Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm still leaning towards not picking this game up unless it's sufficiently gay tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I dunno. Ignatz and Marianne in Three Hopes conduct some field research on getting pegasi to accept male riders.

Doesn't go so well for Ignatz.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
All getting rid of S ranks means is I'll only advance pairings I want to A rank and end everyone else at B.

I mean, that's what I did in 3H most of the time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Junpei posted:

I'm talking about the broader "S Ranks destroyed discussions of FE characters" point

I think it largely comes down to whether you think of Fire Emblem as first and foremost an RPG, or primarily a strategy game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Last Celebration posted:

Really? Goddamn, isn’t her A-rank support with Shamir, the hot sniper she constantly hangs out with, literally a proposal? Some people truly are brokebrained.

To me, she's obviously just bisexual. Probably favors women, but she also does explicitly state in one of her supports that she likes men.

I found the issue to be that the list of characters who could marry Byleth as the same sex was vanishingly small, even though most of the cast had at least one ambiguously to explicitly romantic relationship with someone of the same sex - think Catherine/Shamir, Hilda/Marianne, Dimitri/Dedue, Felix/Sylvain.

Which in itself would not necessarily be a problem if not for how everyone could marry Byleth as the opposite sex.

Everyone's straight for Byleth but very few are bi for Byleth, and I found that incredibly frustrating.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

I had so much fun actually playing Conquest that I can't possibly rate it lowly. I know its gameplay isn't everyone's style but it's probably the most satisfying I've found tactical RPG combat.

All three of the mainline FE games I've played have had something I thought they did better than the rest.

Awakening had my favorite all-around story of the bunch, light-hearted comfort food.

Fates, specifically Conquest, had the most enjoyable tactical gameplay of the lot when I'm in the mood for that. Birthright and Revelation had no redeeming virtues.

Three Houses had the best art design and canon bi characters who weren't completely abhorrent.

I hope Engage will bring something unique to the table, but there's enough in the previews that I've found off-putting that I'm waiting to see what word of mouth says after release.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 13, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If you look beyond the mainline games, though, I think my favorite FE protagonist has to be Shez. She's a bit of a dumbass, but she knows it, and she's funny and easygoing. The game's willing to poke fun at her and she can laugh at herself, and she doesn't end up worshiped by everyone - Seteth in particular comes to respect her in their A support but simultaneously makes it clear that he does not personally like her and requests that she keep things strictly professional.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think one of the big issues with 3H's writing is that it struggles to come up with a reason for the Kingdom and Alliance come to blows.

Houses has Dimitri go batshit, which, fine if you're not on his route.

But all Hopes can do it butcher Claude's character and turn him into Edelgard's mini-me instead of giving Claude organic reasons of his own to pick a fight with the neighbor that didn't invade his nation in a war of imperialist conquest.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Endorph posted:

frankly hopes is the only time claude's had a character

I liked him in Houses as the friendly guy who doesn't take anyone's word about anything, doesn't jump to conclusions, and is patient about working things out when he knows he doesn't fully grasp the situation. The guy without Dimitri's neuroses or Edelgard's sociopathy.

I always took his poo poo about being shady as just a false smokescreen he was throwing up because he was used to faking being dangerous, and he didn't realize he didn't need to bother.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well this is discouraging. :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Motto posted:

Reviews are dropping today and they all seem to praise the gameplay, but swing anywhere from 5/10 to 9/10 based on how down they are on the simpler story and reduced social mechanics.

Key points in everything I've looked at seem to be:

* Much greater focus on the tactical gameplay, most maps hew closer to the old games or Fates: Conquest than to Awakening/Birthright/Three Houses model.

* Social/RPG aspect of the game severely cut down and simplified.

* Intentionally simplistic, light-hearted story mostly running on 'Look at this cool thing!' rather than complex motivations or world-building.

* How much you liked Three Houses will probably determine whether you like this one. Three Houses fans probably won't care for Engage, but people who thought Three Houses was too dark, gritty, and ambiguous will probably appreciate Engage as a return to form.

* Incredibly anime even by the standards of the series.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
3H was incredibly ambitious, for good and ill.

It was crying out for good DLC, not Cindered Shadows.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

I don't know if twitter hashtag browsing is any indication but this game is receiving a warmer reception than I expected. Most of what I'm seeing are people sharing clips and screen shots of hilarious supports or the occasional meme about the characters, sorta like what people were doing with 3H when it just came out.

Tbh, watching Zoran's stream of the first few hours of the game has convinced me to pick the game up. I feel like I could do with some campy fun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

Campy fun is exactly what it is. And the few moments so far when the story actually tries to be serious land pretty well, though I think a lot of that is on the quality of the acting in those scenes. The acting can be kinda flat sometimes, but when things get serious, everyone steps up really well.

Sounds good. Once I recalibrated my expectations for anime the game on the stream felt a lot like Awakening, which I did enjoy, so I'll probably pick it up once I finish my current Three Hopes campaign.

I am curious how viable thief Alear will be. It's kinda been a thing for me since Awakening to make the PC for my first run a thief, and it looks like Alear can pick up the requisite proficiency from Lief or Micaiah.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Junpei posted:

Engage got me like

Chloe's bisexual as well, according to the dataminers who looked at the s-rank conversations. So much wholesome gay energy in her C support with Celine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Endorph posted:

every character's bi, just only with alear

The version I heard was that everyone can s-rank with Alear, but only certain s-rank conversations are actually romantic for Alear of the same gender.

I'd be happy to be wrong about that, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

The S-rank conversations are all the same between male and female Alear. The ones that are less romantic or non-romantic are that way for both genders.

Huh, nice. Good to know.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

brb sticking Dimitri on her so the grass-eating weirdos can do their thing in peace

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Picked this up, made it through the tutorial.

Training myself that Engages are there to be used, not a last resort, is going to take some mental rewiring.

Although managing to feed Lumere to Framme in the tutorial since I'd already gotten Alear to level 2 was entertaining - Alear's counter left her on just 2 HP.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've made it to the Somniel, and... I'm actually liking Alear as a character so far? She's a very different breed from Robin, Byleth, or Shez, that's for sure. Maybe a more consistent Corrin (those being the FE games I've played before this), though my closest comparison is honestly Flayn from 3H.

Still, for the mood this game is going for, I think she's working nicely and her VA is doing a fine job.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hmmm. I've never seen anyone mention using Marth on Etie, but I'm getting very useful results from it. Rapier gives Etie some much-needed flexibility on engagement (hur) range and effectiveness against cavalry and armor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A couple questions. I've made it to the point of picking up Celine and her posse.

1. I know there's a way to change everyone's Somniel outfits, but I can't find it. Where is that option hiding?

2. I created some bond rings so everyone can earn some SP. Where's the button to equip them?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Alear why the hell do you not lock the door to your bedroom when you go to sleep when you have these weirdos living in your house.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

"Watching the Divine Dragon sleep has been a religious observance for a millennium and we're not about to stop now that you wake up sometimes" - all of Elyos, apparently

At least no one I've picked up yet sparkles when they're not Engaged...? :v:

In general, this game's scratching a pretty different itch for me than Three Houses did. This one's a turn your brain off and go with it cartoon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I had a thought. I know Celine gets Ignis, and she has decent STR and MAG growths. A loading screen just noted that brawling in this game uses the average of both STR and MAG to calculate damage.

Would Celine make sense as a qi adept to go into brawling?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

The one issue here is that Ignis is tied to Céline's Vidame class. She can't carry it over to a Qi Adept class like Martial Master. But her stats would support going brawler just fine, no reason it wouldn't work.

Kanos posted:

She won't have Ignis if you move her out of her unique class. It's the class skill of Vidame and class skills don't carry between classes.

As for making her a monk, it could theoretically work, but for some completely perplexing reason the martial artist class doesn't have any speed or dex growth at all and she's fairly shaky in those areas to begin with, so you'd need to shore her up somehow with either stat inherits or Tiki.

Hmmm. Didn't realize that Ignis was tied to a class, but I'll still consider this if her growths hold up.

I think I want a Qi Adept around for Chain Guard and Framme's voice and personality annoy the hell out of me, so Celine is looking like a candidate for the job if she's still looking viable when second seals start coming around.

Also, I'm continuing to have very good results from Marth!Etie. That flexibility in attack range, and being able to swap between anti-flier work and anti-armor/cavalry, is coming really in handy for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kanos posted:

Other potentially good early monk candidates are Chloe and Anna. Both of them have decent to strong magic stats and enough speed/dex that martial master whiffing on those doesn't leave them out in the cold.

The problem is you need the Tiki DLC to make most people monks early on because none of the early base game emblem options give arts proficiency.

Oh, that's unfortunate. I don't have the Tiki DLC because I don't give a poo poo about Tiki. I thought monk would be based on staff proficiency, not that brawling was still a separate proficiency of its own.

Anna as a monk candidate does greatly amuse me, however, so I'll keep that one in mind.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Notty posted:

It really is wild that 3H has created an entire generation of fans not of Fire Emblem, but of Three Houses specifically.

This really is just the Persona/SMT split all over again lmao

It was them finally adding meaningful LGBT representation - with no wink-wink-nudge-nudge chickenshit - in 3H that pushed me over the edge into getting started with the series, even if I actually then bought Awakening first because I didn't have a switch at the time.

I do like the modern iterations of the series, but I think I'm always going to be wary of a new Fire Emblem release and try to evaluate whether I think it hits the right notes for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm continuing my own progress through the game, a few thoughts.

1. This game is definitely harder than 3H, even on Normal, and I have some habits to unlearn - particularly regarding just how dangerous enemy phases can be, at least early on. I can't just plonk a character in range of half a dozen enemies and smile calmly, at least not early on. In the meantime, the time crystal's getting a real workout.

2. What I'm finding I value Marth and Sigurd most for is the on-demand access to anti-whatever weapons without needing to actually pack them. Having a rapier and ridersbane in my pocket, especially when they let a character reverse their normal weapon triangle (Alear with Sigurd) or give them range options they wouldn't normally have (Etie with Marth), has been a huge boon.

3. The description of the womens' swimsuits noting that this design leaves weird tan lines made me giggle.

4. My brothers and sisters in Lumera what the hell is wrong with you wackadoodles. After getting C supports for Alear and almost everyone on the team, I'm amazed Alear hasn't run screaming for the hills.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Actually... is Vander literally the twins' dad, or just their mentor?

How the heck do you even get that job?

...Or given that Chloe immediately asks about installing her own bed in Alear's bedroom, maybe it's a self-selecting kind of job.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FrickenMoron posted:

Who's everyone dedicated axe user on maddening? I'm having a hard time seeing anyone fill that role really.

I've been watching Zoran's streams at work and he likes Diamant for the job.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ungulateman posted:

s ranks are mostly useful for people who want to control what their paired endings are tbh

In 3H all it meant was that A-ranks for everyone who wasn't Byleth were s-ranks. Characters only get paired endings if they had a-ranks, so if you wanted to completely control your paired endings you just stopped all supports with everyone who wasn't Byleth at B.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, getting bond levels up to 5 for inheritance is pretty cheap compared to the amount of fragments you get, huh?

I've taken to getting my main fighters so far up to 5 with Marth so they can pick up Perceptive. 250 SP for a scaling Avo buff when initiating combat seems like a very good investment considering how player phase intensive this game seems to be.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another question about Emblem training:

Now that I'm starting to get immediate wants out of the way, I'm thinking about assigning Emblems to start work towards proficiencies for unlocking future classes. I also noticed on the wiki that most mounted/hybrid classes tend to restrict to A or B rank weapons.

Is this a big deal, or is it worth it to stay in the focused classes that get s-ranks weapons?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

IMO the S-rank weapons are cool but they're not remotely worth planning a character's whole build around.

That said, characters get +1 weapon rank with their specialty weapons. For example, the lance version of Griffin Knight normally has A-rank lances, but Chloe has lance talent, so she can use S-ranks.

Huh. I never noticed a talent thing on the character screen, I'll need to give that a closer look. Thank you!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cheetah7071 posted:

She's the best pegasus knight since like, Marcia, I think.

Ingrid can solo half the final map of any route in a single enemy phase on Maddening. Chloe's got a lot to live up to with that assessment. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That awkward moment when you end a battle before sucking all the xp dry because you forgot that it was just defeat the boss, not defeat all opponents. -_-

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
When do second seals and master seals become available for purchase? I've made it to Brodia, and my main team are all level 10 now.

And the RNG is heavily favoring Framme so far, she's turning into a murder machine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I missed out on pummeling Goldmary because I took out Hortensia. :(

Rosado did get his face caved in by Framme (with some help from Yunaka), at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Augus posted:

reviewers are just suckers for that social sim crap

That 'social sim crap' has been a prominent part of every successful modern FE game.

I mean, I'm having a good time with Engage, but I'm also mashing the + key to skip cutscenes because I have little patience for this dreck.