Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'll second the recommendation for the Golden Treasure of the Great Green. It was so much better than I expected. If you like narrative stories, you really owe it to yourself to try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone think we'll ever get a Fallout 5?

Fallout 4 was released in 2015. That was 7 years ago.

Fallout 1 was released in 1997.
Fallout 2 was released in 1998!

Holy cow, cancel my earlier question, Fallout 1 & 2 were released only a year apart? What sort of dark sorcery allowed such fast development?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Give me a game with extremely detailed absurdly granularized random gun stats except don't let me reload guns so that I am always just using whatever I find and it behaves unpredictably every time. Give me a John Wick looter shooter.

e: All the guns you loot go in a queue and display in a "next up" bar on the side like in Tetris.

This would honestly be pretty entertaining.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

What's the best way to play System Shock 2 these days?

I remember people being unhappy with the Steam release when it came out, but I don't remember why or if the GOG version is any better.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

I posted this in the Fresh Releases and Roguelikes threads, but I'm posting it here too because this game is (a) very good and (b) flying completely under the radar

It's a roguelike seemingly inspired by Rift Wizard and Magicka. Released a few days ago, usually $20 but currently on sale for $15. Also it has online co-op and supports at least 5 players at once, possibly more :hellyeah:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1618380/Spellmasons/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256920995/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1671202863

I've only put about 30 minutes into it so far. My initial reactions are very, very positive but I haven't made it very far and don't know how much the complexity keeps stacking up. The video above has the dev explaining and showcasing the gameplay better than I could through text, but here's the more traditional trailer from the steam page:

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256921604/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1671203179

This sounds like exactly what I want out of a wizard game. Going to give it a try soon.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Aphex- posted:

Is HL Alyx worth playing if you've got an OG Vive? I haven't used the thing in years but I'm tempted to give it a go.

I have an OG Vive and had no issues playing it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

A long time I played this game Academagia, which was a kind of text based Harry Potter inspired RPG. I made a character who knew hardly any magic and my main skill was being buff. A lot of bullshit wizard nonsense turns out to be easy to deal with if you hurl a hobgoblin into a tree or can just outrun a zombie etc.

Academagia is one of a handful of text-based games I enjoyed.

They did a really great job with it. Bobbin's LP https://lparchive.org/Academagia/ was amazing.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Dark and Darker is such a bad game everyone should play it at least once. It's so terrible, it will make all other games seem better. As a fun forum game, we can post how many times we died before figuring out how to attack. I only died twice before learning how to cast spells as a wizard.

explosivo posted:

Did they update Dark and Darkest for this demo since the beta? I thought it seemed neat in beta but obviously real early days and still felt jank as hell. I know it's still going to be jank as hell but have there been any updates or is it basically the same game as the beta? Going to try my damnedest to drag a friend or two into it while the demo is available regardless.

Steam comments say yes.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I Am Future Demo
This is marketed as a post-apocalypse "cozy survival game." They got the cozy part right but there's very little player agency, so it feels more like a puzzly-adventure game than a survival game.

What's there isn't terrible, but I think it needs a lot more work. With a release date of next month, I don't think it's going to get it. What's in right now has you completing some uninformative but generally eventually decipherable goals to progress form zone to zone, gaining access to basic equipment as you go. One zone gives you a hand so you can pick stuff up, the next gives you a rusty saw so you can break some things down, the next gives you a backpack and the one after that gives you a dubiously useful fishing pole. Stuff like that. Zones are pretty small so far. The game does have a day/night cycle with replenishing enemies but only some resources replenish - pushing you to keep advancing lest you exhaust your local resources.

The apocalypse was caused by a "rogue" comet. And the MC was a rich person who was going to escape earth with all the other rich people, but wouldn't you know it, was stopped by those dastardly poor people who were upset the rich people planned to leave them behind to die. So I doubt I'd enjoy the story much and the game play isn't engaging enough to get me to want to finish the demo.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

WarEternal posted:

Dungeon Drafters demo on steam Next Fest is pretty fun, the pixel art is good as hell. Feels like a ton of work went into the game.

Were you able to get gamepad controls to work? I wasn't able to figure out how to cast spells and it seemed flaky in general. Even with gamepad controls set from the start menu, all the tutorials still only had keyboard keybindings, which isn't a great sign usually.

I do enjoy how jumpy and upbeat all the sprites are.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 7, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

"oh that's neat, thanks"

"i see, i wasnt familiar with that"

"thanks"

I'm sympathetic to Serephina's OP, but this is still a good post.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Meet Your Maker is definitely getting more fun the more time I spend. At first you're just doing crude puzzles made by other people new to the game, and there's some clever gatchyas but nothing too crazy. Then once you start learning more and build more elaborate traps it's really fun. You can watch Replays of other Raiders raiding your base and it's so fun watching people figure your maze out as they die 3-5x in the span of 2 - 10 minutes.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what some people in the community can come up with for devious, bullshit traps.

My first base has had 22 Attempts and it's killed 29 times, giving it a Kill Ratio of 1.3
My second base, a Medium sized one now that I've got my bearings on the game more, has had 4 attempts and has killed 26 times already for a KR of 6.5 :black101:

You can also apply up to 2 of 4 Tags at the end of a Raid on someone's base, Fun, Brutal, Ingenious, and Artistic. Also fun seeing how people rate your maze afterwards.

Immensely cool concept for a game.

I'm glad you mentioned this game.

The theming would usually make me ignore it, but it's a genuinely fun game. The tutorial works well and raiding is legitimately fun. Some people are assholes and have a single room full of every guard possible - I finally beat that one but I think I'll skip any others I see like that. Others are really clever. My last raid of the night killed me an average of 4seconds past my previous death location 12 times in a row and I was laughing the whole time.

I must be terrible at this game, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Everything dies in one hit, including you. It feels fair in a way a lot of "hard" games don't.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 8, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Inkbound

The Monster Train devs. Turn based, gridless tactics roguelite. Seems like a lot of potential for complex character builds and making broken combos, but the combat was not interesting. The voice acting and writing was very annoying for how little there was.

This was largely my experience as well. I really want to like this game. Nib and Bin are cute. The game's narrative framing of an endless sea of unwritten stories is an aesthetic that really appeals to me. Unfortunately, the combat is just not that interesting. I played the thread-based class and your three abilities are, setup your other abilities, an aoe, and another aoe. None of the incombat choices felt meaningful. You just always cast your big AOEs. All of the upgrades are so small, they don't really feel consequential either, and the demo just keeps going on for what felt like forever.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Volte posted:

Yeah who would ever design armor that was optimized for anything other than mathematical precision

This is a persuasive argument if the armor for males in the game being discussed looks like this. If only women have armor that emphasizes their bodies, then women are being singled out and it should be obvious why that's a problem.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

gonna need to pull in the intersectionality experts to make a decision on this one

Consider me persuaded.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

I guess I'm mainly after a compelling story with meaningful interactivity and something that will run nicely for many hours on the steam deck.
Do you like anime antics or tolerate it?
I can tolerate anime antics to an extent.
Do you like escape rooms? How hard do you like your puzzles?
Puzzles can be pretty challenging. I'm not enamoured with the concept of escape rooms so probably wouldn't play something all about them.
How much sex appeal or fanservice do you want in your games?
Ideally it'd be something I could play without getting awkward questions if witnessed on public transport.

Try Golden Treasure of the Great Green or Open Sourcery. Neither are Chunsoft games so probably aren’t on sale.

Golden Treasure is one of the best VNs in years and you play as a dragon.

Open Sourcery is a surprisingly good indie game and very cheap, so it can be a good way to dip your toes in the water.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Combat is also incredibly lopsided, I've finished the game twice now and the weapon balance is completely rear end. Melee is pretty much unuseable outside of very early game.

Melee kiting is incredibly strong in Riftbreaker. You can easily solo entire waves with most melee weapons until the aliens get artillery units.

The spear (which freezes and so slows) and the gloves are particularly effective.

In my experience, most weapons are very effective when used correctly, but I didn't figure out how to use some weapons effectively until after several playthroughs.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

secretly best girl posted:

I can at least confirm Kite isn't dead

I notice you didn't say they weren't transported into the computer and became a game character, tron style.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

A lighthearted, bright, and colorful ARPG would be amazing right now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Yep, release Suicide Squad, task a skeleton crew to do the 1 year of post launch battle pass support, schedule the "Ending Support of Suicide Squad" Tweet for May 2024, and get the rest of Rocksteady cracking on the next game.

Sick of these studios that should be innovating and perfecting and leading trying to be Destiny 2.

An FPS MMO should be a slam dunk. Execs just seem determined to poison pill them with deeply hostile monetization.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Crystal Party chat:

This has been more successful at holding my attention than anything else I've played in the last month. A few very minor gripes that I'm hoping other people can offer help with.

I upgraded my thief to a fencer, but almost all of the fencer powers need a rapier and almost all the thief powers need a dagger. Is there a way to have access to both powersets?

There are a bunch of magic classes, but they have so few spell casts that it feels like you have to save their magic for the bosses, and even then the trial boss and the one before it both had enough health that I ran out of mp for my casters, so except for a few edge cases where you need a multi-target power, it feels like non-magic dps classes are stronger.

Party comp right now is a fighter/monk. This is a really strong combo, especially once you get aegis since the monk has a self-heal-over-time that out heals the damage from most encounters and the fighter can force mobs to target him.

The aforementioned thief/fencer (a full set of thief skills is pretty rad, not too sure about fencer yet).

A wizard who just mastered her class and I don't know what to switch her into.

A shaman who's been my miscellaneous party member to try other things out with. Not sure what to do with them, but will probably swap them to some sort of non-magic dps.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 27, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Kin posted:

Is VR that prevalent on PC that Half-Life: Alyx has that many positive reviews?

I've always wanted to play it but just can't justify another VR headset after the PSVR on the PS4.

It's one of the best PC VR games, but still has half as many reviews as Doom Eternal.

There are some good games and great experiences in VR, but it would undeniably benefit from more good games to justify buying into the ecosystem. Even the "low cost" Quest is a few hundred dollars just to get started, and PC VR player numbers are a fraction of the total VR player base, which is a small sliver of the traditional game player base.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

Any recent cozy game suggestions? My wife is finished with Wylde Flowers (don't see it mentioned much but she adored it) and looking for something new. She is looking for a life/farm/witch/etc sim but with a proper story.

Played and liked: Stardew Valley, Cozy Grove, Dreamlight Valley, Wylde Flowers
Neutral: My Time at Portia, Harvestella
Not Liked: Rune Factory (stiff gameplay, overwritten stilted story), Animal Crossings (not enough gameplay and story)

Unfortunately she's already played all the best life sims and the ask for a proper story eliminates my usual next suggestion.

Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town very heavily influenced Stardew Valley. It's older and feels rougher in a lot of ways, but if she's looking for a new set of stories, maybe give that a try.

For a good story, maybe try Golden Treasure of the Great Green. It's a CYOA but it's one of the best narratives I've enjoyed in a game and for me it was a pretty cozy game.

I don't usually recommend Pumpkin Days because the controls are a bit rough, but it may be worth checking out since she's already played most of the better options.

Maybe try cross-posting in the Farm sim thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011042

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I tested AssCreed Valhalla, because I was looking for something inoffensive to play with a controller, and holy poo poo the combat feel so bad in that game. I don't remember Odyssey feeling so awful.
Every attack sends your character flying forward and it feels like you're slapping the enemies with pool noodles, and when attacks hit you there's no feedback at all. I didn't even notice most of the time that I was hit at all.
It's particularly lovely even compared to other lovely Ubisoft games.

Maybe check out victor vran for an inoffensive ARPG? It's been a few years since I played, but I don't remember anything bad about it and the way it ties movesets to weapons is pretty cool. It lets you mess around with different playstyles fairly painlessly.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

I assume you know about Cultivation Simulator, so you may want to look into https://store.steampowered.com/app/1201230/Immortal_Life/. A Harvest Moon Cultivator.

Do Immortal Life NPCs have more than one line of dialogue yet?

The farming is fine, but the world feels surprisingly hollow and empty given the central conceit that you are a member of a sect, nominally co-operating with the NPCs.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm finally playing Teenage Exocolonist. I made it to age 14, and I'm pretty sure my colonists are all going to die. I've got food up to -80% and defenses up to 10% but I didn't find anything all last year to increase either and I'm running out of ideas to try.

I've almost maxed out my biology score so I successfully proved that the one food source we had is psychotropic for teenagers (basically it lowers inhibitions and increases mood swings). So, clever colonists that they are, the recalled all the food and won't let adults eat it either, since starving is better than kids talking back to their elders, I guess?

It's a fun, cute game, but a lot of the mechanics are obscured and I'm getting a little pessimistic. The game also leans a lot harder into needing to obey your elders than I'm comfortable with. And I say that as a grumpy old man who thinks kids could stand to listen more.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 29, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone know if the "perk master" coffee looking thing in System Shock 2023 is interactable?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I've been playing though System Shock 2023 (the remaster). They did a really good job of it. The controls work (gamepad is pretty floaty so I've been playing kb+m).

Graphics look good. The intro story is short, sweet, and wonderfully effective. Everything is terrible, it's the player's fault, and if they want to survive, they have to fix it. Mostly by shooting everyone they see. It works really well.

The main thing that struck me is that you can really see a straight through-line from System Shock to Prey. It was really surprising to me just how much was carried forward. Prey has often been called the spiritual successor to System Shock 2, but I never felt like that label quite fit. Prey is, however, a very clear iteration on the ideas in System Shock. Both games have spooky, survival-horror elements, but are primarily FPS's.

One thing that I have mixed feelings about is how few changes the System Shock remaster made. There's no quest tracking at all. You have to listen to/read and remember audio logs, often from an hour or more ago, to know what you're supposed to be doing. Important key codes are presented as just numbers on TV screens, not entirely dissimilar from purely cosmetic displays. There's a real sense of discovery and place, but it's also not a convenient game to pick up an put down.

The hacking elements are trippy. They basically put a flight simulator in their fps. Saving is disabled. You have to successfully fly around and shoot everything in one try or start over from the beginning of the "hack." It's the best implementation of a distinct hacking layer I've ever seen and peak 80s cyberpunk.

The ups significantly outweigh the downs. It's a good game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

raven77 posted:

If you're like me, and have had Death Stranding on your wishlist for years, the Director's Cut version is 50% off today! For US, that makes it $19.99.

Question though, is it a good port on PC? That would be the version I get, as I don't have a PS5.

I played it on PC and didn't notice any port issues before dropping it. My problem with the game is that the first several hours of the game are the MC saying "that's a terrible idea. I will never do that. Talk a long walk off a short cliff." And then the next gameplay segment requires you to go do that stupid thing. Maybe it gets better eventually but I wasn't willing to push through and find out.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I wish there was a mod for the SS remake that reduced how much inventory space guns take up so I could carry more of them.

GhostDog posted:

Finished System Shock Remake. I really liked it, it don't know how it compares to the original in terms of difficulty, but as a seasoned scrounger I ended up with tons of ammo and health items. I had to consult a walkthrough a couple of times, it would have helped to be able to make text notes on the map and maybe favorite emails/logs. Combat could use a bit more hit reactions from the enemies. Cyberspace is bad, should have put that on Easy.

For a first proper game release from a studio and a remake of a beloved classic it hits it out of the park imo. If you take into account the development troubles (NoClip has a short documentary about it I think) it's a bit of a miracle tbh.

I ended up with tons of health items too, never felt really flush with ammo though. I ended up using the melee weapons most of the time. It's even the best weapon for fighting cortex reavers (with a berserk patch).

The recycler mechanic is pretty anti-fun, but as long as you only buy mods you probably don't need to interact with it much. I wish I had enough self-control to not pick up everything and haul it back. Even scraping stuff feels bad because you usually get half as much credit after scrapping as you'd get if you recycled something directly (scrapping items usually gives 5 scrap for each credit it is worth recycled, scrap gives 1 credit per 10 scrap, i.e. half value).

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Has anyone found a use for the stamina patches in the SS remake?

I can't figure out a good use case. Fights don't last long enough for it to matter. When sprinting through cleared areas, I want to go faster; not faster then slower for no net benefit.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Oh, yes, I do like the plasma rifle in the SS remake. It's too bad you only get to use it in the last two meatspace levels. I never did figure out how to open the door to leave Security.

I just beat the game and it beggars belief that somebody looked at the boss level and said, yes, that's exactly what I wanted. Take away all the player's weapons and replace it with a slow firing single shot digital harpoon gun. Then we'll make them fight dodgy flying enemies. Perfect! Oh, wait, one more thing, we'll hide the player's health, but give them infinite lives. Yes, we have designed the perfect high tension boss battle. Ship it.

Edit: It was really cool getting to see all the design elements that reached maturity in SS2 in their earlier forms. I'm really impressed by how many elements in SS2 were carried forward from SS1 but improved. Cameras, creepy npc dialogue, AI interactions, energy and inventory management. Audio logs. All already interesting mechanics were iterated and improved on.

The SS2 twist must have been even more mindblowing for people who played the first one. Polito seems to just be Rebecca Lansing but on the VonBraun. When you finally discover who she really is... just wow.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 23, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Jarvisi posted:

It's slightly higher effort than the original boss battle. Where you just flew around in cyberspace and shot a polygon that represented shodan.

I honestly don't know if I'd prefer that or not. At least it'd be shorter.

I completely understand what the developers were aiming for with they cyberspace levels. I too lived through the 80s. It's the best implemented version of the concept I've ever seen. And it's still my least favorite part of the game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Impermanent posted:

I used to be one of those "game writing sucks lol" guys but then I started playing good games.

For example?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mozi posted:

People are complaining about the new Steam UI but personally I think it was a brave and forward-thinking decision to make the back button not work.

Is it only broken for some people, because I just checked and it's working for me. I use a completely vanilla client with no addons or anything.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about System Shock: How central is 'Bashing things heads in with the wrench' to the game? Because quite frankly that was the worst part of the demo for me; There is like no feedback on using the wrench at all and can barely tell when things are being hit.

Not at all. There's no real downside to transitioning to ranged weapons as soon as you get them.

Because your inventory is so limited, you can only carry 2-4 weapons at a time. So a couple of weapons (esp. shotgun) are best off used immediately. By late game you'll have replaced all of the early game weapons and any ammo you have left over for those guns is just wasted.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

Overthrew SHODAN today. fun game, would overthrow again and recommend others do the same. really glad this remake exists since I liked SS2 but the first game appeared to be an advanced BIOS interface and was too ancient for me to try.

I finished it in 23 hours, merely more than twice as long as you have on the 10-hour time limit hard difficulty
What’d you think of the plasma rifle?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Tying your game to a whole separate launcher ecosystem on top of Steam's launcher ecosystem is a great way to make sure I never play your game.

:same:

I hate it when they do add a separate launcher in a “patch”.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharnak is free on the Epic store right now. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Vicky 3 is on "sale" for $70 this weekend. What are goons thoughts? If remember right; consensus at release was that is playable but to wait for DLC if you were on the fence.