Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sundae posted:

If it's just that loving skeleton again, I swear to god...

"You died the first time we told this story Phantooooommm..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

So, what, he's four feet wide still?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

If the announcement is "to prove your commitment to the sport you need to cut off your families"...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

:china:

That's badass.

That's either overkill or they decided to take out the whole prison. Fingers crossed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

The server is also doing Ed a huge favor by giving him a heads up that the dishes are designed to be split. My mom literally cannot wrap her head around the concept when she visits. Even though she has requested to revisit restaurants where they do it. We'll sit down, and she'll immediately say, "I'll have the chicken," and put the menu down. Guess it's a boomer thing

Not a boomer thing, it's a boundaries thing. I have my own dietary restrictions/preferences, if I order my own food I don't get in anybody's way and they can eat whatever they like.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

"Did you launch a grenade?"
"...no."
*explosion in distance*

Look, it's not Savarna's fault the foley for a grenade launcher is the most satisfying sound in the world.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Alhazred posted:

There really is a norwegian christmas cookie called sand cookie. It's dry and crumbly and no one really like it, but it's traditional !

I make some Passover Mandelbreit that needs a glass of water handy. So dry, so crumbly, so tasty.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This one reminds me of how a cat's purr is more akin to a groan but since we associate it with just the good versions (which, ideally, we experience more often) there's a lot of stories of cats who are "happy and cuddly despite everything" when injured. Get that dog to a vet, don't take it nuzzling you as a sign of health.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

]
Hagar the Horrible

I read this as a fake cocaine joke and I'm sticking with that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I never got the real answer to the truth/lie guards in Popeye. I do like how they handle it.

You ask A "What would B say if I asked them if their hallway was safe".

If B is a liar:
If hallway A is safe B would lie and say "yes", then A says "yes"
If hallway B is safe B would say "no" and A will say "no".

If B tells the truth:
If hallway A is safe B would say "no" and then A will say "yes".
If hallway B is safe B would say "yes" so A says "no"

In either case a reply from A of "yes" means hallway A is safe and "no" means B. You are guaranteed to have one and only one lie in the answer.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Towze (another name I can't place):

I looked this up, Socony is the Standard Oil Company Of New York, later to become ExxonMobil after a few mergers. No idea what 1920s context is needed for the punchkick-line

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

He's gonna free everyone in the prison I bet.

If I remember right the whole reason he feels he owes Savarna is because they rescued his wife from this same prison? I bet when she heard the story she had some opinions about what to do with the place.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

At the risk of starting a derail, isn't a hoagie just a sandwich on long bread, same as a sub? Is this some lexical thing where in a random neighborhood the term refers to a foodstuff that is only a sandwich in theory because it's open-faced on half a loaf or something?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Drakyn posted:

In comical strip news, the dilberter man has only continued to accelerate his whatever the gently caress after being exiled from this thread.

Presumably this is part of his master persuasion plan where he cunningly acts like a huge piece of poo poo so people will be fooled into thinking he's a huge piece of poo poo. The rubes.

Now he can claim he's dropped because he's Cancelled, not because he hasn't even been newspaper-grade funny for the last 20 years.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hostile V posted:

I had to go into the archives for context and I'm miserable now but the long and short is that George got pinched by a bunch of pelt harvesters who were also holding Ophelia having mistaken her for a groundhog (they were after groundhog products) and she's being hunted in the sense that she's running from organized crime.

I thought the point was that ermine fur is still fashionable in Murderworld?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Oh! It's...those...people. Yes. The ones from before you see.

I recognize Cricket Bro and Professor Bee Sharp or whatever his name is. Old moustache guy on the right looks familiar as well but I can't recall who he is.

We're rooting for the bears in this arc, right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Ah, the person who becomes a vet because it means they get to play with animals all day. I'm sure something will make me hate this guy later, but that's a classic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

I unironically love the contrivances of a good sports drama.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

For a comic that's so fond of its formula, I don't know how it keeps surprising me when the punchline hits.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

I know this is some shadowy people orchestrating a plot of some kind (with complications) but I'd love if this was an escalating series of people bungling fixes to other people's screwups. Some fraternity stages the murder for a gag, campus security covers it up, someone else "finds" the killer for their own assumed favors owed, and so on until there's like ten different group[s in the aftermath of a staged hostage situation that vigilante students tried to be heroes in, and Tracy is trying to figure out who to charge with what.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"Here's my new song, Buck Is a Dick, hope y'all enjoy it!"

I bet he stole Truck Tyler's songs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

"There is no after all" doesn't quite scan well out of context, but in context it's a great panel.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mister Olympus posted:

the expression is "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down" but holbrook remembered it as a screw, and also misremembered it as the positive version, when hammering down is a bad thing. the positive version is "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"

Pretty sure it's getting tightened down so she can't leave despite poor working conditions. Unless people are misreading on purpose and I missed the joke.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Gil Thorp

Now, when it comes to sports I don't know Shinola from that other stuff, but I'm still reasonably confident that the answer to Marty Moon's question is, "Basketball is a different sport than baseball."

Not everybody can be Bo Jackson.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hippocrass posted:

Not everybody can be Michael Jordan.

I honestly forgot he played baseball, would've been a better pick yeah.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

I assume yes, but is mr "of course I considered that tactic as well" supposed to come across as inept and sycophantic as he does?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 11, 1956)

I'm going to call this shot:
Brother is arriving in similar conditions, people loyal to William and fearing another cruel master offer to lead it astray. He has to choose between the qualities of a True and Just Lord or getting to claim the title at all.

Edit: just realized what would naturally follow.
The brother, raised on stories of their father, comes prepared for a fight assuming he has to rescue the castle. Val's presence and vouching for William (along with a chance for him to knock someone around "safely") defuses the situation. Happy ending for all where somehow people end up marrying who they want to.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 22, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

the answer is yes, with 9 bucks left over. They can celebrate at Arby's.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Was this the payoff for "everyone was up close expecting a bunt" that was set up in the first game, or did I miss that already happening?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

davidspackage posted:

These are very fun and work really well for phone scrolling!

I find it very satisfying when single-panel comics use the format and how we parse things to still have setup and punchline.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

I like this one. Simple joke, good delivery.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I had to double check the date on these comics, because holy poo poo you wouldn't easily guess this wasn't intentional. But then I guess people wouldn't have been cracking jokes about it for a few years yet.

For those who napped through history class...

Yowza

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Archie gets the window open and then takes the time to write a message in cursive upside-down.

Absolute legend.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pull up! Pull up!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Just taking our cats on a nature hike, nothing weird about that.

I've known cats who like walks. Not my own though, when I had to harness-train him for a cross-country drive he'd just lie there and whine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

Levyraati was an old Finnish TV show, where they would play music videos for hot songs and then a panel of musicians and journalists would rate them. For this one I have no idea. A musician friend says that the theme song for Mission Impossible is indeed in 5/4 time signature, so that might be the joke. The Finnish word used here can mean both rating and estimate, so maybe the joke is that Heimo thought he should estimate the song's time signature?

Who knows.

That's what I would assume for the punchline, yeah. 5/4 songs are relatively uncommon, though not unheard of (and there's enough music out there that "uncommon" means there's still a hundred of them). The most well-known (to me) would probably be The Mission Impossible Theme, Take 5, Everything's Alright from JC Superstar, and Mars, Bringer of War (this one plays a lot more with rhythm than the other examples so can be difficult to catch, I had to check the sheet music to be sure when I found out).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Ballparking from the silhouettes in the first panel that's a 100-foot yacht. According to Google that's about $30 million.

Mary, this guy has Cartel ties or something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The_Other posted:

Kit + The Wolf Greetings True Believers!

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

For those unfamiliar with Marvel's Bullpen Bulletins here's the wiki article.

Given the New Mutants' reputation, I think that might be an actual issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

This is a legitimately good strategy imo.

When done for tipping it's textbook abuse, not sure that changes with a kid.