Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

After finally completing the 2021 and 2022 DLC for 2020, my hope is that 2023 is a standalone experience that goes in a new direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

My big hope for gaming this year is that the Steam Deck gets released in Australia.

My gaming resolution for the year is to write more about the games that I play.

I suspect I'm going to play a lot of RPGs this year as more and more of them creep into my backlog, and also Baldur's Gate 3 is releasing.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm still working from home a lot, and most of my gaming is at the same desk that I work at.
The big appeal of the Steam Deck for me is to be able to still play a bunch of PC titles but to do it on the couch away from my workspace.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It's going to be very difficult for me not to buy a PS5 this year for Final Fantasy XVI.
I know that it's coming to PC but I don't know that I've got the fortitude to wait a year for that.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've spent many years joking about how I have gaming ADHD as I often just bounce rapidly between games without finishing any of them.

Turns out no, I probably have actual ADHD, been through a few rounds of assessments now with a big one this morning, and now have a final appointment booked end of March for a final diagnosis and treatment plan.
Feeling some very mixed feelings about finding this out at age 36 and my brain is trying to cope with it by going "hey, well, maybe you'll finish more games now".

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've been playing River City Girls 2 (off the cuff assessment: better than the first game, still flawed) and Walkabout Minigolf VR, the best VR game ever made.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

#MassiveBlahBores.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Tomb Raider Go was the only one I played but it was a lot of fun.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I know the chat thread is a fan of Cool Videogame Witches so here's Blaire from River City Girls 2.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Rarity posted:

How sassy is she?

Hrm. I think sarcastic is probably a better descriptor than sassy.

exquisite tea posted:

Can you play as the witch?

Sadly, no. :(

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Aaaaaahhhh that's so drat adorable. :3:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Khanstant posted:

what does the third mario brother look like

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Chev posted:

Forgive the impromptu catpost but after 18 years of loyal fluffiness my cat's now chasing balls of yarn in Valhalla. I am sure he'd have had many interesting things to meow about 2023 releases.

Sorry for your loss. He was one majestic cat!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I haven't played a single game yet this year, feels good man

:chloe:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hey I'm gonna shill for Roadwarden. People should play Roadwarden, it's really cool.

It's a text-based RPG (with some small pixel art location and item images but that's about it) where you're sent to a backwater peninsula in the North of the continent ostensibly to act as roadwarden (a wandering ranger/messenger/problem solver) but in reality because your merchant's guild paymasters back in the big city want to case the place and work out how they can best exploit it. In addition to this you have a personal goal that you select at character creation, and the game will rapidly drop a number of central mysteries on you that you can choose to explore, or not.

After that you're left to your own devices in this fantasy world. Most of the game is managing your resources in the form of health, armor and cleanliness as you travel the roads, and just time generally - a lot of quests are time sensitive, each in game day is finite (and you need to be back at safe shelter before sundown to avoid getting hosed up), and you only have 40 in game days total before you need to return to the city and the game ends. The other half is managing relationships as you encounter various characters and settlements. Most people are slow to trust you, and it takes work to make them open up and start telling you the truth, and they'll remember if you lied to them or acted against their interests.

For those of you who absolutely hate the idea of a time limit, there's a difficulty mode that removes it, makes certain quests a little easier to progress and gives you a little more money at game start. I'd personally encourage you to play through with it on though, I think it adds a lot. The game world is interesting and well written, familiar fantasy without feeling overly generic and cliche, and I found the prose lean but evocative and only noticed one or two typos in my playthrough. Some of your choices are just for fluff (filling in backstory in a similar way that games like Kentucky Route Zero and Norco have played with) but many, many others are hard decisions that have consequences. I managed to solve one or two of the big mysteries in the setting but there are plenty that eluded me and I plan to do another replay some time this year to try and get to the bottom of more of it.

I have written significantly more words about this game over here if anyone wants more detail.

There's a demo available as well.

Roadwarden, good game, please play it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It’s me, I’m the one person who is sad Skull and Bones is delayed again.

I just want more pirate games.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I was going to buy a PS5 for FFXVI but the Steam Deck is finally available in Australia so I'll probably buy that instead as that will get quadruple the playtime. It'd be a harder decision if the PS5 had more games, frankly.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Feels, how did the port of Elevator Action Returns end up? Should I buy it?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's good OP

The default control bindings are fucky on the pc version apparently

Good enough for me.
Looking forward to hearing 'Crush the old order and create a new society!' again

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ubisoft have a gameplay thing up for Skull & Bones.

Great fuckin' UI, Ubisoft.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

10 years to make a worse Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and I'll still probably buy it because I'm brokebrained about pirate games.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Wario Land chat - Pizza Tower is out in 2 weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlq6fFOqI28

Looking forward to this.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I said come in! posted:

This is meant to be a multiplayer competitive game right?

Originally, yes, in one of the many iterations of this game that was completely retooled.

Now it's designed so you can either play it solo/with friends just PvE or you can play PvPvE
Details are light on how any of this is going to work.

Barudak posted:

It could be good, they've had 5 years to steal ideas from Sea of Thieves

They've had 10 years to steal ideas from AC Black Flag and given that there doesn't seem to be any boarding or melee combat I'm not sure they've even managed to get that far.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

hearing more and more people say "bring back chat thread bingo"

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Looper posted:

help i'm starting to find things to like about balan wonderworld :negative:

ThorHighHeels' video on it convinced me to grab it when it was on sale though I haven't set aside time to play it yet.
It looks interesting as well as bad even just from a 'what were they thinking?' standpoint and I think that's always more engaging than just playing a mediocre game.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Recoiling from this like a vampire from a crucifix

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Please Permaban the weird psychoposters from the chat thread, as they have made it incredibly fail. Thank you

hatty posted:

I can respect banning Harry Potter if it keeps that chat thread from getting this tedious

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Everyone should play Forspoken, which Rarity is already calling

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Mods are asleep, post posts.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I don't want to be working. I want to be playing video games.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm gonna play Hi-Fi Rush when it comes out later.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hi-Fi RUSH is the first game I've played this year that was actually released in 2023 and so far it's pretty fun!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Khanstant posted:

anyone played pizza tower yet

Yeah, it's very good. The animations are big and over the top and grotesque that gives the game a very powerful "Wario energy" despite being very different from the Wario Land series. The music is jamming, the controls are very tight and responsive and when you chain everything together and are flowing through a level annihilating everything in your path it feels great.

Upcoming game Antonblast (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1887400/ANTONBLAST/) looks to be a spiritual successor to both Virtual Boy Wario Land and Wario 4 so now we just need some spiritual successors to Wario Land II and III and I'll be happy.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Rumbleverse was neat but as an Epic exclusive a whole bunch of people either didn't know it existed or just refused to play it because it wasn't on Steam.

I had a lot of fun playing duos with a friend when the game came out, I fell off it mostly just from wanting to play other games but I thought there was a lot of potential there. Shame to see it shut down, Iron Galaxy can't quite seem to get a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hot Dr. Pepper Strawberries and Cream trip report thanks.