Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So can you ever point out bad poo poo about Louisiana sports or something? Because Kim Mulkey seems like a horrible human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

Sure I can. But not today, I'm celebrating.

but you never do man. whenever any controversy comes up, you go silent, if it relates to LSU, the Saints, etc. which, like Freaquency said, is fine. but own it and just admit to being a normal sports person with horrible viewpoints! :)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

Never claimed to be otherwise. :)

I try to stay positive in general in life. My teams aren't perfect, and I never claim they are, but I do enjoy watching them play. It's sports and life is too short to complain about everything.

Oh ok, so just a chud. Got it, well, congrats!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I’m probably not welcome here and I’ll apologize for being a giant rear end yesterday, but for those in areas that will support it, a Chinese Pistache can be a really nice, beautiful tree.

Not sure how well it does in more northern parts of the US, but for the southern states, it’s a pretty good tree.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

please plant native trees if you can, they will actually thrive in your environment, they'll attract native birds and pollinators, they'll be less likely to fall over in a storm or randomly die on you, it's just a great idea all around to do it!

I’d prefer to, but my wife and at least one of my kids are horribly allergic to a lot of native Sonoran Desert plants and trees, so while we plant native out front, I’ve been trying to put low-allergen plants in the backyard so we can enjoy them and the yard when the weather is nice.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

That does suck, and I think planting fruit trees that you'll actually harvest is a good alternative to natives. If you do decide to plant a non-native that also isn't a fruit tree, maybe try and get something that's sterile so at least it doesn't spread on its own in some future decade.
Our only non-native plant is our Chinese Pistache, and I made sure we received a male tree, to prevent spread, by getting the Keith Davey variety.

Qwijib0 posted:

This!

Chinese pistache are everywhere around here now, along with African sumac and Aleppo pines and like, look y'all there are desert willows, palo verdes, mesquites, ironwoods (or even Arizona Ash if you want the deciduous experience).

My wife is allergic (asthmatic) to every single one of those, except Arizona Ash, which we’re considering putting in our front yard. I’d love nothing more than to put a Palo Verde in our yard and watch it grow.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Manoueverable posted:

Seeing the Mario movie getting mediocre reviews is a bummer. After some of the ads involved I was really hoping they'd nail it.

Yeah, the early trailers had me excited for maybe taking my 5 year old to see it, but now, eh…

Kalli posted:

So many vital parts on a person's body and that guy missed all of them....

Stormtrooper accuracy on display (more ways than one)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

There go some slippery nipples

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Isn't this basically over half the country?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

DeSantis is also lucky that Bob Iger’s former friend Steve Jobs isn’t alive, because the mercurial Jobs would have probably had Apple take aim at DeSantis too.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Jerry Springer died.

:rip: to...something or other. That's one way to live a life. Started off with some principles of some sort and it's like at some point his brain just went full 'be on TV no matter what, and boy did I find a way to do that!' And whew did he make that happen.

Hey, I feel like if you end up being called out/named in a Weird Al song, you must have hit it big.

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, just off the top of my head, we already had RE4R, we have Zelda next month, SF6, FF16, and AC6 this summer, FF7 Rebirth, Silksong and Hades 2 sometime later this year, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else major.

Yeah, I agree. Should be a good year

I'm excited for Zelda, but also D4 coming out in two months, plus FF7 Rebirth.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

It’s a stark reminder too that all the undead racist shitbags in congress who are trying to take us back have working adult knowledge of a worse world they’re trying to bring back.

What scares me are all the young shitbags who also want to go back to that worse world.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I still have an account since I haven't deleted it, and going back to John Cusack chat who I didn't know was on the platform since I never sought out celebrities to follow my brother is a capital P Poster it seems. He has a lot of thoughts he needs to get out.

None of the thoughts are bad and most are pretty damned good from brief browsing, but there are a lot of them.

I think John Cusack is actually a pretty decent human being? I remember reading stuff but now my sleep-deprived/damaged brain can't remember.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I figured I would post in here since I mentioned it yesterday in a GDT, but still waiting to hear the results of my mom’s testing. The oncologist and hospitalist definitely think it’s cancer, just not sure what type. My mom said the growth started earlier this year, from something quartersize, to the current 4-ish inches in diameter. The X-rays show it went below the skin also, so they’re doing more imaging on that, and plan to do a bone marrow biopsy in the area. Initially the first few doctors thought it looked like basal cell carcinoma, but the hospitalist today said he thought it had grown too quickly to be basal cell, if my mom’s timeline was to be believed.

They also have been doing more imaging on her upper right shoulder where the boney lesions appear, and were going to do abdominal and chest CT and MRIs.

When I first got her in yesterday, she had a white blood cell count of 51,500, and they put her on Zosyn, then eventually (and still) Vancomycin. The internist had told us she officially had sepsis per criteria and the testing completed. In a little under 24 hours, it brought the count down to about 48,000, but it seems like if it were just the sepsis, it should have gone down a lot more? Which makes me worried it’s due more to the cancer than the sepsis.

So overall I’m in a little better place than yesterday mentally, but I’m still worried about how far along she might be or where it spread, and then what her prognosis will look like.

And making it worse, my dad is the definition of human poo poo, and basically expressed no interest in going to the hospital to see her, because he’s mainly worried about their little dog. When I brought up some of the stuff, he mentioned needing to take the dog to the vet because he couldn’t lose “both of them”, and I called him out on his general lovely attitude and history and we haven’t talked since. My mom doesn’t even really want him to come to the hospital anyway.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I won’t go into a long ramble like the other day, but my mom’s biopsy came back and her growth is Stage 4 melanoma. I think many of the various scans they’ve done so far have come back with no concern or such (lungs, brain, liver), but they know it’s spread to a lymph node in her groin. The internist on duty depressed her with the news and his thoughts, but the oncologist cheered her up some by saying it’s treatable, it’s good it hasn’t gotten further, and they’ll come up with a plan.

So we’ll see where it goes, and take each day as something special, and I’m hoping she’ll be around a few more years with her grandkids, but still an emotional wreck.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it! I’m trying to keep my hopes up that it hasn’t spread too far, etc., but given her age, health condition, etc., I also realize the challenge she faces. But she wants to fight to be able to spend as much time with her young grandkids as long as possible, so hopefully we’ll still get a fair amount of time left.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Small change, mechanical keyboards. I need these babies to click when I shitpost.

I was recently on a work call and talking while also typing (possibly poo poo posting, who knows!) and someone on the call asked me "What's all that clicking going on?". So I had to explain my love of mechanical keyboards...

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Thaddius the Large posted:

I’m curious about the apparent lack of a gas cap, a situation that would surely go well

My 2020 Honda Odyssey doesn't have a gas cap. There's a spring-loaded seal that opens/closes when you put the pump nozzle in, and of course we all know that springs never wear out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

It's still only 11:30 here in AZ but my neighbors are lighting off fireworks like it's already midnight. I knew it would wake me up :argh:

Happy New Year goons!

Happy New Years fellow AZ goon, and yeah, they've been going since probably 8 pm in our area, and it was hard to get the kids to sleep.