Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Powered Descent posted:

And with the new year, let's celebrate the triumphant return to the thread of Slylock Fox by Bob Weber Jr.! It's a long-running comic for kids, featuring simple Sherlock-Holmes-type mysteries, plus games and puzzles.

Wait, Slylock Fox invented and used the device, not Count Weirdly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Magic Fish: "That's cool. I wish I was in an actual clean and healthy-sized aquarium rather than this tiny stifling fishbowl, choking on my own waste. Perhaps in some magical fantasy world, at least one of our wishes could be granted."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

And unfortunately for Tooie, Joe was still holding the fishbowl at the time.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

I'm definitely going to tell a small child that time zones are a form of time travel at some point.

Tangentially reminded of a five-year-old old GameFaqs Breath of the Wild Thread, where the original poster is incensed about Japanese magazines apparently breaking day-and-date review embargos, is reminded about time zones and insists that "There aren't time zones that are 12 hours apart from each other."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I guess the fax is getting installed so the brunette guy doesn't have to use signal flares to communicate with people outside the office anymore?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Yeah, but I can't see that lizard in the tree as anything but a chameleon, which would be Africa.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/5-7/40

Okay, so Invisible Scarlet O'Neil can see herself normally when she's invisible, but can't see herself in a mirror. Does she ever encounter other invisible characters, and can she see them?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/12-14/40

Where are they right now? Is Scarlet planning to stay invisible on this train ride, regularly bonking Mr. Badly in the head for the hours or days it takes to get to New Jersey?

Also, isn't Badly the kid's legal guardian, now? Can't he just write a letter back saying,"Thank you for the offer, but we can't take in a dog right now." Instead of fleeing to California?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I wonder if he's based on a real person the artist has met, or has a photograph of.

That said, I assumed [Jerry] was also blind, but I guess the strip is probably only going to introduce blind people with canes or dogs.

Rereading; Yeah, this is a bit weird. "Scarlet has decided to stay invisible to everyone, but will still interact with people like she's visible, because she's decided everyone she meets in Johnstown, New Jersey is blind until told otherwise."

maltesh fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 1, 2023

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Given that it's 1940, possibly not, but since " It is used in eye drops as a cycloplegic (to temporarily paralyze accommodation), and as a mydriatic (to dilate the pupil)." according to the aforementioned Wikipedia link, Scarlet's probably going to dump it in Badly's eyes for that old-fashioned retributive justice.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Countblanc posted:

I feel like it's a dream sequence at this point, probably starting after Miles asked his mom how to deal with it (then going to sleep off screen).

Crabgrass goes some weird places at times. There was that Wrestling Match storyline where Miles' dad was almost kidnapped by a colony of mascots living in catacombs under the arena.

I might be misremembering, but I think that was a presented as a "Huh, well that happened." event?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Yep, adding one more to this. This was what we did when I was in elementary school in the late 80s.

Early 80's Catholic Elementary School in the midwest. Also passed out valentines to everyone.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Had a hunch, did some googling. Both monsteras and snake plants can self-pollinate.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Payndz posted:

I've tried and tried, but I only get "Nonsense, this is an election year" vibes from this one. Is there some wordplay I'm missing about the giant and dwarf planets, or is the joke literally "We traded Mars for something else"?

I'm tangentially reminded of that Niven short story in Tales from the Draco Tavern, where Europan native aliens colonized subsurface oceans on Mars, and were waiting patiently for Humanity to get there and make first contact, but Humanity got distracted by the routine visits from the starfaring aliens that most of the Draco Tavern stories feature, and basically stopped space exploration, so they show up at the eponymous Tavern asking to buy the planet.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Green Intern posted:

And the next day all these people are going to be furious their toys don't talk.

I believe the writers have end-run around it by saying that the buyers think it's ventriloquism. The kid's the only one who thinks they actually talk, and the only disappointment will come from people who show up tomorrow having been told about this kid's amazing ventriloquism to find out he can't do it anymore.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

catlord posted:

So, it's weird that in Hellworld there are two different sizes of insect, right? That's not just me?

Size guarantees citizenship.

Would you like to know more?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Huh. Learn something new every day. I'd assumed the U.S. Draft would have started after Pearl Harbor, but it started in September 1940, with one-year initial terms.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

This is true. Also, the border collie has decided to be permanently human, and is married to the State Governor, according to the Wikipedia article.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

fondue posted:

Nice, his skull is shaped like his hair ...

Likely genetic; I assume "Bumstead" is what the family's surname became when it was changed at Ellis Island.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Looks like you're missing the bottom panel on the March 14th Calvin and Hobbes.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Selachian posted:

What a twist, huh? Someone ought to write this stuff up and send it to M. Night Shyamalan.

"Also, I have boatloads of cash in my wallet, some car keys, and an apartment key? And I was told I had amnesia. Oh well, no need to investigate the name I was checked into the hospital under."

Drakyn posted:

Wait isn't this just them straight-up loving in front of everyone? Exchanging pollen and everything?

We were previously told that they deliberately chose plants that couldn't pollinate each other as DNA sources. (They did, however, chose plants that could self-pollinate, but presumably Holbrook didn't know that.).

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Hippocrass posted:

Thank God Scarlet was wearing two extra inches of felt on her head or that could have been nasty.

Printing the full home address of several children and advertising they each have a whole dollar.:magical:

Comic book letter columns would also publish your address, so other fans could write to you directly.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I don't think this is possible on any recent US car; I believe diesel nozzles are bigger than gasoline nozzles?

I was not paying attention once at the gas station, and wondered why the the nozzle wouldn't fit into the gas receptacle on my vehicle.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"But we want "Muddy Boots'!"

Oh god, this is the a disguise of that guy who sued the Morgans over the Doggo Twins characters, isn't it?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

You're doing biological research (purportedly) and your test tubes often contain fast-acting mutagenic substances. Cleaning them with the floor-dragging tail of a living snake sounds like a terrible idea.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 14, 2023

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Hippocrass posted:

Are we supposed to know who Wendy is?

According to Wikipedia and Comics Kingdom, Wendy Rommel used to be Rose's Assistant. Dethany (From On The Fastrack!) was introduced as Wendy Rommel's assistant. She's now married to Art Welding (The large guy whose job apparently is to look busy).

From the sparse information available, there do not appear to be any mutated animals in their family tree except for possibly the Moat Monster, who presumably is no longer head of Security now that Dethany's husband is.

Wikipedia also notes that the comics been running since 1984.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Loose diamonds are pretty transparent to x-Rays, though. That said, a skilled radiologist probably wouldn't have much of a problem spotting them, especially if asked to look for them.

Hostile V posted:

I think the submitted drawing is Monika from Doki Doki Literature Club too.

And that symbol on the jacket is from the Scout Regiment from Attack on Titan.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Julet Esqu posted:

A Good Comic

"Oh crap, I've been dead for 70 years."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Slylock Fox

Look on the bright side, at least they aren't stuffing the apples with nitroglycerin and sand.

Honestly, they just look like born scammers to me....

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

Tennis ball, obviously. Desert islands have their own sticks, and how are you going to throw a frisbee without ball-and-socket shoulders and opposable thumbs?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Well he's gotta be on the ship anyways, right?

That's him in the orange with the hat and beard, hiding behind the pillar in Panel 3, isn't it.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Selachian posted:

Julet Esqu posted:

^^^Some kind of "In Soviet Russia..." gag maybe?

Luann

Suzy's Zoo is a real thing, and it's more saccharine than a case of '70s Tab.

That looks enough like the Suzy Spafford as depicted on that page that I'm thinking this is a deliberate promotional cameo.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

davidspackage posted:

Correct :hai:

Okay, just before everyone gets sick of em, last bunch:

And a blank template, in case you want to make your own (it's transparent, put a white layer underneath): https://i.imgur.com/DCY2rrM.png

Scarlet O'Neil
* Gorgeous
* Clever
* Honorable
* Who are you and how did you find this book?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Green Intern posted:

She was using the mansion as a storage business without telling him, and it was probably targeted for burglary because people knew there was Stuff there.

He found out about the storage business though, called her, and made her shut it down.

I think the big thing is possibly that she considers the burglary her fault, and doesn't want him to know that it resulted in her falling down the stairs, going to the hospital, and not staying at the house for weeks subsequently because she didn't feel safe there, because she doesn't want him to feel he has to stop his Business Stuff and rush home.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

As opposed to open-ended question tests?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I suppose the preparation make a difference, but, isn't "winged" the default for beetles?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Doomykins posted:

If Count Weirdly's time machine worked he would've killed Slylock when he was a defenseless toddler. :smug:

The Time Machine definitely worked at some point, Weirdly was using it to strand his kidnapped neighbors in the distant past a few months ago.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Not to pre-empt the plot of Luann, but I feel all of these efforts towards secrecy are undermined by liveblogging them.

Yeah, Tiffany's storage business ended for a similar reason.

This seems like a passive-aggressive attempt to force the issue with Gunther and his Mom, because even if she's tuned out Bets' video feed, somebody she's told about Bets is going to see these videos and draw her attention to this.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Does the day care employee think Rudy is one of Turvy's parents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I realize this can be said about nearly everyone in this strip, but wow what an awful friend.

I'll bet an arcade token Mom's waiting outside the door she's about to sneak and sprint out of.