Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Has anyone successfully streamed from their gaming PC to another computer (not a phone with Steam Link)? Everything I can find through web searching seems to say it should "just work" but I cannot for the life of me get my library of installed games to appear on my laptop's library.

If you just want to stream use Parsec or Moonlight, no need to use steam's solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Volte posted:

At this point I'm pretty sure most Harry Potter fans have never even read the Harry Potter books.

I mean the fandom was the best part of Harry Potter, so that's just practical.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Wiltsghost posted:

It had over 400k people watching on twitch. It's massive.

And Avatar is the highest-grossing movie of all time. The fact that it's popular now means nothing in the long term.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Mordja posted:

That is a terrible example because despite all the years of twitter mockery and naysaying, Avatar 2 was also huge. Jimmy C don't miss.

Yeah, but no one talks about it. That's what I meant. People talk about Elder Ring because it's an incredibly good game. Sure, HL may, unfortunately, be a success now but I really doubt people will be talking about it in 6 months. Maybe in GOTY season it'll make a reappearance in the media circuit but it'll all be centered on the controversy rather than the game itself.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 7, 2023

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

imagine having the internet right there at your fingertips and completely making GBS threads yourself because you don't understand a word

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Anno posted:

:siren:

Announced at the Nintendo thing but coming to Steam as well

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1623444059514699777

Very happy about this but the characters not being extremely pixelated looks really weird to me.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Ended up buying Midnight Suns because of the free weekend (and the discount). It takes a while to get going but it's really fun and I'm surprisingly enjoying the friendship system.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

WarEternal posted:

Except the guy copied the game design from a mobile game that already existed, almost entirely directly. He also has said so.

Just like minecraft copied infiniminer, doesn't mean that minecraft didn't create the genre. Or wordle being based on an old pen and paper game.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

going to bat for speedhack because it made oxenfree much more enjoyable. same for persona 4 endless repetitive dungeons

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

PC Game Pass really is a mixed bag in that respect. I know that the FO/TES Bethesda games are not nearly as moddable as their Steam counterparts because none of the utilities that hook into the game executable (ala SKSE) actually work. Starfield is likely to be in the same boat.

My plan for Starfield is to go with Game Pass for the first playthrough and then wait for a steam sale to start modding it, since it'll take some time for the mod tools to get released and the dust to settle.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I can't believe I agree with a PA comic. Imagine playing with other people, jeez.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

faantastic posted:

Does paranormasight have a lot of typing? Using a deck and liking it so far but might put down if so

Not really, I think you have to type something maybe four times in the entire game.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I tried playing Dave the Diver but I just can't mash the A button fast enough. :corsair: I wish all games had an accessibility setting to disable mashing.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Omi no Kami posted:

Man, I've been enjoying my time with Dave the Diver but I'm not a fan of the way someone on the dev team went "What if we occasionally had an infuriatingly difficult QTE button-mashing thing?", and the other devs went "That's a terrible idea. We should have all the different infuriating QTE button-mashing things, and you should have to do them constantly."

They've been getting more variety now but most of the initial negative reviews were because of the button-mashing. They even had to lock a thread in the steam forums about it because it was getting too heated. So, they know about the issue but I wonder if they just don't know how to replace the mashing.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

gently caress me

enough with the bangers, 2023

I'm really suspicious about what that studio makes after the Jordan Peterson stuff in The Messenger (and the removed gender joke), especially since it's the same main writer / game director.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

in reference to the messenger, the dev has clarified that he does not support/like jordan peterson now but did when he was younger

That's cool to know, thanks for the context!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Velocity Raptor posted:

My biggest complaint seems to be there are way too many clicks to do anything. To go to another star, hit Tab to open the menu, go to starmap, hit escape to go from planet view to system view, then escape again to go to Galaxy view, click your star, then hold X to set the course, then hold X one more time to confirm.

A detail I missed for the longest time is that you can travel without going to the menu. If you can see the star (or mission marker) you can press A and then X. Then it'll launch into a hyperspeed cutscene right there from the ship.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Nobody who knows how to write low-latency high performance code willingly works in game development, and keeping a lid on poly/texture/draw call budgets requires expertise as well.

It basically all boils down to game development being a severely unattractive field.

It doesn't help that devs constantly get fired or laid off during a game's development process so no one has domain knowledge of their own game by the time they need to optimize.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Speaking of frame rates, I just looked at Alan Wake 2's recommended specs and holy poo poo. I guess its supposed to look amazing though.

I really thought my 3080 would last longer before being relegated to "medium 1440p/30fps, maybe :shrug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kind Words 1 is a wonderful game but nothing in the announcement of the sequel sounded appealing at all.