Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Can’t wait to actually get something in the sale, but I’ll only be in position to do so on the 4th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
For one of the biggest ones that made me feel really dumb, since the game unblurs them really early: (job) the helmsman is possible simply because (reason) the sketch you have from the beginning shows him at the wheel at the execution, and the crew manifest says there's only one helmsman onboard. That's literally how it expects you to figure it out.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Anno posted:

L2QZC-ZJNC0-JYY0E - Heaven's Vault
Managed to grab this one, been interested in it for a while, thanks!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Googling duck videos but my finger slips and hits the key one letter over.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
If we're going all the way we need to bring back the Computer Role-Playing Game genre.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

RC Cola posted:

What is this?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1194810/Meet_Your_Maker/

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Its most direct inspiration was a 1998 Japanese PC game called Tower of the Sorcerer.

It's basically an RPG-flavored free-form puzzle game. What distinguishes Tactical Nexus in its own right is the Nexus meta-world. The thing is that while you may be able to beat a tower with proper play, you're also fairly unlikely to get the top possible scores initially. But you can still get some meta-currency from lower ranked clears and such, which you can use to permanently power up outside the towers, which starts you out at a stronger position, so you can rerun towers and improve your scores for more medals and, due to the way levels are laid out, you can enable wholly different routes by, say, simply being able to kill slightly stronger enemies without wasting much if any health, so e.g. you can start going north on a floor instead of having to go east since that was initially the only way you could survive long enough to build any resources before.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ulio posted:

My man is using vegetable pricing method for games.
Selling a zip bomb for infinite money.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

Larian really seem to get what makes tabletop gaming so fun. Give the players a ton of options, let them improvise and do creative stuff. Helps that a lot of Larian folks actually play TTRPGs.

The D:OS games came close to evoking the same feeling at times. I think it's limited what you can do within the bounds of a videogame but I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do on their third attempt.

They can't write a gripping narrative but I'm hoping the npcs are at least ok. Looking forward to it!
I played through D:OS 2 with a friend over the course of months, we just generally did a big encounter or two a day. It had tremendous tabletop campaign energy that way, given we'd usually stumble upon some new dumb sidequest with goofy NPCs most sessions. Was a lot of fun, we barely had any planned synergy, just took stuff that sounded cool (I played a buff/debuff-heavy "cleric" and a sneak-attack thief, friend went fighter and summoner). Had that feeling of Game Night.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Marvel Heroes didn't have great loot but it did have the configurable Loot Vacuum (that auto-converted junk into credits) so you could just have ridiculous piñatas exploding everywhere then suck up everything but the relevant drops, even if 99.9% of the time you probably weren't going to do much more than use what was left as grist, too. But hey, sometimes you got another pyramid so you could slap a teleport on another character in the roster (at least until the movement update near the end).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Brick Shipment posted:

Assuming I'm not getting any of the dlc, is there a reason to not buy Total War: Warhammer 2 instead of 3, which is twice the price? Does 3 have more content and better QoL or something? Is there a dlc that is typically regarded as essential by players?

Never played a TW, so I'm not sure how their releases really work.
With the way the Mortal Empires/Immortal Empires campaigns work, you can treat the earlier main games as sort of essentially DLC packs for the later games. (Though at least without mods you're only playing the actual original story modes in their home games.) Although, they did make the base games required to start your own Immortal Empires campaign, come to realizing it. v See below. v

If you get Total War: Warhammer III, you have access to Grand Cathay, Kislev, and five Chaos factions (one each for Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, and Tzeentch, and a fifth for Daemons of Chaos with a customizable Lord). III-exclusive DLC also adds the Ogre Kingdoms and Chaos Dwarfs (and some additional subfactions DLC). That's basically your races if limited solely to this release - but Immortal Empires is a massive campaign that lets you use ANY previous game's races you own - Total War: Warhammer II has High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, and Skaven in the base game along with Tomb Kings and the Vampire Coast in the DLC (with additional subfactions/lords DLC). The original Total War: Warhammer has the Empire, Bretonnia (with a free DLC), the Greenskins, the Dwarfs, and the Vampire Counts, along with DLC for Warriors of Chaos, Beastmen, Wood Elves, and Norsca (with additional subfactions/lords DLC). So owning the previous content opens up a lot of playable options in the Immortal Empires (Total War: Warhammer II also has Mortal Empires which is the same idea but doesn't backport from III).

This is why there's an Immortal Empires package deal with the base games of 1 & 2. (Also because you can't play without them, lol edits) v Well, egg on my face since I haven't gotten to 3 yet, but good to know! v
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/immortalempires

But also yeah you don't have to get any DLC you're not interested in playing at the moment because there's already a lot of game with just stock races and it's mostly to enable new playable options.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 16, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm not sure what the largest widely available release on floppies was.
Office '97 was up to 55 diskettes, but that was also only through special order - the retail release was on CD-ROM.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4784-4F2B-1321-800A

Windows 7 and Windows 8 Support posted:

As of January 1 2024, Steam will officially stop supporting the Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems. After that date, the Steam Client will no longer run on those versions of Windows. In order to continue running Steam and any games or other products purchased through Steam, users will need to update to a more recent version of Windows.

The newest features in Steam rely on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which no longer functions on older versions of Windows. In addition, future versions of Steam will require Windows feature and security updates only present in Windows 10 and above.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead deserves a mention in addition to all the other ones mentioned.
Conveniently, it just had a Steam release, though as the top reviews note: it's mostly as a form of supporting KorGgenT and to proactively prevent anyone unrelated to the main developers from uploading a version to the store. There's achievements and cloud saves added for the Steam version but that's it, the game is simply the latest stable release, and they're not going to stop developing the free version.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A friend says it feels off visually, like the sprites aren't correctly scaled to an integer, and hates the new font, but otherwise it's Battle Network and plays fine.
Random example grabbed from Steam.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Translating the language is only ever "essential" to figure out like maybe one or two of the super secret treasures that have no bearing on actual game content (i.e. no endings or fights are locked behind them) without trial and error, but there is a bit of slightly obscured logic towards getting the "true" ending (the game does give all the necessary information you need but it might take a bit to cotton to putting what it's telling you to do into practice).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Brightman posted:

I'm gonna go see if I can figure out the last side-job I accepted where the only instructions I received were "Ask the staff for Garcia". No idea which staff at what business...so...not too hopeful about solving this one.
Edit: After typing all that, though, duh, the specific thing about those instructions is just asking the staff at the place you found the note. You'll get a new dialogue option that you were supposed to "Ask for Garcia" and the person working there should give you something to start the job.

An interesting thing about Shadows of Doubt, especially with side-jobs, when you have real sparse information is that you can always try finding out more information about who listed the job. You might have to get real creative depending on how you get the job details - like if it's a phone call, you might have to go searching call records to track down where a call was made at what time, or if you meet in person you might try tailing them home - but generally once you know how to find the job's commissioner, you can usually drastically narrow your search parameters for the intended target - even if you don't find any specific clues written down at their home or in their v-mail, they're usually after people they know like neighbors or co-workers. It's not a guarantee that the game didn't have an error in case generation, but in a game all about detective work, it's kind of cool to be able to sleuth it out like that, no?

I did get the bug of phasing through an apartment wall while standing up from a bench, though, so game's definitely still got some jank.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 27, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

The Golden Idol DLC's out, y'all. It's very good but also very short (beat it in less than two hours) - but hey, it's more Golden idol.
nthing the playtime and worthiness. Was fun to poke around in that world again and make some further deductions.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
For me it took a bit for one element for me because I guess I read the map wrong, but otherwise it was really satisfying fitting all the pieces together mentally of how it went down even beyond the answers needed for technical completion.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

SavageMessiah posted:

Now you never install or play it. Simply stare at it in your library and wonder why you bought it. This is the way of steam.
Hey, now, it may be early but you've forgotten a crucial step - buying a bundle and/or redeeming a key for it later on, realizing you already had it, and wondering when and how you got it before.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Ice-Pick Lodge has been continuing their ARG thing too of recent, with cards that went to Kickstarter backers having clues that led to this account which posts images on occasion, seems nobody's solved the latest image in a week or so?
https://www.reddit.com/user/FyodorVitin
All hinting at the Bachelor route, so I suppose it's not dead yet.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I wish more devs would implement configurable button displays in their games but it's just a rare treat instead. Not the end of the world that they don't, just a bit irritating as someone with decades of built up association with different labels.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

there's also a sale on most platforms for Capcom's 40th anniversary so stuff like Megaman Zero/ZX Collection is $10 for example, Capcom Arcade Stadium 1 & 2 bundles are on sale, etc.
Thought about mentioning it before since the 40th anniversary sale started days before the show, but the Capcom 40th Anniversary Pack is a pretty good variety package starting at $50 US

quote:

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
Resident Evil (2002 Gamecube remake)
Monster Hunter: World
Mega Man Legacy Collection (the NES games, I-VI)
Devil May Cry HD Collection (the PS2 trilogy, 1-3)
Okami HD
Onimusha: Warlords
Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle (Final Fight, Captain Commando, The King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, Warriors of Fate, Armored Warriors, and Battle Circuit)
STRIDER (2014)
It's in the Steam "complete-a-bundle-for-less" style, too. They're all pretty solid titles at minimum, and the only thing to note here is that World is the base game (Iceborne is 50%, too, currently).

There's also a Capcom Fighting Bundle on sale with

quote:

Street Fight 30th Anniversary Collection (arcade versions of Street Fighter, Street Fighter II, Street Fighter II CE, Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting, Super Street Fighter II, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Street Fighter Alpha, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter III: New Generation, Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact, and Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike)
Capcom Fighting Collection (arcade versions of Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors, Night Warriors: Darkstalkers’ Revenge, Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire, Vampire Hunter 2: Darkstalkers’ Revenge, Vampire Savior 2: The Lord of Vampire, Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness, and Red Earth (*1 Vampire Hunter 2: Darkstalkers’ Revenge and Vampire Savior 2: The Lord of Vampire are Japanese versions only))
for a lot of older Capcom fighters if you're not on the Street Fighter 6 train yet. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite are also on sale, but it looks like Street Fighter IV and V aren't (they probably will be in the Summer Sale, though). In fact, it looks like pretty much EVERYTHING in the Capcom catalog currently purchaseable on Steam is on sale except the Street Fighters from 4-6.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Is there a way to show the news popup that appears when steam launches again? It bugged out because I updated my GPU drivers, but I always enjoy browsing through it.
You want Update News from the menu.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
how far back?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

fit em all up in there posted:

Do you need any of the Don't Starve Together DLC ?
As far as I'm aware, the paid Don't Starve Together DLC is all either cosmetics and/or character unlocks, and are more to quickly obtain them at that, because there are in-game ways to unlock things through grind/trading instead. The wiki says it takes about 5-ish weeks of moderate playtime to afford one character unlock, of which there are four. All real gameplay additions for DST have been free, in contrast with the original Don't Starve, which has DLC expansions (and is a separate game branch).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

One of the many alien comics have to had done that at least once

It's an android designed to look like an alien.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

how anime is the witcher 3
Way too anime for my tastes, made it hard to make progress.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Assepoester posted:

SNES JP with the ability to save added is an actual good zelda game with weird 3D FPS segments

SNES JP2: The Chaos Continues is a pretty good 2 player coop contra

Gen/MD Lost World is a good overhead Chaos Engine/Commando like with weird 3D segments

The rest are mediocre but you get 3 good games out of it, I think the 8-bit versions were just demakes of the 16-bit games though, so probably nothing notable there
Gen/MD JP was pretty well-regarded as a platformer of the era (and also having the gimmick of playing as either Dr. Grant or a velociraptor), developed by BlueSky Software who'd later do the Vectorman games, though opinions aren't universal there. The follow-up game, Rampage Edition, is basically more of the same, though the action is more geared to fighting.

...But that's irrelevant for this collection since it's only the Nintendo system games. NES/GB Jurassic Park, SNES Jurassic Park, SNES and GB Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues.
At a guess they only got the Ocean game rights.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

I only ever saw that after much troubleshooting and even an OS reinstall so Gamepass just doesn't exist to me.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Sloppy posted:

Anyone tried the new Might & Magic Clash of Heroes definitive edition? I was super stoked but it's getting murdered in the reviews which is a huge bummer.
The anger in the reviews seems to be largely directed at the business practices involved. It's basically the same game as Clash of Heroes (vanilla), with the Villains DLC included (which was MP only) and one (1) new Hero added (for MP only), and some new art (that replaces the old with no way to, say, toggle the old portaits). The previous version of the game had its support ended and online multiplayer shut down, and anybody who owned it who wants to play online multiplayer again has to buy the new version. It is otherwise still the same game and gameplay, so there shouldn't really be anything wrong with its playability per se.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The season pass is more story content and the Gold Edition comes with it at about half the cost of buying it separately from the main game, but I recall people disliking what it makes Kassandra do.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2450820/Radiant_Silvergun/
!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The fighting game is titled 三國無双 (Sangoku Musou), the battle fields brawlers are titled 真・三國無双 (Shin Sangoku Musou). Koei considers the second its own distinct series, but for localization they kept the Dynasty Warriors title already they'd used for the fighting game which leads to the number discrepancy. Otherwise it would have been akin to naming Dynasty Warriors 2 something like Super Dynasty Warriors in the west instead.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The gifts panel was fine for me, personally, once I realized the full goings on and why the accepted box colors were split.
But I do agree that the third case was a let-down as a puzzle with pretty much everything directly laid out at that point and the only bit that even really needed some extra checking around was noticing one item being carried in the earlier scene. A lot of reused words in so many spaces, too.
Overall I enjoyed my hours with The Lemurian Vampire, a bit bittersweet that the Case is fully over now but I'm looking forward to whatever the devs do next. Would recommend the full package to anybody who likes this kind of deductive game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Artelier posted:

Do we have a Void Stranger thread do we have a Void Stranger thread I need help B129 is kicking my rear end
Sure do, it's exactly as CIA-redacted as you'd expect.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041253

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Void Stranger is 99% un-horny, that's just a dumb little hidden gag and also the setup for another hidden punchline later on
But once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1701685282129539485

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They meant to give away Ricochet 2 to everyone for free but the source code got misplaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zetsubou-san posted:

im sure the developer with 53 games published since 2022 will survive
To be noted, most of their Steam releases are ports of their extensive catalog of older mobile games (which, themselves, were also frequently ports of their older PC games). Game Dev Story originally came out in 1997, although it wasn't a breakout hit until the 2010 phone version. They do still have a brisk development, though - 2022-2023 saw 8 new mobile releases.