Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some Guy TT posted:

I wanted to ask for an avatar-sized version, but I'm not sure it can be done without keeping her absurdly juxtaposed line intact.

Some Guy TT posted:

I really liked this panel from the penultimate Demons of Baseball update. Pity it's not avatar-sized.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm not that skilled and I've noticed that the few people who still do edits usually get passed by with no comment. It just doesn't seem to be what most people are reading for these days.
Yeah, the focus of the thread has definitely shifted. It used to be about posting and making fun of current strips, and has gradually shifted to the point where it's mostly about posting and enjoying old and foreign strips. The former led to a lot of edits, whereas the latter encourages more passive consumption. I miss the old version. I scroll right past most of what gets posted these days - especially stuff that's already been run through in its entirety at least once before.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Who was posting the Judge Parker catch-up strips? I keep wanting to read the comic again but I'm so far behind and I don't have archives access because Comics Kingdom sucks.
That's me. I haven't given up, I'm just really bad at keeping up with this thread lately.

kidcoelacanth posted:

we really don't say enough about how much legend of bill sucks
It is impossible to accurately express how much Legend of Bill sucks.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I like Randy and I like that he's doing Popeye but that is an S*P strip with the character designs switched out
They all are. I think some of the earlier ones were better but I suspect that, like Jules Rivera, he can't keep up with the deadline so he's half-arsing it. Except in his case that just means he's basically writing the comic he's been doing for decades and can churn out in his sleep.

Selachian posted:

There's only one person "Frankie" could be:

In the 40s, Sinatra was famous for making girls in his audience scream and swoon, hence the gag about his music making the pigs squeal.
Looking like that? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ajqN4Qf-bY

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kavak posted:

Is no one going to question why the ring is on her middle finger?

Right (wrong) hand, as well.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 4/24-26/50

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

"Remember how Mark blew up a boat that one time?" was funny the first time. It got old a while back. Now it's extremely tiresome.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth
As though the Forths don't vocalise their every thought without any kind of filter at all times anyway.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbK4zK-XDM4

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

An essential element of the puzzle is that you only get one question. If you can ask a second question, it's trivial. You ask anything with an obvious answer then which door to go through. There's no need for any kind of cleverness. Popeye's question is no better than "Are your feathers green?" or "Which direction is opposite to north?" or "How many fingers am I holding up?"

Cowslips Warren posted:

And I do like how the standard D&D player does:

Barbarian beats one guard to death. Asks the other if that guard is dead. Now we know who the liar is.
Sure, you know which one is the liar. But that's not what you're trying to find out. You need to know which door to go through and you just wasted your one question.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City
How is there still anyone alive who doesn't know that "sushi is raw fish" is incorrect?

somepartsareme posted:

Wasn't the boat explosion from her first Mark Trail arc? Or was that a reference to another famous Mark Trail boat explosion?
The latter, I believe.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hempuli posted:

Wait, isn't fish used in sushi/sashimi literally raw fish (unless it's been specifically cooked/blowtorched, of course)? I mean, filleted and all, but nevertheless? Or did you mean "alive" instead of "raw" there?
Sashimi is raw fish. Sushi is a category of foods based around rice, often wrapped (with other ingredients) in seaweed. Raw fish is a common ingredient but not universal - cooked fish or just vegetables are also pretty common.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/10-12/40

What the gently caress? :stare:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

:golfclap:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse
I also miss getting home from school and logging into MSN Messenger.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This is at least the second time this "joke" has come up; what the gently caress does Kelley think teenage girls are doing that's using so much data?

I loving hate how every character in this comic consistently refers to that dog as a "frenchie".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

For the first time since February I have finally caught up on this thread again. Which means you all finally get to catch up on these!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPfwGTCswTE

Look forward to April's video tomorrow!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qajgLgd0W-k

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I tried to make Macanudo less terrible:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN8ZE8-34pU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qljW_lIgvUU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

:golfclap:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery
That bottom row is so good. :roflolmao:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

I am incredibly witty

Mister Beeg posted:

A-chan B-ko-chan Expedition Log
I was mostly able to follow this comic to the point where they recovered the diamond, but since then it's been incomprehensible non-sequiturs. Are they still in the pond? :confused:

PainterofCrap posted:

If word gets back to Gunther that his folks planned a cross-country gently caress-a-thon, and that Mom's trying to get them to live that dream for them, that idea just withered on the vine. So to speak.
It's doomed from the beginning. Remember how he went to Peru with his previous girlfriend but left her there and came home almost immediately?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/7/41
This comic is so good. :haw:

Meteorological seasons are far simpler than the astronomical seasons you foreigners use. No need to care about what day the solstice or equinox is, seasons start at the beginning of the month. Easy.

Selachian posted:

Archie 9/2/47
"Teenagers kissing? This I gotta see!" :stare:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay this guy is 100% about to die

like literally "about to" as in he's apologizing for making them deal with the body and aftermath with his actual last breath
My guess is, he knows it's not the place he used to go to and that the whole thing is put on for his benefit, so he's just apologising for his son making them play along with it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

Nu-Nancy hits way more often than it misses, for me. It's me, this series is aimed at me in particular, and I greatly look forward to it.
:same:

Cowslips Warren posted:

ugh Home Free is just disgusting. the art, the plot, everything. I'd swear it was some fetish of the artist like Glorious Master.

Julet Esqu posted:

I don't know what the hell is going on with Home Free. It's awful, but I can't look away.
Although I don't particularly like Home Free, I really don't understand why so many people seem to hate it. It seems completely unremarkable to me. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

The concept is dumb as hell and a decent comic could stretch it out for a week or two max; Home Free promises to probe the depths of "What would happen if a family remodeled their whole house at once and lived in the back yard??" forever until the syndicate shitcans it.
Sure. But that doesn't explain why people hate it so much. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Feels like this story is going nowhere and taking forever to get there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Drimble Wedge posted:

Still better than "preteens second-guess themselves, wordily" "our entire lives revolve around eating".
Nancy? And... Kevin & Kell? :crossarms:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

catlord posted:

I'm pretty sure in the blurb about the comic when it started that the kid talking to animals was going to be the main thing, so I was also assuming that the renovation would be wrapping up after that ability was established. Maybe the primary setting is going to be this uncle's house?
I don't know how or why this unremarkable comic is breaking people's minds like this. The premise is that a family is camping in their backyard while their house is renovated, and one of the kids talks to animals. That kid can still talk to animals and will do so again, and they'll be back to the backyard after the stay at the uncle's. The renovations will take an implausibly long time so as to preserve the status quo. Sometimes they'll get to stay somewhere else for a while before returning to the backyard. Sometimes the comic will follow one of the family members, and other times they'll do something together. It's not about homelessness or people who are homeless. They have a house that they are voluntarily choosing not to live in so that it can be renovated.

Murdstone posted:

This is making me try to think of how many comic strips have changed their premise. Like Barney Google and Snuffy Smith is now basically just Snuffy Smith. Fritzi Ritz became Nancy. On the Fastrack has always been about office stuff but the focus has changed. The Robotman strip has already been mentioned.
If you wanted a Holbrook comic as an example, you should have gone with Safe Havens. It used to be about a daycare centre. Later it was about a university. For a while it was about a trip to Mars. Now it's about merfolk.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/22/41
I'd say that Brenda Starr had better watch out, except that Scarlet will get distracted and forget all about the newspaper within about two weeks.

Not that the same isn't also true of Brenda.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

After School Ghost Stories

My not translating the sound effect might make it a little unclear, but Viewpoint Guy accidentally punched the telephone pole.
I got that bit. The transition from "are you ok" to saying goodbye and walking in opposite directions seems a little sudden though.

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

Iso Numero = Big Number, a magazine about charity topics; it's sold for 5€ with a scheme that homeless people and others who'd otherwise have to resort to begging can sell the magazine in the streets and keep... all of the money? Part of it? I'm not entirely sure.
Took me a moment to notice the broken sign in the background and figure out what the joke was.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I think this might be another UNTRANSLATABLE FINGERPORI

The newspaper headline can be read in two ways, due to the way Finnish grammar works:
"A giant pike-perch bit on 16 year old Jyri's hook"
"A giant pike-perch hooked 16 year old Jyri"

"Jyrin" can either be the genitive (the possessive) form of Jyri, ie. "Jyri's hook". It can ALSO be the accusative form of Jyri, meaning Jyri is the target of the verb, ie "[got] Jyri on his hook.

Can anyone think of an English translation that would in some way capture the pun?

"Giant fish sets record for biggest catch."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Damnit Mary, you need to get your meddling rear end out there to save some dogs. This is taking as long as the Phantom did to save Savarna.

No. It's not even close.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

pencilhands posted:

Would anyone be interested in a thread solely for discussing mary worth? is that allowed?
I'd participate.

What does that have to do with "doomscrolling"?

Julet Esqu posted:

I read that and thought, "Dudly Ford, but isn't that..." And the answer is yes! Yes he is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9f94S5FLMk
I love that video. :haw:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

An Taoiseach posted:

The only danger of a shift in main characters is if Ces jumps to the “Hil’s 20-something adventures” like you feel he wants to
I have always said that instead of ending Apartment 3-G they should have given it to Marciuliano.

Murdstone posted:

Maybe I'm alone in this but I can't stand Baby B-Bomb.
Nah, I'm not into the super-baby plot either.

Bruceski posted:

Leads off with intimidation on someone who's got no reason to treat as hostile ("before you panic" suggests the idea of panicking, "bad choice of words coming from an armed woman ha ha", "as far as I know you haven't done anything wrong"), woefully underprepared with the names and relationship of the people she's investigating, vague allusions rather than details. I hope she's intentionally being depicted as incompetent/over-antagonistic, because this has my hackles up right away.
It's great. :sickos:

Murdstone posted:

Same thing happened with Newspaper Spider-Man where I wound up with a story about a millionaire that makes a robot gorilla costume to do crimes.
I remember that one. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This post intentionally left blank.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 14, 2023