Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is Metal Slug 3 the one were the final level was full of clones of one of the PCs and it was aliens all along which you team up with the badguy army against?

Because that's the best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Valve once designed a simple puzzle that a playtester couldn't figure out for an hour and removed it from Half Life 2 because they were deeply worried about it.

"Playtester" doing a lot of heavy lifting, since my understanding (from talking to devs) is that playtesting is basically done at every build possible and a lot of it is usually tedious poo poo like running your character along every wall of an area so it actually functions like a wall.

wait is this the "maze" that I heard of

did it get cut specifically because the tester assumed that the usual maze solution of "hug the left wall" was the way to figure it out and they ran in circles for an hour

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I could use a memory-deleting gun on any video games so I could play it brand new for the first time again, it would be Obra Dinn.

e: Second game I'd pick would be a tie between Dangan Ronpa 2 and the Hitman 2016 trilogy.

this post has revealed that you have not played outer wilds

play outer wilds

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Death's Door's postgame was really good, but my one complaint about it (and the game as a whole) is there absolutely should have been a boss fight at the end. I loved Titan Souls and I would have loved a rematch against Truth.

The Grey Crow and the final boss have absolutely fantastic boss themes, and the game's extremely dry British humour is very much my jam.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think there might have been a bounty on posting proof of account sharing, like people were buying one account and sharing it with all their tumblr friends to dodge the paywall and if you outed one you got plat for free.

edit: also it wasn't slowbeef and co, it was a guy named orenronen who did a real good localisation as he played

double edit: I think I remember you could also turn in account sharers and get an account yourself if you didn't have one, turning the tumblr people against each other? Maybe my imagination conjured that one.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 10, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

HopperUK posted:

Wasn't there a little gathering of Dangan Ronpa fans and one guy printed the paywall 'register an account to keep reading' screen on a t-shirt and went as the paywall? That was cute.

I think it was an anime convention or something

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

John Murdoch posted:

Something full 3D with action and open world elements (or really just any kind of tangible exploration, doesn't have to be a full blown Ubisoft iconfest), but without relying on the same repeated sandbox formula where you toil away space trucking between generic space stations so you can afford to make numbers go up a tiny bit and exploration takes the form of "sometimes you see a pretty skybox". Like I want to zip my little ship inbetween the wreckage of some huge gently caress-off dreadnought to retrieve some cool bespoke weapon, then when pirates inevitably ambush me I can use the terrain to my advantage. It's probably going to sound dumb as hell, but basically the same kind of well-rounded experience as something like the Arkham games or Tomb Raider or something but you just happen to be in a spaceship. Explore/sneak/fight, find collectibles or upgrades, mild RPG elements instead of insanely meticulous and granular ship customization.

Or to say it in a different, snarky way the absolute complete opposite of Elite Dangerous.

If you want the sense of discovery and wonder in space distilled to its purest form (but limited to a single solar system and with no combat) I cannot recommend Outer Wilds enough.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

John Murdoch posted:

I have a brain disease that makes me consistently forget Outer Wilds exists, but yes that definitely goes on the short list of games that are in the right ballpark.

Can you share it? I would like to completely forget my experience with Outer Wilds and play it again.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gromit posted:

About to install Outer Wilds. I bought it during the sale because everyone raved about it and I think the genre sounded appealing? But I don't remember a single thing about the game so I don't think I've ever gone into a game as blind as this. I hope it stands up to your hype!

Eagerly anticipating a "I don't get the hype, this just seems like a mediocre rpg shooter" post as the wilds/worlds distinction claims another soul.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I wish I went into Outer Wilds as blind as you, I knew a few things because of internet osmosis and while it is still one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had, I wish I could have been surprised by a couple things.

Namely the supernova and the time loop itself. (don't look at this one, it's for other people who've played)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

exquisite tea posted:

Don't try to make any sense of the story though -- the script is basically 100% machine-translated

Was tentatively interested until this.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Editting a post out when posted in the wrong thread is cowardice imo. Just add a wrong thread note to the end

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't think anyone expected this outcome

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

imo the time based constraints actually help Outer Wilds. If you miss a window to do a specific thing, then you go off to fly to some other planet and do some other task, it creates this ad-hoc feeling to the exploration. Sometimes your plans don't all go as you want them, that's the fun of exploring.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jack Trades posted:

Do zoomers like that type of writing maybe and all of us are just too old for it?

EDIT: I mean...someone must've thought that it was a good idea.

The only game I've seen do quippy writing actually well is Guardians of the Galaxy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Human-controlled Juliannas introducing an element of chaos to your pre-planned routes is part of what made Deathloop own, imo.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Serephina posted:

I hate you for making me look that up. "Fiction where someone falls through a portal and meets a new world" for anyone watching at home.

I remember when we used to just called that portal fantasy

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

OzFactor posted:

Extremely wide and unfathomably deep. Troubleshooter is very good, only suffering from a general problem of too many things. It could cut like twenty gameplay systems and be a bit more streamlined... but also it's whole everything, all of the things is kind of part of the charm so who cares. But yes, the build crafting is second to none, it's FFT on mega-steroids.

Can you respec your characters?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

PoE2 and DOS2 are both extremely good in different ways.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fruits of the sea posted:

I know you’re criticizing it, but this got my attention. How, the art style? Story?

This trailer really tells you everything you need to know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgd4aU56Kig

That, and the fact that it's 98% positive with almost 7000 reviews.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

exquisite tea posted:

Hi-Fi Rush solves a lot of parry problems by having all actions land on the beat. So you never really have to guess which enemy has some wildly unsynced windup attack because you know it'll always come out with regular timing.

I see you have not yet faced the haiku bots

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jedi Academy still rules

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah I really did not enjoy driving the wagon around for ages to get to the actual game part of the game.

Also the whole "entire world has become overrun with lovecraft" didn't really work for me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

GreenBuckanneer posted:

is there a game that has lore presentation like darksouls or elden ring....but has a completely different combat system?

hollow knight

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cowcaster posted:

i'm still here i just realized during my week long binge vacation in mexico not posting i don't want to post anymore

didn't realize that was my last post lol that would've been poignant

Your posts were good and will be missed, but if the forums brought you no happiness then be free of them

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Deathloop is great, don't let naysayers talk you out of it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I said come in! posted:

Finished Greedfall finally. Because I am not feeling good tonight, and really just wanted to finish this game, I ended up getting petty and vindictive against the key NPCs in the story, went the route of war crimes against everyone. Lots of murder, backstabbing, and betrayal was had, but it made no difference in the ending anyways.

In my first playthrough of the Dragon Age trilogy recently, I realised that playing a good guy doesn't mean you have to always take the "good" options. When a group of bandits tells you they're going to take your valuables off your cold dead body, they don't get to be all "oh I have seen the error of my ways" afterwards.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oxxidation posted:

tvtropes lingo completely disappearing from relevance is one of the very few positive developments online over the last decade or so

Fridging was a concept way before tvtropes though, wasn't it?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

it's what your nhandy is attached to

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't think anything about it looks fake or unbelievable, I just can't imagine how aiming would work like that on kb+m unless the game literally aims for you. Having the viewport detached from the aim angle would just feel awful if you have to actually aim your gun and not just point vaguely in the direction of an enemy Doom-style

It looks like the view is following the aiming, just on a delay.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

V Rising rules. I imprisoned someone with high quality blood so I could feed and drain him repeatedly and not have to settle for low quality peasant blood when hunting a boss. The game's mechanics absolutely encourage you to play like an evil vampire lord from trashy dark fantasy books.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the steam page posted:

Take command of one of three unique factions and conquer your enemies in a twisted vision of the future.

lol

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

is that APA formatted

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I tried the demo of Darkest Dungeon 2 and spent way too long riding the carriage around with only one combat encounter to break it up before I gave up on the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Against the Storm has an interesting thing where it has the usual metaprogression grind and Slay the Spire style ascension difficulty so your level of skill determines how hard you can push the difficulty relative to your progression level.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It has some incredibly creative boss design and owns.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

While starting from scratch again kinda sucks it's fun to have an excuse to build a brand new castle (especially now that there's z-levels).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

victrix posted:

Blasphemous is one of those rare games where the theme was so repellent to me I just could not get into it. Amusingly the other one is Binding of Isaac, though I think that's more the art than the weird christian poo poo.

I realize this is a bad reason to not finish a very good game :v:

I mean when the game's identity is so based around the art it draws inspiration from, if you find that art repellent that's a fair reason to not want to play the game.

I am excited for Blasphemous two.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 1, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Forgot to pause my Humble so I just played through Operation: Tango. A really fun little coop game which plays like a mixture of We Were Here and Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes with a pulpy 80s spy thriller flavour despite being set in the future.

The one complaint is that it's only about four hours long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wait there's an expansion?