Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
About to install Outer Wilds. I bought it during the sale because everyone raved about it and I think the genre sounded appealing? But I don't remember a single thing about the game so I don't think I've ever gone into a game as blind as this. I hope it stands up to your hype!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

pentyne posted:

You owe it to yourself to play until you are smashing your head against the wall in frustration because you can't figure out what to do next, and then look up the solutions. I kind of regret doing it instead of solving everything but the whole story and presentation is so incredible that it was worth it.

I'll keep this in mind, as I spoiled some amazing reveals in The Witness by buckling too soon and looking up guides.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Thanks for the non-spoiler tips. Right now they are just confusing the hell out of me because I don't remember what the game is about AT ALL. :)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Well, I'm 40 minutes into Outer Wilds and I think I hate it. Flying that ship and visiting ruins on other weird planetoids and the controls are really annoying me. I hate playing first person games with a controller but the flying sections really need it so I'm always swapping between them. This might be my first refund.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I'll give it another 40 minutes or something, and take a look at the key binds to see if I can get them better suited. Maybe the flying will feel better then, as it seems like it will be a huge part of the game.
Glad a bunch of you love this thing, but maybe it's not for me.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

GrandpaPants posted:

I really liked the exploration but the way the game is constructed meant that I couldn't take my time actually exploring and absorbing details and looking through nooks and crannies. Then having to do it all again to "finish" the exploration is real unfun for me.

I'm generally real bad with real time pressure though (as opposed to like, X Com complete in x turns time pressure), so this could just be a me thing.

Yeah ok, this is a red flag. An exploration game where you need to solve mysteries but also have a strict time limit AND have the do the same thing over and over is sounding like something that will not appeal to me. But I'll give it a bit more of a shot and see.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Morter posted:

I'm this new potential gang tag:

While accurate, I'm not sure it's something I want to advertise - right now it's kinda on the down low. But having said that, maybe it pays to advertise?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Anyone played the System Shock remake demo yet? Full game due to release next month.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

exquisite tea posted:

Dark Souls 3 felt like it had more mimic chests than actual chests.

At that point you have to blame the guys building chests that look like weird box monsters.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

20 hours into Subnautica Below Zero and I just love tooling around in the ocean with my sea truck and then jumping into the exo-suit to go see what's down in those deep holes. It gets a bit tense doing wreck penetration with limited air and hoping to not get lost, but apart from that its mostly cool af. Until I got to a zone that made my computer say "warning, leviathan class creature in this area" and that got things going a bit.
Not worked out where I want to build a super base yet. Got something basic in the shallows but really want to get a big facility going if I can find a good spot for it.

A friend tells me he can't play it because of the horror of the unknown deeps, but I don't get that at all. It's just a blast rummaging around these crazy biomes and trying not to reach my crush depth.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Jagged Jim posted:

He's probably thinking about the original Subnautica instead of BZ. I never really had a problem in BZ but I just can not finish OG Subnautica because it's just too scary for me when I reach the "We need to go deeper" phase of the game.

You're right, but I was the same with that one too. Loads of fun trying to get deeper and braving those edges.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Wishlisted Everspace 2 after some posts here making it sound like something I'd get into, but that means I need to ask about the first Everspace. Is that worth getting as well?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Thanks for the info on Everspace, those who posted it. Doesn't sound like the first one is my cup of tea, so I'll skip it. Cheers.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

StarkRavingMad posted:

I wish there was a REALLY GOOD space trucker game. Elite Dangerous is probably the best in that category, but it's boring doing trade runs there for the most part. Give me a game where I can do long hauls that take awhile but I have to adjust course and deal with equipment malfunctions. Like I want something that's more about keeping the ship on course and running and dealing with environmental hazards to make deliveries, and less about every issue just being space pirates again.

I haven't played E:D for literally years, but I loved getting out in the buggy scanning for stuff on the planets. It would be great if I could find procedurally generated cave systems to drive through looking for weird stuff tucked away. I guess I'm thinking about a space version of exploring with the PRAWN suit in Subnautica, minus the water.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Phobeste posted:

My gamer, windows 7 is almost old enough an sa moderator would not be interested. It is time to move on

My other PC runs Win 7 still because upgrades to Win 10, both in place or fresh, make it hard lock. Maybe Win 11 is ok, but I'm not pleased I have to do something about it.

e: and if I ever write a game, arachnophobia mode would start out fine and slowly everything would become more and more spider-like. Free exposure therapy!

Gromit fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 28, 2023

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

The trailer on Steam is voiced by Matt Berry, too!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I enjoyed Torchlight 1 and 2 so bought 3 on sale thinking maybe everyone hated it because they hated the earlier ones too.
But no, 3 really felt half-baked, like it needed a few more months to make a fun game. Very disappointing and best avoided.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Epic Games exclusive, I think, which is why i missed it releasing.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Games should have more sexy robots. I mean, it's all downhill since Fisto in Fallout, but we can at least give it a try.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I want a full sized truck wheel complete with suicide knob

And a loop of rope overhead that activates an airhorn.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

The Looker is a parody of The Witness, so it helps if you are familiar with that amazing first person puzzle game.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

With The Witness, if a puzzle looks like nonsense you probably missed an earlier one nearby that worked you up to what it needs you to do. Or, if you're like me, you're too dumb anyway and it doesn't matter. So then you look up a guide and get the amazing reveal part spoiled which I regret immensely and wish I'd persevered at least until that cool part happened.

Then you play The Looker, which is silly fun but also has a few legitimately difficult puzzles but at least can be finished in a reasonable time even for a dummy like me. And the final puzzle makes it all worthwhile.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Wiltsghost posted:

Titan Quest 2

I think the first one had 6-player coop which was perfect for my friend group. I hope this one has that too, as there are too few coop games that support more than 4 players.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Being one of the rare 6 player coop games, Killing Floor 3 is probably the only release-date purchase ever for me and my friend group.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

kazil posted:

sorry, no can do

Cat Quest 3

Can't argue with that logic. I hope Matt Berry isn't just voicing the trailer.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

ken levine's a fuckin dweeb who has made the same game for the last 20 years, and it sucks

can you guess what his next game is, that's right, the same poo poo

I love this kind of aesthetic and have never given a poo poo about story in any game I've played so I'm looking forward to it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Flair posted:

Thank you for Titan Souls!

Oh! I was wondering why I couldn't get Tits 'n Souls to activate.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

fez_machine posted:

Any good satin games?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/562410/Panty_Party/

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Jossar posted:

The Max Rebo Band has broken up, and it's up to you, playing as Max Rebo himself, to put it back together in time for their big gig on Coruscant!

A Max Rebo prequel would be better, so we can see where all this Jizz is coming from.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Sway Grunt posted:

It's Friday night and I'm listening to John Cale. Stake your claim for one of these games if you're interested and I'll PM you a key.

- Hollow Knight

This is supposed to be pretty good, yeah? Happy to grab it if it's still available, thanks!

e: and received - cheers buddy!

Gromit fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 6, 2024

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Begemot posted:

Yeah, I think the last one I actually finished was... Assassin's Creed 2? All the others I play until I get bored of the gameplay. Got pretty close with Syndicate and Origins, but didn't quite make it over the finish line.

I played the absolute gently caress out of Black Flag, and it has been so long since then that I can probably play it again and not remember any of it, which is sounding like a great idea.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I just finished playing Scorn, one of the games I bought during the Xmas sale. It's a first-person puzzle game with a few shooter elements (which are a bit disappointing and probably would have been better without). The big draw-card is the art style based on Giger and Beksinski:

I absolutely loved the environment and creepy-rear end poo poo you had to do, but disappointingly it was all over after 5 hours. I paid $24, which is ok for an hourly rate compared to other entertainment, but I've had way better value out of other games. Especially as this has no replay value.

The story is complete madness, and most of the puzzles are pretty well done but there are a couple that could have been workshopped a bit more to sand off the edges. I needed someone to look at a guide and give me a small hint to get through one section, but worked out the rest myself. I'm pretty stupid, so it's not a brain bender (the one I needed help with required a non-obvious interaction). I would thoroughly recommend this at $10 if you want to be disgusted by things every few minutes.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

The 7th Guest posted:

the only AI ppl should talk about in here is AI the Somnium Files/Nirvana Initiative

No, it's Al from Happy Days. Yep, yep, yep...

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Propaganda Hour posted:

丂匚ㄖ尺几

I really* enjoyed Scorn but it only took me 5 hours to complete, so keep that in mind should you think to buy it normally.

* I mean, the pointless combat element could have done with being dropped, and the time they spent developing that should have gone into making more levels.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Owl Inspector posted:

It should be illegal to put a colon in the title of a game that isn’t already part of a series, or maybe just in general

HOGs are the only ones that should be allowed to use colons. They pretty much cornered the market.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Scalding Coffee posted:

First Gamer

- Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Defender
- Computer Space, Pong, Asteroids
- Tennis for Two, Spacewar!, Draughts

I remember when Space Invaders hit the arcade and I was mesmerised. I was too young for Pong, though, so don't remember seeing that anywhere.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I've enjoyed my time with Hollow Knight, but I think I'm close to done after 30 hours. Everything left, as far as I can tell, is boss fights that I'm way too poo poo to beat, so I think this game will have to remain unfinished.

What I don't like about these sorts of game is that I never know if I can't do something because I don't understand a game mechanic or because I haven't unlocked an ability that's hidden away somewhere. And because I'm an old gently caress, my reflexes are poo poo so I have to assume it's a skill issue whenever things seem tough, rather than a lack of gear/upgrades.

Still, a quality metroidvania even if it is too hard for me.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Serephina posted:

For HK, if it's a boss fight that's blocked you, it's a skill issue (there is like, one fight that's too hard, but it's near the start of the game and there's a NPC on your walk of shame who'll chat you up and tell you to come back later); but this isn't a problem as the game is stuffed with optional bosses. If it's a platforming issue, it's probably a metroidvania unlock thingie that's blocking you. If it's 'the common mooks are too hard / I keep dying to attrition", then it's back to a skill issue, but that's fine as, y'know, nonlinear game and all that.

I hold HK up to the gold standard of the genre, and it's a shame that you've bounced off of it, might I humbly ask that you come back after a while? You'll have forgotten where everything is, but the boss fights will probably be easier with a clean start.

It's just a few different boss fights, and especially some that have a bit of a complex path from the nearest bench/save. The platforming is great.

I think what would make it a lot better for me is if I had any way of knowing how close to winning any of the big fights I am. If I knew I was only a few hits off killing something I'd keep trying. If I was barely touching them then I'd just call it quits and either come back later if I find more health or just skip it and maybe play something else.

As an example, I unlocked the boss in the red carnival tent at the starting area, and that thing pushed my poo poo in repeatedly. I'd beat him, and then "no, sorry, another phase to go!" so I came back after getting more health and better charms. Eventually killed it, but I wish I had some reference to how well I was doing during the fight. I might be at the stage now where I need a guide to find the rest of the charms, in case there's some that really make a difference.

Having said all that, I finally got the ability to dash through enemies and damage them and I think this has increased my boss survivability by quite a bit. Pity it, presumably, does very little damage.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Kragger99 posted:

Not sure if you've mentioned it, but you have upgraded your nail, right? Also make sure try different combos of charms you have unlocked and see how they work.

That's the problem I have with these sorts of games. Is upgrading my nail twice enough for this boss, or do I need more? There's no way to tell - maybe I suck (likely) but maybe I'm here too soon. With no feedback on how my damage is scaling against boss health, I have no way of knowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Serephina posted:

lol, that carnival is a post-game DLC. 'gratz on the first kill, hope the charm it unlocked serves you well. There's a much harder mk2 version of the fight for bragging rights alone, just ignore it. The carnival will also try to sell you some charms for an unbelievable amount of money; it's egregious on purpose - they're a money pit for when players have run out of things to buy lategame and are swimming in cash.

Urgh, okay then that's hate number 2 - no way of telling if a fight is required, optional, hard DLC or what.

Anyway, it seems like I've got a lot of complaints but I've now got over 30 hours in it so I'm obviously enjoying it for the most part. Looking at a list of where all the charms are has at least shown me some map areas I've not found (I've found all major locations though), so there's still stuff to do that's within my grasp. I even discovered I could ignore that carnival fight and do some stuff with their offsider that made that boss disappear.

I got stuck in an area at some point and had to look up how to escape, and it required me to use a mechanic I'm sure was never shown to me - attacking down on things to bounce on them (not just enemies, but also spikes). Did I just miss when this was shown to the player?