Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

amigolupus posted:

NuTrail and Randy's Popeye are somewhat interesting to me, in that both authors thought that the best way to modernize an old IP was to give their female leads their own adventures. I can get their reasoning, in that they don't just want the characters to be defined as The Girlfriend/Wife, but both Jules and Randy go about it in a way that is somehow more misogynistic. Cherry and Olive don't even feel like they're part of the main cast at all, and this strip where Cherry runs into Mark just highlights how they have nothing to do with each other at all.
Randy doesn't do the Olive comic. Randy draws Popeye, Emi Burdge draws Olive. They're separate comics that happen to run as a single feature.

This is actually a pretty fun idea.

Doomykins posted:

I see your point about us mocking Montoni's in Crankshaft vs the same failing business in Forth but there are some significant differences. I don't know the full history of the antique shop that Sally's sister owns but it seems to be a long held business and we can sympathize with her desperation to hold onto it and not face the facts.
The weird stretched-and-compressed endless now of comic strip time makes it difficult to know how long anything's been going on, but Jackie opened her shop just a few years ago, pretty much on a whim I think? It's not a new thing any more, but it's not a family business or something she's been working toward her whole life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

EasyEW posted:

No strip for the 5th, but get a load of the announcement.

NOW STARRING MARMADUKE THE SEA SERPENT.

What a way to announce Lefty's demotion.

Sorry to see this. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the 1930s through the eyes of a communist kid. It makes sense, though, actual 1930s communist kids probably preferred to read about sea serpents.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Big Nate

Good for them.

Solid lol from the big Nate

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm gonna buck the trend on this one and say that this hits me personally, not because Sally's mom reminds me of real-life horrible relatives, but because Sally herself does. By which I mean, she clearly treats the whole relationship as primarily obligational, that she thinks of herself as a person who is good because she looks after her mother and has a relationship with her, with no regard to what her mother actually wants or who she is as a person. And to the extent Sally does consider her mom as a person, it's as a broken-down fuckup from a past generation who deserves her pity, and therapy, not like Sally herself who's fine with just pop culture fantasies and girls' nights out. A lot of this feels like the kind of self-justifying fantasy the relatives I'm thinking of would come up with. As in, they'd probably describe my behavior as identical to Sally's mom and have even blown up at me just as Sally did, and it would be gratifying for them to have a version where they're indisputably in the right and everyone they know is patting them on the back for screaming at me.

I kind of agree. The comic portrays Sally's mom as a complete piece of work, but even so the person here who is most in the wrong is Sally for bringing her to her house against her will. The mom doesn't need therapy (well...) she needs her daughters to treat her like a human being instead of a decoration to be displayed at the holidays.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

We need another week of strips in that dark future timeline where Crankshaft is almost dead and getting wheeled around in assisted care.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

The weird stretched-and-compressed endless now of comic strip time makes it difficult to know how long anything's been going on, but Jackie opened her shop just a few years ago, pretty much on a whim I think? It's not a new thing any more, but it's not a family business or something she's been working toward her whole life.

When the shop was first introduced it was when Jackie went to work as an employee there. Even then it was a weird little shop with no customers and Jackie's job seemed to be to keep the owner company more than anything else. Jackie and Sal wondered how the owner could afford to keep it open at all, let alone pay an employee. I'm pretty sure there was speculation that they might be laundering money or otherwise covering for some illegal operation.

So naturally when the owner finally decided it was time to close her failing business selling weird crap no one wants to nobody, Jackie bought it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tiggum posted:

This is actually a pretty fun idea.

I'm gonna be the buzzkiller here and point out that if the gutter's that high it's going to splash and cause erosion issues. Ideally you should be burying it to drain away from the foundation.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

we need to bring in a young character like Hayden because 23-year-old Dustin and his younger sister surely are too old to do the "what's an antenna?" punchline

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Kids know what a loving antenna is

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

I am not understanding half of these at this point. These specific ones are a bad example of that (the first one in particular is quite straightforward) but way too often Out Our Way has been reading like an incomprehensible inside joke lately.

Born [something] Years Too Late

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Oh man, this I was not expecting.

Attacking With the Wife!

hahaha!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Huxley posted:

A+J Mega Holiday Catch-up Post

These are always cheerful and pleasant to read, even if I usually don't notice you haven't posted them until there's a catch-up post.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Rose is Rose

I guess I'm posting this now! Just know that when we get to a feeder fetish/"Motherhood instantly turns Rose into a Rubenesque woman" strip or That drat Baby I'm going to quote the posts who asked for it.

(If there are any other GoComics strips not currently being posted that people want to see, let me know; this is part of my routine now.)

Here's my end of year thoughts:

• Archie rules, even though Archie himself is a schmuck
  • Wallace is the best comic strip of the last decade
  • Arlo & Janis is a strip I gain a new appreciation for every single day, in both modern and classic installments
  • Vargo pointing out earlier this week that a significant portion of Holbrook's output reads like Dilbert - if Dilbert was completely sycophantic to Management/Big Tech - really hit the nail on the head

I AM GRANDO posted:

We need another week of strips in that dark future timeline where Crankshaft is almost dead and getting wheeled around in assisted care.

Wasn't that Dark Future Timeline just...normal Funky?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 27, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Zippy The Pinhead

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The less comprehensible an old-timey comic strip is, the more I enjoy it. I still haven't figured out the Out Our Way from earlier this year with two kids in a tree filling water balloons full of acorns or something and throwing them down onto the street. And that's just great. past is a foreign country and all

also that wacky seattle duck being so flippant about the slow demise of a generation's youth is really incredible

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wallace the Brave and Crabgrass are my favorite comic strips that started in the last decade, Flash Gordon and Hägar the Horrible are my favorite legacy strips recently taken over by new artists, Arlo and Janis and The Lockhorns are my favorite long-running strips, Prince Valiant and Archie are my favorite vintage strips, and I love to hate Dustin. I also want to honorably mention Dark Side of the Horse, Out Our Way, Jucika, Bardiche Hotel, Scary Gary, and Krazy Kat. This thread is a treasure, and I am grateful to everyone who keeps posting comic strips, even though some of those comic strips are Intelligent Life.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

If there's liquid water coming through the drain, then your snow gargoyle isn't long for this world.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

For next year's thread I'll keep posting Scary Go Round, because I kind of made a joking threat to start posting it and nobody's told me it's garbage yet, and it's still in the period where it's not yet hit its stride. I expect it'll get to the "good part" in a couple months at my accelerated (3 days per day) pace.

At the beginning of 2023 I joked/asked about doing Doonesbury From Zero, because at that time someone was doing Blondie From Zero. If there's anyone who would like to see it come to fruition I'd be interested in finding a format that works for that. It's a much more traditional comic strip so a week's worth of Doonesbury From Zero would take up less screen space than my current three strips per day of SGR, and unlike SGR, Doonesbury has been going for over fifty years.

If folks would like, I'd be happy to start doing Doonesbury From Zero in 2024, but regardless, I'll keep doing the Scary Go Round archives.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 31, 2023

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Bruceski posted:

God, even if it was Copper that'd be savage but Maggie?

It does make sense in hindsight. Maggie fell for Copper Ma acting like a pathetic wimp when she went to see him in that training camp. She's convinced herself that she 100% loves Copper Ma now, but seeing him lose again and again has made her doubt her decision. She's got sunk cost fallacy by this point decided she needs to do anything she can to preserve the lie that Copper Ma is unbeatable and she chose to back the right man.

This is a cautionary tale about what happens if you get Copper Ma-pilled. :smith:

Hostile V posted:

It's Actually About Ethics In Competitive Gardening

lmao Rudy's shocked face.

Holbrook's shocked face reminds me of how Lynn draws shocked faces in Foob. Just this upside down triangle mouth that looks awful, especially when they draw in teeth.

The_Other posted:

As for the Lottie / Solver comics, I think the problem is that while Allison know what he doesn't want to do with the character, he doesn't know what he does want to do and keeps trying different things, which don't always end up working as well as some of his past stuff. The logical thing would be to follow Lottie to college, but that was ground Allison covered in Giant Days. The 6 issue Wicked Things had a decent concept (Lottie gets framed for murder and has to work with the police to clear her name) but that same concept constrained Lottie's actions (she works best as a kind of loose cannon) and Allison drifted away from the core plot and the story was left unfinished after 6 issues (Allison had been hoping for 16, and to be fair it seems he learned his lesson with the 4 issue Great British Bump Off staring Shauna). Solver had an interesting idea, Lottie tries to turn her mystery-solving abilities into problem-solving abilities, but Allison only really had two "cases" featured this, and the side plot of Lottie's first real romance wasn't as interesting a it should have been.

One of Allison's strengths as a writer is having a strong ensemble cast who bounce of each others' personalities well and you see this in all his works. However, his problem is that he keeps breaking them up and having them go their separate ways. Lottie in Wicked Things, Claire in Solver or Shauna in Great British Bump Off are good ideas, but I don't think the characters are strong enough to carry the series just on their shoulders. Yeah, Allison comes up with side characters for those comics, but it's just not the same as them hanging out with Mildred, Sonny, Jack or Linton. Which is a shame, because the latter three get absolutely shafted in screentime as Bad Machinery progressed. So while it's realistic for friends in middle school to grow up and go their separate ways, it just kind of sucks from a storytelling perspective.

Some Guy TT posted:

Is this just Funky Winkerbean now? Crankshaft is barely even in it anymore. Or maybe it just feels this way because they won't shut up about this stupid restaurant. Incidentally one other thing that's pushing my contrarian view on Sally Forth is that mom's comment provoking the blow-up was about a very similar situation that the thread's been mocking here- how Sally's sister is running a failing business she barely even seems to understand. I really doubt there's any way Sally's mom could have commented on that mess which wouldn't have seemed like a brutal attack.

You just know that in Batiuk's smirk-filled mind, this still isn't Funky 2.0 unless he has its main character make an appearance. Having Funky appear is like whatever to him because it only counts when Les Moore makes a cameo in the comic.

Tiggum posted:

Randy doesn't do the Olive comic. Randy draws Popeye, Emi Burdge draws Olive. They're separate comics that happen to run as a single feature.

Ah, so that's the situation. I don't know... Even if they're separate comics, surely they could still have Popeye or Olive appear in each other's strips in a more supporting role? I think the problem is just that they might as well not exist for the other person's strip. Thimble Theater has Popeye go on this mad quest to beat up some dudes, yet he still takes the time to worry about how Olive is doing. And as others have brought up before, the deluge of obscure characters being used for the two strips adds nothing of value. They just clog up the space that could be used to show off the core cast's misadventures.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

The hell is this strip talking about? Dethany always sees things from a positive perspective. That's her entire schtick, that she's Not Like Those Other Girls Goths. She's twee as gently caress and is absolutely insufferable to be with.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "472 - Jucika, As A Ski Coach"

"473 - Jucika, As A Wrecker"

Kazinsal posted:

If folks would like, I'd be happy to start doing Doonesbury From Zero in 2024, but regardless, I'll keep doing the Scary Go Round archives.

I'd be interested! And Scary Go Round can be rough around the edges but is always pretty good. I think there's less a bad period of it and more an awkward start where John realizes that Rachel and Theresa aren't as likeable as the rest of the cast.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 31, 2023

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

I'm too lazy to collect my thoughts right now but I might put together some comments for the new year's thread. I'll also try to update my recap of Val at some point for those who came in late.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

And thus concludes 3 years of Nancy dailies. I may pick it back up in several months, but for now, I need a break. I do have 6 more years worth of content though!

I flirted with buying the Pluggers book and scanning it to share the horror, but I'll spare us all for now

I'm dealing with some vertigo/dizziness, so I don't have a lot of collected thoughts about the various strips, but man, Intelligent Life and Funky Crankershaft both suck poo poo.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

hosed up.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (April 3-5, 1922)

Getting strong Don Martin vibes from this art. Missing a good KHASPLOORCH.

This thread has been going on for so long now and I know some of the authors either read it or have participated here in some form.

As an end of the year exercise, do you remember any published authors that came around these parts?

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 31, 2023

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

HELLWORLD WILL NEVER DIE AND I WILL POST THROUGH WHERE THE PROJECT STARTED UNTIL THE SERPENT DEVOURS ITS OWN TAIL SO THOROUGHLY ALL IS ONE AND ALL IS MEAT, MERCILESSLY WASTED MEAT

Argyle Sweater's gonna stick around too.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

If there's liquid water coming through the drain, then your snow gargoyle isn't long for this world.

Oh no! Quick, let's give it sentience before it's no longer capable of being aware of what's happening to it!

Mokotow posted:

This thread has been going on for so long now and I know some of the authors either read it or have participated here in some form.

As an end of the year exercise, do you remember any published authors that came around these parts?

someone started posting Blind Alley stuff from the Patreon ahead of public availability, and the author had to write a Patreon post asking them to stop. That count?

I'll sum up my comic thoughts later, but echoing the sentiment that this thread rules so much and I'm glad to be part of it.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Also who the hell calls it the holiday baby?

Edit: Sorry holiday infant. That's even stupider. Is baby new year copyrighted or something?

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 31, 2023

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

The world doesn't need two Dustins, Zits.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (April 3-5, 1922)

The Powerful Katrinka is a feminist icon.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

Classic Spider-Man, compared to the newer stuff, seems pretty loaded with anticlimaxes.

quote:

Compared to newer Rex Morgan, classic Rex Morgan seems every bit as tangentially related to the existence of a doctor somewhere.

quote:

Is it just me or does classic Mary Worth have a lot more background and detail than the newer one?

quote:

I have lost track of who exactly is writing Nancy in the eighties but it's much closer to older Nancy than newer Nancy in tone and vibes.

quote:

I'd say classic Beetle Bailey is good but since we never read modern Beetle Bailey, I honestly don't know if the improvement or devolution is especially meaningful.

quote:

I like this one mainly because I enjoy seeing what stores used to look like forty years ago.

quote:

Dick Tracy

Of all the Dick Tracies that could be posted in this thread, this one feels like the most off-brand.

quote:

Footrot Flats

I love that dog. He's a good dog.

quote:

The Lockhorns

There's something almost aspirational about the very specific way these two make each other miserable, as if they know that they (and life) are full of it, and need the reliable reminder from someone else to keep from going insane.

quote:

Computoon: Origins

You know, at this point I think we can safely say that this comic has never made sense.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Pancho Jueves posted:

The world doesn't need two Dustins, Zits.

Dustin and Zits often exist as two sides of the same coin, but I am almost always willing to forgive Zits because it's overall a wholesome strip with a family that likes each other (and in this particular case, I Agree With the Cartoonist's Opinions.

Next year I'm going to continue posting what I post, it's worked well so far. However there hasn't been much reception to Alley Oop since I started posting it. I like it enough to keep going but if there's not interest, my own interest will peter out eventually too.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Some Guy TT posted:

I have lost track of who exactly is writing Nancy in the eighties but it's much closer to older Nancy than newer Nancy in tone and vibes.

Ernie Bushmiller did Nancy until he died in 1982.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Mokotow posted:

One of the co-creators of the My Cage strip was briefly active in a previous thread until that old-fashioned strain of brutally honest goon criticism ran him off, which seemed to happen a lot during that period of the forums. There was also that brief window where Francesco Marciuliano was reposting thread edits to his blogs. and an in-strip shoutout from Kevin Frank of Heaven's Love Thrift Shop:

But let us never forget...

Otterloop posted:

A friend told me about this thread 6 or 7 months ago, saying it's written by actual newspaper comic strip fans, close readers of the form who hold passionate opinions. So I started lurking, not so often as to be creepy, but enough to get a feel for what the readership is thinking. I'd sworn to keep my mouth shut and my head down so I didn't sway the conversation, or stifle the debate, or something.

But the hell with that; I want to thank you for the various kind words about Cul de Sac. Those who didn't care for the strip (it did take some getting used to) resisted snarkiness and I appreciate that. Those who enjoyed it were generous with praise. So again, thanks. You've been a great crowd. And I loved the little animations, especially Dill running in tight circles.

All best,

Richard Thompson

ps: I'm just quitting; I'm not retiring.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (December 26, 1976)

Crankshaft

When Mindy said "We just have to keep doing this every day!", she left out "for the rest of our lives".

Also, thinking about writing this up for the next thread reminded me that Mindy used to have a comic book gig too. We know Pete suffered from burnout, but what's her story? (He said knowing full well that the answer is "Silly poster! Women don't get A-stories in this strip!")

Li'l Abner finally touched home plate. (July 1-3, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 4, 1940)

Popeye

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

There's something oddly therapeutic about how We Are Reproducing packages educational premises about childrearing in a format clearly intended for men, that neither condescends nor panders to them, while still maintaining a fundamentally feminist tone.

quote:

We also have a new, seasonal chapter of Bardiche Hotel: Chapter 9, Snow

Definitely one of Q-Rais’ most Adventure-Time-lookin’ characters yet.

Can a comic be too weird? Probably not, but if it could, Bardiche Hotel would qualify.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

And thus concludes 3 years of Nancy dailies.

Thanks for these. My partner's grandmother (who also had horrible vertigo) loved Nancy and it has hopefully given me some insight into an amazing woman's humor and life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I mostly want to say thank you to all of you thread regulars. Extra thanks go to people who are manually scanning in old/obscure comics from books or papers, and even more thanks heaped on top of that for the people who are translating foreign comics into English for us. And of course, I raise a glass to the actual authors and artists of all these comics, without whom we wouldn't have a whole lot to talk about.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

FoxTrot