack so he can be sure to pick up all of the Emperor's brainwaves.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
^ I like this, I'll try this. With true light of sight being a thing my subbing in types of Imperial Guard is technically changing things too but I'm hoping no one i play with will ever care, and it's enough if I can correct the base difference

the thought occurred to me that the Zealot looks too much like a Comms but I'm hoping to make it clearer after paint by putting like a little aquila with hearts and sparkles around it on the papers. I thought the "tuning in to faith radio / listening to transmissions from heaven" angle was funny but maybe I could also lop off the square comms antenna and put another aquila on there.

FWIW I was also intending to use the Kasrkin Comms guy as the VG Comms guy. He's built as box-recommended so the Zealot should be distinguishable by the holy book and rosary in right hand, and maybe the custom painting (If the zealot even hits the table ever)

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 9, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Legit Businessman posted:

with one minor kitbash, because the sprues don't have enough right arms to make 4 different gunners, even with 2 boxes.

Wat seriously

I'm very glad I'm merging Kasrkins and Death Korps now, drat

I recognize your core point and I'm gonna kitbash this guy further with let's say an aquila hanging off the comms rectangle.

Edit wait how can the sprues be that way? Wouldn't that mean you can't even make 2 gunners out of one box?

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 10, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
That is awful. I lucked into not even noticing with the way I chanced to plot out which guys to model as Kasrkins and which as Death Korps. Thanks for the link, though, because it linked to a Novitiates construction guide and I may need that.

I also gave my running medic the medic's backpack. Put the medic's helmet on the Spotter because it had a little extra magnifier doodad thing on it before I noticed the medic aquila variant emblem on the helmet though. Oh well.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's come time to magnetize my Kommando Nob's arm so he can change between Big Choppa and Power Klaw. I'm afraid I'm gonna gently caress up the magnet placement. Advice?

Annointed posted:

Beat Phobos with my Voidscarred. Got obliterated by Hierotek Circle Necrons.

May I ask how to beat Hierotek Circle Necrons with Coirsair Voidscarred?

What would you say was the difference in fighting the Necrons as opposed to the Marines? What gave you trouble?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Annointed posted:

Getting Shot off the board with the Hierotek's Search and Retrieve alongside them having tanky units that can revive with a ton of wounds.

I don't have guaranteed and confident answers because I'm a newbie. And I don't have any play experience with Eldar. But my brother took up Necrons as we've started KT, and I've seen battle reports of both teams. Try and take out the support bots first. They're perma conceal, so a little hard to shoot, but they splatter like bugs in melee. Your ninja shade runner dude could even get a little lucky and cut one down on the move. With the support bots dead they lose access to a reanimate per turn and/or are wasting their reanimates on support bots instead of heavy guys.

It looks like your Eldar have a lot of power weapons (and that pistolero guy who shoots point blank). Try melee generally because despite your lower wound count I think they lose more power in melee than you do. One crit and one hit from one of your power weapons, which isn't a tall ask with Lethal 5, and you're killing a 10 HP Necron while they need two crits on their bayonets to kill an 8 HP Eldar.

I hope someone else can help because strategy talk is always good.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
So this Critical Ops / TacOps card upgrade pack I'm seeing...

(1) it introduces new rules that only apply to Critical Operations, meaning the missions with player-placed terrain from the Core Book, and including as examples of new rules that you can get 16 VP from mission objectives

and

(2) it also revises the TacOps cards in ways that apply to *all* missions played, including the missions with fixed terrain from my Octarius book

Right? To be clearer, what part(s) of the card upgrade pack apply universally to all games of Kill Team?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Likewise I figure the best thing Battle Sisters teams have going for them is bringing two meltas and a combi-plasma with a heavy bolter on top.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Voidscarred Corsairs are a flavor of Eldar. There isn't a bespoke Craftworld Eldar team though.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe the talent was cursed though considering what Asmodee did to X-Wing.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Annointed posted:

I just beat hierotek circle with voidscarred corsairs.

Hierotek 4 points

Voidscarred Corsairs 20 points

Holy gently caress I don't even.

Report details! How did you even?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cool cool. Thanks for the details. I own Voidscarred myself now because they look like very much my jam. Not played though.

Lumpy posted:

Well there you have it. You have to take the Chronomancer in that matchup: limiting the movement of a team based around being fast is essential.

I was thinking about the concept of counter-picking within the fairly limited operative selection options most teams have (selecting flamer vs horde teams and so forth), but don't formal play rules require you to select your operatives blind to what the other team is? You get to choose only your equipment after seeing the enemy. I wonder if it would be good or bad for the game to allow operative selection after knowing what your opponents' faction is.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

You write your roster blind, but pick operatives from it after you know what your opponent is running. Most teams can fit every operative they actually want on a roster with ease, anyway.

Most bespoke teams are balanced around the idea that you are counterpicking your team's best operatives for the matchup. The handful of bespoke teams that can't counterpick are stronger in other ways to compensate (and often some of the best teams in the entire game).

Ohh awesome. I like that a lot more than the alternative. But because your roster is blind, you still wouldn't pick e.g. whether your Kasrkin sergeant has plasma pistol chainsword or bolt pistol power sword in response to the enemy, right?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Unfortunately Kill Team poorly equips the players for the incidentals of actual play, and lacks conveniences like unit data cards. On which you could also place order tokens and damage markers to avoid the board-cluttering silliness of moving chits and dice around with the models to which they are assigned. I plan on crafting my own data cards.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mountainside Tabletop's KT videos are pretty good but I think it's kinda funny how during team intros when they do the bit where the guy with the other team says "the thing I'm really concerned about on my opponent's team is..." 4/5 times the blank is filled in with "their plasma weapon or non-Imperium equivalent."

Plasma strong.

I also have watched 2 Casual. They have solid production values, if they tend to visibly look at cue cards they're reading. They also seem to get rules wrong pretty often and maybe aren't so good at the game but they look like they're having fun with it and I agree with that.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
If I buy the Phobos Kill Team can I use the bits and bobs in the box to model Intercessors as well (magnetizing arms and whatever is necessary)? Or, if I buy a box of 40k Intercessors, can they be Phobos? I assumed Phobos is the better pick because they probably have many specialized doodads and maybe I can swap out for plain bolters and chainsword. I would love to get 2 for 1 value out of buying sixty bucks of marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Here's a Kill Team video with a cute trick in it that I don't fully understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqtff7mpP9s

Corsairs player puts a barricade in a hallway such that there is physically no space for a Chaos Cultists Torment to fit its large base, and the players discuss how this was a "trap sprung" moment that gave the Corsairs player an unassailable position in the hallway. The setup for the gotcha is in the beginning of the video but they start discussing how it works at about 12 minutes. I don't get how exactly that works. I see how a Torment can't fit its base on either side of the barricade but why could it not Traverse the barricade?